Rainbow.

Black and Blue

 

oh my chocho. It's 19 chaps already? And it's not even half of what i plotted? what to do? what to do? *pacing* this fic will be the longer than SB. I'm sorry. I'll try to cut it short. um.. if this fic hasnt finished by 25th chp, then 27th is the most. I do apologize for that.

 

Junsu peeks at changmin’s long list. He winces reading the scribbled hand writing. What the hell? Hair cut, buying new shirt, eating ribs steak, new coat, hospital check up, new bed? Bed is expensive, you robber. Mattres, blanket, fruit, huh what is that, going to the movie? Is this kid trying to clean up Junsu’s saving or what? All are things Changmin wants Junsu to do and buy? The ribs steak is fine. They should celebrate after long tiring week of exams anyway. But mattress? Junsu tsks. He’s fine sleeping on the floor using two folded blanket as the mattress. He has to do something fast soon to stop the list from growing longer.

      “Junsu..?”

Junsu hastily closes Changmin’s book and returns it into the school bag.

      “Here.” He answers. “I’m tidying up bathroom.” He lies.

      “Did you see my bag? Oh..there it is.” Changmin lifts his bag from the floor. “I left it in front of bathroom? The exams must have got into me.”

Junsu does his best to look uncaring about the bag.

      “Jinwoon asked me to go out with friends after last day exam tomorrow. Can I go?”

      “Sure. Jonghyun too?”

      “Yes. Half of our classmates will go with us.”

      “Alright.”

      “You don’t ask me where I’ll go?”

      “Where?” Junsu grins.

      “Karaoke bar. We’ll sing our head off till the place explodes.” Changmin sticks out his tongue. “There’ll be y girls too. Jonghyun has booked one of the big room plus the girls to song with us there.”

      “Okay.” Junsu sharpens his eyes.

      “We’ll sing till midnight!”

Junsu says nothing.

      “And maybe get drunk. I never get drunk before. my father.. anyway, I won’t be home for dinner tomorrow.”

Junsu leaves the bathroom quietly. He walks to kitchen followed closely by excited Changmin.

      “Jinwoon talks to me about his plan getting laid with one of the girls or guys in the party.”

That makes Junsu spins his figure sharp and glares at the taller Changmin straight in the eye.

      “You want to get laid too?”

      “I duno.” Changmin shrugs. “What do you think?”

      “As your assigned guardian, expired or not, I advise you not to do it.”

      “Won’t do it.” Changmin grins. “Can I hug you? Tomorrow is the last day for exam. I need some spirit recharge.” He puts on his best persuading look.

      “Hug your bag!” Junsu goes off to his room and slams the door. Changmin is startled but he makes victory dance afterward. Junsu is jealous. Junsu is jealous. Jonghyun’s trick works. He dances noisily from kitchen to his bedroom.

 

      “I’m going.” Changmin shoulders his bag. “Shim Changmin! beat those exams and claim your Junsu!”

Junsu stays still in the kitchen, washing their dishes.

      “Junsu. I’m going!” Changmin announces. Junsu ignores the cheery voice. He is still mad at Changmin. “You don’t hug me?” Changmin has appeared in the kitchen, pouting. “This is my last exam day and it is usually the longest one.”

      “Hurry go. You’ll be late.” Junsu coldly replies, busy with foam and plates.

Changmin giggles. He slides his bag low on his arm and holds it while he leans closer to Junsu, stealing a peck on Junsu’s cheek.

      “Hey!” Junsu nearly pushes Changmin away with his foamed hand, tainting the student’s uniform. Changmin has fled and run out of the flat before Junsu can ruin his uniform. His laugh is heard faintly. Junsu grunts but he smiles later. That tall min really knows how to get what he wants.

 

The senior year students all cheer in screaming joy and relief as the last bell rings. They leave the classes in happy riot, pushing and pulling friends. The teachers and proctors let them. It’s their last exam day. They deserve some break after months of studying pressure.

      “Joining us or running to your Junsu?” Jonghyun asks amidst the high and dry crowd noise.

      “He still sulks.” Changmin chuckles. “He didn’t look at me for the rest of the night and this morning. How did you have such effective trick?”

      “You need to date a lot, poor boy.” Jonghyun shakes his head in disappointment, patting changmin’s shoulder. “In this slow rate, someone else will lure and trap Junsu before you could go to the third base.”

      “Third base?” Changmin frowns. “Like.. Seriously? You kidding, right?”

      “Boy. Don’t tell me you just want some short hug all along your relationship with Jun- hmpf”

      “Lower your voice. I’m not officially graduated yet.” Changmin warns Jonghyun. The student which Changmin’s hand slapped on his mouth nods in agreement.

      “Ppuuaahhhh.. your hand smells.” Jonghyun makes a fake vomit. “back to the major case, hugging is enough for both of you?”

Changmin is deeply thankful the noise surrounding them enables them to talk about his problem with Jonghyun freely.

      “He still goes stiff whenever I hug him longer than one minute.” Changmin sighs. “However can we reach third base?”

      “Loosen up, relax, create the mood. Drink helps.”

      “He can’t drink, Jonghyun. He has sheer cuts in his gastric. He can’t bear alcohol.”

      “Well.” Jonghyun scratches his hair. “Ask him.”

      “What?”

      “Dude. You are nineteen. Older than most of us here. I have done some girls and guys and look at you, haha. Hugging is all you can do though I must admit the way you hugged him in school festival deserved to get some award.”

 

 

      “Junsuuu..”

The mentioned man is smiling. He is having his day off the store and has no class to go. His assignments are done and he is in the midst of writing in his room. Changmin still holds the rule not entering Junsu’s room without getting permission. He used to knock or call from the door but recently the tall young man just calls Junsu in sing song voice and head popping in the door if it’s not closed. Junsu doesn’t close his door anymore unless he’s sleeping. He wants to see Changmin too.

      “Can I step in?” Changmin’s pouted lips do their job well.

      “I’m writing.” Junsu hides his smile.

      “I won’t disturb you.” Changmin puffs his cheeks. “I just need to hear your opinion.”

      “Come in.”

Changmin storms inside in a flash. He plops himself close to Junsu, lying on his stomach and eyeing Junsu innocently.

      “The announcement of graduation is on next Thursday. Can I take some part time job?”

      “Part time? Again?”

      “Just till announcement day.”

      “What kind of business would employ someone for nine days only?” Junsu tilts his head.

      “Jonghyun’s uncle.” Changmin grins. “He opens a DVD rental near the city rush circle and there’s a dra-

      “Is it adult DVD rental?” junsu tries to keep his expression composed.

      “No.” Changmin shakes his head. “Jonghyun said there are various section arranged in the rental store. I told him you wouldn’t allow me helping his uncle if he posts me in the adult section.”

Junsu puts doen his pen and closes the book he’s writing on.

      “And there’s a painting course too three stores from the rental. I wanna have a look.” Changmin quickly adds.

Junsu pushes the mini writing table from him and shifts his sitting position to face Changmin. The tall soon to graduate student sits up from his lying post and meets Junsu’s eyes.

      “Why don’t you go to the painting course instead of helping Jonghyun’s uncle?”

      “It’s two years course and I’m not officially graduated yet. Besides, Jonghyun said it’s really expensive. The registration fee alone is equal to our flat rent’s yearly cost. I just wanna take a look, not enlisting there.” Changmin pouts again.

      “You won second place at annual regional art competition this year. I’m sure your school doesn’t mind to write a recommendation letter for you.”

      “I didn’t say I want to study there.” Changmin’s heart sinks. “Why do you always jump into conclusion?”

Junsu raises one of his eyebrows.

      “Do I always jump into my own conclusion?”

      “Can I help Jonghyun’s uncle or not?” Changmin’s lips curl. He shouldn’t have mentioned the painting course. It’s darn expensive and elite. It’s one of the best art courses in Greyfair and specialized in painting and sculpture.

      “Why don’t we go there today?” Junsu smiles. “We need to shop too. We run out of noodles.”

      “Huh? Today?” Changmin widens his eyes. Today? Like.. Now?

      “Do you have any other plan, hero?”

      “No. But you..

      “Let’s go then. It’s been a while since we take a walk around together.”

The sound of taking a walk together sends Changmin jumps up and beams. He runs out of junsu’s room, washing his face, grabbing his old worn out jacket and reappears in front of Junsu in three minutes.

      “Your bag?” Junsu asks.

      “Bag? Why would I bring it?”

      “You can sketch while we sit in the park before we go home.”

The sparks in Changmin’s eyes are so blindingly bright. He runs faster to his room getting his bag. They lock the flat and climb down the stairs. Changmin is so happy he grins at everything. A walk with Junsu, a date! Superb!

Junsu agrees to let Changmin help Jonghyun’s uncle after they visit the rental. It’s a medium width rental store sited in the heart of city circle down town. People pass the store all the time since the circle is one of the busiest Grey Fair’s spots. It’s accessible for pedestrian and not far from city bus shelter. He talks with the owner shortly, impressing the uncle. Changmin will be positioned at the action and comedy section. The adult one is placed in the back space, well hidden from public and children’s eyes. Only visitors with legal self ID are allowed to come to the section. No wonder Jonghyun has collection. His uncle is the supplier. They cross the street and walk one block to reach the mentioned painting course.

      “Andromeda art course.” Junsu reads the building’s name. “You have great taste, hero. Come on.”

Changmin holds Junsu’s hand. He’s not sure about going in. People entering and leaving the twin big glass door of the building are all wearing dressy outfit.

      “You said you wanna have a look.” Junsu gives Changmin a look.

      “Err.. Maybe next time.” Changmin bites his lips.

      “Why? You are as good as everyone else.”

Changmin shakes his head, pleading not to be pulled inside. Junsu tightens their holding hands and drags the taller Changmin walking through the entrance twin glass doors that open and close automatically. Changmin kicks a failed protest. He is pulled by hand getting to the receptionist. Junsu greets the slim attractive women politely and asks some questions about new students. Changmin lowers his head during the nice cheerful conversation. The two receptionists are friendly and helpful. They explain about the registration requirements and offer a short tour which Junsu quickly accepts.

      “This tall handsome man here.” Junsu glances at the lowered head Changmin. “Loves drawing a lot. He sketches really well. He won second place in annual regional high school art competition this year.” He smiles proudly. “He’s interested with your great art course but he’s in doubt about it.”

      “Oh. Why?” One of the women asks.

      “It’s far from our flat and he’s not officially graduated yet. The announcement is still on next week.”

      “I see.”

      “He has some other options too.”

Changmin just stares at his shoes. The shoes Junsu bought for him.

      “Ah.. Don’t be discourage please. We are happy to welcome talented young men like your friend.” The other woman smiles. “We have introductory short week for interested candidates. It’s only a hundred thousand for a week and you could get better insight of our art course.”

      “Sounds great. But it’s still too far.” Junsu squeezes Changmin’s hand in his hold. “If the introductory week starts in the morning, we wouldn’t be able to make it.”

      “There’s afternoon session too, sir. It’s not formal course. Just introductory and we welcome only ten possible candidates in every session.”

      “Oh really? Has the afternoon session packed?”

      “Fortunately there are three seats left if you are interested.”

Junsu pulls Changmin closer.

      “What do you think, hero?”

      “I-I don’t know.”

A hundred thousand can buy lots of ramen, bread, butter, salt, books…

      “Would you mind saving one seat?” Junsu bargains. “We need to discuss about the return trip and all.”

      “Sure. We would save one seat.” The woman nods. These two young men are polite and good looking. Saving one seat would do no harm. She glances at her friend who gives approval nod. “Please fill this form and sign here.”

      “Me or ..

      “Your friend.” The woman smiles kindly.

Junsu wants to release their holding hands but Changmin doesn’t let go. It’s such a good coincidence that Junsu is holding Changmin’s left hand so the tall student can write using his right hand.

      “We’ll take you to a short tour in ten minutes. Please have a seat.” The other woman points at one long sofa provided at the left far side from the receptionist table.

      “Thank you.” Junsu pays a slight bow. They go to the pointed long fluff sofa and sit.

      “We don’t have one hundred thousand.” Changmin nudges Junsu.

      “I don’t but you do.”

      “Me?” Changmin stares. “How? The money I have left is just seventy five something.”

      “You paid two hundred thousand to manager Jae. He returned it to me. I have it with me for unexpected situation. This is one of it so it’s covered.”

Changmin gapes.

      “You have two hundred thousand and claimed you had no money to go to hospital?”

      “I’m not sick.” Junsu smacks Changmin’s arm. “Last time you dragged me to hospital, Hyukjae’s mother paid the bill. She never accepts anything from me. She refuses any of my small gifts.”

      “I wanted to pay but Hyukjae had paid first.” Changmin complains.

      “Why do you always bring hospital everytime we talk about money, huh?” Junsu glares. “This two hundred thousand is your money, not mine.”

      “Because you are such rockheaded Junsu!” Changmin glares back. “Doctor clearly suggested you to have a thorough check to find all possible cuts in your colon but-

      “They are coming.” Junsu cuts Changmin’s sentence. “You take the introductory week. Period.”

Changmin sulks. Why does Junsu have to win over everything?

Junsu sighs. He doesn’t want to see any hospital door in the world. He hates everything about hospital and he knows how much it cost to have a thorough examination. Hyukjae’s mother is one loyal member of one private medical foundation. She used her links and account by the name of the medical foundation to pay for Junsu’s last hospital bill. He has sworn it’s the last time he owes to that generous lady of his best friend.

The tour is wonderful. Changmin’s sour face gradually turns bright as the tour guide (an efficient Japanese man) leads them to every exhibited corner and explains about the exposed paintings and sculptures. They leave the course building in better mood. It’s already three in the afternoon.

      “Lunch?” junsu offers.

      “We don’t have money for such luxury.” Changmin replies in sarcasm. He still can’t forgive his lost.

      “Alright then. No lunch.” Junsu smiles.

      “Mmpf! Bad Junsu!”

      “Change your mind about me now?” Junsu teases.

      “Why are you so annoying?” Changmin reaches junsu’s hand and pulls the man to a corndog street vendor. They buy several rolls and three tall glasses of iced orange drinks. Junsu takes Changmin to the circle park. Not a real park where you can see flowers or lots of green trees with wide field and children laugh riding their bikes. It’s a man made water fountain placed in one wide space with plantations in big pots encircling the fountain. Water bursts beautifully orchestrated by perfect timing. There are three trees planted in one line to give the feel of something green and earthy. Cemented benches built in knee high, lining around the man made park. Junsu chooses the bench nearest to the tree. They sit there and have lunch.

      “Wanna sketch here?”

      “Later.” Changmin bites his corndog. He makes sure Junsu eats more than him.

      “It’s pretty isn’t it?” Junsu’s eyes appreciate the water fountain.

You are far more beautiful, Changmin smiles. Junsu might wear shabby long old coat and a pair of old color fade old shoes but he still looks beautiful.

      “I always come here when I have free time in my first year coming to Grey fair.” The thin beautiful man blinks. “This place reminds me of gran and pop. They used to take me to amusement park and have lunch together once a month. They said all work and assignments deserved one good day to cherish and celebrate.”

Is that why Junsu takes him here? Changmin’s heart beats faster. Junsu shares his personal precious moments with him.

      “You’ve studied hard, hero. I’m sorry I couldn’t take you to better place.”

      “This is the best place.” Changmin really wants to hug Junsu right now. “Second best place after our flat.” Changmin squeezes Junsu’s hand. He can’t hug Junsu in public however much he wants to, however strong the demand and urge inside him scream. He can’t risk someone from social department finds them hugging when Graduation day is just two weeks away. He could make it up later.

He sketches Junsu that afternoon. All five pages of them. The rough sketching try to picture how beautiful and free Junsu looks. Junsu  plays with some kids with water from the fountain. Junsu laughs happily, competing with the noise the kids make. Changmin can’t help feeling so warm hearing the free happy laughter. How the kids complain because Junsu splashes them with water and making them wet but Junsu always dodges the water shot to him smartly. This is Junsu he hasn’t seen. Playful, happy, cheerful, reddish from the sun and breathtakingly beautiful.

They go home by bus. Changmin rests his head on Junsu’s shoulder while his fingers lock Junsu’s in warm strong grip. Junsu glares at him but doesn’t pull out from Changmin’s locking fingers. They sit close, arms pressed and they can hear their own heartbeat singing in warmth despite the crowd passengers buzzing, shouting or simply worsening other passenger’s hard time going home from work. The traffic is heavy yet none of the two men complains. The city bus is cramped and hot. The road is filled with long crawling vehicles but they are happy and contended. Changmin doesn’t mind the weather or the cramped noisy passengers. He sits close to the man he loves and it’s all what matters. He smiles sneakily and plays with Junsu’s fingers. He tries to draw I love you with his locking finger on their holding hands and feels Junsu’s soft squeeze five minutes after. Junsu turns his head a bit, not wanting to move Changmin’s resting head on his shoulder.

      “Junsu loves you too.” He whispers low.

Changmin closes his eyes. Too happy. Too fulfilled. Too thankful.

Life is not easy. Never is. But Junsu always makes Changmin’s life more colorful than rainbow after the rain.

 

 

      “I don’t know why I feel bad conveying this to Changmin.” Yunho doesn’t look good. “His father is coming in these two or three weeks. I must tell him soon about it but everytime I pass their flat I just drives on and ask myself why.”

      “Isn’t it a good thing Changmin’s father comes visiting his son?” Yoochun pats the social officer’s shoulder lightly. “You will have one case down and Changmin will have his family back.”

      “Rae Im scolds me for not informing Changmin yet. I use his exams as an excuse. I told Rae Im it’s better to wait till Changmin finishes his exams before he hears the shocking news.”

      “Hasn’t it finished last week? I met Changmin in the city. He was heading to Andromeda art course. He said he had an introductory week there. That kid never ceases surprising me.”

      “That’s why.” Yunho lands his head on the table, defeated. “Changmin also met me yesterday. He was so happy. He gave me one of his sketches as a token of gratitude.”

      “He gave you a sketch?”

      “Yes. It’s good. Just pencil and paper but good. He gave me a sketch of your picture.”

That brat! Yoochun grits his teeth. How dare you give something to my Yunho while I hardly success giving him gifts without obvious good excuse like birthday.

      “Just tell him. It’s a good news. He’ll be happy hearing about his father arrival.”

      “How about Junsu?” Yunho eyes the detective.

      “He’ll be happy too. Why would Junsu be upset?”

Truth is, deep down inside, Yoochun feels the same unpleasant feeling. If Mr. Shim is against changmin’s choice of loving Junsu, that would be disaster for the couple. Knowing Junsu, he’d probably hand Changmin to his father and just smiles. But Changmin.. He would explode and screw people’s peaceful life.

 

      “Will you come on my graduation day?” Changmin asks at dinner. The result has been officially announced and Changmin is in top ten biggest scorer of the year. Jonghyun kicked him hard for that. How could Changmin reach the tenth biggest scorer position when he fought a lot and skipped school most of the time in the first semester of their senior year? Jonghyun couldn’t accept that fact. He’s Changmin’s deskmate and he copied all Changmin’s homework yet he’s just graduated with average passing score. So not fair.

      “This Friday?”

Changmin nods. His hopeful eyes are rounded big.

      “I can take a day off from store but I have morning class till .. maybe eleven or twelve.”

      “Can’t you move your class to other day?” Changmin pleads, really hopes Junsu will come.

      “I don’t think I can.” Junsu smiles apologetically. “It’s my last year too, hero. Things are not as easy as freshman’s year.”

      “But you’ll come?” Changmin looks sad.

      “I’ll go to your school as soon as my classes end.”

      “I won’t go home if you don’t come.” Changmin sulks. “I’ll throw the certificate to the street.”

      “Am I talking to kindergartener?”

      “You must come. End of story!”

Junsu laughs. Their udon is getting cold because Changmin keeps stirring his bowl rather than chewing his udon.

      “I will not miss seeing you in graduation robe, min.”

      “And my second wish is the day after. No work! No classes! You must do everything I ask!” Changmin clinks his spoon to his bowl angrily.

Junsu cringes remembering all the things Changmin wrote on his note.

      “I’d do your order but not going to hospital. The rest are fine.”

      “No bargaining! It’s my second wish. You failed my first one.” Changmin roars.

      “Remind me again that I’m not talking to a third grader.” Junsu laughs more. “Don’t you have prom party or something?”

      “That’s my business! All you have to do is doing whatever I say!”

      “Except the hospital!

      “No bargaining, mister!” Changmin points Junsu with his spoon. “It’s my Junsu day.”

      “I’ll change my name tomorrow.”

      “JUNSU!”

Junsu runs to the living room. He laughs out loud at Changmin’s irritated face. He knows Changmin will catch him soon with those fast long legs but he still teases the tall guy nevertheless.

 

 

      “Yunho!” Changmin runs to the tall smiling social officer in formal suit. Yunho comes attending Changmin’s graduation day as one of his last responsibilities over the tall kid and as the representative of social department. Changmin hops and jumps hugging the unprepared Yunho who is shocked at the sudden hug attack.

      “Thank yoouuu.” Changmin hugs Yunho and moves their bodies right and left.

Yunho gulps. A pair of eyes is watching them intently.

      “Err.. You are welcome, Min. No need to hug me this tight. I’m –cough- happy for your graduation.”

      “Thank you for everything!” Changmin still hugs Yunho. People walking past them start turning their head and smile.

      “Okay.” Yunho’s eyes beg for help from the glaring yoochun.

      “Thank you for coming too.”

      “Alright.” Yunho’s hand flails. Changmin pulls out from the hug and grins wide.

      “Um.. I would like to talk to you about your fa-

Changmin has run and jumped hugging yoochun. The detective is also caught off guard. Yunho’s eyes round wide when he sees where Changmin goes and who Changmin hugs. He is the one glaring now.

      “Watch out, kid.” Yoochun snarls as he is hugged strongly. “I could throw you off on the ground if you don’t let me go in five seconds.”

      “Aw, c’mon. it’s my graduation day.” Changmin grins mischieviously. He knows about the unsaid hidden lines between these two men. Only a lover can recognize another lover.

      “One.” Yoochun breaths in difficulty. “Two, three, four …..

Changmin releases his hug, smirking and winking his eyes.

      “I don’t like hugging you at all.” Changmin says. “but my social advisor needs to see that.”

      “Your tongue, boy!” Yoochun realizes what is Changmin’s real motive when the tall boy in graduation robes walks ahead to hug someone else. Changmin hugs Junsu who’s just entered the school yard and reached the ceremonial site. He hugs Junsu wholeheartedly, saying how much he misses and loves this man his eyes have been looking for throughout the graduation ceremony. Junsu hugs him back, returning the warmth and comfort Changmin gives to him.

      “You are late. I almost throw my certificate to the street.”

      “I’m sorry, hero.”

Changmin smiles. He will hug junsu wherever he wants now. He’s graduated and none can tell him what not to do anymore.

      “That kid is really bad troll.” Yoochun scrunches his face. “He uses us as a cover to hug his man.”

      “You didn’t seem you mind it when he hugged you.” Yunho answers coldly.

Well, at least now Yunho knows how Yoochun feels when he sees Yunho is laughing happily close to someone else.

 

thank you for reading. chili wub you.