Viscaria [KYUNGJOO]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

For soshix1279

AN: Inspired by one of my favourite episodes of Awkward…and a sort of late Halloween offering

Viscaria

Kyungsoo does not dance. No matter how much Namjoo would try to coax him to at parties or social events, he would not, and could not dance. He was traumatized. He wanted to dance and have a good time, but the one time that he did, in the seventh grade, he got laughed at, and he swore never to do it again. This was before he met  Namjoo. He hated to disappoint her, or see that pouting face. He always wanted to make her smile. He saw how sad she was when they went to parties and he wouldn’t get up to dance with her like every other boyfriend did with their girlfriends. He told her to just dance if she wanted to, but she always said that she wanted to dance with him. And so, when he refused her aegyo-laced requests, she would smile a small smile at him and then join him at the table. He would try and direct her line of vision away from the dance floor by pulling her into his lap, wrapping his arms around her and then making small conversation. She would play along, but once in a while, he would catch her stealing glances at their friends enjoying themselves, dancing and bopping along to the latest track that the DJ was playing.

When the school set up a Halloween dance, he bought two tickets immediately and presented them to her at lunch thinking that she would be excited. Instead, she shook her head and told him to sell it off to someone else.

“Wae? You love these things…”

“I just don’t want to go…I think I’m just going to stay home that day and finish off some stuff that I have to do…Mianhae…”

The rest of lunch was spent in silence, mostly because Kyungsoo was too busy mulling over why she did not want to go. The only conclusion that he came up with was that she didn’t want to go because the one thing she wanted to do at these parties was something she couldn’t do; and it was because of him. He decided he would change. He decided to get some dancing tips from Yixing.

“Oppa…do you want to study together later?”

“Ummm…can I take a raincheck? I realised that I need to do something this afternoon…Is that okay?”

“Sure…just call me when you’re done, okay?”

“Of course.”

He gave her a kiss on her cheek and then bid her a quick goodbye before he went off to locate Yixing. He spotted him walking down the hallways, showing off some of his impersonations to a few girls who were giggling, not from his impersonations, but from being so close to their crush.

“Yo! Bro! Yixing!”

Yixing looked up from what he was doing and waved, calling Kyungsoo over.

“Sorry ladies…can I borrow him for a second?”

They walked off to the other side of the hallway, as Kyungsoo leaned in closer to him as if to signal that it was a top secret message.

“What’s up, dude?”

“I need your help…”

“With?”

“Dancing…”

Yixing made an exaggerated shocked face and then gave Kyungsoo a strong pat on the back.

“That’s my guy! Finally! You know, those dance moves you made in the seventh grade weren’t that bad…just slightly unco-ordinated and embarrassing…anyways, you going to the dance? Wanna show off to Namjoo, aye?”

“Yes! I need your help so I don’t look awkward when I’m dancing…Namjoo doesn’t want to go, and I think it’s because of me…”

“Cool. After school? Your place?”

“Yep. See you later…”

As Kyungsoo was walking to class, she spotted Naeun.

“Naeun!”

“Hey!”

“Can you do me a favour?”

“What is it?”

“Can you convince Namjoo to go to the dance tonight?”

“Isn’t she going already? I thought you bought tickets?”

“I did. But she said she didn’t want to go.”

“Okay…I’ll help you…”

“Thanks! Here’s her ticket…”

----////----

That afternoon, Yixing was teaching Kyungsoo some dance moves. They had been going over a ‘simple’ routine for about an hour and Kyungsoo still couldn’t get it right.

“Dude! It’s so easy! Why can’t you get it?”

“It’s not easy. It’s so hard! Why are there like five turns in that routine?”

“Fine! Let’s go with some basics.”

He began to go over the ‘shopping cart’, the ‘sprinkler’, the ‘two-step’, and even threw in some shuffling. Kyungsoo could do the moves individually, but when put together he got messed up, even more so when music was playing. He was always off-beat, and it looked very awkward.

“Okay. I’m going to try a last approach. When you dance, don’t think about dancing. Think about having a good time. Think about Namjoo!”

“Okay…I don’t know where you’re going with this…”

“The thing is…when you dance, you don’t see the person dancing, you see the faces that they make…like this…”

He pretended to be Kyungsoo when dancing and pulled some faces like he was having fun.

“Whoa! I totally didn’t notice your daggy dancing! You looked like you were having fun!”

“See! You try!”

Kyungsoo tried and when he finished, Yixing gave a slow clap and had a satisfied smile on his.

“You can do this bro…you have done well grasshopper…”

“Thanks, man!”

----////----

Meanwhile, Naeun was convincing Namjoo to go to the dance.

“Why don’t you want to go?”

“I just don’t want to…”

“Please?”

“Give me a good reason to go…”

“I can’t say…but if you give it a shot, I can ensure that you will love it and you will have a good time…”

“Fine…you owe me one…”

“Let’s get dressed!”

----////----

Naeun and Namjoo arrived at the dance wearing sparkly dresses and over-sized sunglasses in the shape of a star. It seemed as if everyone was crowding around someone, and when Namjoo saw who it was, it made her take off those sunglasses. She saw her boyfriend in the centre of the dance floor, all the girls crowding around him.

“He’s dancing!”

“Oh my god!”

Kyungsoo saw her over the flock of girls and waved. Appropriately so, when he came out to greet her to pull her into the centre with him, he was dressed as Michael Jackson from the ‘Thriller’ music video.

“You’re dancing…”

“I don’t want us to be the couple that sits out the dances anymore…I want to dance with you…”

He pulls out a corsage of viscaria and places it on her wrist. He extends his hand and bows.

“Will you dance with me?”

“I thought you’d never ask…”

They went back to the dance floor and partied for the rest of the night. She noticed that his confidence had gone all the way up, and he was making faces to distract people from his dance moves. She tiptoed to whisper in his ear.

“Thanks for making the effort…”

“You’re welcome…this is actually pretty fun…”

When the night ended, he dropped her off back at her house. Before she gave him his goodnight kiss, she presented him with a paper crown and placed it on his head.

“Because you are the new dancing king…”

“Then I guess that makes you my dancing queen…”

“All hail the new dancing couple…”

And with that, Kyungsoo swooped in for his much deserved kiss.