Purple Lilac [CHENJOO]

The Language of Flowers [REQUESTS CLOSED]

For Shiningbeasts

 

PURPLE LILAC

Chen wiped his sweaty palms against his jeans a total of eight times before Namjoo’s father opened the front door. Chen was so caught off guard, that when he snapped up his head to look at him, he choked on the saliva that he was trying to swallow, leading the older man to grab him by the arm, drag him inside and start patting his back. He then led him over to the kitchen where he was given a glass of water to soothe his throat. Chen had drunk the whole glass when he remembered that in his fit of coughing, he had forgotten to pay his respects to the older man. Abruptly, he got up from his seat and bowed.

“Annyeonghaseyo, abeonim. Please forgive my…umm…”

Chen was at a loss for words, but the older man gave him another pat on the back and reassured him that everything was alright.

“Where do you plan to take my daughter on your first date?”

“Well…I thought we could walk around Hongdae and see if anything catches our eyes…”

“Alright. You take care of her…”

“I will, Sir.”

“Good man.”

And he proceeded to give Chen another stern pat on the back. Chen knew that the intention of the patting was friendly, but he couldn’t help but think that his back was now starting to form a bruise. He was about to try and pretend to scratch his back to see the damage, when Namjoo appeared by the door of the kitchen. Chen stood up, looked over his girlfriend, then saw her father. Sensing that Chen was slightly uncomfortable, the older man put his hand on Chen’s back and urged him to go to his daughter.

“Have fun you two. Stay safe.”

And with that, Namjoo and Chen bowed as Namjoo tugged on his arm and pulled him out the door. As they were walking, Namjoo put her arm around Chen and started touching the area that her father had patted, and started laughing.

“Wae?”

“Are you scared of my dad?”

“No!”

“Are you sure? You almost dying at my front door from coughing when you saw my dad says otherwise!”

“I was just surprised when he opened the door…”

“Okay. I believe you.”

Namjoo gave him a slap on his back and ran off, leaving Chen to yelp from the pain and then try to catch up with his girlfriend. When he finally caught up, he put her into a playful headlock and then ruffled her hair.

“Yah!”

“What?”

“That hurt, you know!”

“Well, you hitting my back hurt too!”

“Aish! I was only joking!”

“Me too!”

“So childish!”

“Then we’re childish together!”

Namjoo pouted and then started to walk in front. Chen mentally cursed himself. Pabo! Why did you say that? And on your first date too!

“Namjoo-yah!”

“What?”

“Are you mad?”

“Maybe.”

Chen made a grab for her hand. She didn’t avoid I, but she didn’t interlock their fingers either. She was mad and Chen wanted to get back into her good graces before the date ended. Although this would be an interesting first date…No! Make her happy…or her dad won’t be kind when he pats you on the back again…

They continued to walk around Hongdae in silence. Chen was a bit jealous looking at the other couples walking around, but he knew it was his fault. He had to make it up to her.

“Namjoo-yah…do you want to eat?”

“Yes.”

“What do you want?”

“Ddukbokki.”

Chen looked around and saw a ddukbokki stall nearby and they walked towards it. He ordered two servings and paid for it. Then he took the fork and fed her one. He could already see that her anger was dissipating with each bite. Namjoo, however, wasn’t going to give up her little ‘grudge’ against her boyfriend easily, no matter how good the food tasted. He’s going to work for it. So, she ate her own ddukkbokki but continued to accept his spoonfuls when he offered them. When they were done, she got up from her seat and then began to walk. Chen bowed to the stall owner and then followed his girlfriend.

“Where do you want to go now?”

“I want some icecream.”

“Ahrasso. I’ll buy you some.”

They went into the nearest convenience store and Chen bought two icecreams. He had insisted on sharing one, but Namjoo eventually got her way and they ate separately. They continued to walk around Hongdae, Namjoo marvelling at the displays in the stores. Chen wound up trying to buy his way out of her silent treatment, by offering to buy the giant stuffed rabbit on display. He hoped she would say no, but she said yes, and his wallet started to hurt. He noticed that she was starting to walk slowly now and sensed that she was tired.

“Do you want to go home? Are you tired?”

Namjoo nodded and they started to walk towards the bus stop when they passed a florist. An idea struck Chen. Girls love flowers! I should’ve just bought her some and maybe she would’ve been happy. This is your chance!

He dragged her over to the front of the shop and picked out the nearest one. He was hoping for a rose, but he saw that they were all the way inside. He dramatically bent down and offered her the flower. She accepted them and smiled slightly. Chen saw this as the ultimate opportunity. He picked a bunch more and went inside. However, when the shop owner told him of the price, he checked his wallet and saw that he only had enough for their bus fares. He kindly thanked the lady but asked for a favour.

“Could I please borrow one?”

“What for?”

“I’m trying to cheer up my girlfriend. I kinda made her angry earlier and it’s our first date…”

“Sure.”

He picked up one flower and went outside. He cleared his throat and started dancing with the flower, pretending as if it was some kind of elaborate prop or dancing partner. This drew Namjoo into a fit of laughter and Chen ended his performance with a graceful bow. She clapped her hands and gave him a big hug. The shopkeeper saw this and wrapped the flowers that Chen picked into a bouquet and went outside and handed them to Namjoo.

“Oh…what’s this?”

“Your boyfriend picked it out for you.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

Chen briefly went inside and followed the lady.

“But I didn’t pay for it.”

“It’s alright. Make her happy. It’s your first date and I enjoyed your little performance. Consider it a present.”

“Jeongmal gamsahamnida.”

“You’re welcome. And the flower means first love. I hope both of you are happy.”

Chen bowed again and went to his girlfriend.

“What did she say?”

“She told me what the flower symbolised…”

“And what is that?”

“First love.”

“It suits us. How did you pick it?”

“It looked pretty. I searched it online.”

“No you didn’t. You probably picked it because it was the closest one?”

“You know me too well…”

“It turned out well even if it was by chance…”

“Like us?”

 

“Like us.”