Reverie.

Black and Blue

cheesy brownies, everyone?

 

 

There’s a small house in the neighborhood that roomed two men. A father and a son. it’s located in the corner of Greyfair. Not the edge corner site where gangsters or small criminals lurking out itchy to show their teeth. The house has four bedrooms. One for the father. One for the son. One for any upcoming guest and one for the son’s private work room. The father works diligently as a cleaning service in a company. He also helps people taking care of their gardens. He drinks sometimes with friends but he knows not to get too drunk when he’s home and meets his tall handsome son. He is so proud of his only son. he boasts about his son everywhere and to everyone who would listen to his story. He doesn’t see his son everyday though. The tall cunning good looking with sharp piercing eyes spends his most time outdoors. He is busy working as a freelance art designer. The son has just graduate from one leading prestigious art school and recruited to work in the said art school a month before he graduated. He assists some teachers there by showing his painting skill to potential new students. He refused to work permanently in the art school as official staff because he has his reasons. He takes order to do art project or design but he’s very picky and selective taking the orders. After all he’s just graduated last year. He thinks he still has mountains and oceans to learn about.

The designer doesn’t speak much to his father. He rarely eats at home. He goes home in odd hour and leaves again not long after. People learn not to ask too many questions aside from work or art related subjects. He discourages any potential conversation about his personal life and he is known to his tactless witty smart words feedback when he’s irritated at useless social chit chat. He rides bike everywhere, shouldering an old bag which he guards with his life. The bag has many manual sewn threads in many of its surface but the man refuses to send the bag into retirement. People turn head when he park his bike, taking second check at his long legs wrapped well in jeans or trousers, his lean yet muscular toned upper body and especially at the sharp eyes where you’ll think world stops moving when he happens to meet your eyes for a second or two. He doesn’t bother to mention his name other than three alphabets, Max.

      “Morning, sir.”

Max nods his head slightly replying the warm greeting. He flashes a quick thin smile to two pretty receptionist ladies in the lobby of Andromeda art course.

      “Mr. Alejandro has been waiting for you.”

      “I’ll go to his office.”

The two ladies squeal secretly at the shadow of Max’s prominent back walking firmly to the main elevator. They load the robust back view with their eyes before the tall figure disappears into the elevator.

      “Kyaaa… my heart just freezes whenever he smiles at me.”

      “My bones melt when his eyes look at me.”

      “You are married.” The first receptionist lady reminds. “You can’t ogle at other man!”

      “My husband doesn’t know.” The other one giggles. “He asked me once though why I’m so excited to work on Tuesday and Friday.”

      “Tsk.. married, Diana. Married.”

      “Ogling at the handsome Max doesn’t hurt anyone.” Diana sneers. “He really is such a heartthrob.”

      “I know right?” her friend squeals again. “I’m wondering why he’s still single up to today. He has a lot of admirers since his first day studying here.”

      “I heard one of the Chos is after him.”

      “Cho? Which one?”

Diana leans closer to whisper to her friend. Her friend widens her eyes and gasps.

      “That.. Cho Kyuhyun? Seriously?” She clasps with her hand.

      “Rumor has it.” Diana shrugs. “But I guess it’s true. Why would a rich busy tycoon hire our Max for a condo advertisement? There are thousand ad agencies queuing in battle to get the spot yet he came here personally asking Max’s willingness to design the ad for him.”

      “Oh.. that one. Max turned it down.”

      “Mr. famous Tycoon doesn’t know our Max well.” Diana giggles. “He’s not interested in commercial ads.”

      “But he painted Kim’s bookstore’s walls.”

      “Cyntia, everybody knows how charming president Kim Jaejoong is.”

 

Alejandro Suarez, the head president of Andromeda art course has been trying in countless time to persuade Max selling his two paintings. Max painted two large-size in contrast paintings hung in the course gallery. His exam projects that gained outstanding marks from the board of jury. Two of the board members already asked the painter about the price. They wanted to buy the two paintings but the student (at that time) refused the idea at once. He said it’s not for sale. Andromeda has the right to display them but not selling them. There are too many interested buyers asking about the paintings already and this time the interested party is big league in Asia trading industry.

      “I’ve told them they are not for sale.” The head president leans on his leather chair. “I don’t understand how they heard about your black and blue paintings. We just put them in the course catalogue once and it’s last year.”

      “Shouldn’t you put it down, sir?” Max suggests. “I don’t have intention to sell them. They have their owner already.”

Alejandro has considered about taking it down too but the pieces are too good to be hung in small room for personal satisfaction. They are too beautiful and emotionally rich not to be exhibited for public.

      “It’s a waste.” Alejandro says. “You agreed to lend them to us and I must say they are a pair of  the proud icons of our course.”

      “Anything else?”

      “Are you sure you wouldn’t give it a second thought? The party said they’ll pay any number you desire.”

      “Thank you, sir, but no. I painted them for someone.”

 

Max parks his bike near the trees. He’s familiar with the park keeper (the man knows his father) and it gives him small privilege to rest his bike there. He walks to his usual bench spot and sits after stationing his bag on the bench. He extracts a thick blue handmade sketchbook and starts to sketch on the few remaining pages.

Junsu, it’s been almost six years. I miss you terribly. I miss you and it’s all I can feel for these six years without you. Look at me now. I’m 25 and still waiting for you. Yoochun taped your letter to me. He gave it to me when I entered Andromeda art course. I fought for the scholarship and I managed to save the last chair. I read your letter every night when my yearning to see you cuts deep and unbearable and I feel like giving up. It gives me energy to go on, to be someone you would come home and hug. Someone you would smile at and say ‘hey hero, you grown up’. I grew up. I worked in Janghyuk’s rental store for a year to save money and entered Andromeda. I worked in the other places too to cover for our flat rent. I sketched people in circle Park on Sunday, I washed cars on Friday, I helped dad gardening when I had spare time. i did as much as I could not to lose my sanity of not seeing you around me. It’s hurt and lonely. I wanted to fight with people but you asked me not to use fists unless it’s necessary. It’s almost six years, Junsu. Where are you? Don’t you miss me? Don’t you wanna see our flat? It’s burned down two years after you left. No more old rusty building with stairs. The government decided to take over the property and restored the building into tall apartments. It’s expensive now to live there. I left the flat and found a small house near Jonghyun’s printing shop. Yes, Jonghyun owns a printing business. He makes money by trolling stupid teenagers printing pictures on their shirts, bags, caps and faces. It’s crappy but he’s happy. He still dates and sleeps around. His look grants him the dates and the bed partners. I sleep in his shop a lot. It’s easier to draw there and Jonghyun uses my drawing as examples of his printings. I get free meal too. I drink with him sometimes. Not drunk, Junsu. Just drink two or three shots to relieve some stress. I got drunk once and the next day Jonghyun and Jinwoon interrogated me about what I had experienced in bed. I slipped some of our kisses and the others when I was drunk and made self mental-oath not to let myself drunk anymore. I didn’t want to share what we had. What we have. What I feel till today. I told you I couldn’t see anyone else doing it with me but you and I still can’t. What we shared that night is enough to fill my heart and soul with you.

Remember Yunho and Yoochun? They’re married. They call me a lot, monitoring me. Sometimes they care too much and I tell them to mind their own business. Yoochun is the senior detective now and Yunho works in a private social foundation. He had differences with his senior and resigned not long after. He manages a shelter for homeless children and people now. Yoochun lost your track in England. We found your site in Swiss but you are already had left to England when one of Yoochun’s affiliates went to your place. Jaejoong also lost contact with Ji hyo. He apologized when he told me Ji hyo’s number was no longer in use. England is big. It takes time to comb every big hospital. None of them has your mother’s name listed in their patient lists. I don’t know where to look anymore. You just disappeared. Dad asked people he knows in Cameborie and Fortbax to contact us in case they hear anything about your family. Lee Hyukjae even hired private investigator to find you after a year of your leaving. You cut all the lines to you even from your best friend who took you to airport and to whom you promised to keep in touch. Six years and no news from you at all.

Have you forgotten me, Junsu?

Have you found someone else?

Have you.. loved someone else who loves you more than my love for you? Have someone else made you happier?

Max stops his sketching. A ball runs to his feet and a boy is shouting at him to kick the ball back to the playing group. He looks up and throws the ball. He looks at his watch and blinks when he sees the time. He’s sat there for three hours.

 

Jaejoong watches his store assistants unloaded boxes of new arrival books. He is bored. His wife, Gummy, is spending three days with her parent. He hates going home to an empty house. He plans to read the new arrival books to accompany him at home.

      “How many new entrees?”

      “Three adult comics, five new series of recent ongoing mangas, several novels, three reprinted titles with new designed covers, some self help books, five cooking-

      “Anything new for children section?”

      “Um.. there are about eleven new titles. I haven’t rechecked the children section, sir.” The employee answers.

      “I’ll take a look later. Who’re doing the night shifts tonight?”

 

Max groans in annoyance. He’s just fallen asleep like less than an hour. He forgot to turn off his phone and now it’s ringing mercilessly on his night stander desk. Stupid phone! shut up! He orders as his hand reaches for the phone in the dark. When he finally grabs the vibrating thing, the ringing calls end. He curses and about to turn his phone off when the ring shoots his eyes open. He almost leaps from his bed in surprise. ! it’s two a.m. Can’t it wait till tomorrow? Even the sun needs sleep, b******!

      “Changmin! I found Junsu!!”

Other than Yoochun, Yunho, his dad, and Jonghyun, only Jaejoong calls him Changmin. The rest of the world knows him as Max.

      “I found Junsu. he writes a book. I’m reading his book right now. it talks about you a lot!”

Max Changmin shakes his sleepiness off to hear better.

      “Junsu? in book?”

      “aish you slow turtle. Junsu writes a book. A children story book. The prince character is the duplicate of yours. I can’t believe he finally published his writing. This is so go-

      “Jaejoong sir!” Changmin cuts the over excited voice with stern voice. “my birthday has long passed and April is still two months ahead.”

      “Pfftt! Up to you. I say I found Junsu. Don’t be mad at me tomorrow morning when all his books are sold from my store and you have no copy left. I just booked a small number since the publisher is new and it’s distributed from Singapore.”

      “…..”

      “The prince’s nick name is hero.”

Changmin jumps out from his bed for real.

      “Where are you now?”

      “In my house. Where else?” Jaejoong frowns.

      “I’m coming there.”

Changmin reads the children story book with b tears in his eyes. It’s indeed depicting a story of a bad tempered prince who gets a lot of punishments from the king and queen for his rebellious acts. The prince learns to be patience and in the end, he saves the kingdom by slaying a dragon monster which almost tears the country down. The story is cliché like any other children story book. The illustrations were poorly done and lack of colors but the diction chosen to unveil the simple story are touching and meaningful. The prince is called hero from the moment onward and he is crowned by the love of the king, queen and his people. He’s not hot blooded anymore, he show his true kindness to everyone. The last line kills Changmin.

Hero finally sees it with his heart that love is gained by love and forgiveness. He saves people from the dragon mosnter and he grows up to be the most beloved hero in the country. No more died citizen, no more suffering families. All is because of hero’s courageous heart.

Jaejoong pats Changmin’s shaking shoulder.

      “I’ll call my distributor agent tomorrow.” He tries to comfort the silently crying man. “I’ll ask about the author.”

It’s Junsu. It’s definitely Junsu. He described Changmin in every word the prince said in the story. He even depicted Changmin’s sharp eyes as the prince’s eyes. Changmin flips the book to the front cover to reread the author’s name. Xiah.

Max changmin calls the first name flashed in his mind. Lawyer Lee Hyukjae. it’s the other person who’s been searching for Junsu continuously beside him. Lee Hyukjae must know what to do.

The day runs slowly as usual. Max has new item in his old shabby bag. A children story book. He goes home in early morning wetting up some space in Jaejoong’s big mansion. He goes home, greets his father who is preparing for work, washes his face and goes to his private work room. He locks himself there all day. He has orders to do. He has two sessions to fill in Andromeda art course. He has an appointment with Yunho, helping the social freelancer in his homeless shelter but he erases them all and stays inside his work room all the time until Lee Hyukjae comes to his house the following day.

      “It’s not Junsu.” the tired looking lawyer says, flopped on the chair in living room. “Someone published it but it’s not Junsu.” He goes on with baggy eyes. “I’ve done a quick check and the publisher representative said the writer of the book is a native Taiwanese. Someone named Wang or something. I’m going to do further inspection because for one thing, it’s Junsu’s writing but the one submitting the story and all to the agency was not Junsu.”

Max Changmin is calm despite the uncombed hair that goes haywire to all direction. He sits composed with assured air and self in command control.

      “Have you read the book well?” he asks in measured tone.

      “Just a brief scanning. Why?”

      “I’m reillustrating the book. I’ll send a draft to its publisher, offering service for the poor work of the book.”

Hyukjae takes a better look at the young sketcher.

      “Don’t you have ongoing projects at hand right now?”

      “I could hand them to my colleagues. I’m sure the clients wouldn’t mind. I’ll return their down payment. This.” Changmin takes a breath. “is my main project. My only life project.”

Hyukjae catches the emphasized message.

      “I’ll pull all-nighter. Let’s update each other.”

 

Yoochun and Yunho heard it from Jaejoong. Yoochun dashes to Changmin’s house only to find the father. Changmin hasn’t returned home since Hyukjae’s visit. The father got a short note saying the tall artist will go somewhere for a couple of days. Yoochun comes to Andromeda art course afterward. Changmin is not there. The two ladies on duty inform the detective that their handsome freelancer has been absent from his assigned sessions that week. Yoochun goes to the last stop, Lee Jonghyun’s printing shop.

      “Did he go to Singapore?”

Jonghyun scratches his head, unwilling to get involved to this tangled matter.

      “All I can say is he retrieved all of his saving, including the house installment, and went somewhere after kicking my not to say a thing to anyone.”

      “You are talking to a head detective here, young man!”

      “I know! Why do you think I spilled on his retrieving his saving?”

      “Spill better.”

Jonghyun sighs. The price he has to pay for befriending Shim Changmin.

      “He’ll be back in a day or two. His money doesn’t allow him to stay in foreign country longer than tomorrow.” Jonghyun huffs. “Have you tried talking to Lawyer Lee?” he gives hints.

      “Lawyer Lee is handling a case in the high court. He’s been isolated due to the secrecy of the sensitive case.”

      “Are you sure he’s in the high court?”

Yoochun hits his station and makes several calls. No, Lee Hyukjae has delegated his authority as one of the representative defense lawyers to his partner and proposed an early withdrawal from the heating case. He took three days leave despite the warning he got from his lawfirm.

The next day, a charismatic graceful young handsome tycoon knocks on Park residence. Yunho never thinks that their house will have such visitor like the alluring good looking Cho Kyuhyun. He smiles politely and bows his head to greet the couple.

      “I’m not known for holding decent manner.” He says in cheerful tone. “I’m not going to interrupt longer. I just have one inquiry. Could you, somehow, care to let me know where I can meet Max?”

Yunho secretly squeezes his husband’s waist.

      “Excuse us for being curious but what make you think we know where Max is?”

      “I have sources.” The young tycoon in sleek fine suit tilts his head a little. Your both names appear on top of what I’ve heard.”

      “Both of us?” Yunho exchanges look with Yoochun.

      “Max was once your social case, wasn’t he?” kyuhyun forms a tentative smirk. “You had him under shim Changmin’s name. You’re the officer in charge for his case.”

      “And?”

      “You know better what I don’t need to say, gentlemen. So, where can I meet Max?”

      “Try his house. It’s called a house for a reason.”

After the tycoon leaves with less good looking face, Yoochun faces his husband.

      “I just got call from Jung woo. Do you think you can leave your shelter for today? I have this bad feeling that Changmin might do something against the law.”

      “Where should I go?” Yunho nods.

      “Andromeda or Jonghyun’s shop. Changmin must call either of them.”

 

 Shim Cheon Gul enters the house in alerted gesture. He scans the small house rapidly and breathes in relief when he sees his son’s pair of shoes laid near the door. His son is home. He must be in his room right now, resting or sleeping. The father is about to walk to their kitchen to warm something for drink when the door of their house is knocked.

      “GreyFair Police department.” Yoochun flashes his badge. “Is your son home? We need to confirm several questions from him.”

The father goes pale.

      “He.. he is not..

      “Let’s find out about it. Where is he?” yoochun has stepped inside the small house in commanding force.

The door of Changmin’s bedroom creaked open.

      “I’m here, detective.” The calm voice answers. The tall well built figure emerges from the opened door. “Are you looking for Changmin or Max?”

Yoochun sees another déjà vu. The dark bleeding hurt displayed on Max Changmin’s eyes is fresh and repainted anew. The same broken look Yoochun saw when Junsu left Changmin six years ago.

 

I pledge full bar guilty. this gonna be longer than 27 chaps.