Chapter 13

Tomorrow May Or May Never Come

It was an evening after two weeks from his drunken night. That evening Kyuhyun stepped out of the university after finishing his final exam for the semester. He let out sigh in relief as his exams were finally over and that he can check out the new game that came out that week. And most importantly he couldn’t meet up with Sungmin as much as he wanted as he took a break from singing at the club to study for the exams. And the elder has kindly agreed to cover for his shifts.

Thinking what the elder might be doing he fished his phone out of his pocket and turned it on call him. But instead, several alert tones greeted him the moment screen came to life. There were twenty missed calls and eight messages from the same person, Donghae. Kyuhyun decided to call Donghae, wondering what happened to his friend.

“Kyuhyun, why can’t you pick up the damn phone?”

Donghae’s voice burst through the speakers even before Kyuhyun could say ‘hello’.

“I had my exams. I already told you guys.” Replied Kyuhyun equally annoyed at the loud voice.

“Ah, seriously I forgot.” Donghae’s voiced toned down before he continued. “Listen can you meet me at the club tonight?”

“But it’s not a singing night.”

“I know. Ryeowook is also coming. I have something to tell you guys.”

“Okay, alright then.”

“Great! See you at seven then.” With that Donghae hanged up the phone.

After the weird conversation with Donghae, Kyuhyun headed to the restaurant to help out his mother and secretly hoping to find Sungmin there.

 


 

To Kyuhyun’s disappointment Sungmin wasn’t at the restaurant. Kyuhyun finished his shift at the restaurant and headed to the Sapphire club to meet up with his friends as agreed.

All the others were already gathered at the bar when he went in. Kyuhyun’s broke into a smile as he located Sungmin sitting with others. The elder greeted Kyuhyun from his seat as he walked in the club. Kyuhyun gave a friendly wave from the doorway and came to sit beside Sungmin.

As it was still early for a lot of customers both the bartenders have also joined the discussion. Kangin leaned against the bar while Leeteuk poured everyone drinks.

“So what’s the occasion?”

With Kyuhyun’s question both Eunhyuk and Donghae got up from their seats.

“It’s us.” Eunhyuk announced with a shy smile and putting his arm around Donghae’s shoulder who was looking anywhere but his friends. Soon the almost empty bar filled with cat calls and cheers.

“At last!” Ryeowook shouted from his seat. “We were waiting for that.”

“We got to celebrate this. Any ideas guys?” Leeteuk asked looking around the gang.

“What do you say we go for a party night at the beach? I just wanna get out of this concrete forest.” Sungmin offered.

“Oh, that’s a good idea. Perfect time for me too since I finished my finals.” Kyuhyun agreed to the idea. “I really needed a break after all the studying.”

“Well, it’s settled then. Next weekend? It’s a public holiday coming and we can ask for a break from Siwon.”

Their screams lowered a bit after agreeing to meet on the coming weekend. Rest of the night went peacefully as they kept chatting sipping drinks.

The small crowd finally dispersed after few hours, bidding good nights to each other.

 


 

The guys met up on the weekend as promised with their rendezvous point being the club. Sungmin and Kangin has both brought their cars for the transportation. Leeteuk has climbed in Kangin’s car grabbing the beer and food. And Kyuhyun has gotten in through the passenger seat door of Sungmin’s car while Ryeowook, Donghae and Eunhyuk got in and settled themselves in the back seat.

“Let’s go!” Sungmin started the engine and followed Kangin’s car who was taking the lead.

The car ride to the beach was rather uneventful except for the childish quarrel broke out between the new couple and Ryeowook. Apparently Ryeowook has gotten thirsty and had searched for one of the juice bottles but Donghae has finished all the three bottles they had with them in the car even before quarter of the journey. And Eunhyuk was defending Donghae in the argument. The two at the front was obviously getting impatient by the minute and finally Kyuhyun cracked.

“Geez, will you three stop screaming back there? Ryeowook-ah, we’ll buy something on the way and Donghae, it is your fault for drinking it all and not leaving some for others.”

“Yeah, and Hyukjae-ah, stop adding fuel to the fire by defending Donghae.” Sungmin added.

Finally three quieted down even though few curses under the breath was audible. Rest of the journey was peaceful as the two at the front fell into a conversation on music and the three at the back has already made up and saying jokes to each other.

The gang had left the city midday timing their arrival at the beach around 6 in the evening. And as expected they arrived at destination around 5.30 and they parked the cars a bit away from the beach.

The occupants of the Sungmin’s car walked over to Kangin and Leeteuk to help them carry the necessary stuff for their guys’ night out. Sungmin and Kyuhyun carried the mini barbecue equipment while Kangin and Leeteuk carried the beer cases leaving the other three to carry the sausages and other small goods.

By seven o’clock everything was ready by the beach and few blankets were laid around the small fire to sit.

Ryeowook has taken the responsibility of grilling the sausages and meat while rest of the gang sat round the fire each holding a beer can.

“It feels really good to get away from all the city sounds and relax.” Sungmin said savouring the salty air that brushed his face.

“Yeah. And I feel awesome since my exams are also over now.” Kyuhyun added as he got up and walked over to Ryeowook to grab a plate of grilled meat.

Sungmin was sipping his beer, looking into the horizon where starry night sky met the dark waters. He could see in his peripheral vision that the rest of the group was sitting close to the fire, discussing the current music trends while Kyuhyun was still with Ryeowook preparing the snacks.

Kyuhyun was hanging around Ryeowook as the first batch of meat was still cooking on grill. Unbeknownst to them, Sungmin was watching the two friends as they waited for the meat to cook.

He decided to gaze a bit longer at the youngest hoping to God Kyuhyun won’t notice him staring like a stalker.

Ryeowook’s sudden hand on Kyuhyun’s own averted Sungmin’s stare from Kyuhyun to Ryeowook. By the looks of it, apparently Kyuhyun was going to touch the hot tongs without the mitts. Sungmin saw the deep concern in Ryeowook’s eye before Ryeowook composed himself and went back to normal. That wasn’t the first time Sungmin saw the adoration in Ryeowook for Kyuhyun that passed the limitations of friendship. Even though Sungmin ignored this before he decided to talk with Ryeowook as he became aware of his own feelings for the younger.

‘This can be the best solution for my problem.’ Sungmin thought to himself as he returned his gaze back to the horizon.

Few minutes later Kyuhyun brought a plate of grilled meat over to Sungmin and sat beside him, their shoulders brushing. Sungmin felt shivers ran through him that had nothing to do with the cold wind as Kyuhyun’s breath felt so near.

“Sungmin hyung, do you want some meat?”

“Thanks.” Muttered Sungmin accepting a piece of grilled meat. 

 


 

A/N:

Enjoy! I would totally appreciate your comments!