Sharara

Black and Blue

no phone helped me pouring words into this. ^^

 

Changmin lets Junsu sleep undisturbed. He went out to get his things from the half burned flat occupied by his aunt and him when he woke up and saw Junsu was still asleep on the couch. There’s not much left. His clothes and other pair of school uniforms are not wearable anymore. A few of his books are managed to be saved but the rest are history. His school bag has a good see through view and that’s about it. Changmin is thankful he wore his shoes when he ran out of the flat that time otherwise his only shoes would be burned too. Mr. Fujitsu patted Changmin’s shoulder and gave the young man a sincere smile. He didn’t tell Changmin to leave the flat. He handed Changmin’s survived from fire possession and told Changmin to leave the half burned flat. It would be closed for fixing for a week or two. Depends on the builder and the money. Junsu sleeps till ten fifty. He stirs slowly and blinks his eyes sending the remnant of the sleep away. He tries to sit and he is greeted by soreness on his back and waist for sleeping in uncommon position. He groans and stretches.

      “Oh.. hi. You are awake.” Changmin walks approaching him. “You didn’t eat breakfast.”

Junsu needs time to really engage with the world and its all elements. He blinks and yawns several times. His hair is messy and goes to different opposite directions. His heavy eyelids flutter open and close as he is processing to call his soul back to his body.

      “classes today? Work?”

Junsu still blinks and scratches his hair lazily. Changmin grins at what he sees. Junsu looks younger than him in this state. Like a fluffy kitten.

      “wadhtmsit?”

      "Huh?” changmin is confused. What did Junsu just say?

Junsu stretches his hands and legs, twisting his body left and right. He blinks for the last time and eyes changmin.

      “What time is it?”

      “Hehe.. around eleven.”

Junsu jumps out from the couch and runs to bathroom in quick dash. The blanket he’s been draped with falls to the floor and left ignored. Changmin giggles and picks the poor blanket on the floor. He is folding it when Junsu reappears with unwiped wet face and a glass of water in his hand.

      “I have to leave for work before one.” He announces after emptying the glass and sits back on the couch. “Got some parts unfinished for tomorrow’s afternoon class.”

Changmin can’t help grunting and pouting.

      “You’ll sleep in the store again?” He objects the idea. He’s been sleeping alone in Junsu’s flat eversince.

      “If I can finish the assignment for tomorrow before ten, I’ll go home.” Junsu takes breaths. “you wear the same dress since Tuesday.”

Changmin looks down on his body and plays a playful grin.

      “I don’t know what you like. Sorry. Get some changes in the closet. Your school uniform is clean and dry. How are you feeling? Much better?”

Changmin eyes the man in wet face who looks at him in unreadable face and usual calmness.

      “Much better.” Changmin repeats. He puts the folded blanket beside him, stating barrier between Junsu and him.

      “Glad to hear that.”

Not at all, changmin mutters silently. Junsu is about to tell him to leave his flat.

      “Can I ask something, Min?”

      “Shoot.”

      “You don’t like rules, right?”

      “I hate them.” Changmin grits his teeth. Still a bit uncomfortable with the fading bluish mark on them.

      “Um.. Bad news for you then.” Junsu straightens his sitting position. “I don’t usually taking company in living place. I guess you know that I prefer quiet space to do stuff and sleep.”

Yeah. Changmin knows it well. He knows it better during these three days.

      “This flat is small and has nothing to offer for your liking since I don’t have much.” Junsu continues. His eyes look directed straight to Changmin’s. “There’s only one bedroom and an empty kitchen. No TV, radio, or any interesting gadget. I don’t cook well either and I rarely care about food.”

Changmin looks back into the calm pond of Junsu’s clear tadpole eyes.

      “It’s a boring flat.” The older man puts on a thin smile. “Really boring. I don’t expect guests or visitors.”

Changmin doesn’t know how ices could suddenly reside in his stomach. Not any ice. Iceberg.

      “I’m sorry I can’t be much around when you are here. I have classes and work to do. Must be bored to hell and back staying here with all the plain nothingness.”

Truthfully, waiting for junsu’s coming home is a heavy bad task for Changmin. yet, he says nothing, waiting for the bomb to be dropped and explodes.

      “If you don’t mind all of them..

Junsu takes another long breath.

      “If you think you could and would go tolerating some rules here, please consider staying with me till your parents come.”

Changmin sits stoned, hearing nothing. His awareness is still waiting for the end of junsu’s monologue getting rid of him. Junsu’s wet face is not wet anymore. His eyes blink twice expecting respond from the turned to half statue Changmin.

Junsu averts his gaze to the clock pinned on the wall after minutes and minutes pass with no respond from the high schooler.

      “I’d better prepare for work.” He is moving to stand up from the silence circling them.

      “Wait..

Aahhh.. there’s a sign of life from the tall high schooler.

      “Yes?”

      “When will Yunho pick me?”

      “Not sure. Tonight, perhaps. Or tomorrow.”

      “Would you.. be here when Yunho comes picking me up?”

Junsu stands up slowly. He touches his nostril, perplexed.

      “Just leave the key to Mr. Fujitsu.”

      “Will you see me off, Junsu?”

So Changmin really hates rules. Some parts in Junsu’s heart are disappointed.

      “If yunho doesn’t mind waiting, I’ll try to go home as soon as the work finished.”

      “Okay.” Changmin’s head falls. “I’ll ask him to wait for you before I leave.”

The clenches in junsu’s heart go tighter.

      “I’ll take a bath.” He speaks to himself and heads to bathroom. Changmin sits planted on his spot, unmoved and frozen. He is processing everything five times slower due to the lag and buff in his brain and heart. He replays word per word his ears catch and grab spoken to him with b tears on his eyes. His fists formed hard and he refuses to lift his head till junsu is not in the same room with him.

Junsu emerges from bathroom longer than usual. He makes sure his usual look is on and freshly exposed on him before he steps out of bathroom. Changmin is not sitting in the living room anymore. junsu sighs and walks on to get his bag.

      “What rules, junsu?”

Junsu nearly throws his bag to changmin’s face when the high schooler pops up in front of him out of thin air. He is startled and his alarm defense sets off in seconds.

      “Can you not giving people heart attack? I almost hit this bag on your face.” Junsu glares shortly.

      “What rules?” Changmin’s hand has held one of junsu’s in strong grip. “I didn’t hear it right before. What rules?”

      “Your ears  go on vacation? I have to leave for work.”

      “Still twelve something.” Changmin insists. “you just need five minutes to tell me what must I do to stay with you.”

Junsu rolls his eyes.

      “It takes more than half an hour, hero. The list is long.”

      “Just spill. Don’t leave yet before I hear everything yet.”

      “Not my fault your hearing sense dislikes my voice.”

      “Please.” Changmin makes a pleading face. “I promise I’d do all things you tell me to do.”

      “You hate rules.” Junsu’s smile is free and teasing.

      “Let me hear them first.”

      “It’s long and burdensome. You’ll hate them even more.”

Changmin makes a move that looks very similar to tackling the ready to leave for work Junsu.

      “I have to beg now?”

      “No, silly.” Junsu chuckles. “It’s school and graduation.”

      “I’ll do it.” changmin remarks in seconds. “I’ll go to school. I’ll study. I’ll graduate this year.”

      “Not that school like.”

      “So?”

      “Let’s talk later after I get home, okay?”

      “NO!”

      “Min..

      “I said I’ll do it, Junsu. I’ll do it. Let me stay with you. Let me live here. I don’t eat much. I won’t make noise. I won’t fight anymore, I swear.”

They stand close. A little bit too close because Junsu can hear Changmin’s panting breaths saying those words in one breathing. Junsu leads changmin to the couch and sits. He glances at the clock, bargaining and buying times not to come late to work.

      “What do you really want to do for your future, Changmin?”

      “I don’t know. I don’t know.” Changmin bites his lips. His hand still holds Junsu’s hand strongly. He’s afraid that it’s just a dream, a hallucination. He has to make sure Junsu says the words and he hears it right.

      “You haven’t thought about it yet?”

      “I don’t want to go back to my parents’ house. I don’t want to live with aunt. I want to stay here with you!!”

      “It takes a day to stay here. It’s gonna take years, like long years ahead of your life for your future. I asked you to think about what you really want because I would like to hear what your major priorities are. I want to hear what you really look for beside fighting.”

      “I can’t think, Junsu. I don’t like school. I hate the teachers. I don’t have friends but Jonghyun and Jinwoon.  School’s but Yunho said I must graduate from it. I mustn’t drop school out.” Changmin desperately says. Will Junsu change his mind now?

      “My rules involved school. Could you do that?”

Changmin eyes Junsu in frustration.

      “You said you’d go to school and study few minutes ago.”

      “I will!” changmin tightens his grip on Junsu’s hand. “I’ll go and study.”

      “No skipping? No absence? All homework and assignments done?”

      “Promise!” Changmin makes V sign with his free hand.

      “No warning letter from school.”

      “I’m.. I’m.. Okay. No warning letter!”

      “Better score?”

Changmin’s desperation is shown like crystal clear on his face.

      “I’ll help you study when I can.” Junsu assures the troubled boy. “Or you could take extra lessons after school.”

School is bad already and now extra lessons after school??

      “I can stay?”

Junsu nods.

      “Please stay.” He pats Changmin’s arm. “I want you to stay.”

      “For real???” Changmin holds his breaths.

      “Until your parents come.”

Changmin screams and leaps forward hug attacking Junsu.

      “Thank you, Junsu. Thank you, thank you, thank you.”

Junsu’s body goes stiff at the sudden hugging but changmin doesn’t even know. He’s too overwhelmed with the thrill of being allowed to stay with Junsu. Changmin doesn’t see the changes on Junsu’s face when the hug goes longer than one minute.

 

 

Yoochun comes to Kim’s bookstore that afternoon. He comes in his duty uniform and catches eyes with his detective charisma and imperative air combined well with his serious yet handsome face. Yi han informs Junsu that a handsome detective is looking for him. Junsu quickly places two boxes of discounted books on the floor and goes to meet the detective.

      “I heard from Yunho.” The detective flashes his charming smile politely. “You agree to let that kid stay with you.”

Junsu gives the handsome detective a slight nod.

      “We’ll meet often then. Kid like him can’t stay still for more than a couple of weeks.”

      “I hope not, sir.”

      “I’m going to have a background check on you before the legal papers are signed.”

Junsu is perfectly aware about it.

      “By all means, sir.”

      “I hope you don’t mind some questionings or triangulation process in upcoming weeks.”

Junsu gives the officer another yes nod.

      “I’m not doing in personally. Yunho should but that dept always asks for hand from the police. If it causes uncomfortable for your closest people, I apologize in advance.”

Jaejoong is still in Japan. Mr. Kim senior hasn’t called Junsu to his office yet which means the director of the large bookstore is unknown of Junsu’s three million loans from the store. And now his past and background will be investigated. Junsu feels like air is getting scarce and thin around him. he needs to breath more. He needs to release some pressure in his chest and shoulder.

 

 

When Yunho and Rae Im come that evening, they meets a fidgety Changmin whose eyes always darted to the door and hands squeezed each other in restlessness.

      “This flat is neat.” Rae Im casts her eyes around the small living room.

      “I heard about your aunt burning your books and clothes. I’m sorry.” Yunho smiles reassuring Changmin. “Mr. Fujitsu has informed us about the rent too. She took the safe flat payment for this and next year. That’s bad.”

Changmin nods. He starts to worry. It’s eight o’clock and Junsu said he would go home from work as soon as possible. Can’t it be now?

      “How’s your school?”

Changmin blinks. Why does everyone always ask him about that useless building?

      “Bad.” He mutters.

      “Hmm.. taecyon has left hospital today. You are going to see him soon at school.”

Junsu, please be home soon.

      “We have considered about your case.” Rae Im changes her tone into serious one. “There are other children in worse conditions than you, Changmin. You are older than most children under our care and your parent is still at large out there. Foster homes are not always available so we would like to-

      “Junsu said I could stay here.” Changmin quickly cuts in. “He told me that before leaving for work. I could stay. I could live with him.”

Yunho and Rae Im exchange look.

      “Um.. The point is Junsu is not related with you. We can’t possibly allow you to live under stranger’s roof.”

      “What do you mean he’s stranger? He lives here and he’s been helping me.” Changmin raises his voice. “He’s way much better than anyone else.”

      “Changmin.” Yunho sighs. “That’s the problem. Junsu is not related with you. He’s an outsider and unless we get official agreement from Junsu and your legal guardian, in this case, the state, then you couldn’t stay here.”

      “Junsu agrees.” Changmin’s face hardens. “He said as long as I go to school and study well I can stay with him.”

Rae Im coughs uncomfortably.

      “I thought school and you have mutual disinterest?”

      “I’ll go to school.” Changmin says seriously. “I’ll study hard to graduate this year.” The eyes of the highschooler are round with determined will. Yunho sees how different changmin is now compared to Changmin he usually meets. Three days with Junsu influences him that much? School is a bad deal for Changmin and now the boy says it himself that he will study well. Tinkerbell exists or what?

      “Please, Yunho. I want to stay with him.”

Whoa. This boy knows how to plead too?

      “You can go back to EdgeBank and live with your grandparent. We won’t tell you to go to school there and we won’t bother you with surveillance.”

Changmin shakes his head furiously. He wants to stay with Junsu.

      “You have a police report here and you might be sent to jail.” Rae Im crosses her arms. “If you go back to EdgeBank, you’ll be set free from any charge.”

      “I’ll do it. I’ll go to jail.” Changmin bites his lips.

      “Junsu can’t help you about your case. He’s not your legal guardian.”

Changmin nods hard several times.

      “It’s my fault. I will see the consequences, sir.”

Yunho hides a smile.

      “Junsu is free to hand you back to us whenever he feels he is too busy or he has more load on his work. He’s not related. He has no exact responsibility to take your guardian’s role.”

      “He.. he can send me back to.. grandpa?” Changmin’s heart loses its half light.

      “Sure he can. He allows you to stay with him but he’s not your guardian. Giving you space under his roof is the best he can do about it.”

      “Can’t.. Can’t he.. be my guardian?”

      “There’s a long law process to go there, boy.” Rae Im scoffs. “I know Junsu is a good person but law process takes a lot more than a good will. He will take a full bar or responsibility over you and I’m not sure he could fulfill it with his work shift and his study.”

      “He’s 21, changmin. Legal guardian acquires stable income, well education support, social recommendation aside from bloodline and judges’ consent.”

So much things changmin doesn’t understand.

      “Chae rim..

      “Your aunt is 25. She lives independently, she has a stable job to support both of you and she’s your mother’s sister that enables her to give you security in social and law view.”

Security my toes, Changmin wants to punch the table.

      “But she doesn’t like me.”

Rae Im gives Yunho a disapproval look.

      “Let’s try this, boy.” Rae Im leans back stiffly. “we’ll see Junsu tomorrow morning to get his approval of letting you stay with him for a month.”

      “A month?” changmin’s heart crumbles into ugly badly cooked porridge.

      “We’ll find your father soon to settle things.” Rae Im doesn’t falter or affected with Changmin’s heavy disappointment look. “For thirty days starts from tomorrow after Junsu signs his approval, you can stay here. Either you go to school or not, it’s up to you but once your father comes, you must go with him.”

      “I’ll go to school.” Changmin is nearly in tears.

      “Then you have to come soon and explain everything to your school principal about the arrangement. If the school takes you, you go. If the school denies you with your bad record and your recent case with Taecyon, be good and don’t make trouble till your father comes. Understand?”

Changmin nods. Does he have choice?

      “Alright.” The stern voice turns to Yunho. “I’ll prepare the papers. Where can we reach Junsu? He has phone?”

Changmin shakes his head, heart shattered and broken.

      “There’s a phone in Mr. Fujitsu’s quarter.” He slowly mutters.

Rae Im rolls her eyes in annoyance. She stands up from the couch.

      “I guess we are done here. Tell Junsu to see Yunho first thing in the morning.”

      “I’ll see him.” Yunho smiles warmly. “He has shifts. I can drive here before he goes to work or to campus. Right, Changmin?”

Changmin nods heavily.

 

Junsu comes after eleven. He brings some donuts and fried rice along for dinner. Junsu’s dinner. He had chicken porridge before going home this morning and eats nothing else afterward. Changmin could have had dinner before. That’s why he bought donuts. He enters the flat and meets Changmin’s long face sitting on the floor beside the couch. The boy wears another shirt of Junsu’s. Fits him.

      “Hi.” Junsu greets. “I thought you’ve slept. Want some donuts?”

Changmin lifts his head and Junsu sees fade glints of broken light on Changmin’s eyes. He puts his bag down on the table and approaches Changmin.

      “What’s wrong?” He nudges the boy’s shoulder gently. He sits on the floor next to Changmin.

      “Yunho came.”

      “Ah.” Junsu understands. “Did he say I have to go see him?”

      “His friend said I can stay with you for a month only, Junsu.” Changmin bites his lips holding back the disappointment and peeping water in his eyes. “Only a month.”

      “I see.” Junsu leans on the wall behind them. “At least I know you’ll sleep well under a roof for a month. That’s not bad.”

Changmin turns his head to see Junsu and sees the thin calm smile on Junsu’s lips.

      “You can get bored staying with me after a week.” Junsu nudges changmin’s ribs softly. “I’m not a fun person. I’m a bad one.” He shows his teeth.

      “Junsu..

      “I’ll see Yunho tomorrow. I’m hungry. Want some donuts?”

Junsu pulls Changmin to stand up and follows him to kitchen. He opens the donuts box and offers it changmin. changmin shakes his head. He doesn’t have any appetite to eat.

      “Fried rice? It’s cold. I’ll reheat it. Would you get plates for us, please?”

In the kitchen, at late hour, they both have their dinner. Junsu makes Changmin eat with him. The fried rice isn’t tasty. The donuts are too sweet. Junsu apologizes because he bought them on sale. Hence the incoherent taste. Changmin smiles after the fried rice is eaten up. They eat with a scold for the taste and laugh when they wash the dishes.

      “Min..”

      “Yes?”

      “I have a day off on Monday next week.”

Changmin eyes Junsu, expecting something.

      “How about we go to Taecyon’s parents and apologize?”

      “Huh?”

      “Excuse me will sound better, you know.” Junsu ruffles Changmin’s hair.

      “He started it. I don’t regret kicking him. Why would I apologize when he started the fight? I told him to stop beating me but he just laughed and ruined it.”

      “Because apologizing shows how big your heart is.”

      “HUH?”

      “I told you excuse me sounds better, you naughty hero.” Junsu chuckles. “You didn’t start the fight. It shows how good you are. They should see that your big heart is bigger than their son’s failed prank on you.”

      “But…

      “It’s alright if you don’t feel like it.” junsu smiles again. “Apology comes from the heart, not forced one. I just think we can talk to them and straighten some basic things out.”

      “What basic things?” Changmin’s eyebrows meet.

      “Like don’t mess up with you. Taecyon might survive your fist this time but none can guarantee his legs and arms are still intact when he provokes you again.”

Changmin grins. He likes the idea. Junsu is different from the other adults, he knows.

      “Okay.” Changmin agrees.

      “And go to school to see your principal too after we meet the Ok parents.”

      “HUH?”

Junsu shakes his head in amusement.

      “We will talk with your principal about your fault. You skipped school a lot, remember? Apologize to the principal and your homeroom teacher. We’ll tell them that Changmin is ready to beat anyone in exams this year.”

      “That’s too much.” Changmin protests. “I don’t even know what subjects they teach everyday and you say I’ll beat all students in exams?”

Junsu laughs. Changmin’s protesting look is warming and cute he feels like tweaking Changmin’s nose.

      “What do you think?”

      “Hmfff..” Changmin tilts his head, taking time to answer.

      “Or you could go see Yunho and thanks him for helping you.”

      “Helping what? He just gave me a month.”

      “He paid two millions four your bail, hero. If it’s not for his kindness, you’ll still be there, stared and bullied by pickpocketers, robbers, thieves, ..”

      “Alright. Alright. Alright. Taecyon, school and Yunho!” Changmin stomps his feet, pouting. Yunho paid for his bail? That social worker? Changmin has to admit he underestimates Yunho.

Junsu burts out laughing, his shoulders moves in rhythm as his laughter fills the room.

      “Just Ok parents and school, Min. Yunho is your personal decision.”

Changmin curls his lips and nose but his inside is floating with tenderness and warmth. He might have no shirts and trousers left to wear the next day as Chae rim burned most of them. Gonna takes money and time to fix those old shabby clothes anyway. He might have meal once a day. He might face long boring days at school but it’s all worth Junsu’s company. Junsu never fails making Changmin smile. Junsu gives him indescribable comforts that mean the whole new happiness for Changmin. Is it wrong to pray that his father will never come?

 

unbetaed. thank you for reading.