Everlasting Pea [SURONG]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

For Chubby28 + SnowWhiteys + surong-exopink

Everlasting Pea

Mr Kim and Mr Park were both staring at their newborn children through the window of the hospital's nursery. Both men were CEOs of the largest companies in South Korea, and we're business partners, who had become fast friends, even more so when their wives gave birth on the same day. As they watched their children side by side, they couldn't help but think how much stronger their companies would be if they became a family.

"What's your daughter's name?"

"Park Chorong.  And your son's?"

"Kim Joonmyun."

"Wouldn't it be nice if they dated in the future? Then you and I would be family..."

"Wow...can't even imagine you and me being in-laws..."

"We can, you know?"

"How?"

"Marriage. When they both turn eighteen, they will be engaged to each other."

"I don't know..."

"What's wrong? We'll be family. Our companies will be stronger, and I'm sure our kids will learn to love each other. Look, they're smiling at each other..."

Mr Park looked over at his daughter and sure enough she was looking at Joonmyun and even reaching out her hand towards him. He thought for a moment and then turned to face Mr Kim.

"Okay. Let's do it."

They shook hands, and a deal was made.

**********
 

On Joonmyun and Chorong's eighteenth birthday, they met for the first time. When Chorong turned a year old, her family moved to the US as the company expanded to accommodate the western market. Both companies figured that it would be a good move and mutually beneficial in the future when Chorong and Joonmyun would be married.

After a friendly family dinner, the parents sat their children down and told them of the arrangement. However, Joonmyun had been warned by his father beforehand, and although he greatly opposed the marriage at first, he instantly fell for Chorong when he shook her hand at their meeting earlier in the evening. He loved her bangs, and her smile, her cute laugh, and even her voice. He had never heard one like it and found it to be her most adorable and endearing aspect. When their parents told them of the marriage he immediately looked to see her reaction. She was clearly upset and even ran off to her room, but not before giving her parents a look of anger and disappointment. He was slightly disappointed at her reaction, understanding that she didn’t fall for him the way hee fel for her. Her mother was going to go after her, but instead Joonmyun spoke up and volunteered to see Chorong.

"That's a good man, Joonmyun. You're her fiancé now. Take care of her."

"Yes, father."

He bowed to the elders and then made his way up to her room. He knocked on the door, but she didn't respond. When he tried to open the door, it was locked.

"Chorong-ah...I'm sorry, for what they're doing to us...but please, talk to me. We're in this together...I'm not going to hurt you..."

He was going to go back downstairs but he heard the door unlock. She didn't open the door, but he accepted it as an invitation to come in. He knocked again, before walking in. She was sitting against the headboard of the bed hugging a teddy bear that he recognised. He had the same one; only, it had a blue ribbon around its neck with a heart shaped pendant with a 'C' on it.

He didn't know where to sit so he stood in front of her.

"You can sit down if you want..."

He did as he was told, and although he felt a sudden urge to envelope her in a hug, he held himself back and maintained a comfortable distance between them.

"I have the same bear, you know?"

"I know. You told me your name and I had a feeling that's what the 'J' on the pendant represented"

She had a wistful smile on her face, and her eyes lost its brightness.

"Are you okay?"

"Not really...I always thought that I would marry the person that I loved..."

"I'm sorry...”

“It's not your fault..."

"Is there any way that I can make this better?"

"As much as I want you to say that you can cancel this wedding, I think that there's nothing more you or me can do..."

She was feeling resentful, but Joonmyun marvelled at the fact that she accepted everything so quickly. He was even more determined to make her happy in the marriage.

"You're tired...I should probably get going..."

"Ne. I'll see you tomorrow then..."

"See you..."

**********

The next day, Chorong and Joonmyun were shown their newlywed home. Their parents had purchased the house, and gave it to them as an early wedding gift. With the current tension and animosity between the children and parents, the elders thought that it would be best for Chorong and Joonmyun to spend some time together to get to know each other. After a quick tour, the parents left their two children alone.

It was an awkward situation for sure, and neither one of them knew what to say to the other. Joonmyun wondered whether it would be the right time, as he the ring in his pocket. He was going over and over it in his head the previous night, and he thought that he should at least make a decent proposal to her. So, he made a late night trip to the jeweller’s and bought the ring. He made a speech and was confidently going over it in his mind, but the current situation made his confidence falter.

“Chorong-ah…”

She turned to face him. But did not speak.

“I wanted to give you this. I picked it out for you last night…”

He took out the ring and then touched her hand. He felt her flinch, but she did not move. He placed it on her finger and he thought that it was perfect. It was simple and elegant, and matched Chorong’s beauty. In a low voice, she spoke up.

“Thank you…but, please don’t do these kind of things…”

“Why not?”

“We’re in an arranged marriage…”

“It doesn’t matter…I, at least wanted to give you a proposal of some sort…”

“Your proposal isn’t necessary…it’s not like I have a choice whether to agree or not…”

He didn’t know that she could sound so cold, and her words had him taken aback.

“Even if it was arranged, I will be a good husband to you. I’ll take care of you…”

She looked at her ring and touched it, before giving him a sad smile.

“Thank you for your efforts…the ring is beautiful…I have no doubt that you can be a good husband, but this wasn’t our choice to be married…”

“I won’t hurt you…”

“I know you won’t…”

“Then, what is it?”

“We don’t love each other…”

“I can love you…”

“There is no love in an arranged marriage…”

And with that, Chorong walked away.