Mirrors.

Black and Blue

ahem..

 

      “We saw Junsu.” Hyukjae drinks up the shot in one go. He needs to busy himself with something after the long trip to Singapore and found what they’ve been looking for. “He’s not Junsu I used to call as bestfriend. He didn’t even look at us. He simply walked on coldly like nothing matters to him.”

      “Where did you see him?”

      “In front of the Wang’s corp gigantic building. He got out from his car. Man, he had one of those limited edition cars. The chauffeur opened the door for him and that’s when we saw him. He walked coldly to the building’s entrance, guarded by four men in suit. You wouldn’t believe what you saw.”

      “Junsu?” Jaejoong repeats. “Cold? I never associate cold and Junsu in one sentence. Polite, yes. kind, sure. Cold? Need ice?”

      “He’s so different, boss.” Hyukjae pours the light liquor and drinks it up in one go again. “His eyes don’t have the same kindness and warmth like we used to see. He’s pale. The expensive suit can’t hide his pale complexion. He walked fast, ignoring our shouting calls to have a look at us. We were ushered out harshly from the building by a group of security.”

      “Why did they shove you out?”

      “Because we rudely called the fiancé of the heir of Wang’s industry. Junsu is engaged to Jiro Wang. Changmin was so shocked when one of the security guards told us who Junsu is. I had to drag him away from the gate. He froze and said nothing for hours.”

      “Engaged? Fiancé?”

      “The book you sold in your store is Junsu’s writing. He didn’t publish it. It’s his fiancé who sent the draft to the new publishing company and even paid for publishing it. The publishing owner told us the heir wanted to give his betrothed one a surprise.”

      “So Junsu didn’t know that his fiancé published his writing?”

      “I guess he knew. He sent a request not to reprint the story book. The publisher was disappointed because it sold well. Better than their other published books.”

      “Hmm..” Jaejoong taps his finger on his chin. “That’s explain the apology letter I got from the distributor. They can’t send more books. What about Changmin? You just left and went back here?”

      “He didn’t say much after we saw Junsu. Too shocked, I bet. He packed his bag and followed me to airport. He slept along the flight.”

--

 

Xiah.

You really forget me, Junsu? You changed a lot. Too changed. I thought my eyes were doing some awful tricks on me. I blinked and blinked before I was convinced it was really you. I was so happy I could finally see the one I’ve been missing my heart was about to explode. I was about to run to you and hug you. I was about to wrap and pocket you so that nothing could separate us anymore but I couldn’t. The security guards blocked me from reaching you. You were so different. Your clothes, your composed self, your steps, all were not my Junsu. Have I lost you for real? Have I been waiting for a ghost?

      “Min.. your phone is ringing.”

Max Changmin unwinds his arm covering his eyes reluctantly. He sits up and receives the phone his father is holding out to him.

      “I’ll be leaving to tend Mrs. Cecilia’s garden.” His father smiles in concerns. “I’ll be back late. Drink with friends.”

Changmin nods slightly. He stares at the ringing and vibrating phone in his hand.

      “Hello?” He finally takes the call.

      “Max! When will you come to Andromeda? The students are asking about you.”

Alejandro. His head president.

      “I don’t know, sir. I’m still unwell from my trip.”

      “Can you at least come here for a quick visit on this Friday?”

      “I’m afraid I’ll still be resting.”

      “Tsk.. what a lazy young man. You’re never this petulant when you were still a student here.” The head president scowls.

      “I’m sorry.”

      “Well, come here as soon as you feel better. The party who’s interested with your black and blue painting called again. They are willing to pay three times than any number you might want.”

      “I don’t sell them, sir.” Changmin answers in flat tone. “Tell them to my toes bye.”

      “I know you’d say that. I’m just trying. They called from overseas.”

      “Yeah.”

      “Okay. Get well soon.”

Thank you, sir,

Click. Changmin turns off his phone and takes the battery out of its compact.

An hour and a half later, he hears persistent knocking on the front door. Changmin ignores it and goes back to his sleep pretense. The drumming knock repeats merrily till he gives up, cursing loudly at himself and walks out of his room to answer.

      “I heard you’re not well.” Cho Kyuhyun is smiling brightly at him. “I bring fruit and some sweets. Can I come in?”

Has Cho Kyuhyun even understood the meaning of two alphabet sided close to each other spelled as NO?

      “Aren’t you busy?” Changmin lets the uninvited guest in.

      “Never too busy to visit a sick friend. Had dinner?”

Why does it remind Changmin of Junsu’s habit kicking him not to skip meal time?

      “You look pale. Sit down.” Kyuhyun leads the man to sit on the chair. “Have you seen doctor? Should we go to hospital now? You look really pale, Max.”

Junsu, have you really forgotten me? Forgotten us? I can’t forget you, Junsu. I can’t ever forget us.

      “MAX!”

 

Junsu wipes his nosebleed with his hand quickly. He’s excused himself from the family dinner to restroom. He has to come back to the dining table fast otherwise Jiro will soon appear here and ask him what’s wrong. He washes his nose with mild running warm water and clean the water with tissues hung rolling next to the sink. He’s been having light nosebleed since he caught Changmin’s figure standing in the entrance gate. Changmin and the monkey Lee Hyukjae. He was startled but he commanded his self control in time as he walked forward. He stole glances at the guards shooing the two figures away from the gate and he had to run to nearest toilet soon after. Nosebleed.

His heart is aching with indescribable pain but he manages it well in front of the Wang family. He wants to run to Changmin and hug the man he loves most but the picture of his mother stops his compulsive act to take over. He can’t disappoint his mother. Not this time though he has to lose the love of his life for it. For his mother acceptance and forgiveness.

      “Junsu.. are you there? Is everything alright?”

Junsu wipes the remnant of his blood and makes sure he looks fine before he answers.

      “I’m fine. Just disagree with the spinach.”

A tanned handsome man walks in the restroom and comes to him.

      “I told mama you don’t like the greenies but she insists.” He scoffs.

      “It’s fine, Da dong.” Junsu smiles shortly. “Let’s go back to the dining room. They’ll talk about us if we leave them too long.”

      “Let them talk.” The tanned muscular man cups Junsu’s face. “They need some fun after all.” He leans forward and places a kiss. Junsu slightly moves his face and the kiss landed on the corner on his lips. He can’t accept kisses from his fiancé. Not when his heart is still wholly owned and belongs to Shim Changmin.

      “You are paler than usual.” The fiancé whispers. “Don’t drive back to your guest stay. Sleep here tonight.”

      “I told mom I’ll be back after dinner.” Junsu refuses. “I promised her I’d go home before eleven.”

      “She’ll understand, love.”

Yes. His mother will understand perfectly but Junsu’s heart doesn’t. Changmin would be very angry at him. Angrier than he’s already been.

 

      “Your head hit by a double trash trucks or your heart dies?” Ji Hyo wants to punch her far far nephew. “If your mother asks you to get yourself beheaded, would you do that too?”

      “Mongji…

      “Don’t Mongji me! I keep quiet because I know you really want to apologize to your mother but this is not right, Junsu. That Wang prince loves you while you clearly don’t love him. You don’t even like him. Why did you accept his proposal?”

      “Mom said..

      “Mom said to burn your whole life in hell!”

      “Don’t say bad thing about my mom!”

      “What about Changmin?? He’s been looking for you like crazy these six years, idiot! I can’t even go to Greyfair because I’m afraid I will bump into him and spill everything when I see his sad face.”

      “He doesn’t need to know, Ji hyo. He would forget me sooner or later.”

      “Can you forget him?”

      “I’m trying.”

      “Trying is not enough, moron. Don’t say you are trying to like that Wang prince too!”

Junsu looks away. Can he forget Changmin? Can he go on this engagement? Can he make his mother happy? Can he live on burying everything he has inside him where Changmin is the ruler? Can he cover his regular nosebleed from everyone? He knows he looks paler from day to day. He eats well and he always sleeps early. Why does the blood love his nose that much?

      -----

 

      “He’s as secretive as ever.” Yoochun flips the pages rapidly. “Nothing much can be found from his six years away from Greyfair.”

      “Sir, he’s engaged to the heir of Wang family. One of trading emperors in Asia. They must have cleared the unwanted datas of Junsu’s past.” Hyukjae says.

      “How about his mother? Song Yoo Ra?”

      “Married to Mark Lawrence, minor acquaintance of the Wangs. No children so far. Mark has two children from his previous marriage. Both are daughters. Song Yoo Ra underwent intensive cancer treatment in London under the name of Rainie Lawrence. She changed her citizenship and nationality as her husband’s. That’s why we could never track her. They stopped the treatment due to the high cost and took alternative treatment afterward. I guess this was when Junsu met his mother. They had a residence in Edinburgh and had sold it for hospital bill. Some said Mark took his wife to China, some said they went to Japan. Anyhow, Junsu’s engagement must have influenced the Lawrence. My fiancé sneaked into Rainie’s medical record and she’s under the best treatment in Taiwan’s best hospital. The Wang hires three private doctors from America, flew them to the hospital and has Rainie Lawrence monitored exclusively in VVIP suit.”

      “Junsu got engaged to help his mother?”

      “I assumed so.”

Yoochun sighs. Changmin has been back on earth after passed out for two days straight. That young man couldn’t accept the truth that Junsu is engaged to someone else.

      “Has Changmin known?”

      “Kinda hard to talk to him personally without that young tycoon looming around. I asked my fiancé to deliver our findings to Changmin. he’s not the doctor in charge but he has better shot than any of us.”

      “Wouldn’t Cho Kyuhyun suspect something fishy? He knows doctor Lee Donghae is your fiancé.”

      “We don’t have better option. His father and Changmin aren’t that close. President Jae is out of city with his wife and your husband.. err.. would be too obvious.”

      “Lee Jonghyun?”

      “Kyuhyun has him. the young tycoon ordered massive printing and you know what I mean.”

      “I’m worried about Changmin more than Junsu.” yoochun facepalms. “He’s repeating the same cycle six years ago. He tried to kill himself once. I’m worried he’ll do the same thing, killing himself. Not with a knife, he’s too smart for that.”

      “Huh.” Hyukjae makes a face. “I’m more worried about Junsu. At least Changmin has a supportive father. Junsu has none beside him.”

      “Any news about Song Ji Hyo?”

      “I have this feeling that she’s not far. Not in GreyFair but not far from us.”

 

Kyuhyun smiles warmly at Max as the tall part timer emerges from the elevator. He’s been waiting in the lobby, ignoring the obvious glances and whispers people send to his direction.

      “You should rest more.” He stands up and buttons his suit. “Care to do a small favor for accompanying me for lunch?”

      “I’ve had lunch with the staffs.” Max walks on passing the young handsome tycoon.

      “Accompanying a friend wouldn’t take long.”

      “I have orders to finish.”

      “Just fifteen minutes, Max.”

      “Where are all your mi-

      “C’mon. I’m starving.” Kyuhyun has held Max’s hand and pulled the reluctant artist to his Bentley. Max grunts but he lets the man lead him to one crème restaurant and served a warm dish of medium-fried salmon in red spicy dressing.

      “I’m going to Alastair next week.” kyuhyun sips his sheer golden wine.The exclusive treat for rare customers. His family has thirty percent share in this restaurant so he is counted as one of the rarity. “There’s a boring business gathering or meeting or whatever. Three boring days.”

      “Good for you.” Max is not interested.

      “There’s an art exhibition too in the lower floor of our hall. It’s annual Asian expo for art and entertainment. Celebrities will show their fake bodies off to public.”

      “Cool.”

      “I saved one spot for Andromeda art course in case you are interested to show some of your paintings or sketches or drawing or any of your projects.”

      “Mr. Alejandro will love that.”

      “It’s for you, not for the art course. Andromeda is already famous.”

      “I have no such things to display.”

      “Your black and blue paintings attract art collectors. Why don’t you paint more?”

      “Not interested.”

      “I heard about the overseas buyer who’s been trying to wrap your paintings.”

Max is really bored. Mr. Alejandro has just discussed about it again like twenty minutes ago and now he has to hear the same thing twice?

      “The Wangs are well known for their tenacity. They would pursue what catch their eyes or interest till they get them. Tough persistent family.”

Max’s ears perk up.

      “The what?”

      “The Wangs. The overseas buyer who’s been bugging you to sell your paintings.”

      “Wang? Taiwanese?”

      “You didn’t know?” Cho Kyuhyun furrows his eyebrow.

Max rushes to lawyer Lee Hyukjae’s residence after Cho Kyuhyun takes him home.

----

 

      “Jiro just called.” Rainie Lawrence rolls her wheel chair approaching Junsu. “Would you give him company attending annual gathering in Alastair? You could visit grandies too while you are there.”

Junsu halts his preparing lunch for Song Yoo Ra.

      “Alastair?”

      “Mrs. Wang said she’d take me out for a walk. No need to worry about me, Junsu. You’ve been caught up with me since you came. Mark even scolds me for not giving you a break.”

      “Mom…

The thin pretty woman caresses her son’s cheek.

      “Go give yourself a break, Junsu. Jiro might kidnap you if you use me as excuse again.”

      “You’ve just gone through the laser chem-

      “I’m your mother, Junsu. Go and have fun!”

Junsu bites his inside lip. Going to Alastair with Jiro? He’s been dreading going to places where he would be reminded of Changmin. Alastair is far from GreyFair but it’s still close compared from Taiwan. Their short trip to Singapore last month in celebrating the golden wedding of Jiro’s parents had resulted in nightmares and hidden nosebleed. What if Jiro finds out about his weaknesses? What if Jiro would like to rush their marriage? Can he handle it?

 

Junsu tells himself to stay calm and composed. The hotel where they are staying in for four days is extravagant. Jiro books two suites with connecting door for them. He knows Junsu needs more time to adjust with the changes in their newly engaged relationship. They’ve engaged for three months. Too fast for Junsu, too slow for Jiro. He hasn’t kissed Junsu properly. He’s itchy to have their alone time and claim his fiancé. He’s used tricks to melt Junsu’s thick wall but so far all his efforts went to dustbin. The writing draft he found in Junsu’s wardrobe was a major failure. He wanted to surprise his fiancé (soon to be fiancé at that time) but it hit Junsu’s fortress and Junsu turned colder and made further distance than before behind his politeness and thin smiles. Jiro wants to have junsu as his desperately. He used the lamest shortcut to be able to bring Junsu with him to Alastair. He used Rainie Lawrence.

      “Like the room?”

      “It’s beautiful.” Junsu smiles at his fiancé. “Why do you book two rooms? One room is more than enough for both of us.”

      “You’ll sleep on the couch again.” Jiro grimaces. “I hate it.”

      “Can’t help it.” Junsu chuckles. “Too accustomed sleeping on the coach. I sleep better on it than on bed. Old habit dies hard sometimes.” He pats Jiro’s muscular shoulder.

      “I really don’t understand why you slept on the coach all these years. Mark’s rented house was small and cramped but it had four bedrooms.”

      “My step sisters needed the rooms, da dong. They are girls. They needed the bedrooms more. besides, I’m just-

Jiro pecks the moving lips with a force to shut Junsu.

      “You are Jiro Wang’s fiancé. No more I’m just blah blah blah. Don’t insult Wang’s name.”

As usual, Junsu goes stiff.

      “Rest.” Jiro pecks the lips again. “Get some nap before we attend the opening of the gathering tonight. I’ll check the sched with my secretary.” Jiro rubs the lips with his thumb. He suppresses the urge to kiss junsu his deeply and long. This fiancé of his is stiff and turns to rock everytime he tries to touch Junsu more than warm hug. “You look pale and tired, love.”

Junsu is led to bed. Jiro sits his fiancé and kisses his forehead before he leaves the spacious suite.

      “Call me if you want or need anything.”

Jiro can’t give him what Junsu wants. He wants Changmin. He wants to see and hear his hero’s voice. He wants to hold Changmin’s hand. No, the fiancé can’t give him that but Jiro has given him what he needs. His mother’s health.

 

The hall is decorated elegantly. Slow enchanting music greets the private guests, welcoming the rulers of Asian economic flow to the warm exclusive opening. Ladies in silk swaying gowns, gentlemen in their finest suits, no reporters and media since it’s a closed welcoming ceremony and gala dinner. Junsu wears the suit prepared for him by Jiro’s devoted and sharp secretaries. He makes himself presentable to accompany Jiro for the occasion. His fiancé requested him to be available for tonight’s dinner. Jiro knows Junsu is not comfortable going to social events. He requested Junsu to come with him for dinner only.

      “I can’t have dinner without you.” Jiro persuaded. “Please. Just dinner then we’ll leave the boring tete a tete. You want to go to movies?”

So here he is, standing and smiling politely at Jiro’s business acquaintances and friends. He has funny headache but Junsu ignores the minor disturbance and bring himself well in front of the people.

      “Your fiancé is one fine gentleman.” One of the ladies with pearls choker praises Jiro. “He’s sweet. I’d like to introduce him to my granddaughter if he were single.”

      “Thank you, ma’am.” Junsu bows slightly. “I’m just lucky.”

      “Took a lot of efforts to catch him, gran.” Jiro laughs proudly. “He ignored me like plague.”

      “Worth the game, isn’t it?” the middle aged man next to the lady comments. “the more difficult the game is, the more long lasting the prize is.”

      “I played but he’s no game.” Jiro smirks. “This man of mine is too slippery.”

They all laugh. Junsu just smiles. The ache in his head is getting ridiculous. He sweats under his suit.

      “Let’s proceed to our dinner, shall we?” the host starts. “I’m sure it’ll be merrier with food company.”

Junsu barely touches his dinner. He chews the serving slowly. He joins in the light conversation every now and then, smiling and laughing along with the great gathering atmosphere. Jiro teases and gets teased back and forth. Junsu can feel how happy the man is. Their elbows brush often and Jiro openly glances at Junsu who sits next to him. Jiro catches the untouched dish when the serving is cleared from the long table, replaced by the next serving. He cast a question look and junsu shakes his head in disguise, assuring Jiro that he’s fine and he’s just not that hungry.

      “What do you do, Junsu?”

      “He’s actually a great writer.” Jiro answers for Junsu. “He’s busy taking care of his mother for now. I’m convincing him to go back writing. He’s one children story book.”

      “Really? what’s the title?”

      “It’s limited edition. You wouldn’t find them in bookstores for now. Junsu refused to have it reprinted till his mother recovers.”

      “That’s too bad. We would like to read your fiance’s writing too.”

      “Soon.” Jiro squeezes Junsu’s cold hand in his hold. “I’m working on it.”

      “Where were you graduated from?”

      “Excuse me.” Junsu pulls his chair out. “I need to use the rest room.” He smiles and walks heading to the guided toilet. He catches Jiro’s irritation look thrown at the young lady flooding the questions at them. He walks faster when he is sure Jiro can’t see him and runs to the nearest sink in the clean men’s rest room. He coughs and coughs. The cold red fluid greets his hand happily. Junsu coughs again as he watches the dark red blood creates two lines flow from his nose to his hand. He bends as his legs start to give away their supports. Junsu holds on the sink edge, gripping his left hand on it as his righ hand is busy wiping the nosebleed with water. He coughs on and off. His headache reappears twice stronger and his sight begins to get blurry.

      “Handkerchief?”

Junsu suppresses his cough. It’s burning and painful. His stomach and throat are angry at him at the same time at the wrong unwanted time.

      “It’s alright.” He waves his left hand without seeing who’s offering the help. “Just choking the bites I failed to chew well. Thank you.”

      “You hardly chew anything.”

Junsu needs to clear his head. It’s heavy to look up. It’s painful to recognize the familiar voice.

      “I’m fine. Don’t worry.” Junsu’s left hand is back on the edge of the sink, clawing it in stronger grip.

      “I know. You are always fine. Always torturing yourself to no end.”

Junsu covers his nose and mouth with his right hand when he forces himself to look up and meet the owner of the familiar voice.

      “Ghosts must have mistaken you as one of them.” The voice comes closer. “No need to hide your nosebleed from me, Junsu. No use. I know how hateful you are with hospital”

The tall man in suit unwinds Junsu’s hand from his mouth. Junsu blinks. He couldn’t recognize the tall man standing too close to him, wiping his blood with the man’s bare hand and.. kisses his forehead.

      “Hospital.” The man pulls him into his arms. “Like it or not. Now.”

Junsu shakes his head, refusing. He’s spent too much time in hospital these six years. He doesn’t want to go there, not when he’s away from his mother and Jiro is in the same floor with him.

      “Still stubborn.” The man hisses. “Like I will listen to you. Not anymore, my Junsu.”

 

um..i've tried to cut n shorten things down. if you feel it's rushed, well.. so be it. *thickskinned chili*