Chapter 20

Tomorrow May Or May Never Come

“Hey Sungmin, you’re early today." Heechul greeted as he entered the examination room. He took a good look at his friend who looked as if he aged ten years overnight.  "And you look like .” Heechul added pointedly looking at the pale depressed face in front of him, temporarily forgetting the guests in his office.

“Thanks for the compliment.” Sungmin replied sarcastically knowing his friend’s big mouth. Sungmin took off his shirt, getting ready for the check-up. “I couldn’t sleep much last few days.” He said laying on the bed.

“I told you not to skip your sleep. That’s not good for you.” Heechul said as he placed the stethoscope on Sungmin’s chest listening to the heart beats. After a while and after few other routines he allowed Sungmin to put the shirt back on. “What’s your excuse this time?” Asked Heechul as Sungmin sat on the bed, cheerfulness leaving his face.

“Kyuhyun.” Said Sungmin. Heechul suddenly remembered that the said person is in his office and can clearly hear them. But Sungmin continued before Heechul could stop him. “He came to me Heechul-ah. I knew why he came to me. But I can’t accept him. I can’t hurt him.” Sungmin wiped his face with his palms in distress. “I knew what was coming to me, what my fate is and I accepted it. I gave up my dreams of becoming a musician. I was ready to die. But now I hate the fact that I’m dying. I hate how weak I am. I hate how I can’t be a part of his life.”

On the other side of the room, Kyuhyun could hear every word that Sungmin uttered. He could almost imagine Sungmin’s pained expression as he spoke. “I can’t let Kyuhyun get hurt because of me. I can’t barge in his life and destroy him. He don’t deserve a broken heart, Heechul-ah.”

“Don’t you think you might have already intruded in his life?” Heechul’s voice spoke.

“I know. That’s why I’ll stop now. I’ve done enough damage.” Kyuhyun gripped the arm rest of the chair to control his anger that was boiling inside. Anger that was caused by love and frustration. But he snapped as he heard the next words of Sungmin.

“If he think that I don’t love him he’ll get over me and find someone who can love him back unconditionally. He can love someone else.”

“Do you think love can be changed just because you wanted?” Kyuhyun barked as he stormed into the check-up room closely followed by Ryeowook who was begging Kyuhyun to calm down. Sungmin and Heechul both jumped up from where they sat due to the unexpected entrance.

Sungmin opened and closed his mouth a few times like fish out of the water before he muttered the younger’s name. “Kyuhyun?”

“I don’t have any patients later. So I’ll leave you guys to talk.” Heechul said and escaped the heated situation hastily before anyone could reply.

“How….how did you know?” Sungmin asked, trying to calm himself.

“We met Heechul at a café.” Ryeowook answered as Kyuhyun was still fuming.

“He shouldn’t have told you anything. I told him not to.”

“Why? So you can lie to us more?” Kyuhyun spat at him.

“Kyuhyun-ah, calm down.” Ryeowook said slowly, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Kyuhyun just scoffed and shrugged the hand off, turning his back to the other two. Ryeowook sighed and looked back at Sungmin who has suddenly taken an interest in his own feet. “Sungmin hyung, you should have told us. We’re your friends. Does any of the others know?”

“No, not even Eunhyuk.” Sungmin’s answer came softly.

Ryeowook nodded in acknowledgement. “How-how bad is it?” He asked timidly.

“I don’t have a long time.”

Kyuhyun held back his tears, biting his lips.

“Don’t you think your friends would feel betrayed if they find out too late?” Ryeowook asked.

“I didn’t want you guys to worry about me. I was afraid you will start to pity me.” Sungmin muttered in defence. But he himself knew it was a weak excuse even as he uttered the words.

“Do you think that little of us? You ing lied to our faces.” Kyuhyun snarled, turning his head to look at Sungmin who flinched at the anger in younger’s words.

“I-I’ll wait outside.” Mumbled Ryeowook and he walked out of the check-up room and out of the office. He didn’t want to listen to their conversation.

“Kyuhyun-ah, I did it to protect you.” Sungmin said as soon as he heard the main door close. “I don’t have a tomorrow but you have. You can love someone better than me.”

“Do you think my love is that shallow so I can just change the person I love just because I wanted to?” The younger retorted.

If Sungmin ever had doubts, it all went away as he looked into Kyuhyun’s eyes. The unspoken, indescribable love was evident in those dark orbs which are now wet with tears of hurt and frustration.

But Sungmin still tried to reason with the younger. “You deserve someone better than me. There’s Ryeowook. He is a good person and he love you. You deserve to be happy Kyuhyun-ah. He can make you happy. Don’t you get it? I’m going to die but he will live.”

“Can’t you still understand? How can I get this through your thick skull?” Kyuhyun swept his fingers through his hair in frustration. “I ing love you. Not anyone else. You!” He half screamed forcing their eyes to meet. His eyes were speaking to Sungmin’s own orbs, trying make the other feel the love he had pent up in him.

At this Sungmin’s self-made walls broke down. As a rubber band that was stretched too much snap back, his emotions snapped. All rationality went out the window as he crossed the small distance between them in a flash and crashed his lips on Kyuhyun’s. After a fraction of a second of disbelief, Kyuhyun kissed him back as enthusiastically as the elder.

The world around them stopped and disappeared to nothingness as they felt the softness of each other’s lips.

“You don’t know how much I love you.” Sungmin murmured to the other’s lips as they broke the kiss due to lack of air. “You don’t know how long I’ve waited for this.”

He held the younger’s face in his palms, feeling the warm skin under his fingers. Kyuhyun bent his head to meet his temple with Sungmin’s, trying to lean more into the soft touch of the elder’s fingers. 

“I love you too.” Kyuhyun replied before claiming those M shaped perfection again. Sungmin placed his hand on younger’s nape and pulled him closer with the other hand around the waist. Kyuhyun slid his fingers through the soft blond locks and tugged gently at them, pulling the elder’s lips closer to him. Sungmin slowly started to the younger’s lower lip asking for permission to which Kyuhyun happily obliged and opened his mouth for the elder to explore. Their tongues danced together exploring each other’s caverns, with passion and love they held inside.

They pulled back from each other after a while, panting for breath.

Sungmin held the younger’s face in his palms and looked into the deep eyes.

“I love you.” He said softly and placed a chaste kiss on the younger’s lips. “But you made the wrong choice in loving me Kyuhyun.” Sungmin murmured against the younger’s lips before trying pull away.

Kyuhyun removed his hands from the elder’s hair and moved them to hold his waist, preventing the elder from moving away. He claimed those plush and swollen lips again after saying,

“Loving you was never a choice for me. But I choose to love you now.”

 


 

A/N:

So sorry for the late update guys. Hope you enjoyed it. (Sorry for any mistakes. It's un-beta'ed) 

Leave me some thoughts guys! Love you all.