Caramel.

Black and Blue

for those having exams, FIGHTING!!

 

      “You let him return all of social coupons?” Yoochun has to praise Changmin for his quick smart move. “And he paid his school fee too?”

      “I don’t understand what he is thinking.” Yunho shrugs. “He came to my office, talked sweetly and bam, he returned all the unused coupons to me. He barely used the green ones and the brown ones are untouched.”

      “Junsu knew?”

      “He met me yesterday, apologizing for Changmin’s act and said he’ll try better to make sure Changmin graduate this year. He had tried to change Changmin’s mind. Well, as you said, if Junsu can’t change Changmin’s mind then we can kiss it goodbye.”

      “And?”

      “And what?” Yunho arches his brow.

      “That’s it?”

      “Give it a rest, Chun. Rae Im is unhappy with Changmin’s attitude. Don’t add fuel onto the fire.”

      “Just wondering why Changmin did so.” Yoochun reasons. “Isn’t it bugging you that an eighteen year old decided to cut all of his life support when in fact he could use the support well to make life easier?”

      “He quit his part time jobs too. Looks like he focus on studying more.”

Yunho is slow.

      “How does he pay his school fee if he quits his jobs?”

      “I don’t know. The school said Changmin did pay last month’s fee. Let’s see this month.”

Really slow Yunho. That’s why you haven’t seen how much I care about you, Yunho. Do you think it’s normal for a busy detective to have lunch with you like four times a month? Helping your cases when it’s clear I have urgent other cases at hand? No? Of course you think it’s common. Your logical brain never fails to amaze me. Changmin is much better realizing his feeling fast for Junsu. But you, 26 years old social officer is just too slow.

 

      “sunflower, eh?” Jinwoon glances at a busy reading Changmin.

      “psshh..” Jonghyun shushes Jinwoon. “he’s been studying like a real student lately. If he doesn’t read or doing exercise then he must be drawing. See that thick blue book beside his elbow? He doesn’t allow anyone touch it.”

      “hmm..” Jinwoon glances again. “don’t tell me it’s from his brother again.”

      “tsk.. who else? He gave me scary look when I asked where is Junsu. I was just joking and his eyes smoked toxic.”

      “haha.. that’s stupid.”

      “try.”

      “Nuuhh. I’ve got Taecyon making my life difficult already. Thank you.”

      “that **** never learns his lesson!” jonghyun hisses. “he and his pawns did something fool yesterday. I thought Changmin gona crush them to dust. Taecyon hit him hard on his ribs but Changmin just laughed and said how empty headed taecyon was. I almost broke his nose if it’s not for changmin holding me up.” Jonghyun grits his teeth with fisted palm.

      “I heard about it too. Chansung announced to everyone that Changmin begged and kneeled down asking for forgiveness.”

      “Forgiveness my . If only Mr. Sato didn’t interrupt us yesterday, I would have fried them and had them buttered with ****s before grilled them into sardine.”

      “mr. Sato?”

      “Changmin had just handed his homework essay. Mr. Sato said Changmin left his history notes. He found us fighting because of that and called us to principal’s room.”

A small ball shaped paper is shot to Jonghyun’s forehead.

      “Girls, gossiping outside, please.” Changmin glares.

      “Awww.. our pretty boy min min is so sweet.” Jonghyun puckers imitating a kiss.

Another bigger ball of crumpled paper flicked Jonghyun’s mouth.

 

Junsu enters the flat after a long day in store and campus. He closes the door and finds Changmin sitting on the floor facing the living room table; books are splattered on it while the boy is busy moving his hand on one of the open page.

      “Hi.” Junsu greets, sitting on the couch after placing his bag beside it.

      “Hi. Udon or boiled potatoes for dinner?” Changmin doesn’t look up, too immersed with his sketching.

      “You haven’t had dinner yet?” Junsu smacks the back head of the student.

      “Hey!!” changmin turns around with an angry look.

      “I told you to eat first. No need to wait for me.”

      “Don’t you see I’m busy with homework?” The student pouts, annoyed. “There are two packs of udon left in the kitchen.” He turns back and goes on sketching.

      “I’ve had dinner in the store.”

      “Hmpf.”

      “Changmin!!” Junsu lands his foot on Changmin’s back. “Go eat your dinner!”

      “Not eating if you don’t eat.”

      “Why are you so demanding these days, eh?” Junsu stands up and goes to kitchen.

Changmin grins. He knows Junsu easily gives in to everything he says and Changmin uses it for his personal happiness bullying Junsu.

      “How’s school?”

      “Three Bs and one A-.” Changmin chews his udon. “I would go home late tomorrow. Rehearsal for school’s festival. Is it okay?”

      “How late?”

      “Don’t know. The school opens 24 hours during festival. Preparation and such.”

      “I have morning shift tomorrow.” Junsu pours water on their glasses. “If you are not home by six, I’ll pick you.”

      “No class?” Changmin beams. Go home with Junsu. Yay.

      “Unfortunately no. My evening lecturer is in Australia till next week.”

      “No class till next week?” Changmin hopes. His eyes display what he wishes.

      “Not the whole week, hero. Just this one lecturer.” Junsu laughs. “Only twice till he’s back.”

It means changmin can see Junsu more. Still good news.

      “What are you sketching?”

      “Uhm.” Changmin swallows the chewed udon. “I’ll show you later. We are still eating.”

      “Are you sure you don’t need Yunho’s help anymore?”

Changmin eyes Junsu with a certain look that he always puts on when Junsu starts to mention Yunho.

      “I thought we are done talking about it.” He grumbles in intended tone. “I can pay the school fee myself. Just twice more and it’s done.”

      “You’ll need more for graduation and stuff.”

      “Let’s worry later!” Changmin hints a final line. “I’m using the table tonight.”

 

Junsu changes his store uniform with his casual one. He’s about to go home since there’s no class today. He’d better pick changmin at school. If the boy is alreadyhome, he could meet ms. Trang and talk about changmin’s progress. Well, leave the bike in store.

      “Going home?” Jaejoong appears in the employees’ locker room.

      “Yes, sir. Anything I can do before I go?”

      “Come to my office before you leave. I’ve got something to tell you.”

Junsu nods. He checks his bag and locks his locker before walking to the manager’s office. Jaejoong is sitting on his usual chair, welcoming and signaling junsu to have a seat.

      “Your brother came here and called me out for a ‘proper’ talk.” Jaejoong begins. “He has gut.”

      “I beg your pardon?” Junsu widens his eyes.

      “Hm.. changmin, right? He gave me an envelope filled with money. Paying a part of your loan.”

      “He WHAT?” Junsu couldn’t hide his surprise.

      “Two hundred thousand.” Jaejoong puts an envelope on his working desk. “He asked how much you haven’t paid yet and said he’d cover for that after he graduate.”

Junsu bites his tongue not to say a word. Jaejoong hasn’t finished speaking. He knows well not to interrupt his manager’s speech.

      “I asked him how he got this much money. He said he’s been saving up from his part time jobs. Now, not that I decline his kindness but dealing with you alone has caused headache. I don’t want your on fire brother adds the list of my worries. Your three millions loan will be fully erased next month and I don’t need this money. Give it back to him.”

Junsu takes time to process the long sentences.

      “I accepted the envelope because I appreciated your brother’s effort to make up to you or whatever it calls. He has such bare audacity to come and insult me with this money. Well, he’s eighteen, I understand. We were eighteen once too and we know how difficult it is being a teenager. So, take it home and tell him not to insult me anymore by pushing an envelope into my hand. I’ve had more money than him and I lent you three millions because I trust you.”

      “I-I’m s-sorry, s-sir.” Junsu stutters.

      “Family.” Jaejoong waves his hand nonchalantly. “I have one too. Nevermind. Just make sure it won’t repeat.”

      “I-I really.. don’t.. know..

      “Buy him something as a gift for his courage. Not everyone has a brave brother like yours.”

Changmin. Why? What are you doing? First, you returned your coupons. Then, you paid your school’s fee. Now you even came to see jaejoong and paid for my debt? Junsu goes to school with a fully occupied mind of Changmin. What is that tall kid actually planning? Is this his way of apologizing? Hasn’t Junsu told him there’s no need to apologize? Junsu has rocky difficult past and he doesn’t deny what he did in his teens. He was a trouble kid, a disgrace for his family, a bad apple for his school. He fought like crazy and people stayed away from him for his bad behavior. He sees himself in Changmin. That’s why he cares and opens himself to that high schooler. Why are you doing this, Min? Why are you making it so difficult to keep my feeling neutral? I can’t love anyone after what I did to Junho. I can’t let myself hurt anyone else. Junho was enough. I don’t want to cause the same miserable state to people, especially not to you. I build a tall impenetrable wall around me from people who want to know me better for their own benefit. Ji hyo jumped over the wall and landed inside it because she fought worse than me. Hyukjae made a hole through the wall because he’s such a stubborn busybody but you.. I open my wall for you. Because I see myself in you. I see how much I craved for being cared by people who happen to share bloodlines with me. I see you fighting for a place in the grey world where parents and relative perceive you as burden. It was me years ago. It was me showing fists and kicks everywhere.

      “You came.” Changmin grins bright.

Junsu wants to run away from Changmin’s sharp eyes.

      “I’ll get my bag in the hall. Do you bring bike? Where is it?” Changmin looks around.

Junsu shakes his head weakly; the mild storm inside him gradually escalates to his chest.

      “Wait a sec.” Changmin runs fast to the school hall to get his bag. He runs back followed by another tall student who tries to call Changmin back to the hall.

      “You haven’t finished the decoration for the jungle!!”

      “Tomorrow!” changmin shouts back. He runs faster to Junsu.

      “It’s not fair!” the student extends his hand trying to grab Changmin. “You did the ocean but not the jungle.. oh.. hello.. sir.. um..

Junsu smiles at the panting tall student.

      “Jinwoon?”

The student widens his slanted eyes in wonder.

      “Ah.. I see. You must be Junsu.” he bows politely.

      “Let’s go.” changmin pulls junsu’s hand to leave the school.

      “You can’t leave now. It’s not even six!” Jinwoon protests.

      “TOMORROW!” Changmin yells louder at Jinwoon. His voice is heard throughout the school’s corridors.

Junsu tweaks Changmin’s ear for the high scream.

      “No need to yell that loud.”

      “Ahh.. Junsuuu!!” Changmin pouts. “They made me drawing on and on.” he tattles. “My arms get sore for drawing ocean.”

      “Lunch?” Junsu makes some inches distance.

      “Meatballs. Jonghyun’s treat.” Changmin walks closing the distance. “no quiz today.”

      “Let’s buy something for dinner. What do you want?” Junsu draws gap not to be too close to the taller boy.

      “Chicken soup and rice? But they’re pricey.” Changmin erases the gap again.

      “Pick anything tonight. My treat.”

      “Really? Even skewers? Steak?” Changmin’s smile competes with blinding stage lights.

      “I said anything.” Junsu gives up trying to keep distance. Changmin always cuts the space he makes between them.

      “Alright. Don’t regret what you said.” Changmin links his small finger around Junsu’s.

Why do you make it harder, Min? I mustn’t fall for you. I can’t let this feeling grow more than it already has.

 

 

      “I don’t think I can come to your school’s festival.” Junsu zips his bag ready to leave for work.

      “That’s fine.” Changmin is sketching, doesn’t bother to look up as usual. “I just did the decorating anyway. No performance.”

      “Yunho said he’ll drop by to see the festival. There is new kid he brings along to see the school.”

      “Hmm..

      “Don’t skip lunch and don’t wait for me for dinner. I mean it. Do you hear me?”

      “Yes sir.”

      “I’m going.” Junsu walks to the door and closes it.

      “Steel headed.” Changmin mutters low and lifts his head up seeing the closed door. The pencil in his hand is played among the finger. “Let’s see.. How would I make that skinny bone doesn’t turn into rock everytime I hug him?” He asks his blue sketch book. The raw sketch stares back at Changmin. Junsu’s serious face. “What if I shoot a kiss? Do you think he’ll freak out?” Changmin thickens the eyes and jaw. “and he works on Sunday too.”

 

      “Hey sunflower!” Jonghyun circles his arm around Changmin’s shoulder. “Why so sour? Junsu grounded you?”

Changmin furrows his brow in question mode.

      “Why do you think Junsu grounded me?”

      “Because you always look this disposable when Junsu….

      “SHUT UP!” Changmin kicks Jonghyun. His friend blocks it easily as they know well on each other’s trade mark habits.

      “Come on, cheer up. The school festival will attract a lot of lookers. Imagine all the y girls and handsome boys blending with us. I can’t wait.”

They sit on their respectable desks.

      “Junsu said I’m not allowed to come to store anymore.” Changmin slumps on his chair. “he was serious when he said his words while I have to see his manager to pay for the rest of the debt.”

Jonghyun straightens his back in listening mode. Changmin had told him about the bailing out money when Changmin wanted to get part time jobs.

      “How come? Did you.. did he know about your coming to see the manager?”

Changmin sighs heavily.

      “I asked the manager not to tell Junsu about my visit but I’m not sure.”

      “I can come on your behalf.” Jonghyun suggests. “Though book and me are enemies made in heaven, for you, dear sunflower, I’ll go and see the manager.” He poses smugly.

      “You want to see the manager or you want to see junsu?”

      “Why not both?”

Jonghyun is kicked again. Hard.

 

 

      “How was the school?” Junsu asks to a lying on the couch Changmin, tired and in bad mood.

      “Good for them bad for me.” Changmin sulks

      “Really?” Junsu moves Changmin’s long legs on the couch so he can sit on it too. “Why was it bad for you?”

      “Yunho came to school and wanted a better explanation on how I paid the fee.” Changmin places his moved legs on Junsu’s lap, ignoring the look on Junsu for what he does. “He thought I stole things or something. I showed him the ocean drawing and he frowned. He asked ‘people paid you for those blue paints?’ I really wanted to pour green paint on him.”

Junsu lets out a light chuckle. He taps Changmin’s leg on his lap.

      “He knows you longer and better than people who think your drawing is good.” Junsu grins.

      “Owh?” Changmin pulls his long legs from Junsu and sits up with sourer face. “You don’t think it’s good?” his eyes spark with disappointment.

      “I don’t think it’s good. It’s great.” Junsu smiles. “I don’t understand art but your drawings are giving impressions like they are real. Maybe because you drew food most of the time.”

I draw you a lot lot lot lot but I won’t show them.

      “It’s easier.” Changmin defends with a huff, half smiling. “You always remind me to eat well. It bugs my mind and I draw food because you say them often.”

Junsu punches Changmin’s crossed arms softly.

      “Yunho just wanted to know. He’s curious because he cares, Min.”

      “Hmpf!”

      “Don’t prank him.”

      “Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I know. He’s the man and all. Can I prank you instead?” changmin kicks the table in front of them.

      “Silly. Go change before we have dinner.”

Changmin grumbles as he moves from the couch obeying Junsu. he stands up and junsu notices how tall and grown up Changmin is now.

      “You need a hair cut.”

      “It’s fine the way it is.” changmin touches his hair. The longer the better. Junsu often ruffles his hair. He likes it. Only Junsu is allowed to touch his hair. The others who dream to do so will get a straight punch in the eye.

      “You want the school or Ms. Trang to cut your hair?”

      “Alright!!!” Changmin stomps his feet, marching to his bedroom to change. His lips curl showing his disapproval but he doesn’t protest.

 

The school festival lasts for three days. Changmin helps his class performing their last contribution show to the school on the second day. There’s a presentation from the whole senior year on the last day which busies Changmin more since he is the person in charge for providing properties and the extra sudden demands on the D day together with Jonghyun and several other students including Jinwoon. He’s busy showing and selling his sketches too. His class has a space in the school yard to sell or to show the class’ creation to the visitors. He’s so happy that he is finally accepted by his classmates other than Jonghyun. He is involved in the class’ decision and he’s needed to set the class’ booth decoration with his drawing skill. Tired but happy. Half of the money he gets from selling his sketches will be contributed for class’ graduation party. On the closing day, the school will be open for public till midnight. Changmin is moving fast here and there behind the stage making sure that the performer gets their needed props and no one is missing (common cases in any school festival where couples sneak out somewhere and make out). He puts special eyes on Jonghyun who keeps fidgeting and looks like running away since he is acting as the third prince. Nervous. Changmin hardly find break to take breaths before the shows finally begin. He goes to the aundiences’ benches to find seat but all are occupied. He stands at the far side from the stage because he couldn’t find any good spot to watch. Pfftt.. so much for being a help.

A familiar pat touches his shoulder. Changmin turns and surprises to see Junsu standing next to him.

      “Busy?” Junsu offers a tall glass of iced orange drink. “Drink. I bought it from one of the booths in the yard.”

      “You said you couldn’t come.” Changmin slightly gapes.

      “The class finished sooner.” Junsu says shortly. “And your school opens till midnight. I want to see you on stage, actually.”

      “Told you I won’t.” Changmin drinks the cold treat greedily. Sweet and sour mixed well.

      “Going home after midnight? Or you have some after party with your friends?”

Jonghyun has warned him sternly not to go home. There’s a small gathering for late night snacks and drinks with their classmates after the festival ends.

      “Home.” Changmin decides. “I’m tired.”

      “I can’t stay long.” Junsu looks around at the cheerful noises blanketing them. “Got assignments to do.”

      “Okay.” Changmin is disappointed. He has hoped Junsu could stay and go home together.

      “Had dinner?”

Changmin shakes his head weakly, no appetite to eat.

      “I brought some bread.” Junsu takes out two well wrapped breads from his bag. “I don’t favor eating while standing but tonight we could make some exception, couldn’t we?” he smiles and gives one of the wrapping to Changmin.

The audiences burst with laughter. Jonghyun must have appeared on stage.

Changmin chews the bread lazily; postponing junsu’s leaving by eating as slow as possible. He knows Junsu will not leave till he finishes eating. His Junsu who always fills him just by coming to his school and makes time for him despite his packed schedules. Junsu holds Changmin’s drink while the tall student eats his bread.

      “Where is your bike?” Changmin asks, chewing really slow. “Bus again?”

      “I come with friend.”

      “Friend? Where?” Changmin looks right and left searching for the mentioned friend.

      “She’s busy bullying highschoolers.” Junsu grins. “Never changes.”

She? She? A woman? A girl?

Changmin coughs. The bread stuck in his throat.

      “Drink.” Junsu pats Changmin’s back. “How could you choke? You don’t eat as fast as usual.”

Changmin drinks the rest of his iced orange in one go to ease the thorny bread.

      “You came with a girl?” He asks with unnecessary tone.

      “I didn’t plan to. She insisted to come along when I mention school festival. I could never win against her.” Junsu sighs. “None wins against her.”

Really? Let me change that stupid assumption, Changmin grunts silently.

      “Your co worker? Classmate?”

      “Long time best friend. She came to Greyfair just this morning.”

Great. Someone needs to be told that Junsu is not available for girls or guys anymore. Who is this woman anyway?

      “You never said you have a girl close friend.” Changmin accuses sourly, no more will to chew his bread.

      “I don’t think she’ll come to Greyfair.” Junsu laughs. “She studies abroad. Scholarship.”

Changmin grits his teeth. This girl sounds so capable.

      “Need more drink?”

Changmin scrunches his face. He needs the girl to go back to wherever she comes from.

      “Here. Water.”

Changing takes the water from Junsu’s hand harshly.

      “You can’t stay long here because of her, right? Not because of your university’s assignment!” Changmin doesn’t bother to hide his rudeness. He’s tired from the festival duties and Junsu comes here with a girl. Right!

      “Partly true.” Junsu laughs more. “She promised to help me working on my assignment.”

      “You gonna take her to our flat???”

      “Um.. Yes.”

NO. NO. NO. NO .NO.

      “Err.. I don’t know when you’ll be home after the festival is closed.” Junsu clears his throat at Changmin’s murderous glare, uneasy. “I think I’d better drop by here and.. say this.”

Say what?? YOU CAN’T TAKE HER TO OUR FLAT!! YOU ARE NOT MY AUNT, JUNSU! DON’T DO THAT! I’LL BE HOME RIGHT AFTER THIS. YOU CAN’T LET HER FOOL YOU LIKE MY AUNT DID TO HER MALE GUESTS. NO!

      “It’s three hours earlier, I know.” Junsu gets more uneasy with the intense glare. Why does Changmin eye him with burning fire? He can feel the heat emitted from Changmin’s eyes. “And I’m not sure if you have plans with your school friends to celebrate it or what so.. “ Junsu tries to smile despite the thick glare he gets from Changmin. “Happy nineteen birthday.”

WHAT?? Changmin is taken a back.

      “Happy birthday.” Junsu smiles warmly. “I really don’t know how you usually welcome your birthday. The bread you ate is your birthday cake. No candle though. Say your wish later after you eat your bread up, kay?”

Changmin hugs junsu tight. He’s never got a birthday greeting before. Maybe once or twice when he’s a small kid and his parents were still happily in love. He forgot when the last time someone sent a birthday greeting to him. It’s Junsu. Junsu remembers the day he was born or the day people decided as his birthday since his parents didn’t really do well on his and his sister exact birthday. Junsu remembers the date written on his birth certificate. Junsu comes to school to wish for his birthday. He bought bread too. Stupid Junsu. Stupid bread. Stupid changmin.

      “Min..

      “Thank you.” Changmin hugs the thin man tighter. “You remember.”

      “It’s hard to forget when you mention nineteen everytime I ask you to talk to Yunho.” Junsu tries to breath regularly. Damn it, why does this tall kid have to hug him this close. He can feel Changmin’s fast heartbeats on his chest.

      “Thank you.”

      “You are welcome.. Now let go before people stare at us.”

I don’t care. That girl had better see this as well.

      “Changmin..!”

      “Will you grant me two wishes?”

      “Let me go first, hero.”

      “Grant me.” Changmin insists. He loves hugging the thin Junsu. So warm and filling despite the bones and stiffness.

      “Blackmailing me, huh?”

      “Just two wishes.”

      “Okay. Okay. People stare. MIN!”

Yunho drops his jaw low with widened eyes standing beside Yoochun watching the warm hug exposed amidst the crowd. They stand five meters from Changmin hugging Junsu.

A young woman whistles expertly as she sees the heartful hug her friend gets from a tall student.

      “Finally.” She whispers to herself. “You need to move on from Junho.”

 

 

/wipe sweat/ hoottt here.. i'm melting. phewff..!! oh hai. ^^ happy midweek.