Chapter 23

Tomorrow May Or May Never Come

Kyuhyun hasn't moved from his seat in the hallway outside the operating theatre for the past eight hours. Only one thought has crossed his mind. Please, save him.

Another hour passed before Kyuhyun jumped from his seat, seeing Heechul walk out of the operating theatre. The doctor looked exceptionally tired after the long hours he spent in the room. Despite the worn and tired look on his face, a triumphant smile was gracing his lips which sent Kyuhyun's hopes exceptionally high.

He waited hopefully for the older to open his mouth.

“He’s now stable Kyuhyun. You don't have to worry. He will still have to come in for further check-ups since he didn't go through all the pre required tests but he's okay"  The doctor himself reflected the relieved look on the youngers face.

"Can I...can I see him?" Kyuhyun asked eagerly, already taking a step.

"The nurses will take him to a room. You can see him there. It will take a while for him to get conscious. He’s still recovering from anaesthesia."

With Heechul's word Kyuhyun went to Sungmin's assigned room as the nurses rolled in a still unconscious Sungmin.

Kyuhyun sat by his boyfriend's bed and watched as Sungmin slept. His soft eyelids covered the usual bright doe eyes and his once soft full cheeks were slightly hollowed and faint dark circles were visible under his eyes showing all the torment he went through with all the medical tests.

 

 

 

He reached forward and took Sungmin’s hand in his and the back of his hand softly as if to assure himself that his lover was still there with him. Kyuhyun let out a relieved sigh.

Now everything was over. The miracle he wished for finally happened. He and Sungmin can be together forever. A happy end to their own fairy tale. He thought happily. There was nothing more he would ask for.

He halted his ministrations as he felt eyes on him. He shifted his gaze from Sungmin’s hand to be met with soft doe eyes. 

“Hyung...” he felt Sungmin's fingers wrap around his own. “I-I thought I lost you”

“Everything is going to be alright now Kyuhyun-ah.” Sungmin whispered firmly.

He had thought the same when the pain attacked him out of nowhere in the changing room. He couldn't bear the look he saw on Kyuhyun's face when both of them thought he was about to leave forever.  It was when he truly felt angry with himself for letting Kyuhyun go through the pain of lost and heartbreak.

But now it was over. He never thought he'll be lucky enough to pull through and be with Kyuhyun for the rest of his life. However it has become a reality for him. And I won't let go. He vowed to himself as he tightened his grip on Kyuhyun's hand.

 

 

 

Sungmin had to stay at the hospital for few days under observation. He was healing faster to everyone’s relief and especially to Kyuhyun’s utter delight who was by Sungmin day and night.

Though Sungmin asked the younger to go home and rest Kyuhyun would decline firmly. The ‘impossible’ became ‘possible’ for him and he wasn’t ready to let the other out of his sight.

During the days Sungmin had to stay at the hospital his friends have visited him when they heard the news from Ryeowook.  Donghae, Kangin, Leeteuk, Shindong, every one of them have visited him. Though they were disappointed him for not revealing his situation to them sooner they were glad their friend survived. It was Hyukjae who took the most time to forgive him.

Hyukjae has refused to visit Sungmin saying his best friend has betrayed him but he was eventually dragged into the hospital room by a fuming Donghae.

“Just talk it out.” Donghae has pushed his boyfriend into Sungmin’s room and walked out, dragging a surprised Kyuhyun with him and closing the door on the way out.

“Hey.” Sungmin spoke from where he was sitting on the bed.

“Hey.” Hyukjae replied hesitantly before walking over to the chair beside the bed and lowering himself on it. “Look, I’m really sorry I didn’t come earlier.” He said slowly, fidgeting with his linked fingers.

“No, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier. I just didn’t want to worry you guys.” Sungmin replied hastily. He did feel guilty for not telling anybody, especially his best friend for life.

“Anyway I should have come. You’re my best friend. The more I delayed coming here the more I felt scared you wouldn’t forgive me for not coming.” Hyukjae looked up at Sungmin’s face with guilt all over his face.

“Oh, you stupid. How can I stay angry with my best friend?” Sungmin flicked the forehead of the worried boy and leaned forward to entangle him in a tight hug. Hyukjae returned the hug, muttering an ‘ouch’ under his breath.

**

Their happiness seemed to be short lives as few days passed after the surgery. When everyone thought Sungmin was getting better all the hope and plans for a beautiful future went downhill with the arrival of the latest medical report.

Kyuhyun was sitting on the chair beside Sungmin’s bed, as usual, when Heechul walked in, eye downcast and shoulders hung.

Both Sungmin and Kyuhyun looked up at the gloomy aura of the doctor, dreading the news already even without hearing it.

Heechul cleared his throat and determinedly looked at his patient sitting on the edge of the bed who was looking questioningly at him.

“Uh… Sungmin, can I speak to you alone?”

“Wait, if it’s about his health I want to know too.” Kyuhyun interrupted before Sungmin could reply.

Sungmin studied Kyuhyun’s unwavering expression and nodded at Heechul in approval. They were in this together. Kyuhyun deserved to know whatever he was about to find out.

“Okay then.” Heechul took another look at the documents he was holding before looking back at the expectant males. “I’m really sorry Sungmin. I don’t know how to break this to you-”

“Heechul, get on with it.” Sungmin interrupted. He knew the coming news isn’t going to be a good one. But he’s rather hear it right away than dragging it out. He braced himself as the doctor let out a heavy sigh.

He felt Kyuhyun hand reach for his and intertwine with his fingers as the doctor started to speak again.

“The thing is, the recent medical reports show a slight complications. The condition is called primary graft dysfunction. It looks like the reason for this is narrow blood vessels in your heart.”

He already knew what the doctor meant. But he wanted to make sure. Sungmin cleared his throat of an invisible lump before addressing his friend. His face void of any kind emotion. “What do you mean?”

“This could lead to an immediate heart failure, Sungmin.”

Kyuhyun’s grip on Sungmin’s fingers tightened at the defeated tone in the doctor’s voice. “Can’t you do anything about it?” The younger asked with wide eyes, refusing to believe what he heard.

“There’s a treatment, injecting intravenous nitrates. But in this case it will only give you a little bit more time. Otherwise there’s nothing I can do, Sungmin-ah. I’m so sorry.” Heechul said dejectedly. He let out a heavy sigh and left the couple who sat motionless gripping each other’s hands for the assurance alone.

“Hyung,” Kyuhyun was the first to break the profuse silence. But he couldn’t say anything more. He was at a loss to even form a comprehending sentence.

It felt as if they’ve been making sand castles for few days just to get washed away by a tsunami. The hurt was greater as their hopes came crashing down without a warning. 

 


 

A/N: First of all I owe you all a huge aplogy for this late, late update. I was all tangled up in uni work (I still am. So hard with all the reports and assignments). 

Anyways I won't bore you with anymore excuses. 

Please leave some comments guys. It always makes me very happy and helps me to write more. It's just so many silent readers and even the subscribers don't really care. :( Well, it's you're choice. I can't force you to leave comments. 

Anyways hope you enjoyed this chapter and there's only few to go^^     See you soon! <3