Shade

Black and Blue

post this before my lappy's battery runs out (i forgot carrying the charger, silly chili) typed while waiting for next session. if it's weird, blame the charger. why didnt it run to me when it knew i left for work.

/thickskinned/

 

 

Junsu is fully aware of what he is involving himself into. Opening up himself that wide to a stranger neighbor like Changmin might unseal his Pandora box that he had locked and buried with his all effort. There’s a reason why he came to GreyFair. Studying sounds the most acceptable excuse of his coming here three or four years ago. He is shocked himself at what he did spontaneously when he met Changmin. Giving the angry boy cold soda out of nowhere is not him. Not Junsu. He lives with stable shells wrapping him up from top to toes yet this abandoned boy enthralls him in a way he couldn’t resist. He sees himself in Changmin. Not exactly the boy Junsu was but the something similar in Junsu used to be. He knows well what he’s going to be pulled in when he lets Changmin stay in his flat.

First, he has to give up his precious no-noise space with the restless boy around. Changmin keeps on pacing, walking around the small flat from room to room aimlessly, eyes sweeping anything they meet in that simple flat. Well, nothing much to see because Junsu puts nothing but the available furniture provided by the flat manager. One bed in his bedroom, one closet for clothes, one couch and one table in the living room. There are table and chairs too in the kitchen but it’s almost never in use. He brings in no more housing equipment. The stove is only used to boil water and cooking simple dish. There are two pans (abandoned by the previous occupant) one for frying and one for boiling. No fridge. The kitchen shelves are filled with three plates, some spoons and forks, glasses (most of them are gifts from ramen products) one knife, noodles, sugar, salt and sometimes bread. There are one kettle and two jugs which Junsu rarely finds them usable since he lives alone. He is that kind of person who keeps thing as minimum as it takes. Changmin’s presence willy nilly changes the comfort of minimum things he keeps along.

Second, he has to deal with a furious Chae Rim and a very annoyed flat manager when the latest arrangement of Changmin’s staying informed to both of the party. Chae Rim knocks on flat number 719’s door in red baggy dark circled eyes the next day after Changmin asked Junsu to be allowed to stay with him. She bangs the door with ferocious hammering fist Junsu wonders how a thin woman like Chae rim could posses such force. As soon as Junsu opens the door, Chae rim attacks him verbally, accusing him of brainwashing her nephew and a fraud of taking over Changmin’s special financial aid. Her loud screeching accusations are heard well by the entire third floor’s occupants when she points her fingers on to Junsu’s face. Changmin jumps upward to cut his aunt’s words but Junsu pushes him inside in one hand’s movement and closes the door, locking the boy inside the flat.

      “YOU IMBECILE FACE OF A HELL SATAN SH*** SON OF A ******!! YOU USE YOUR DECEIVING FACE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE’S MISERY!!”

Junsu keeps a poker face during the cursing show. He stands composed and says nothing in return, taking in every dirty words poured on him. The one sided riot (Chae Rim slaps and punches the standing no resistance Junsu with her fist) soon brings the flat manager to the third floor (someone must have tipped Fujitsu about the morning show) and the well experienced manager performs his famous thunderous yell to stop the noise. Chae Rim steps back but doesn’t stop showering Junsu her gifted profanities. The manager throws the lady some papers and shouts at her to read and packs her bags out of the flat.

      “I give you forty eight hours to clear your flat and leave before I use force to throw you out. You haven’t paid your flat rent and you fail paying your three months electric and water bill!!

      “IT’S NOT FAIR!!”

      “Yeah. Tell that to the bill you ignore!”

      “That b**** social damned worker is the one paying for the flat rent. Not me!!” Chae Rim throws the paper back to the manager.

      “Huh? He had paid for three years in advance but you took this year’s payment last year. Don’t tell me your f***** brain forgets it too!!”

 Changmin emerges from the closed door behind Junsu with indescribable anger. He screams high Junsu never hears any guy could scream higher than banshee.

      “GO TO HELL, YOU SL..

Junsu clamps his hand on Changmin’s mouth, aborting the furious swearing and raging Changmin is lashing onto his aunt.

      “Let’s go back inside.” Junsu drags Changmin with stronger force as the tall high schooler struggles to break free from Junsu’s locking arms. Changmin is burned in massive intention to slap his aunt or to break some of her wrist bones.

Junsu closes the door again and glares at the raging boy. Changmin never sees the icy cuts in Junsu’s eyes. His heart shrinks and his eyes darted to the floor.

      “She’s been giving you shelter and protection so far, Min. Don’t disgrace her kindness by calling her name. You’re way better than that.”

Changmin holds back his protest. Junsu walks past him in such coldness gesture, heading to another room in the opposite of his bedroom. They both hear the forceful Fujitsu outside the door using his authority barking off at persistent defensive Chae rim. They hear the noise outside for quite a while before Fujitsu growls angrier snapping his powerful voice up and Chae rim is finally shooed off of the floor. The noise turns to its normal routine afterward. Junsu doesn’t leave the studying room (he puts all his books and papers there) till it’s his time to go to Kim’s bookstore. Changmin curses at himself for his stupidity. He has just found out Chae rim didn’t pay for their flat rent. She mentioned social worker paying or taking responsibility for their rent and Changmin only knew Jung Yunho. Well, he knows faces in the social dept office but not in person like Yunho. He’s angry but Junsu’s scolding him is new for Changmin. Junsu tells him he will not be home till tomorrow. He has evening class in campus and he will do his assignment in the store later.

      “Could you have dinner by yourself?” Junsu asks Changmin while he’s tying his shoelaces. “We still have instant udon in the kitchen or buy something outside.” He places some money on the table.

      “Y-you will not g-go home?” Changmin’s heart sinks low.

      “I have evening classes in campus.” Junsu stands up and gets his bag. “I’m going to do some papers later after class. I use the store’s computer. Are you okay by yourself?”

The tall unsure high schooler nods slowly.

Third, Junsu has had long list to handle before Changmin sets foot in and prolongs the list. Junsu is fine and welcomes being and living alone as it helps him cope with daily survival. Now, suddenly, he lands himself sharing a roof with a younger man who has several issues and pleading to Junsu to be allowed to stay. He has no problem with the staying. Junsu is sure Changmin is more or less far from being spoiled so he can count on no whiny clingy demanding cry baby. But, he overlooks the small things that come along with the appearance of the tall younger man. Clothes for example. He lends his shirt and trouser to the bruised boy and Changmin has no other spare to change. Then there’s food. Junsu is accustomed to eat for himself and rarely stores food in the kitchen. Instant noodles or simple white bread is what he usually puts in the kitchen’s shelves since he rarely eats. Changmin comes and he can’t just ignore the boy. Those are only small examples.

Fourth, Junsu senses the worst of all. Professor Park Si Hoo invites him to have long talk with two other people. Junsu’s paper advisor who is also Junsu’s psychology 101 lecturer, Ms. Rita, and Jung Yunho who happens to tag his colleague along, Rae Im. Junsu is summoned to report himself to his paper advisor office and meets the mentioned people above. He stands in lost look for a moment before sitting down on the pointed brown sofa.

      “This is my department counselor on custody and parents-children rights.” Yunho introduces the woman he comes with. “Rae Im, meets Junsu.”

They shake hand and Junsu knows where this conversation leads to.

      “I’m going to see and talk to Changmin in a day or two based on the agreement we are making with his latest guardian.” Jung Yunho begins. “Changmin’s lawyer, professor Park, had suggested our meeting today to solve some raising problems.”

Junsu perfectly understands with the presence of prof Park but Ms. Rita?

      “I’m invited.” His friendly paper advisor smiles at Junsu. “Mr. Lawyer said he needed to hear my opinion on this since I know you quite well.”

Definitely going there, Junsu braces himself.

      “Rae Im, please.” Yunho gives the floor to his co worker.

The pretty lady nods and throws a look around the four figures.

      “Lee Chae rim fails her custody right over Shim Changmin. Our examination result on her is poor.” She clears . “She mistreats Changmin and uses the provided fund supporting Changmin for her own benefit. Her latest failure was shown in her absence on Changmin’s case versus Ok Taecyon. It’s fatal and we revoke all her right on the custody this morning after hearing process with Judge Alfred. The official court file and a notification letter will be sent to her tomorrow morning.”

      “And?” prof Si hoo fixes his glasses’ position.

      “Changmin has no guardian per tomorrow morning.” Rae Im continues. “We have to put him in foster home or under reliable care of social dept.”

      “Reliable care here could be interpreted as someone capable of taking care of him?”

      “Yes, sir. I believe so.” Rae Im nods.

      “The problem is.” Yunho sighs. “All possible foster parents refuse him especially after they heard about Changmin’s fighting case with Ok Taecyon. We have tried to convince them that Changmin isn’t fully at fault but they insist on no Changmin on their foster children list.”

      “That’s understandable.”

      “And Changmin is eighteen year old. Too big for a foster home. He’s in senior year too which doesn’t help at all.”

      “So it means social department will take care of him?”

      “We can send him to his old grandparent in Edgebank.” Rae Im answers. “That’s the only option when none of our sources is available to house him till his senior year is over.”

      “And if he passes his senior exams.” Yunho facepalms. “I got red letter from GreyFair III high about his academic report two days ago and honestly.. It’s bad. He fails most of his subjects and only gets average mark on Art.”

Junsu is quiet listening to the ongoing conversation all along.

      “What do you think, Rita?” Prof Si Hoo turns his head to Junsu’s lecturer.

      “As the kid’s lawyer?” Rita leans her head forward a bit. “What do you say from lawyer’s perspective?”

      “In this custody case, Chae rim is clearly unable doing the responsibility as Changmin’s guardian. No question about it. Yunho told me about the arrangement the department made to make her agree taking changmin in and I’m disappointed at it. Foster parents reject him and I’m sure the department is already busy with other worse cases at hand. That leaves to grandparents which is not a good option, or to someone willing who is reliable and trustable to take care of Changmin.”

      “Exactly, sir.” Yunho seconds the professor’s sentences. “We checked our resources and most of them are out of the picture for Changmin.”

      “The ongoing case might be solved soon.” Professor Si Hoo smiles. “I met the parents and talked to them this morning. I told them the latest found footages and they agreed to drop the suit as long as Changmin pays for the hospital bill.”

      “They agreed?”

      “Teens violence is common. The footages proved what Changmin confessed true. Their son and his friend started the fight. Changmin just went overboard beating them out of anger. We can sue back of framing if they are stubborn and they agreed after detective Yoochun showed them the recorded footage. The boy himself confessed to police that he provoked Changmin. We can wrap it up in a week.”

      “But Changmin can’t pay for the hospital bill!”

      “We can arrange it later.” Professor and lawyer Park Si hoo smiles benignly. “I know social department has several MoUs and cooperations with some classified parties. Ok Taecyon’s parents aren’t that ambitious for money and their son is guilty as well.”

      “I beg your pardon, professor?” Yunho nearly slips down from his seat. “Social department is going to cover for the hospital bill?”

      “Not social dept.” Si Hoo crosses his legs casually. “But somewhere within it.”

      “It’s Changmin who beat those kids. Why does our office have to be responsible for the excess?”

      “Isn’t it clear? Until Changmin’s father is found, your department is the legal protégé of him?”

      “I suppose we can discuss about it later, gentlemen.” Rae Im steps in. “How about Chae Rim and the kid now? Changmin will lose his shelter once Chae Rim is stripped off from the custody. Where will he stay?”

      “He’s eighteen.” Si hoo sends a glance to Rita. “He has a say in it. Eighteen is considered adult in some of Asian countries. I know our state sets twenty as the coming of age but I can pull some files from neighbor similar records.” He hastily adds when Rae Im and Yunho jerks up at his first sentence. “Some teens live alone since they are seventeen. Hard yet survive.”

      “Some delinquents teens who visit jail as often as visiting school.” Yunho scoffs.

      “Where does he stay for now? not with Chae rim, right?”

      “He sleeps in my flat.” Junsu says taking the attention to him. “I said to him he could rest there till he’s better.” Junsu eyes Yunho.

Yunho clears his throat.

      “I see.” Rita half grins. “He chose to stay with you or Yunho made him stay with you?”

      “He chose to stay with Junsu.” Yunho replies before Junsu opens his mouth. “I talked with Junsu yesterday about it and possible further arrangement till we can locate his father. Junsu doesn’t mind.”

      “Where is it?” Rita asks again.

      “In the same floor with Chae Rim. Neighbor. Four or five next door neighbor.”

      “Hmm..

      “What do you think, Junsu?” Rae Im focuses her full attention to the quiet man in the room.

      “I’m just a neighbor, ma’am.” Junsu sits stiffly. “I rent the flat for a year only. I’m not capable of taking care any human except myself and I spend time more at work and campus than at home.”

 

 

When Junsu comes home the following morning, he sees a fire truck and fire fighters swirling around the building entrance gate. People are crowding in front of the twin doors and pointing fingers to the third floor. Junsu parks his bike and freezes when he realizes the people are pointing to his floor. He runs to the twin door and got stopped by Fujitsu and one fire fighter in yellow outfit.

      “Wait here. The area is still under clearance.”

      “What’s going on, sir?” Junsu asks, worried. Is Changmin alright?

      “That bi*** tried to burn the flat. She burned books and clothes inside the flat and locked the door. I thought she would leave without a fuss. Should have known it better.” Fujitsu growls.

      “Her flat? Ms. Chae rim?” Junsu’s eyes widen.

      “Who else? I grew tired and fed up of her! I told her to leave last night and she gave up after a long fit at dawn. Her boyfriend picked her up.”

      “Is everyone safe, sir?”

      “Thankfully, yes.” Fujitsu pats Junsu’s back gently. “Just local fire. Number 724 will need fixing and mending but no serious damage done. Ah. That kid. He must be in my flat right now. He’s been waiting for you.”

      “Changmin?” Junsu looks around witnessing the buzz of firefighters walking fast with their equipment.

      “He’s the first seeing the thick smoke crawled up through the door foot. Go see him.”

Junsu doesn’t need to be told twice. He carries his bag and swims through the mass of people standing and talking loudly cursing on Chae rim. He walks straight to the manager’s quarter and knocks the door. Changmin answers him right away.

      “Changmin! Are you alright?” the voice is filled with concern.

Changmin nearly jumps to hug Junsu. He’s too happy to see Junsu again coming to him after what happened yesterday. He holds himself and grins wide instead.

      “Course I am.” He sticks up his chin. “Mr. Fujitsu told me to wait here till all mess is cleared.”

Junsu releases a relief breath.

      “Breakfast.” Junsu s his bag. “I bought chicken porridge.”

Changmin’s eyes shine brighter than morning sun.

      “No spoon, though.” Junsu can’t help smiling at the blatant happiness on Changmin’s eyes. “We have to wait till we are allowed to enter our flat first unless you want to drink them.”

      “Kay.” Changmin grins again. His bruises are getting better and his aches have mostly disappeared. There are marks and scratches on him but he’s too happy. Chae Rim left from the building and Junsu is here with him. Such a great morning.

      “Have you given it good thoughts?” Junsu zips his bag and walks outside of the manager’s quarter.

      “Huh?”

      “The things I asked you a couple of days ago? Remember?”

      “Hmm.. what I really want? Yeah.. sort of.”

      “Yunho will come soon to see you.”

      “Why?” Changmin frowns. “Do I have to follow Chae rim now?”

Junsu ruffles Changmin’s hair. Changmin's frowning look is cute.

      “You have an ongoing case, Min. Taecyon. Police. School.”

      “Yeah yeah.. Okay. Whatever!” Why must you ruin my happiness, Junsu?

They enter the flat an hour later. Junsu reheats the porridge and tells Changmin to eat his breakfast. Changmin eats willingly without question. Everything from Junsu is precious. He eats the porridge up and puts the dirty plate and spoon on the sink. He drinks his water and carries the glass to the livingroom only to find a tired sleeping Junsu on the couch. The water in his mouth leaks out through his lips when he realizes Junsu hasn’t eaten breakfast with him. He is about to wake the sleeping man but halts his steps as he sees the dark circles around the closed eyes and the regular chest movements. Junsu sleeps without pillow. His legs folded into funny triangle since the couch doesn’t accommodate his height. He crosses his arms too, blanketing the front part for heat. Junsu has bathed and changed. Why does he sleep on the couch? The bedroom is there. Why didn’t he have breakfast either? Changmin goes back to kitchen. He washes the plates and spoon in haste and runs to bedroom, getting blanket. He drapes it on Junsu’s half curled sleeping form and sits on the floor close to Junsu’s face. He watches the tired face and dark circled closed eyes.

      “You shouldn’t sleep here.” He mutters low to the sleeping man. “it’s not comfy. You’ll catch backache later when you wake up.”

This face looks so peaceful. Sleeping and breathing.

      “Aunt burned my clothes and books.” Changmin examines the long eyelashes. “I don’t know if there are some left to wear. The book too. Yunho will lecture me long about how important school is as usual. But the books are burned. How do I go to school without books?”

The sleeping man makes no movement.

      “I really want to stay here. With you. I know it’s impossible. Yunho will take me to foster home or somewhere else away from you. I know you don’t like me that much to allow me staying with you. it’s alright.” Changmin smiles. “It’s fine. All the good things never last long. Not for me. You’re the first good thing in years, Junsu. Three days staying here is like heaven for me. No school, no lecture, no argument. Heaven.” His head drops low. “Thank you.” He whispers lower. “Thank you for coming to me at the police station. Thank you for taking me home. Thank you for these three best days ever.”

Changmin rests his both hands on the edge of the couch just three inches from Junsu’s head. He watches Junsu with swelling bursting feeling inside him. He keeps on watching junsu’s every pore and breath till his eyes get heavy and his eyelids drag themselves down. He falls asleep; head nearly bumps to junsu’s head. He sleeps in sitting position. Junsu bats his eyelids open when he is sure Changmin is drifted to sleep. He was asleep but being a light sleeper, he hears Changmin’s sentences though it’s blurry. He caught the points of what changmin said to him. He shifts his curled body to the opposite view and goes back to sleep.

He’s going to talk to changmin later when he wakes up. Serious talk.

 

thank you for reading ^^ i've warned you it's draggy and slow. unreread. (yeah. when do i reread it like seriously?)

chili.