Sol

Black and Blue

 

a treat for weekend since i'm gonna have loong days off. have a great weekend, everyone.

 

These three weeks are the days where sun shines brighter and everything is bearable for Changmin. He can’t explain it well how Junsu makes him do things Changmin never does before. Junsu doesn’t scold him, Junsu doesn’t yell at him, Junsu doesn’t interrogate him, Junsu doesn’t treat him like a kid. Changmin is so accustomed to be shouted at, sworn, punished or told to do things that he finds it odds Junsu does the opposite. His fear now is Junsu’s getting angry at him and send him to EdgeBank so Changmin does everything in his power to prevent that. The changes are drastic it gives Changmin headache at first.

Junsu gives up his bedroom and tells Changmin to use it. He empties the closet and brings the clothes (there are only few ones in the closet) to the other room (changmin calls it book room). Junsu declares the book room as his bedroom from that day onward. Of course changmin protests at the arrangement. It’s Junsu’s flat and there’s only one bed in the flat. Changmin has been sleeping on it since Junsu took him in. How could Junsu give it up to him?

      “Silly.” The man ruffles Changmin’s hair, smiling his enthralling lips movement that block the rest of changmin’s protest. “You have school from Monday to Friday. My work shifts and classes’ assignments will consume more time out of home. I rarely use bedroom anyway. Better you use it.”

Changmin protests again when Junsu uses old blankets as his bed and sleeps on the floor but one look from Junsu and he obeys. Junsu tells him it’s Changmin’s room. Changmin is free to do anything there, junsu won’t object or say a thing on how he manage his things in his bedroom. It’s really weird to have such freedom after all his life he is told to follow and do what the adults say to rule Changmin.

Then uniform.

Changmin just has one pair. The other one was half burned into ugly state and can’t be worn anymore. Junsu brings a new pair of uniform after a week. Changmin gapes and demands him to explain how did Junsu get a new pair of uniform for him when it’s clear junsu has no new shirt at all.

      “I went to school yesterday.” Junsu answers. He takes a seat on the couch to rest his tired body.

      “I didn’t see you at school!” Changmin pursues. He sits on the couch too, embracing the new uniform in his arms.

      “You were already home, I guess. I went to see your homeroom teacher after my class in uni. We talked about your academic scores.”

      “And?”

      “And you get your new uniform.” Junsu smiles.

      “And?”

      “And I’m sleepy. Can I sleep now, hero?” Junsu yawns. “Have you had dinner?”

Changmin comes to his homeroom teacher and asks about Junsu’s coming. She confirms it. changmin takes it that his stern homeroom teacher is impressed by Junsu’s coming.

      “You have such a good brother.” The teacher smiles fondly. “he asked about how did you do at school last week and did you get along well with the other students.”

He’s not my brother. He’s Junsu.

      “He asked where to get new uniform for you. I’m sorry about your burned uniform, Changmin. You could tell the school about it. Your brother bought a new pair from school’s store.”

Junsu bought it for him. changmin can hear junsu’s simple answer later when he asks the busy at home. He bets junsu is going to say “school is more important. No reason to skip it because your uniform is being washed.”

Does he say that? No. instead, Junsu gives him an amused look and chuckles.

      “I saw students in the store.” His chuckle is half muffled by his covering hand on his mouth. “Girls talked about how cool A is. How nerd B is. It’s fun to hear what their opinions are.”

Changmin casts a sharp glare because it’s not the answer he wants.

      “I think you are the cool one.” Junsu grins. “You’ll get better eyes on you with better uniform”

Changmin is thrown out of the window. Not literally.

Junsu’s chuckle runs into free laugh.

      “Kidding.” He pats Changmin’s shoulder. “Yunho asked me to get new uniform for you. He’s such a great person.”

Ah. Yunho. That’s another part of the arrangement.

Changmin goes to see his social advisor to thank for his help. Yunho is surprised and welcomes changmin in his untidy office. Papers are everywhere. Typical busy employee working room.

      “Junsu told you I paid two millions?” The tall officer cackles “Yes I did. Why, that’s not necessary. You should thank the whole department too. It’s not me, Changmin but thank you for coming here. It’s nice of you.”

Changmin bows in unsure.

      “Um.. for the new uniform too.”

      “I see. You are welcome. The school called us about it. I heard Junsu went to your school and bought a new pair of uniform for you. We paid for the uniform and refund his money.”

So, in short, Junsu bought it for him.

      “He really cares about you, doesn’t he?” Yunho is thankful for Junsu’s willingness taking Changmin in. “People usually come to us first asking for money to buy school equipments for the children in their care. Some of the relatives of the children see us as their personal bank to get money and use children’s necessities as the excuse. Junsu doesn’t know that we could provide school equipment for you. He bought your new uniform with his own money.” Yunho smiles at the stunned Changmin. “I wish all the children have good guardian like him. If I were you, I’d want a brother like him too.”

Junsu is not my brother!! Changmin wants to scream it to Yunho’s face.

Next, the school.

Changmin goes to school everyday. He doesn’t cut class anymore and he tries to listen to the teacher explaining about the boring subject changmin has no idea what it is. Jonghyun is the only happy student welcoming Changmin back at school. Jinwoon is not as happy as Jonghyun because he is in the same class with Taecyon and Chansung.

      “I’m really glad you’re back.” Jonghyun punches Changmin’s arm. “Boring like heller hell without you around.”

      “Yeah. Can’t leave you dominating all the moron face alone, can i?”

      “Chansung been telling us about the little show you had with him and Taecyon. He spits bull everyday, man. You were sent to jail? Cool. How did you manage to break out and go back here?”

      “Long story. You don’t wanna know .”

School is boring and useless but Changmin promised he’d do anything Junsu asked him to so he bears the long stupid boredom till the bell rings and he can go home. The teachers are somewhat astonished that Changmin stays in class till the day’s over and not making chaos as usual. Changmin sits on his chair with blank bored look but he stays. He writes down everything written on the white board and does exercise too. They can’t believe the wild untamed lion can sit still more than three days but hey.. it’s two weeks already and no fighting so far.

The long boring torture at school is wiped clean when Junsu comes home and greets changmin in his usual calmness.

      “How are you doing at school today? Anything fun?”

It was odd at first. Adults preach Changmin how deadly important school is but none really asks him about what he goes through at school. Adults love good scores and wowing academic reports, not the tidbits of stupid days he has to pass every day. Junsu asks about what he does in school and does he have fun. It’s a total different concept of school day.

      “So so. Not much.”

      “Homework?”

      “A bunch.”

Junsu chuckles.

      “Eat first before you fight those bunch. Empty stomach is easily defeated.”

Saturday is free school day so Junsu asks Changmin another question.

      “Not hanging out with friends?”

      “No friend.”

      “You said Jo.. Hun.. who is it..

      “Jonghyun? He lives in the west district.”

      “hm.. I have work today.”

      “I know. I’ll clean my room.”

Junsu raises his eyebrow.

      “It’s Saturday. Don’t you want to do something fun before Monday? School is boring, right?”

      “But my room is.. Don’t look!” changmin has run and blocked Junsu from peeping into his messy bedroom. Junsu laughs and pushes changmin aside. He laughes harder when he sees how chaotic Changmin’s bedroom is.

      “I told ya not to look.” Changmin grunts. “I’ll clean it today. Stop laughing, Junsu.”

Junsu laughs more and sticks out his tongue.

      “I’ll help.” He offers, chuckling.

      “No. You have work. Go! shoo.. shoo..”

Yes. Changmin grew up in a messy untidy house (foster homes are excluded, he never stayed longer than two weeks in each house. Chae rim was the messiest one) and Junsu is the exact opposite of them. Changmin learns to put things in places and keep the flat neat and clean. Junsu always sweeps and mops the floor once in two days or anytime he has off day from work and changmin feels bad about not keeping it though Junsu doesn’t say a word of his habit leaving things everywhere. Junsu doesn’t use words to scold him. Junsu simply picks the things changmin litters around and puts them back to places then clean the floor. It does better than loud scolding because Changmin feels really bad and guilty beyond punishment. He’s so afraid junsu will not talk to him anymore because of his bad habit. No. Junsu only sighs and then goes to his room. He stays there all the time and comes out for bathing or getting water. Changmin learns that physical punishment is way bearable than this kind of guilt.

Still about school.

At the end of the month, Changmin turns to his old bad tempered person. He is reminded that his days living with Junsu will end soon and Rae Im or Yunho will move him somewhere else. Rae Im said a month, right? Why does a month have only four weeks? Why not twelve weeks? No one cares about him like Junsu does. None cares to see his old shabby school uniform and buys him new one but Junsu. None asks him about his school day and what he feels about it but Junsu. None gives him a warm clean bed and a real room to do whatever he likes but Junsu. Why just a month? Why?

      “Give this to your brother.”

Changmin grits his teeth. His homeroom teacher hands a letter to him.

      “He’s not my brother, ma’am.” He says coldly. How many times Changmin has to repeat it to everyone who says Junsu is his brother? Should changmin plant a banner on his head that he is not Junsu’s younger brother. He’s a Shim and Junsu is a Kim. Can’t smart people get something very simple straight?

      “Alright. Just give it to him.”

      “What is it? A warning letter?”

The homeroom teacher recognizes the rebel and anger in the student.

      “No. a meeting to discuss about your academic report.”

      “Can I talk about it myself? Junsu is very busy, ma’am.” He hates to bug Junsu with his school useless meeting. Junsu looks more tired these two weeks, working on and on without a break. He couldn’t add the stress to Junsu with school stuff.

      “He’s your brother and your temporer guardian till your parents-

      “HE’S NOT MY BROTHER!!”

      “SHIM CHANGMIN!”

For the first time in a month, he cut classes and goes home in sour mood. He doesn’t greet Mr. Fujitsu like he usually does these thirty days. He ignores people’s greeting to him. He wants to punch something or beat something. He throws his bag harshly on the wall and let the content spilled on the floor. He throws his shoes randomly and screams in frustration. He punches his bed and pillow before throwing himself on it.

      “F*** YOU!!” He curses to nothing. “LEAVE ME ALONE!!!”

He sobs soundlessly. He doesn’t want to leave Junsu’s flat. He wants desperately to live with Junsu. A month will end in two days and he can’t bear the suffocating feeling of being ripped and chopped into smooth wheat flour. He has torn the letter in front of his homeroom teacher’s face. He nearly started a fight with some junior students who poked fun at his D scores on Math and other subjects. So what if he got Ds? None of your nose! Jonghyun caught his about to fly fist and dragged him to school yard.

      “Don’t fight with weaklings. Not worth the detention.”

Nothing of him is worth a thing anymore. He is a dirt. A dust. An endless dead weight to everything. Why was he born again? Mom chose his sister. Father is just a figure of name and source of his surname. He is none. Nothing. Changmin curses and cries over his unwanted being. He locks himself in his room, enlarging his eyes’ size and shutting himself from the world till junsu knocks on his door.

      “Changmin? Have you had dinner? I bring fried rice again.”

Changmin doesn’t bother to answer. He has no mood to deal with anything. He wants to be left alone.

      “I’ll reheat your share later if you are not hungry now.”

Changmin rolls on the bed, still wearing his school uniform. He rubs his face and covers it with pillow. He doesn’t even want to see Junsu.

When changmin opens the bedroom door hours later to go to bathroom, he finds Junsu in his room, writing diligently on paper laid in front of him. Junsu lifts his head hearing the opened door sound and smiles at Changmin’s swollen eyes.

      “Bad day at school?”

Changmin walks closer and sits near Junsu. They both sit on the floor since there’s no bed in junsu’s room. Junsu piles up two old blankets as the mattress to sleep on it.

      “I snapped at Ms. Trang.” Changmin confesses with head dropped low.

      “Hm? She said something offending you?”

Changmin shakes his head.

      “I was.. in bad mood.”

      “Care to tell me why?”

He can’t tell Junsu that he wants to live forever with this man who has everything of Changmin’s. That’s scary. Changmin himself wouldn’t want to be confessed that someone wants to stick to him forever. Ugh. It feels good to have Junsu around but telling him he wants Junsu forever is like..

      “Can I sleep here?” Changmin folds his knees.

      “You don’t like your bed?”

Changmin pouts out of his awareness.

      “It’s almost a month in two days.”

Junsu understands it then.

      “I have to finish these.” He points his finger at the papers on the portable folded table in front of him. “Will stay late.”

      “It’s fine. I can sleep with the light on.” Changmin pleads.

      “This room is smaller than your bedroom, hero.”

      “I won’t disturb you. I’ll sleep in the corner. You can date those papers till morning. I just want to sleep near you.”

Junsu puts his pen and reaches Changmin’s hair, ruffling the soft black strands.

      “Change your clothes first.” He smiles and flicks Changmin’s head. “Bath. Dinner then you can sleep here.”

It is past one a.m when Changmin returns to Junsu’s room. He carries pillow, blanket and quickly curls up beside Junsu’s sitting figure. He makes space not to disturb Junsu’s concentration and closes his eyes after ten minutes. He sleeps with the warm feeling that Junsu is near him. Junsu is close to him sitting and doing his assignment. His heart is put at rest and his swirling mind with worries and denial follows suit. He sleeps in peace. The floor is cold and hard but his soul is contented and embraced in warmth.

Junsu leaves for morning class and goes to store right after. Changmin goes to school as usual, ready to get detention from his teacher for cutting classes yesterday. He is told to clean the classes after school ends and he can’t be happier for that. A month with Junsu has made cleaning as easier task for him. His mood is still dark since the ending day is getting closer. Yunho will come soon and Junsu..

Is that Junsu? But he has afternoon shift! What is he doing here? Changmin didn’t tell him about the parent-teacher monthly meeting. How could he..

Changmin runs to his class abandoning his detention task.

      “Junsu!” he calls while running. Junsu stops his steps and turns around.

      “Shouldn’t run in the hall.” Junsu holds Changmin’s panting form. “Not home yet?”

      “Detention.” Changmin quickly stands straight. “I cut classes yesterday. It’s the first, I swear.”

      “Is that why your trouser is wet?” junsu’s eyes flickers with teasing glints.

      “Mopping the floor.” Changmin’s lips curl. “Why are you here?”

      “Meeting Ms. Trang.”

      “But I just cut class yesterday.” Changmin protests. “and I left after second break.”

Junsu makes a small laugh. He pats Changmin playfully.

      “Go do your detention and let’s go home together after that.”

      “But..

      “Am I not allowed to see Ms. Trang?”

      “It’s not that.. but today is.. you have afternoon shift!”

Junsu pushes him gently and walks on to Changmin’s class. Changmin bites his lips, glaring at some passing students who exchange whispers.

      “What are you looking at?” He snarls and marches back to his detention spot. Some students stay after school for clubs activities, extra lessons or extracurricular schedules. Changmin does his cleaning task hastily. He returns the cleaning tools to the storage and runs back to his class. There are few parents left waiting outside the class room. Not all parents are invited. Only those whose children suffer from poor grades or involved in bad cases and Changmin is included in both of them.

      “Hey Shim!” one of his classmates greets. “Is that your brother? He’s cool, man!”

      “He’s not my brother!” Changmin glares fiercely.

      “Oh.. your uncle? But he’s too young and too handsome to be an uncle.”

      “Shut up!” changmin’s blood rushes fast to his face. The classmate is shocked and says no more.

Junsu is inside the class, waiting for his turn to meet and talk with the homeroom teacher. Changmin stands in the door, peeking inside. He catches Junsu’s eyes who looks at his peeping head. Junsu waves at him. changmin quickly ducks his head from the square glass in the door frame. The door is opened two minutes later. Junsu’s calm look emerges and pulls changmin in.

      “Sir..” Ms. Trang stands up from her chair, opposing Junsu’s action pulling Changmin in to their meeting.

      “We are going to discuss about Changmin’s academic report, aren’t we, ma’am? I think Changmin has a right to know what he has achieved in school.”

Huh? Changmin is dumbfounded. He is pulled further to sit next to junsu facing the uncomfortable Ms. Trang.

      “Err.. We don’t usually discuss it in the presence of the student, um.. Junsu.”

Junsu smiles sweetly at the teacher and changmin sees how his teacher melts.

      “I’m sorry for my rudeness, ma’am. I’m rarely ne at home and couldn’t really catch up with changmin’s school progress. My bad, ma’am. It’s better for Changmin to know his own progress and to see what he’s going to plan later with it since I’m not around much. I’m sorry.”

Changmin can’t help the butterflies buzzing their fullest flipping wings everywhere inside him. junsu holds his hand and says the sentences he’s never heard. He’s floating in amazement and he has no idea what could happen next with the busy pounding heartbeating ready to explode anytime from the appreciation and understanding he gets from Junsu.

      “Okay.” The teacher nods. “This is his monthly score records. The other teachers filled the remarks in the right boxes. Please read them.”

Changmin’s face goes red. Junsu is now reading all his Ds and few Cs. He pulls out his hand from junsu, his heart beating for the opposite reasons from the previous matters. It’s beating hard from shame and embarrassment now.

      “What do you think, Min?” junsu eyes him with his rounded tear drop like eyes. Changmin drops his head so low, unable to say a word. The burning red shame reaches his ears.

      “Ms. Trang, is there anything we can do to make Changmin study better?”

The teacher sighs. Chae rim didn’t bother to ask like this. She said something about punishing Changmin instead of asking how to help Changmin.

      “Changmin is actually a smart student.”

Junsu nudges Changmin’s ribs. The boy is too ashamed to lift his head. He drops it lower his temple can touch the teacher’s table.

      “But he lost a lot of time before to catch up with the material taught when he skipped school. It’s difficult to study better if he doesn’t understand the previous subject explained and taught during his absence.”

      “Is it possible to catch up, ma’am?”

      “It depends on Changmin. if he has a will to study extra hours to catch up, I guess he can manage some of it.”

Junsu nudges changmin again but the boy has no face to show.

      “Will school provide the extra hours, ma’am?”

Ms. Trang smiles wider.

      “In fact, we do. There’re extra hours after school till four everyday and extra hours on Saturday from eight a.m to twelve p.m”

      “The tuition?”

      “No, sir.” Ms. Trang bites back chuckle. It’s odd to address sir to such a young good looking man. Junsu is more to be called master or honey than sir but the man looks serious and she never sees Changmin acts so obedient in front of anyone before. “for Changmin’s case, it’s free. The social department has covered everything related to school.”

Junsu’s eyes send thankful spark and the teacher is awed at the sight of thankfulness and sincerity on them.

      “Um.. changmin?” junsu nudges the boy for the third time. “what do you think?”

Changmin can’t say a word. His lips are sewn tight with shame and guilt.

      “Would you mind taking extra lessons?”

Ms. Trang keeps her gaping mouth to stay closed.

      “I mean.. not everyday. I know school is hard and sometimes it’s difficult-

      “I.. I’ll take it.” changmin mumbles.

      “You’ll stay at school till four?”

      “Y-yes.”

Junsu reaches Changmin’s hand, squeezing the quivering palm and fingers softly. Ices come soothing changmin’s nerves at the soft hands’ movement. He breathes longer after the squeeze.

      “Most of his books cannot be used anymore ma’am.”

      “Yes. Mr Yunho has prompted us about the.. incident. Changmin could use the books in the library.” The teacher answers after taking the needed breaths. She’s deep amazed and impressed with what she sees in front of her.

      “Thank you, ma’am. Changmin told me he was impolite to you yesterday. I’m really sorry for that, ma’am.”

      “Ah. It’s fine.” The teacher smiles more. “Students do that nowadays.”

      “No, ma’am. Changmin will not do that anymore. he knows how great and kind you are. Right, Min?”

Changmin nods his head over and over.

      “I-I’m sorry, Ms. Trang.”

From the corner of his eyes, changmin can see that the teacher looks at him in such softened eyes and cares Changmin has just found out the teacher can be that loving.

Junsu buys tall iced bubble orange drinks on the way home. He buys bread, ramen, rice and sardines along with some chicken stripes.

      “I can’t stay long, have to rush for work.” He informs the still embarrassed changmin who drinks his iced orange tall glass quietly. “I’ll be home before eleven. Have lunch soon at home and don’t wait for me for dinner.” He hands the shopping bags to Changmin. “Gotta go now.”

      “Junsu..” Changmin holds Junsu’s arm before the man runs to his bike.

Junsu looks back.

Changmin hugs him shortly before running to the stairs climbing up to the third floor. He doesn’t see Junsu’s face when he hugs the older man. He’s run to escape his own drumming heartbeat and dashes to the flat’s door. He places the shopping bag in the kitchen before he rushes to his bedroom and jumps on to the bed. His heartbeat kicks like it knows no tomorrow.

Yunho might come today or tomorrow. He might not see junsu anymore. He is sad but today.. junsu erases all of his worries with his coming to school and making him so happy. The world has one sun and Changmin’s world has Junsu.

 

unbetaed. thank you for reading. ^^