Chapter 24

Tomorrow May Or May Never Come

None of them uttered a word to each other for the rest of the day. They were lost in their own worlds as the night reached without them even realising. Kyuhyun was lying on the sofa in the hospital room for the whole day facing the wall with his back to Sungmin who was on the bed.

Sungmin lied on his back staring blankly at the ceiling, trying to accept the new turn out of the events. He desperately wanted the younger in his arms and to feel him but the latter has wrapped himself in a blanket and was completely avoiding even looking at him. This was apparently to mask the silent waves of sobs that shook the latter’s body. But the muffled sniffles failed to hide the fact that he was shattered from the news.

As hours passed without both of them not speaking, Sungmin observed that the younger has calmed down and no longer crying to himself. Just when he thought Kyuhyun has fallen asleep the younger slowly got up from the sofa and walked towards Sungmin’s bed.

Kyuhyun nudged Sungmin slightly to make some space for himself on the hospital bed. The whole day has taken a toll on both of them. All they wanted was to feel each other. To feel that they still have each other despite whatever happens in the future. Kyuhyun climbed on to the bed and lied close to Sungmin, almost snuggling into the elder. They lied there without a word to each other, buried in their own thoughts with Sungmin absentmindedly playing with the younger’s fingers that lay across his chest.

After a while Kyuhyun turned to look at Sungmin’s face. A peaceful smile was grazing the lips. It was a look that of a person who was finally at peace with the fate.

Sungmin also turned, facing the younger as he felt the curious gaze on him. The younger's innocent large eyes were looking into his own curiously, asking for what he was thinking. He knew the news they heard devastated both of them. But in a small part of his mind it felt as if this was his fate all along. Was his love not enough for their love to survive? What has both of them done to deserve this? May be he was not good enough for Kyuhyun? All he knew was that the fate has played a cruel joke on both of them. Fate gave them something so precious just to tear it away from their grip.

Sungmin broke from his painful bundle of thoughts as he felt the younger slowly tug at his entangled fingers.

“Hey…Ming” Kyuhyun said softly. “What are you thinking?”

“Ugh….umm…nothing.” Sungmin replied with a small smile looking at the other’s beautiful face. Does he hate him for dragging him into this despair? Does he regret ever loving him?

He looked into the younger’s dark eyes which looked back at him with so much concern. No, Kyuhyun never hated him. All he could see in those chocolate eyes were unending love and the pain of losing his love.

Remembering how the younger persistently wanted him, Sungmin felt his heart soar with the love he felt. He stared into Kyuhyun's eyes, locking their gazes. It felt as if they could feel each other wholly. He moved forward to place a small kiss on the younger’s lips to show that he felt the love of Kyuhyun with his whole being. A kiss that said how much he love Kyuhyun. A kiss that expressed everything that can’t express with words.

Sungmin finally broke the kiss with a satisfied smile.

"I love you." He said against the other's lips, reluctant to completely break away.

This was when Sungmin realised something. He realised how much he himself love the man in his arms. And that the said man would be in pain when he leaves the world. And another thing he realised is that he could never die peacefully if he leave Kyuhyun to suffer his whole life. He would never forgive himself if he will be the reason of the younger’s tears. And there was only one way to make him smile. The younger needed someone to lean on, to help him through. Someone who loves him.

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Sungmin spoke carefully, still looking into the younger’s eyes.

Kyuhyun unconsciously tightened his grip on Sungmin’s fingers. Judging by the tone he figured whatever the elder was planning to say was not something he would like to hear.

"Hmm?" He acknowledged.

“Kyu, will you promise me something?" Elder's voice was small but no hesitation was there. "Will you give a chance to Ryeowook?”

Kyuhyun finally broke the eye contact feeling both frustrated and angry. What does he have to do to make the other understand that the person he loves him and not any other.

"Why are you still saying that? Aren't I here?" He said trying not to sound snappy. “I love you for god’s sake. I love you.” Said Kyuhyun as a disobedient tear escaped his eye.

“I know. I love you too. More than you can ever imagine Kyuhyun-ah. I love you so much, it hurts.” Replied Sungmin, reaching his hand to Kyuhyun’s face to cup his cheek and his thumb making soothing circles on the skin there.

“But Ryeowook loves you too. Tomorrow may not come for me. But it will for you. You deserve something better than the love of a dying heart. And he deserve something better. You already care for him. You can learn to love him.”

“But hyung-”

“Please, Kyuhyun-ah. Do this for yourself. Do this for me. I want you to be happy. But I don’t have the ability to do it for you. This is all I can do.” Sungmin begged, wiping a stray tear from the younger’s cheek. “Will you promise me?”

Kyuhyun nodded weakly as he tried to hold back his tears. He buried his face in the crook of Sungmin’s neck, hugging him tightly as if his life depended on him. Sungmin responded with the same ache as he took the younger in his arms securely.

 

**

 

Another week passed by with Sungmin bed ridden at the hospital and Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s mother taking care of him. Sungmin was getting weaker as the days passed by. When he moved too much his frail heart couldn’t deal with the excessive oxygen use leaving him panting for air. The lack of proper oxygen supply to the organs has caused his organs to be weak and malfunction in turn resulting Sungmin to be in pain sometimes.

Friends visited him with their sympathies and pity for him. One of the worst days was when Hyukjae visited him and cried for him. They both were going to lose each other and their friendship of the years.

Ryeowook has made it a habit to regularly visit the hospital bringing food to both Sungmin and Kyuhyun who refused to leave the elder’s side. That day too, Ryeowook was welcomed to the sight of Kyuhyun pealing and cutting up apples as Sungmin leaned on a stack of pillows to straighten himself.

“Hey guys,” Ryeowook greeted the duo as he set the dinner he brought on the small table in the room. “How are you feeling hyung?”

“I’m okay Wooki.” Sungmin responded with a small smile.

He paused for a moment before addressing his boyfriend. “Kyuhyun-ah, can you please go to the canteen and get me a hot chocolate?”

Kyuhyun nodded despite seeing through Sungmin’s weak attempt to send him away. He got up from his seat near Sungmin’s bed and went off to the cafeteria.

Ryeowook watched as Kyuhyun walked off and turned to Sungmin with a questioning look on his face.

“Hey Wooki, can I speak with you?”

“Of course hyung.” Ryeowook sat beside Sungmin’s bed looked at the elder curiously.

“I-I don’t know how to say this.” Sungmin fidgeted with his fingers and finally heaved a sigh, deciding to get it over with. “I want you take care of Kyuhyun.”

“What?” Ryeowook stared at the elder, trying to understand what he meant.

“I want you to take care of him for me. I want you to be there for him when he needs a shoulder. I want you to be there for him when he need someone to laugh with. I want you to love him.” Sungmin said in a one breath. “Please, do this as a dying man’s wish.”

Smaller man stared at Sungmin’s once cheerful face which now has paled with sunken eyes. Those eyes were pleading desperately for the sake of his lover.

“I won’t do it for you.” Sungmin’s gaze fell in despair as Ryeowook replied monotonously. But then the younger moved forward to take Sungmin’s frail hand in his own. “I will take care of him. I will be there for him. But not for you. I will do it because I loved him. Because I still love him.”

“That is a much better reason.” Sungmin nodded with a bittersweet smile on his lips. “But this is only a onetime thing. Next time I won’t go easy on you. Next time Kyuhyun will be mine.” He chuckled lightly, squeezing the younger’s hand in gratitude.

“I know hyung.” Ryeowook smiled at the elder and stood up from his seat as Kyuhyun entered the room with the steaming chocolate drink.

“Well, it’s getting late guys. I have to go. I’ll be back tomorrow.” Ryeowook gathered his jacket and moved towards the door.

“Oh, didn’t realise it was late. Okay then Wooki, see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, take care, both of you.” The smaller replied and walked out the door.

“Hyung, let’s eat.” Kyuhyun said cheerily as the door clicked close.

“Kyuhyun-ah, let’s eat later. Come lie down with me for a while.” Sungmin said patting the space beside him.

Kyuhyun sent a curious glance at the elder but did as he was asked all the same.

“I just wanted to hug you.” Sungmin chuckled at the adorable expression on the younger’s face. As soon as Kyuhyun lied beside the elder Sungmin wounded his arms around the younger and pulled him closer towards himself.

Kyuhyun adjusted himself comfortably in the elder’s embrace and sighed contentedly at the warmth emanating from his lover. One of Sungmin’s arms were draped around his waist while the other hand was playing with his hair. It was a peaceful evening.

They stayed huddled together, oblivious to the world around them except to each other.

Sungmin ran his eyes all over the younger’s face memorizing every contour, every blemish, every part of the younger’s beautiful face. The large dark eyes, his nose, his plump lips…The elder kissed and on the smooth pink flesh. He pulled back to see Kyuhyun’s dark eyes looking back at him and a lips decorated with a loving smile. Sungmin pushed some stray strands of hair from the younger’s eyes and murmured a small ‘I love you’ as he pulled the younger unbearably close to himself not even letting air between them.

Kyuhyun smiled contentedly against the elder’s neck as he nuzzled his face in the crook of Sungmin’s neck. Both of them fell asleep in each other’s embraces.   

**

Kyuhyun woke up the next morning with a start as he woke up from a nightmare where Sungmin left his crying self in a deserted island. He sighed in relief as he saw the elder was lying closely beside him. He supported his upper body with his elbow and leaned into place a chaste kiss on the other’s lips and wound his hand on the elder’s waist to move him closer.

A wave of dread washed through him as his lips met with ice cold lips of Sungmin. His breath hitched in utmost grief as he ran his shaking fingers along the elder’s arm. It wasn’t a nightmare. Sungmin truly has left him stranded and lost.

“No, no, no…please.” Kyuhyun muttered in a small voice, tears streaming down his cheeks and falling on to Sungmin’s peaceful face. He shook the elder’s lifeless body in a fruitless attempt, uncontrollable sobs shaking his own form.

Later he vaguely remembered pushing the emergency button before losing his conscious and falling on to his lover’s body.

 


 

A/N:

omg guys so sorry for taking this long...too much uni work...etc

anyways this is the last chapter of the story, and let me tell you it was very exhausting to write this chapter...

I'm a person who is good with emotions so if this chapter is a fail I'm really really sorry // but please tell me what you guys think

(may be an upvote if the stroy kept you intersted?)....oh and since I hit 100 unique subs I'm gonna add the epilogue for this later today^^