Chapter 21

Tomorrow May Or May Never Come

Two weeks later~

 

Kyuhyun walked out of the gates of his university that evening for the last time for that semester. He had two months of vacation before he start again and he knew perfectly well how he’s going to spend his two months of vacation. With Sungmin. That single thought brought a smile to his face.

He slung his bag over the shoulder and took light steps towards the bus stop. His thoughts wandered back two weeks while he sat waiting for the bus.

Both Sungmin and Kyuhyun were sitting in a café the morning after the day they decided to accept their feelings and accept each other unconditionally.

Kyuhyun looked at the man opposite him who was busy adding more sugar to his coffee muttering about coffee being too bitter. The pout that adorned the elder’s lips distracted Kyuhyun massively. Those lips reminded him what happened between them the day before.

The kiss. He had finally been able to feel those lips on his. Finally Sungmin was his and he was Sungmin’s.

“You do realise that you’re being creepy right now?”

Sungmin’s voice woke him up and judging by the raised eyebrows of Sungmin he probably was smiling like an idiot, a habit he seem to caught on since the day before, whenever he thought about Sungmin. Well, he had a pretty good reason to. Sungmin was his boyfriend, finally.

“Huh?” Kyuhyun replied innocently, hurriedly grabbing his own coffee.

“Kyuhyun-ah, I want to tell you something.” Sungmin called, his serious tone catching the younger’s attention. “Let’s go on a date!” He added grinning at the startled look on Kyuhyun’s face which broke into a Cheshire grin.

“Oh my God hyung, you scared me. I thought you were starting on your ‘forget me Kyuhyun’ speech.” And seeing how the elder’s face fell at the implication he quickly added, “Let’s go today!”

Sungmin observed the eager look on the younger’s face. “Alright. You’re paying for the breakfast by the way.” He said playfully, getting up from their table.

Kyuhyun quickly placed some notes on the table and dashed after Sungmin who left the café.

“So where are we going?” Kyuhyun asked falling into step beside the elder.

“We’re gonna go see a movie.”

After that both of them fell silent while they walk to the cinema few blocks away. Kyuhyun always thought going to watch a movie is the most clichéd thing couples do but now he know why every couple wants to do it. He couldn’t wait until he get to be covered in the darkness and to get lost in their own world with the elder.

Kyuhyun looked at his hand when he felt smooth fingers trying to intertwine with his own. He turned to the elder who was looking at him with a small smile curling his lips upwards, and grabbed Sungmin’s hand, fingers interlacing each other’s.

Kyuhyun was happy. He was content with everything. His own face broke into a smile as he felt elder’s thumb soothing circles on the back of his hand.

 

At the end of the movie Kyuhyun didn’t have a single clue what the movie was about. He was busy revelling in Sungmin’s presence beside him. And he was pretty sure the other was also doing the same thing judging by the side glances he received.

 

Kyuhyun was harshly woke up to the reality with a loud honk of a familiar car. Kyuhyun looked up to see the bright smile of Sungmin peaking from window.

“Earth to Kyuhyun!”

“Oh, hi hyung.” Kyuhyun replied with his own smile, walking over to the car. Kyuhyun was more than happy to see the elder. He has been missing him so much. They couldn’t meet as often as they wanted as Kyuhyun had his semester final exams. And also because Sungmin has stopped singing at the bar as he started to feel exhausted from even after singing one song. Heechul has said that this was because his heart was getting weaker and hence he is lacking oxygen when he exert himself.

“You’re done for this semester, right?” Kyuhyun replied the question with a nod. “So get in. Let’s go for dinner.”

 

After few minutes of driving they were sitting at a restaurant, facing each other. They ordered their meal and waited while sipping their favourite wine.

“So, I guess you have few free months left until the next semester?” Asked Sungmin looking at the younger.

“Yeah. Some free time, at last. I was so exhausted with all the projects and assignments.” Kyuhyun replied happily. Sungmin watched as his eyes twinkle at the prospect of the free time. “And now I have more time to be with you.” The younger continued looking straight into Sungmin’s face whose cheeks slightly turned pink at the younger’s enthusiasm to be with him. That single statement has made his heart soar.

The sincerity in the younger’s eyes made him remember the real reason he took Kyuhyun out for dinner. Sungmin decided that it was better to say his idea straight out than beating around he bush. He put down his glass of wine and looked up at the younger who was still smiling at him with eager eyes and a wide smile on his lips.

“Kyuhyun-ah, I decided to try the transplant.”

The wide smile adoring Kyuhyun’s face fell at the comment. “W-what?”

“Heechul said he found a compatible donor. A recently deceased man in a car accident.”

Kyuhyun continued to stare at the elder – frozen.

“The surgery will be on next Thursday.”

Kyuhyun snapped out of his trance at the statement. “Isn’t is only three days away?”

Sungmin nodded in confirmation.

“D-didn’t you say that you’ll only have a fifty percent chance to…to…”

“Survive? Yes.” Sungmin finished the question as Kyuhyun found it hard to voice it himself. The younger lowered the gaze to his lap. He couldn’t think straight anymore. Sungmin was so adamant on not having the procedure saying he wanted a normal life. He didn’t know why the elder suddenly agreed to go ahead with the procedure.

Sungmin reached across the table and gripped Kyuhyun’s hand laying on the table. “Kyuhyun-ah, from the recent reports I don’t really have a long time. But I want to. I want to live so bad Kyu-ah. I want to live for you. So I have to try everything.” He tugged slightly at the hand in his clasp to urge the younger to look at him. He wanted Kyuhyun to look him in the eye. He wanted to convey his desperation to live for him to the younger. His desperation to survive to be with the younger.

Kyuhyun returned his gaze back to the elder, clinging his own fingers around Sungmin’s hands. His eyes were glassy from the tears he held back. “I don’t want to lose you hyung.”

“I know Kyuhyun-ah. Heechul said this one looks promising. And I’m asking you to trust me. I’ll get through this,”

Kyuhyun didn’t have any idea what will happen. He wanted to trust the elder. He wanted to believe in every word Sungmin said. He wanted them to be together. “Okay.” He managed in a small voice begging to the heavens that fate would be on their side this once.

 


 

A/N:

This is unbeta'd guys. And I know this  big time. So sorry for the disappointment. T^T

Please tell me what you guys think. Your comments always help me to go on. <3 Love you all!