Splash.

Black and Blue

 

got to warn you that this fic may be draggie and slow in progressing. ah hello.. readers. ^^ how's your weekend? i slept two days in a row. dreamed of cakes and some ices assortments.. pfff..

 

      “Changmin, where’s your aunt or your guardian? We need to talk to them about your academic report.”

Changmin ignores the question. His homeroom teacher has been asking –half pursuing slash bugging- him about the same thing since last week after his last fight. He couldn’t tell the tired looking teacher that Chae rim doesn’t care about school warning or invitation anymore. His aunt lost her job two weeks ago and changmin is the last thing in her list to worry. Their flat rent, water and electric bill and food are way more urgent to take care of.

      “Shim Changmin! I’m talking to you!” the teacher runs out of her patience. “If your aunt or anyone else responsible doesn’t come to school by tomorrow, we must notify your social advisor to move you out to other school!”

Changmin turns his head, indifferent and bored.

      “I can talk to you about my academic trash myself, ma’am.”

He shoulders his schoolbag and walks out of the school gate half an hour later, skipping the rest of the lessons. He has no mood to study anyway and school is getting more and more boringly stupid.

      “Hey.. beggar!”

Changmin keeps on walking ahead, no need to mind Taecyon’s insult.

      “ up some scum again, huh?” Chansung maliciously smirks.

      “Get a life, fa*****!” Changmin scoffs. Junsu told him not to step down to any provocation. He dislikes the idea but it’s Junsu and Changmin forces his building anger being called names to lay low, as low as he could manage.

      “Sissy.” The provokers laugh. “Wear skirt tomorrow, yo p***y.”

Is junsu home at this hour? Or is he spending time in his workplace again like these two days? Can he come and knock on junsu’s door? Changmin walks home in doubt. Chae rim will lash out her long usual speech at him when he gets home. He’s been cutting time from school longer from day to day. It’s barely eleven a.m. He could go nowhere since he doesn’t have money and he’s hungry. Breakfast is the only time he could eat a little something everyday since the beginning of the month. Some small bites of plain bread and a small carton pouch of milk if there’s any. They don’t have much food, remember? He’s accustomed to it anyway and he sees no reason to complain more than he has done. Alright, let’s just be home and bear Chae rim’s mouth for a couple of hours. He needs to change his uniform too if he wants to roam around the block later. And if Junsu’s home…

Junsu is not home. His flat’s door stands closed the same way Changmin walked past this morning and last night. The paper Changmin slipped beneath the door is still there, Changmin gulps back a huge wave of disappointment. He walks slowly passing the door of flat number 719 and leads himself to the mess, real mess, of another gloomy part in his life. Flat number 724. He bites his lips and makes fists before he opens the door.

He storms out of the flat in an enraged disgusted look five minutes later, still wearing his school uniform. That bish of an aunt is occupying Changmin’s bedroom with a man Changmin doesn’t know who and they are..

Changmin is so disgusted he throws up in front of the building’s entrance.

 

Junsu stretches up his legs and back a bit before clearing his things up and storing them into his employee’s locker. He lets out deep sigh before taking his bag and meets the manager.

      “Sir, I’m leaving.”

 Jaejoong smiles at the employee. He nods his head dismissing Junsu.

      “Your papers done?”

      “Yes, sir. Thank you for allowing me using the store’s computer for doing my assignments.”

Jaejoong waves his hand nonchalantly.

      “It’s old computer. Dad planned to sell them out but who will buy an old heavy fat square computers nowadays? I’m glad it has some benefits to you besides taking spaces in the storage room. At least it still functions well.”

Junsu can’t thank God enough for having such a kind hearted manager.

      “Um.. I have sorted the new arrival books and the discount ones in the blue room too. Hyukjae said he would handle them tonight.”

      “Oh, thank you. Yi han and Yi Fan are not coming?”

      “They exchanged shift with me, sir.”

Jaejoong frowns. Junsu exchanged shift for two employees nonstop? No wonder he always sees Junsu around the 24/7 bookstore these three days. This guy works too hard.

      “Take a day off tomorrow.” Jaejoong approaches in crossed arms.

      “Hana and Ayumi are taking their days off tomorrow already, sir.” Junsu refuses. “Two workers a day is the maximum..

      “This is an order, Junsu.”

      “I also have..

      “Bye.” Jaejoong walks past him. “I’ll notify Julie about your off day and if I see your face here during thirty hours, bonus cut.”

Junsu stands still, taken a back with the sudden event turning. He says nothing, frozen in his spot. Jaejoong stops in front of a well arranged table covered in red lacey fabric which displays the newest published action comic from a big name author. He picks one comic randomly; it has no plastic cover on it, flips the pages and puts it back on the red table.

      “You’ve been working five shifts in a row nonstop if you exchanged Yi han’s and Yi fan’s shifts. You didn’t go home after every shift, continuing with your own and did assignments in the storage room using the old computer then ran to campus to hand them, am I right?”

      “Um..

      “You slept here these two nights, didn’t you?”

      “Yes, sir. I’m sorry. I used the basement again.”

Jaejoong lifts his head and gives Junsu a look.

      “I admire your work ethics, Junsu but it’s not healthy. Our company’s employee insurance is limited and I don’t want an over exhausted store assistant.”

Junsu shifts a bit.

      “Take a day off tomorrow and have a good rest at home.”

      “Yes sir.” Junsu obeys. “Thank you.”

The young manager flashes his charming smile again. He signals Junsu to leave the book store. He’s the first son of the Kim family who owns and runs the big comfy bookstore. Firm, kind and sometimes dorky. Everyone loves the young manager for his kindness and customers love him more for his stunning good look.

Junsu carries his bag and heads home. It’s five in the early evening. He has some money left from his previous meal fee. The employer has a policy providing meal for those night workers. Not much but it helps boosting the energy and spirit up for the night workers. Junsu decides to buy some instant ramen packs in the nearest convenient store to be cooked at home later. Two cartons of milk and some breads too. Good. Changmin might like the bread, Junsu smiles and rides his bike to the building where his flat awaits.

The building and the people in it are as noisy as usual. Junsu climbs up to the third floor after parking his bike in the building’s available valet-like. The superintendent who lives in the ground floor lends him a space to keep his bike safe. Junsu hears familiar buzzing kid’s bickering mixed with the loud sound of TV or radio blaring from corner to corner. Husbands argue with their wives, couples yell at each other, some teens try playing guitar in poor result, and a certain heated high raising voices from one flat that.. Changmin!

Junsu walks straight to the open door of flat number 274. Some people have gathered in front of the door with different faces. Curious, attentive, enjoying but not concern. Junsu slips amidst the loud noises of woman screaming, crying and throwing things in race with a man’s firm voice.

      “What happened?” Junsu asks the gathered people.

      “That witch gets her karma.”

      “YOU M*******!” Junsu hears Chae rim’s desperate cry. “TAKE HIM BACK TO HELL! I DON’T NEED F***ING DEVIL IN MY DAMNED LIFE ALREADY!”

      “You agreed taking him in and be his guardian till he reaches his age!! At least do the smallest part of it, Chae Rim!!”

      “Where’s Changmin?” Junsu looks around. Why doesn’t he see the boy?

      “Police station.” One of the neighbor replies.

      “Excuse me?” junsu is shocked.

      “He’s taken there after injuring some kids gang badly.”

Junsu’s eyes widen in disbelief. Changmin fought again? He makes his way forward approaching the mess inside the flat. Is it a flat or disaster site? Everything is scattered and thrown on the floor. A fuming far from pleasant smell dances stubbornly in the room as Junsu walks closer to two figures arguing in the middle of what might be living room. A tall man’s back is posing rigidly against Junsu’s sight. Chae rim is standing facing the man with pointing finger toward the man’s face, her figure is shaking, vomiting tears and words Junsu chooses not to hear.

      “He needs you to attend the police procedure, Chae rim. Come on. We don’t have all night to argue. Just come there and sign. We can’t help Changmin without your consent as his legal guardian.”

      “I SAID I DON’T WANT HIM. I GIVE UP!” the tears run deep. “I GIVE UP!”

Junsu pokes the man’s back slowly, doesn’t want to startle the man.

      “Excuse me.” Junsu immediately says when the man turns around. “I’m one of the neighbors. I heard about..

      “GET OUT! GET OUUTT!! LEEAAVEE!!”

Both Junsu and the tall man dodge the can thrown at them. Chae rim moves to throw another object with heavy sob. Junsu instinctively grabs the man’s arm and pulls him away from the hysterical woman. The man is strong and resists to Junsu’s pulling hand but he complies when another empty can hits his ear with a rich thug. They emerge from the suffocating flat and the door is slammed hard behind them. The small audience looks at them with blank look.

      “She stays?” the bald man looks disappointed. “Cuh.. was hoping you’ll evict her or at least knock her out from the flat.” He spits and walks away.

The man sighs as the rest of the audience return to their own flats and close the doors like nothing happened.

      “I’ll make a call.” He tells Junsu as he produces a phone from his blazer. “Excuse me. I have to..

Junsu nods. He makes several steps away to give the man the needed privacy. The man turns to junsu after he ends his phone call.

      “You are..

      “Junsu. Kim Junsu.” Junsu extends his hand.

      “Jung Yunho, government social officer.” The tall man shakes Junsu’s hand. “Sorry for the disturbance. That woman is being unbelievably stubborn and out of her mind.”

      “Is Changmin alright?”

The social worker pays a brief glance on Junsu.

      “You know changmin?”

      “Yes, sir. Where is he? I heard from err.. police station?”

Yunho examines the neighbor.

      “He’s arrested for assaulting and violence.”

Junsu looks straight to Yunho’s eyes.

      “Can I see him? Which police station is he’s arrested in?”

They still hear the thrown breaking object on the floor from Chae rim’s flat together with her loud cry. Yunho sighs again and shakes his head in frustration.

      “I’ll take you there. I must deal with the paper too before my department could locate his other relatives or find a lawyer.”

Junsu learns then that Changmin was involved in a fight with his school friends. The fight took place near the bus stop and he was alone fighting two boys. He hit one of them too strong and the victim is now lying in a hospital. The parents of the victim reported Changmin to the police. He was arrested in the same place before the parent filed report. A patrol stopped the fight and took the boys to the station. Well, one went to hospital. One had been taken home by his parent and Changmin is left alone in the station. The police had tried to contact Chae rim but the aunt didn’t even said a word. She hung up after she heard police and Changmin. So the police searched more and found out that Changmin is under the hand of social department case. They called the department and Yunho came.

      “He’s one hell hard broken family case.” Yunho tells Junsu while driving. “His father left after terrible argument with his mother when he’s ten or eleven. His mother left him at home alone when he’s fifteen, taking his little sister with her. We got report from the neighbor back then. This kid had been fighting and beating the other kids since he’s seven or eight. From the record files we found out that his father abused his mother at home, beating and swearing around when he’s in the mood.”

Junsu is silent, listening.

      “Money and bad failed marriage.” Yunho goes on. “He is actually a smart boy. He talks back to us and questions every decision we take. We kept him in foster homes for a year during our search for the parents. His mother married a man and moved abroad. His father is somewhere we haven’t found. His grandparents are too old to raise or keep a rebellious teen. Foster homes refuse him too after ten month. Families dislike his disobedient and temper. We found Chae rim a half and a year ago and persuaded her to take Changmin in.”

Persuaded?

      “Chae rim is a relative from Changmin’s mother. We pay her rent and Changmin’s food as long as she takes Changmin under her care. We know it’s not a good decision with her background and all but orphanage doesn’t accept kids above fifteen years old and we can’t let him live in street.”

      “He once told me he hates school.” Junsu keeps his hands on his lap.

Yunho sends a glance.

      “Most abandoned children hate school. Life is already difficult for them. They struggle for acceptance in families let alone social acceptance like school. I told Changmin school is compulsory and he must graduate his high school or he’ll live with Chae rim forever.”

      “How about the case? Will he be jailed?”

Yunho shrugs, he is tired. He wants to go home soon and calls it a day. This Changmin thing pops out of nowhere adding stress to his already piled up papers and work.

      “You pay for his school?”

      “The government, yes.” Yunho answers. “Actually, Changmin is not in our jurisdiction. He’s above fifteen and he has guardian who should be responsible for him but his temper caught the head of my department’s attention and proposed opening a special case for him. We pulled some string here and there. Greyfair III high is the only willing school around here and Chae rim agreed after we bribed her with flat-rent payment and food coupon.”

      “Ms. Chae rim isn’t too fond of her nephew.”

      “I know but it’s the best option till we can find his parent or till he reaches twenty.”

      “After twenty?”

      “He’s free to decide what to do with his life. I hope he won’t do anything regretful though. School has been calling us that he keeps skipping classes and causes trouble. He failed his exams last year. If he fails again this year, he has to leave school.”

That explains why an eighteen year old boy still studies in high school.

      “If he behaves better, school is fine teaching him till he passes his final exams. In some cases, twenty one year old student graduates after three years retaking senior year. We understand the different circumstances coming with them.”

Junsu understands it perfectly.

      “I shouldn’t tell you all of this.” Yunho is worried. “It’s a classified file. I hope you won’t leak this thing out. If Changmin finds out about this he will drops his school and leaves his aunt right away.”

Junsu smiles.

      “I won’t say a word about it, sir.” He assures.

      “Are you new? I haven’t seen you in the flat before.”

      “Yes, sir. Four months moving it.”

      “How did you know Changmin? He gave you trouble?”

      “No, sir.” Junsu shakes his head negatively. “He’s a good person actually. He’s angry sometimes but never does anything worse than punching wall.”

Yunho turns his head to have a better look at Junsu. He rarely meets people who say Changmin is a good kid.

      “Do you live alone?”

      “Yes, sir.”

      “Working? You look too young to work seriously. Student?”

      “I’m a part timer in Kim’s book store, sir. I happen to study a three year diploma of Public Journalism in Greyfair University too. This is my third year.”

      “Wow. That’s a lot of work. Final paper? Field report? Must be drowned in deadlines, meeting lecturers and stuff.”

      “You know it really well, sir.”

 

 

The police station is not as busy as Junsu thinks it is. Tables, chairs and computer on every table fill the square room and arranged in line giving serious atmosphere. Yunho enters first and quickly greeted by an officer who seems familiar with the social officer. They shake hand and exchanged sentences before Yunho signals Junsu to come closer.

      “That boy’s guardian?” the officer frowns. An apparent dislike is plastered on his face. Junsu orders himself to smile and bows his head.

      “No. A neighbor. Can he meet Changmin?”

The officer makes a snort sound.

      “That kid really knows how to spell trouble, huh? We can’t process his case till now. He refuses to talk and pisses everyone on duty by playing mute.”

Junsu blinks.

      “Jae shin, please.” Yunho makes a face. “I haven’t had time meeting him and asked him what actually happened. Yoochun told me to bring his guardian here so you can process the suit. What’s the deal?”

      “Det. Yoochun?”

      “Yes.”

      “Wait here. I’ll get him.”

Junsu wonders how Changmin is. Is he alright? Has he got any treatment for the bruise? Has he eaten something? Why does he refuse to talk? The police station has this cold vibe that tickles Junsu’s inside to flee from the office. Officers in uniforms walk pass them to and fro, busy with tasks at hand. Yunho takes him to sit on the wooden long bench in the right side of the office. They sit, waiting for the officer who comes back with another officer. No uniform. This latter officer wears casual dress and looks normal compared with the long faces Junsu sees on most of the officers there.

      “Detective Yoochun.” Yunho stands up greeting the officer in casual dress.

      “Yunho. Sorry for the wait. I’m still meeting walls with your kid.” The officer smiles.

Junsu rises from his seat too, holding his bag. This officer has authoritative air that explains his calm yet firm gestures.

      “She refused. I have called Rae Im to take this case into ours. Can we meet him now?”

The officer says something to the other officer in uniform. The latter leaves them a while after.

      “I don’t think your kid is allowed to meet anyone yet. We still run some interrogation on him. He doesn’t cooperate at all. Not answering any questions and sits still all day long.”

      “His aunt won’t come if you need any guardian’s signature.”

      “Send a lawyer then.”

      “Oh c’mon, Chun. He’s just a kid.”

      “He nearly killed someone, Yun. That’s serious. If it’s just a fight, I could release him after three hours but this.. Ok Taecyon’s parents filed a suit against him and the medical report so far indicates serious treatment. He’d better have a lawyer dealing with this.”

Junsu says nothing all along. His eyes focused on the door where the previous officer goes.

      “Rae Im is looking for one right now. Our lawyers is limited, Chun. You know that.”

      “I know.” The  detective sighs. “But rules are rules, buddy. Tell you what. I’ll take you to meet him as soon as he cooperates and stops being a needle in the neck.”

Junsu still stares at the door.

      “Ah, I forgot. This is .. um.. “ Yunho tries to remember the neighbor’s name.

      “Junsu.” Junsu smiles and stretches his hand. “I’m Changmin’s neighbor.” His hand is shook briefly by the detective.

      “Park Yoochun. Homicide detective.”

Homicide?

      “It’s my day off.” Yoochun explains, smiling. This Junsu man looks … common but his detective instinct clicks. “I should have been at home right now but I happened passing the bus stop where Yunho’s kid fought. I arrested the boys.”

      “Nice to meet you, sir.” Junsu nods politely.

      “Me too. Neighbor?”

      “I’m Changmin’s friend, actually.” Junsu calmly states.

      “Oh..”

Yoochun clears his throat.

      “What can I do to help, sir?”

Yoochun gives Yunho a look. The social officer looks back innocently. He means it. Yunho doesn’t know what the detective look means.

      “A friend?”

      “Yes, sir. I live in the same floor with Changmin.”

      “We need a guardian here. Not a friend.” Yoochun glares at the social worker. “or maybe you know a lawyer who can help your friend case. It will help a lot.”

      “A legal lawyer?” junsu asks

      “Yes.”

      “How about an apprentice one? I know a friend who works part time in law firm.”

Yoochun crosses his arms.

      “This is not a joke, young man. A legal lawyer or any appropriate appointed one will do but..” He glares more. “If your lawyer is incapable of handling things right, don’t blame us.”

Junsu smiles again. He turns to Yunho who now looking at Junsu in narrowed eyes.

      “Can I make a call here, sir? My friend is a law student and I’m sure he knows someone who can and will help changmin. I’m sorry I have to bother you but I don’t have a phone.”

      “Sure.” Yunho fishes out his phone and hands it to Junsu.

      “I’ll check the kid. I’ll tell him you are here.” Yoochun casts his last glare before turning around and heading to the same door his co workers goes to.

Junsu dials the Kim’s bookstore number.

      “Hello? Andy? Junsu here. Is hyukjae in? Yes. I need to talk to him. Would you please call him? I’ll call back in five minutes.”

Yunho listens to every word in amazement. Junsu returns his phone after ending the call.

      “You’ll call back after five minutes.” Yunho raises his brow.

      “I’ll find pay phone, sir.”

      “No. Use mine. I’ll get some coffee. This case can last all night”

A half and an hour later, someone comes to the police station wearing brown sweater and warm smiles. Junsu comes to him and bows, thanking the man’s coming.

      “You must be Junsu.”

      “I’m sorry for taking you into the trouble, sir.”

      “Aish, nevermind. Drop the formality, Junsu. I heard a lot about you from my colleague.” The man pats Junsu’s shoulder. “Hyukjae told me briefly about the case. Now, whom should I meet?”

 

Changmin is stoned to his bones. He’s aching everywhere. His lips has dried blood on the corner of it, his left eye is swollen and bruised badly. His knees are giving up and his chest is burning with painful . He’s been sitting for he forgets how long. His hands are cold and he’s trembling mildly from the pain and numbness he feels all over. He sits in one cold room in front of a long flat table and a hard metal chair. He’s folded his body sitting on the chair, nearly makes no moves as the painful inside him is greater than the pain his body tells him. Now, none will see him. No one will take him home. None will bother to remember a Shim Changmin exists in the so called damned world. He bites his lips to make sure he is still on his awareness. He refuses talking because all will be the same. All will be useless. He’ll be sent to jail. He’s a murderer. That’s what the officer barking at him told Changmin. You killed Ok taecyon. He wants to swear back as loud as his voice allows that he didn’t kill Taecyeon. It was Taecyon and Chansung who started the fight. He was just sitting on the bus shelter’s waiting bar, doing nothing as his mind was filled up with awful thoughts about his aunt and school. He didn’t respond to Taecyeon’s and chansung’s insult. He let them say whatever those two morons wanted. Taecyeon was pissed off at the no reaction Changmin. He smacked Changmin’s head. He hit Changmin when the boy still played statue. But after the fifth attacks, Changmin rose up and fought back. People stood around and watched. They did nothing to stop the boys. It’s two versus one yet the boy managed to tackle both of his school friends down. He used all his pent up anger and frustration to kick back. He kept on punching and kicking at the two morons. To Taecyon more than to Chansung. That d*** just dug his own grave by provoking Changmin.

Changmin knows it’s the end of him now. He’ll be total dirt and a bag of trash for real. He is nothing more than a murderer. His hands and feet have taken a life away.

      “Changmin..”

Changmin doesn’t have any will or energy left in him to lift his head up and face another session of questioning. He gives up. He tells his awareness that it’s okay to disappear now. It’s okay to go and never come back. Don’t bother to come back. Living is useless. Breathing is too painful to bear.

      “Changmin, are you alright?”

He knows the soft voice. It’s not harsh or forcing or crushing him like those officers. It’s soft and calling him with tenderness he thinks he has heard somewhere before.

      “Min..”

Changmin feels warmth nudging his sore arm. Changmin has sudden urge to cry. He has nothing left but tears but even tears take energy to come out.

      “Changmin.. Can you hear me?”

Changmin uses his last drop of will to bring his head seeing the source of the voice. It takes time to do so and it takes longer time to register who is standing next to him, encircling a hand over his shoulder.

      “J-Junsu?” his voice nearly swept out by invisible spears sprouting in his throat.

And he breaks into soundless cry.

 

unbetaed. all the typos and errors are mine.