Extra: Us.

Black and Blue

 

um.. i post this as an apology. i'm not going to reveal what i did but when some of you realize it later, you can't complain since i post this as the redemption. kekeke..

 

Changmin stirs. He is tired of long marathon of a two weeks frenzy semester examination where he is appointed as one of examiners for first year students in Andromeda art course. Since it’s an art course and the pieces cannot be scored by general standard assessment, it takes longer for Changmin to produce the expected awaited score for the students. He’d been through the hardship of being a student (thanks to Junsu) so he values every effort the students put into their art projects. As a result, he’s tired and sleeps most of the time on weekend. Junsu lets him. He even tucks his tall husband and lulls Changmin to sleep more, not even a bit complaining for being put aside on their supposedly ‘us’ time on weekend. Junsu knows Changmin must be exhausted what with ongoing designing orders at hand, assisting four sometimes six classes in Andromeda and extra side dishes as examiner on Changmin’s plate. He wants Changmin to get full rest.

      “Woke up?”

Changmin’s eyes are still glued to dreamland. He hears Junsu’s soothing voice but too lazy to separate from the warm cozy embrace of dream charm.

      “Sleep, hero.” Junsu places soft kisses on Changmin’s forehead and hair. “Breakfast can wait.”

      “Nngggg…” Changmin’s hand moves on its own will reaching for Junsu. It meets its destination and pulls the man to him.

      “Silly.” Junsu smiles, staring at the half asleep Changmin. “Sleep some more.” He kisses Changmin’s hair again, unwinding Changmin’s hand on him and fixes the blanket on Changmin. It’s already ten in the morning. Changmin came home late last night, battered. Junsu had fallen asleep when Changmin joined him in their bed. Must be one or two in the morning because Junsu stayed awake writing his review till midnight.

      “Rrhhgghhin..”

      “Nothing. I’m tidying our house.” Junsu is half chuckling. “Just sleep. I’ll wake you up later.” He walks to the door and closes it slowly, not wanting to disturb Changmin’s sleep. He has tidied their small house up earlier. Changmin usually scolds Junsu for doing home chores. Their house isn’t big or what but Junsu isn’t allowed to get tired and knowing Junsu, he would fix things immediately especially when he has no demanding work like Changmin. His writing reviews or articles can be done anytime and Junsu soon got bored with his too much time doing nothing at hand. The tall artist announced he asked help from one of Jinwoon’s neighbors to help them with the chores (old woman with three children, poor and unemployment so Junsu can’t say no). Changmin doesn’t want Junsu to tire himself with house chores. Junsu had had enough of it back then in their old flat and (Changmin bets) the years when Junsu lived with the Lawrence. Changmin finally agreed to let Junsu help Yunho’s social shelter for homeless children and people with conditions. Junsu must be home when Changmin comes home from work. It means, Junsu helps Yunho only on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Junsu has gained weight during their four years marriage. Not as many as Changmin desires but enough to set Changmin’s worried heart and mind at peace. He still wants more though. He wants Junsu to be warmer when he hugs Junsu or when Junsu hugs him. Four years. It seems that it’s only yesterday he married Changmin. Years run fast and when Junsu glances at the calendar, it’s already another year living with and loving Shim Changmin. Being loved and cared, sometimes too much, coloring Junsu’s life to a degree Junsu thinks it’s somehow not real. He’s so used to being accused, blamed or ignored in the past that getting Changmin’s total attention makes him giddy and pinching himself to remind him that it’s not a dream. Junsu would like to redeem those six years he made Changmin waiting for him. He tries to plan something for Changmin’s upcoming birthday but hasn’t figured out what. Changmin seems so occupied with work lately and Junsu has no heart to bug his husband with unimportant matter. What would make Changmin happier? Junsu is still on the look for the answer.

      “Suuuu…”

That’s his cue. Junsu leaves his work room (Changmin’s actually but Junsu uses it more frequently than Changmin) and goes to see his forever nineteen years old husband. Changmin is standing in their kitchen, rubbing his eyes with messy morning hair and pouting lips. If Changmin wears any anime character pajamas, he totally looks like a high schooler but such pajama doesn’t fit Changmin anymore. Too long legs.

      “You haven’t had breakfast!” Changmin accuses at his smiling husband.

      “I have. Dad and I had waffles and-

      “You left me out again?” The pout goes fuller.

      “You were still dreaming about pallet, colors and numbers.” Junsu rubs Changmin’s arm. He leads the newly awakened man to one of the dining chairs and sits Changmin on it. “Hungry?”

      “You really had breakfast?” Changmin narrows his eyes at Junsu. His husband lets out a mild chuckle. He pecks Changmin’s messy hair twice before getting a glass for Changmin.

      “I have, hero. Milk, tea or orange juice?”

      “You should have woken me up to have breakfast with you, Suuu!” Changmin still sulks.

Junsu pours milk on to the glass. He gets pancakes from the fridge and reheats them for Changmin.

      “I woke you up, hero.” He turns on the stove. “You mumbled something and went back to sleep.”

      “Hmpf!” Changmin sets his face to his right, showing his irritation for being left again. He doesn’t touch the milk in front of him even though his stomach starts kicking a strike.

      “It’s Saturday.” Junsu suppresses his laugh. “Do you have any extra work?”

      “Hmpf!”

      “Shouldn’t you wash your face first before having breakfast?”

      “Hmpf!” but Changmin stands up and heads to bathroom to do what Junsu asks. He reappears in the kitchen in wet half hair and face. Still sulking. The triple layered reheated warm pancakes are served on the table. Complete with its honey shower and fresh sliced strawberries. Junsu sits the sulking man on his seat. He wipes the dripping water on Changmin’s face with tissues and kisses the cheeks.

      “Iliya made a lot of pancakes this morning.” He takes a seat next to Changmin. “Try this.” He cuts the round soft pancakes into bite size and brings it to Changmin’s pursed lips, feeding his sulking husband.

      “I don’t like sweet.” Changmin complains but catches the offered cut. He chews the pancake in delight. It’s delicious.

Junsu rakes the poured honey to the edge of the plate, complying with the complaint. He cuts more and feeds. Changmin blinks and chews the carefully cut bite.

      “Too sweet?”

      “Hmpf!”

Junsu is about to clean the honey from the pancakes’ surface again but Changmin catches his hand, shaking his head not to do so. He reaches the knife and fork from Junsu’s hand, intending to finish the treat by himself but Junsu pushes his hands away.

      “Be good.” Junsu points at Changmin’s nose with the fork in his hand. He goes on feeding Changmin who now looking at him with widened round fully open eyes. It’s the third day in a row where Junsu feeds him like this. On Thursday, Junsu feeds him at dinner. Changmin barely hit home from work. Junsu told him to bath soon. He found hot water was already waiting in their bathroom. His clothes for change also had been folded neatly on bed when he stepped out from shower. Someone must have had prepared it for him earlier. When he finished bathing and intended to do a quick check on his laptop for any email (he’d been ignoring the laptop all day), Junsu came to their work room with a big plate of fried rice, egg, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes and a big glass of warm orange tea. The usual Junsu would pull Changmin to dining room and have dinner together with Mr. Shim. Instead of doing the unwritten law of their home, Junsu brought the dinner to him. He fed Changmin till the plate was as shiny as ceramic. Changmin protested why he’s the only one eating and Junsu told him he had had his dinner with dad before Changmin came home. When Changmin confirmed it to his father, the man nodded his head, seconding Junsu’s sentence.

Then, yesterday. Junsu interrupted his work for lunch. It’s a big bowl of meat balls, tofu, noodle balls and stuff. Ooishii. Warm, fed by the hand he loved and more than filling. It’s breakfast today. Will this continue or Junsu is coaxing him to agree on something? Like welcoming Mark to their house? No way. Rainie was free to come to their home but Mark and his daughters are prohibited from stepping their sory feet on to the fences of Changmin’s house. Rainie Lawrence a.k.a Song Yoo Ra passed away a year after their marriage. Junsu was excluded from the funeral. Changmin almost bombed Mark’s house for that because Junsu hid his utter heart breaking disappointment and sadness not being allowed to attend his mother’s funeral quite convincing hadn’t the nose bleed greeted in sleep. Two days hiding the nose bleed from Changmin, Mr. Shim found his son in law squatting on the corner of their bathroom, one hand clutching his front robe, another hand covering his mouth. The father rushed Junsu to hospital (he learned about Junsu’s semi incurable internal wound) and Changmin barged in the ward like thunder. Donghae announced an inflammation or something similar to that (Changmin didn’t really care about the diagnose. He just needed Junsu to be healed). Changmin called Mark and shot flowery sentences to his step father in law. He was still struggling for their house payment and all. He couldn’t afford plane tickets to punch Mark in his face. Yet. It’s different now. From what Jiro gathers, Mark and his daughters are kind of regretting their harsh treatment to Junsu. Mark called once informing Junsu that Junsu was welcomed to visit Rainie’s grave but Max doesn’t buy it. There must be something behind the sudden hospitality.

      “Full.” Changmin holds Junsu’s hand shoving the last cut.

      “One more.” Junsu pushes the fork.

      “Really full, Suuu..”

Junsu doesn’t force. He puts the last cut on the plate and gets the glass of milk.

      “I’ll drink it.” Changmin grabs the glass before Junsu. He empties half of the content, swallowing the liquid down his throat and drinks the rest half afterward. Junsu cleans the milk traces on the corner of Changmin’s lips with tissue. Changmin can’t help but feeling beyond satiated. He is spoiled too much these three days. More than usual.

      “Not sulking anymore?”

      “Sulking is tiring, you know.” Changmin grins. “But you do have to wake me up next time.”

      “Yes, sir.”

Changmin stretches his relaxed and recharged body. He hasn’t taken a bath. Junsu usually reminds him to bath first before having breakfast. Hm.. exception today?

      “I haven’t bathed.” Changmin holds his husband’s hands. “Would you bath me too, master?” He jokes, eyes flicker with mischievous glints.

      “err…”

Changmin laughs. Junsu’s lost look is always tickling his inside to a state that he wants to pocket his husband and keeps it somewhere far from the nosy world.

      “Just kidding.”

Junsu releases his breaths.

      “Is there anything you want to ask me?”

      “uh.. um.. actually.. yes.”

      “please.”

      “um..”

      “I don’t bite.” Changmin teases. “At least not now and not in the kitchen though I don’t mind any space in our house.”

      “MIN!” Junsu bolts up hearing the implied message.

      “Ouch! Suuuuuuu..!!”

      “Go take a bath! Now!” Junsu pushes the wincing husband.

      “You haven’t asked your questions!” Changmin glomps onto Junsu.

      “Later!”

      “I want it noooowwww! You smacked me. Noowwww!!”

      “You smell.”

      “You didn’t say anything a minute ago.”

Junsu presses his lips together into one thin line.

      “Go bath first. I’ll ask later.”

      “What is it? What is it?”

      “Min!”

      “Suuuuu…!!”

---------

 

Changmin approaches his husband in their work room. Junsu is sitting with focused concentration on his laptop screen. One of the wedding gifts from Jiro. Most of the boxes’ content had been sent to their house. Ji hyo complained about the corrupted space. Junsu gave most of them to Yunho’s shelter. Not that the house is too small for the wedding gifts sent by Jiro but more to let Changmin have his peace that Junsu appreciates Changmin more than most things.

      “Did father say where he’d go?”

Junsu lifts his focused gaze from the screen and meets Changmin’s eyes in close distant to his seat.

      “Mrs. Caecilia’s garden?”

      “Again?”

Junsu lets Changmin sit on his lap. There are three chairs in the room but Changmin chooses to sit on Junsu. He is still curious how much Junsu will spoil him.

      “The third for this week if I’m not mistaken.” Junsu circles his arms around Changmin’s chest. “is it wrong?”

      “I heard this careless whisper that dad is seeing someone.” Junsu doesn’t fling him onto the floor. Good.

      “Eh?”

      “Jinwoon has an army lot of gossip ladies in his neighborhood.” Changmin leans on Junsu. So right and comfortable.

      “You don’t like it?”

      “I duno.” Changmin shrugs. “Father talks better to you than to me.”

      “Do you mind if he is seeing someone?”

      “Not at all. We don’t know where mom is and he’s been alone for long time. He’s not getting any younger.”

      “Why don’t you talk to him more, hero?” Junsu caresses Changmin’s arm. “I know you haven’t fully forgiven him but he’s your father, Min. I wish I have a chance to meet mine and apologize..

      “Not that again, please.” Changmin turns around facing Junsu, glaring sharply. “Is your step father not enough?”

      “It’s different.” Junsu rereaches his changmin’s upper body to lean on his chest. “In my case, I did the damage. In your case, you need to forgive and let go.”

      “I know. I know.” Changmin scrunches his face. He is back in Junsu’s warm embrace. “I’ll ask father later.”

      “Do you need to use this room?”

      “Nope. All the wrecks in semester exams has passed and done. The rest can wait next week. You said you have question to me.” He reminds Junsu.

      “I did?”

      “You did! Don’t pretend you forget it.”

Junsu chuckles. He pats Changmin’s arm gently. High schooler Changmin is irresistibly adorable.

      “Mm.. It’s not urgent.”

      “I wanna hear it.” Changmin demands. “It’s not related to Mark and his chronicles, is it?”

Junsu shakes his head in wider smile.

      “Or the girl students who stupidly put letters in my case?”

      “They are brave.” Junsu laughs. “They handwrote love letters to you, dear Cha-

      “What is your question?” Changmin cuts before Junsu makes fun of him further.

Junsu laughs a little bit more before looking straight into Changmin’s eyes.

      “I’ve been thinking.” Junsu starts. “I haven’t asked dad about this yet because I don’t want him to be burdened with it.”

Sounds the opposite of good.

Changmin waits.

      “Um.. your birthday is within these days.”

Oh.

      “The date is.. you know.. we don’t know the exact date? You said your parents didn’t register your birthday soon and somehow they mixed it with something else.”

Okay. So?

      “I missed six years of your birthday.” Junsu finally says it. “We are married for four years already and I still don’t know what to give to you on your birthday.”

You married me. It’s a life time everlasting gift, Junsu.

      “I can’t give much either.” Junsu’s tone goes low. “If you have anything in mind you’ve been wanting lately, could you tell me? Perhaps I could.. “Junsu sighs. “I shouldn’t ask you, right? It’s supposed to be surprise, right? I’m hopeless.”

Changmin leans away from Junsu’s comforting embrace. Just a bit. He needs to see Junsu better and looking from the right side is less fulfilling than front facing the man he loves. Once he dives into Junsu’s pool of eyes, he sees the question clearly. Those eyes never lie to Changmin. They are always sincere and true, showing the heart of the owner.

Changmin moves and kisses Junsu’s nose.

      “You gave all my birthday gifts in advance, Junsu.” He says in lower tone than Junsu’s. “When you opened your flat door to me and took me in, you gave me all my birthday gifts in the past, present and future.”

Junsu blinks slowly.

      “But..

Changmin lowers his lips from the nose and takes another pair of lips into his. Junsu kisses back, as slowly and claiming as it is allowed. Their sitting position changes adjusting with the deed and when Changmin takes time to breath before kissing again, he’s straddled Junsu.

      “You’ve been spoiling me a lot these three days.”

      “Hmm.” Junsu closes his eyes as the kiss traps them deeper.

      “For my birthday?”

      “Guilty.” Junsu admits. Their lips are wet and their noses pressed lightly to each other.

      “How about my Junsu day?”

      “Doing it every year on your birthday. Not bored?”

Changmin kisses again.

      “Never.”

Junsu pulls the tall man closer onto him.

      “Granted, hero.”

Changmin talks to his father before dinner that night. They talk in the living room for the longest time Junsu has ever recalled. It’s always awkward at first since Changmin hardly finds words to convey to his father but as the minutes crawl into thirty, forty five and hit an hour, Junsu feels the repetitive touches of being loved and listened. Changmin does listen to him. Not that Junsu demands Changmin to always listen to him but the way Changmin does what Junsu says never fails in proving his love to Junsu.

During dinner, Mr. Shim announces that he is seeing Mrs. Caecilia. He’s been wanting to confess to the lady but putting it off because he doesn’t want to upset Changmin. Now that Changmin supports him, he will soon confess to her.

      “Do you think she will accept you, dad?”

Mr. Shim borrows time to answer.

      “I don’t know, son.” He smiles at Junsu’s expectant gaze. “I don’t know myself either. I mean, I’m old and her gardener. I never think I could experience this feeling at this late age. You see, after what I did..” he pauses. “Love is not in for me. It’s like bad omen or curse.”

      “Dad..

      “Can’t help it.” the father glances at his son. “However, seeing how good you two are to each other make me really proud as parent.” He means it. “and perhaps it is the reason how it starts. She is a nice lady and very kind. Whether she returns my intention or not, I’d be happy either way. We could still be friend, at least.”

      “So it’s because of me?” Changmin raises his eyebrow.

      “Min!”

Changmin grins cheekily at his husband.

 

Sunday comes sprinkling light drizzle. Junsu wakes up way too early. The sound of greeting rain wakes him up. He climbs out of bed and exits their bedroom to see the weather outside. He comes back five minute later, adding more blanket onto Changmin’s half curled sleeping form. He goes to the work room and stays there till Mr. Shim greets the son in law good morning. The father is excited about his plan confessing to his beloved one. He tells Junsu that he’s going to spend the whole Sunday with Mrs. Caecilia and he’d better start it as early as possible.

      “Please tell Changmin I won’t have breakfast with you. Gotta go to market to make surprise for her!” his eyes are sparkling. “I’ll greet happy birthday to him later.”

      “Be careful, dad.” Junsu nods. “Good luck!”

Junsu shuts the laptop down and goes to Changmin. Iliya will come soon to do her chores and Changmin stated it twice last night that Junsu must wake him up before the lady helper came.

      “Is it raining?” Changmin asks in groggily. He stretches his arms, legs and body before sitting up.

      “Light one.” Junsu lands a peck on Changmin’s hair. “Morning, hero. Happy birthday.”

      “Hhhnggg..” Changmin lies on their bed again tugging Junsu with him. “Why can’t it be Sunday everyday?”

Junsu chuckles. Changmin’s morning body warmth cocooning him. Maybe he’s spoiled Changmin a little bit too much.

      “My Junsu day.” Changmin murmurs, holding Junsu on top of him. “I want two days.”

      “Two?”

      “Twoooooo…”

      “You are twenty nine today, Min.” Junsu suppresses his laugh.

      “You said I’m forever nineteen.”

      “You are.”

People call greeting happy birthday to Changmin. Jonghyun and Jinwoon first. Yunho and Yoochun later. Donghae calls reminding Junsu to come for his monthly medical check on Tuesday. Junsu declines because Tuesday is his working day in Yunho’s shelter.

      “He’ll come tomorrow.” Changmin steps in the call. “I’ll personally take my husband to your hospital, sir. He’ll be your first patient to check.”

      “You can’t decide my day just because you are my husband!” Junsu protests.

      “You forget tomorrow, eh?” Changmin smirks.

Dang! Changmin’s Junsu day. He can’t escape from it.

Donghae produces sound that looks like a muffled laughter.

      “Oh, by the way. Happy birthday, dear painter. Hyukkie said thanks for the painting you sent to his office.”

The day goes by quickly. The drizzle stops after nine. Changmin wants to go to the circle park and sketch. It’s their favorite destination in any free day when they can spend time together outside home. They always go there by bus despite their better living today. Changmin loves how the park always makes Junsu livelier and happier. The man made scenery has transformed into more modern public corner for relaxation. The trees make friend with newly arrived flowers in pots and semi planted bushes. The corner has witnessed a lot in their lives. Changmin’s six years waiting for Junsu. Junsu’s frequent visits after his mother passed away (mostly alone and without Changmin’s knowledge). Jonghyun proposing to his today’s wife (Changmin’s idea) and many more. But the most essential key of everything the park holds is the memory of their first visit to this place. Changmin can’t express enough thankful for Greyfair for having this one spot in its city landscape. Junsu brought him here to celebrate his high school graduation. They had nothing back then but it was the happiest time in Changmin’s life. Junsu brought him here and shared his most precious moments with his late grandparents with Changmin. when else failed, that one park memory gave him strength to wait a bit more.

      “Don’t play with the spring water.” Changmin warns Junsu. “It’s raining before, remember?”

      “I’m three years older than you.” Junsu scowls. Why does he have to obey? He’s older.

      “My Junsu day!”

      “Tsk!”

Time flies in a wink when you are with your loved one. It’s true. They are reminiscing of old flat days when the sun starts to fall. Junsu tightens Changmin’s knitted shawl around his husband’s neck and shoulder. It’s not that cold but he doesn’t want taking risk with Changmin.

      “I’m stronger than you.” Changmin is amused. Junsu has gained weight but still far from Changmin’s well built proportion.

      “Said the husband who usually forgets doing laundry.”

      “We have Iliya for that.”

      “and the bratty showing off kid.”

      “I’m twenty nine, mind you!”

      “Act like one, hero.”

      “OK. You asked for it. Don’t take back what you said!”

      “Eh?”

      “Let’s go to Janghyuk’s DVD rental.”

      “SHIM CHANGMIN!”

      “Why? I’m acting like any adult male. You said.. ouch! Suuu!”

It’s actually just a joke but Junsu takes it into his heart. Changmin knows Junsu can be very different in bed when he wants to. Very. With bold capital letters. Very it is that night when they make love. It never ceases to amaze Changmin that after four years he’s still somehow clueless how sneaky Junsu starts it. Once things are normal and they are landing for sleep like any day and the next minute he almost forgets that his father lives with them. Well, the father is too busy mooning over his new requited love. He won’t hear any sound they make from their bedroom. Hopefully.

Needless to say. Changmin has marks all over him from top to toe on Monday. Not that he complains about it. Not at all. Junsu has them too. Worse than Changmin’s because Junsu has that kind of baby smooth skin where simple biting will leave certain color on him. Fair enough.

      “Hospital.” Changmin sings to Junsu’s annoyed look.

      “How would I have my check with these … look?” Junsu blames his husband.

      “I didn’t do anything you didn’t do to me.”

      “…..”

The grin is permanently sewn on Changmin’s face the whole Monday. They go to hospital (Junsu does his best delaying his monthly check up or if it’s impossible, avoiding the said building but Changmin catches Junsu in time and drags the man there). As expected, Donghae act his best not to burst into fit laughter when he sees the color on Junsu’s skin. His partner in charge of performing the check up doesn’t say a thing either. The doctor’s face is red not from blushing but from holding back strangling laughter. He is not the doctor in charge for Junsu’s case but he’s been attending most of Junsu’s check-ups to help his husband and Changmin monitoring Junsu’s recent condition after the bad blow of Rainie’s funeral. It was the worst. Not only Junsu’s internal wounds flared but his emotional barrier also broke down and it led to endless nosebleed combined with gastric inflammation. Donghae didn’t tell the truth of how critical Junsu’s state was but to Hyukjae and Yunho.

      “Tuesday would be better, I guess.” Donghae fans himself in front of the sulking Junsu and grinning Changmin after laughing out loud somewhere safe. “It’s Changmin’s birthday. My colleague would understand if you move the appointment on to Wednesday or Thursday.”

      “He’ll throw excuses as usual.” Changmin rolls his eyes. “I use my birthday gift to drag him here.”

      “Oh. That explains.”

      “What?” Junsu puts on an ugly look. He hates hospital most of all.

      “Urm.. nothing. I’ll tell you the result in a couple of hours.”

Junsu can’t sulk too long. Not when it’s Changmin’s birthday. They go to Kim’s book store, Yunho and Yoochun’s house (yunchun is like second parent to Changmin) and go home after shopping for groceries. When they are home, the father has been waiting to officially introduce Mrs. Caecilia as his girlfriend. They have met several times before so it feels funny to be introduced formally. Junsu breaks the ice as usual and soon the atmosphere turns to bright orange.

      “I know it sounds too fast but.. Cecil and I decided to make our relationship official soon.” The father clears his throat.

      “Dad will marry?” Junsu rounds his tadpole eyes in surprise.

      “Well, maybe get engaged first. It will take time for my side to accept our decision.” Mrs. Caecilia replies. “My children are not in GreyFair, however, I need to hear their approval first before we get married.”

      “I don’t think they would mind.” Changmin smiles at the fine lady. “they have their own family and I’m sure they want you to be happy.”

      “That’s so nice of you.” the fine lady beams.

      “You’ll still live with us, right, dad?” Junsu feels a pang in the deep of his heart. He has considered Changmin’s father as his own.

      “Um.. about that…

      “I asked him to move in with me.” The lady quickly answers. “My house is big and I live alone. I’m sorry.”

      “No. No. No, ma’am. It’s fine with us.” Changmin assures as he squeezes Junsu’s hand. “Father will come visit us often if not everyday, right, father?”

      “Yes, son. I’ll still bother you.” The father also sees Junsu’s sad eyes. “Or you could come to my fiancee’s house.”

      “It’s not that far from here.” The lady adds. The son in law looks slightly broken hearing the arrangement. She was expecting the son reacting that way, not the in law. “And it’s not now. Your father will move in with me after we get married.”

      “I’m sorry.” Junsu bites his lower lip. “I’m just..

      “You don’t want him to leave, I understand.” The lady smiles in understanding. “He doesn’t. He’ll just work in my garden longer than usual.”

Everyone laughs.

The lady has prepared an exquisite dinner to celebrate their engagement and Changmin’s birthday. They eat in warm company and hearty laughter. Changmin makes sure Junsu is eating well during dinner. They call it a night and go to the awaiting bed after small talk in the living room discussing the upcoming wedding for the old couple.

      “Sleep, love.” Junsu pets Changmin’s hair as the tall artist curls up to him. “You spent the day accompanying me instead me accompanying you.”

      “Hmmm…”

      “Happy birthday, hero.”

      “Hmm..”

      “Junsu loves you.”

 

Changmin doesn’t see it at first. When he comes to Andromeda on Tuesday, the staffs are throwing a surprise birthday party to him. Next, his students celebrate his birthday in class. Alejandro, the man himself greets happy birthday personally in the afternoon. Max’s work desk is filled with pile of birthday gift packages from colleagues, students, business clients and some names Changmin doesn’t recognize. Song Ji hyo called in the morning earlier, screeching at Junsu as usual before saying the birthday wish for Changmin. it’s when he is about to go home that he decides to check his laptop for any emails (again). There are a lot (similar birthday greetings) incoming mails. Cho Kyuhyun is one of them. He clicks the latest files he’s working on some projects on and his eyes bump into one small note at the end of one of his files.

 

My Changmin. (Changmin’s stomach still flutters with thousand butterflies nesting in it everytime he hears Junsu calls him that way)

The date when you were born is the most cherished date for Junsu because it’s the date when a baby was carried to see the world and changed many people’s lives especially my bitter life. You were born, grew up and alive to this day for my utmost happiness. You mean a lot for many people and you mean life for Junsu. Thank you for being born. Thank you for being here for people who love you. Thank you for being my strength, my support, my gift and my shoulder to cry on. Thank you for giving me chance to love you. Thank you for being a very understanding and loving husband. Thank you for your willingness married to Kim Junsu. I should give you better days and better future but so far, I’m just able to give you company. I want to present something on your birthday but when I asked, you just wanted a day.

You have the whole days of mine for the rest of our life, hero. It’s our marriage vow.

On the day when you were born, I was three years old; knowing nothing about another life was delivered to be my most loved and most precious person in my world.

Happy birthday, hero.

Shim Junsu loves you, Kim Changmin.

 

Your husband.

 

Changmin stares at the note. He rereads it several times before saving and copying it to his flash disk. He prints and pins it together with the previous Junsu’s note to Junho. Up till today, Junsu doesn’t know Changmin knows and keeps the long note he wrote to Junho. He has one four-pages long letter, one long note and one newly found birthday note from Junsu. junsu has no idea that his note is the best gift for Changmin’s birthday. Junsu has no idea that he himself is the gift. Changmin smiles and packs his things to go home. He fishes for his phone and dials a number.

      “Shim Junsu, your Changmin is on the way home. You’d better be there when I’m home because I’m sulking and angry.”

Junsu’s soft soothing voice is heard through the line.

      “Be waiting for you here, hero. I’m home already.”

Our home. You. Me. Us.

 

------------

 

      “Luhan, your turn!”

The called name comes forward to the pointed spot in the class. Some other students boo and making faces at him. He’s a new student in GreyFair high. Transferred in the middle of first academic year from a place he doesn’t want to remember or talk about.

      “Quiet, class. Let Luhan speak his part!” The teacher taps the long wooden ruler on her desk.

Luhan clears his throat before he begins.

      “Family. For me, it’s a home where none beats me or calling me names. It’s a place where I can sing as loud as I want or dance as much as I can or punches any fuc-

      “Luhan!”

      “Sorry, ma’am.” Luhan grins. The other students boo at him again. They have experienced the strong punches. “My parents are the best ones in the world. At least for me. They don’t beat me.” Changmin did once or twice when he harmed Junsu but it was last year when he was still wild and stupid. Not anymore and he thanked Changmin for that. How could you even think of kicking Junsu? “When I make mistakes, which is often if not most of the time, they don’t kick or ground me with cursing or swearing names. They make me do chores instead. Make no mistakes. I hate chores. Yuck.” Junsu will show him how to do things first. When he does it recklessly, Junsu will smile and fix it for him so that Changmin would not scold Luhan when Maya reports to Changmin later. “why would we wash someone else’s dishes or clean someone else’s rooms? Tsk. Anyway.” Luhan quickly changes his sentences when the teacher glares at him. “My parents are really kind. They don’t look down on me when I get Ds.” The students laugh at him. Yes. He is the soulmate for D. “Junsu told me that score is not everything. As long as I do my best and prove to myself that this is as far as I go, he’s okay with it.”

      “Is that why you always get D? Your parents okay with it?” The girl student in the front row asks.

      “Partly true. Junsu knows I love music more than books. He said life is too narrow to be drawn into books only. If I could be happy with music and be responsible on what I choose, blah blah blah.. it’s okay with him.”

The teacher says nothing. Luhan shows tremendous progress these six months compared to the first months he was sent to the school. More well behaved, more polite, more respect toward teachers, more cooperative and more willing to study though he still fights a lot around.

      “How about your siblings?”

      “Huh? Maya is so spoiled. She’s my only sister so okay.. I can tolerate her whiny tattling habit to Changmin. She’s nice most of the times when Changmin grounds me though she’s y when..

      “LUHAN!”

      “Sorry, ma’am!”

      “And your brother?”

Luhan frowns. Brother? Junsu and Changmin take Maya and him only.

      “Oh, you mean, Sehun? Well, he’s as good as brother but he’s uncle Jonghyun’s son. He loiters in our home all of the time that some people mistake him as my brother. He’s not.”

      “Why do you fight?”

      “Habit, I guess.”Luhan shrugs. “It’s the only thing I’m good at besides singing.”

      “Must be nice living with parents like Mr. Max.”

Luhan sneers at the voice owner.

      “It is. Very nice.”

      “Isn’t he a strict one? One guy in my neighborhood studies in Andromeda and says that Max is scary.”

      “He’s strict.” Luhan agrees. Yeah, strict in front of him and Maya but turns into child around Junsu. His father is more spoiled than Maya. Junsu is babying his father too much. Luhan hates it at first. He’s so alien with the displayed affection Junsu and Changmin did around him. He didn’t understand why Changmin loves hugging Junsu so much but when Junsu hugged him shortly after he fought and got bruised, he understood. Junsu is always the first person coming and standing up for him against the people accusing him. Uncle Yoochun lectured him long and long about law and its consequences if he keeps fighting around and ruining his own life. Uncle Yunho sighed over and over trying to plant some senses into him. Granny Lee and her army (uncle Hyukjae and Donghae) scolded him but Junsu said nothing, simply hugged him shortly and asked where he got hurt instead of questioning him. It’s so absurd at first that Luhan spat on Junsu and rejected the sincerity over and over. Changmin came into the view and he shrank. Not that he’s afraid of Changmin but the eyes he saw on the pair of dark brown orbs when Changmin knew how he treated Junsu was.. poisonous.

      “You just mistreated the man I love most, kid! I’m not patient like my husband. You treat him better or you’ll face me!”

Luhan didn’t know back then that Changmin is way better fighter than him. Three simple moves and he was on the ground. Defeated easily.

      “Thank you, Luhan. Next. Taylor!”

Luhan walks back to his seat. He sits lazily waiting for the school to end. It’s Friday. Junsu is home. Maya must have been home by now. He wants to go home soon and tells Junsu about the song he’s just composed during history lesson.

      “Mom takes dad shopping.” Sehun grins at Luhan at the school gate. Sehun goes to different high school but he often picks Luhan home. It’s actually a fail cover to come to Luhan’s house.

      “Don’t you have somewhere else to go than my house? Maya is only twelve, dude. her later when she’s eighteen or nineteen. Or when Junsu approves.”

      “That dad of yours.” Sehun scrunches his nose. “How can he be scarier than your father, eh? Even my dad never talks back to uncle Junsu.”

      “He’s not scary at all!” Luhan starts his bike. “You are just too chicken.”

      “Scary, you know. I overheard Uncle Yoochun and uncle Yunho talking about your dad murdering someone when he was-

      “If you still wanna be my friend, don’t talk rubbish about my parents!”

Sehun is startled at the quick hot harsh retort he gets from Luhan.

      “Easy, dude. I just…

      “You could talk dirt about me but not about anyone in my family. Especially my parents! Got it?”

Sehun mumbles an incoherent apology. Luhan rides his bike faster. Yes. He knows about Junsu’s past. Junsu told him himself about the incident and Changmin begged him not to ever ask anything about it anymore. If either Luhan or Maya has questions, please ask Changmin. Luhan might be well friendly with Ds but he’s got brain and heart to recognize the bitter truth than Junsu didn’t kill his twin. It’s the guilt of losing a twin that leads Junsu to think that he killed his twin. Maya, despite her younger age than Luhan, embraced Junsu tight and rubbed Junsu’s back saying “it’s okay, papa. Maya knows papa is a very good papa for Maya.” Tsk, that girl. No wonder she’s so spoiled.

Like Maya, Luhan is an unwanted and abandoned child. He’s been through from foster home to foster home and ended up none wanted to house him anymore due to his wild fighting and destructive habit. The social department gave up and locked him in local unoccupied jail after one bad fight. There, he met respected senior officer Yoochun who was visited by Yunho and then Junsu. He was released the next day and taken to Junsu’s house. Maya was already there. The social department didn’t approve of Junsu’s offer taking care of Luhan what with his past (Junho, the Wang’s report) but reluctantly agreed after Yunho convinced them. As for Maya. Poor girl. She witnessed the of his mother which led to suicide. The late mother was single mother, worked as a helper in one chicken soup stall in the market. She was emotionally devastated when Changmin and Junsu met her and decided to house her till Yunho could find a better shelter with available helping psychiatrist. They didn’t plan to keep Maya longer than a month but it turned out that no house was willing to take care of her so they asked Maya (much better after a month living with Changmin and Junsu) and the girl clinging to Junsu like glue. Donghae sent them to his psychiatrist friend and Maya got the needed counseling.

Luhan got herself a home. A supportive and caring family (Granny Cecil sneakily gives him extra allowance) and better days where he is accepted and loved as he is. Everyone in the house bows down to Junsu’s smile. They know not to ever hurt the man who sometimes has nosebleed when he’s too tired (Changmin shouted at the kids once, too panic and worried to think about manner. He apologized to the kids later) and not to make Changmin angry when Junsu is not around. Don’t confront Changmin. He’s always right. Don’t make Maya cry, Junsu will glare at you and trust Luhan, Junsu is indeed scarier than Changmin when he does so. The only survival of the cold glare is his father, Changmin the mighty. Last but not least, don’t make Junsu sad. You’ll not want to see the eyes of sad Junsu without feeling like the biggest guilty moron in the world. What really warms Luhan’s heart is he knows Junsu also glares at anyone badmouthing him. Exclude his father because hey.. Changmin is always right.

      “Dad, I’m home.” Luhan announces. “Maya’s groom is here too as usual.”

Changmin meets him in the living room.

      “How could you always say dad, I’m home when you know I’m also at home, eh?”

      “I thought you are busy doing your design.” Luhan grins. Sehun is behind him, greeting Changmin. He goes on to the kitchen, too accustomed with the rhythm of this family to care about the banter.

      “How’s school?” Changmin pats Luhan’s arm. “Did anything fun today?”

      “You use dad’s line.” Luhan snickers. He has heard about the black and blue history from Sehun’s dad. No wonder his father loves his dad that much.

      “You brat!” Changmin whacks Luhan’s back head.

      “Ouch! Father!”

      “Min!”

      “He started it.” Changmin pouts.

Has anyone told you Changmin acts like high schooler around Junsu? Yes? Well, be it seven, seventeen or seventy years of their marriage, some things don’t change.

 

xoxo.

chili.