Chapter 18

Tomorrow May Or May Never Come

 

Kyuhyun spent the next day on his bed trying to accept the fact Sungmin is never going to be his. He remembered how he first hated the elder for meaningless matters and how they got closer over the days passed. And how he grew to love the other. However after finally acknowledging his feelings of love and picking up the courage to confess his love to Sungmin, he unknowingly got rejected. The elder was never his to begin with.

At least he is still my friend. Kyuhyun thought to himself as he tried to console his heart. But his heart clenched with a new found pain at ‘friend’ as he realised that’s all Kyuhyun will be for Sungmin.

Kyuhyun was pulled out of his painful thoughts by the loud ring of his cell phone indicating an incoming message which from Ryeowook. That is when he remembered he was supposed meet his friend at his house to help him with some university assignments.

Kyuhyun first thought was to cancel the meet but then he decided against it. He needed this distraction. He had to get back to his life without Sungmin at some point. So why not now?

He dragged himself off the bed and cleaned himself up to set out to meet his friend.

 


 

Ryeowook was prepared for the tutorial from Kyuhyun.

If you can call a heart in love, selfish, then Ryeowook was very much selfish since the main reason for arranging the tutorial was not purely for the sake of studying. He knew Kyuhyun was going to confess to Sungmin yesterday. And as much as the outcome would probably hurt him, he wanted to know. This thought actually took him back to the memory of a phone call he received yesterday. It was from Sungmin.

“Hello Ryeowook, please don’t hang up on me like last time. First listen to me.” Sungmin’s voice rushed out through the speakers even before Ryeowook could say ‘hello’.

“Ok. What is it hyung?” Ryeowook managed, wondering about the reason for the call.

“Alright, Ryeowook, think of this as a continuation from our chat from the beach trip.” Said Sungmin. “You said you liked Kyuhyun right? So, I’ve decided to help you two get together. I’ll help you to get him.”

Ryeowook was taken aback by the surprise offer. However for some reason he felt as if it was a plead, more than an offer. But he pushed the thought away as he replied to the strange bargain.

“I...let me think about it hyung.”

“What is there to think about it? If you like him, you just have to confess your feelings.” Sungmin added even before Ryeowook finished his sentence.

“What if he doesn’t like me back? What if he doesn’t want to talk to me again? I just don’t want to ruin my friendship-” Ryeowook mumbled to the phone.

“Ryeowook-ah, you can’t live your life on ‘what if’s. You will never know what would happen unless you try. Besides I offered to help you, didn’t I?”

His conversation has ended with Sungmin promising to help Ryeowook to make Kyuhyun his.

Sungmin hasn’t mentioned about Kyuhyun going over there or confessing. So Ryeowook already assumed Sungmin offered the help merely because Kyuhyun hasn’t confessed yet. But he needed to make sure. He didn’t want to come in between them. He didn’t want to become an intruder that would destroy the happiness of his two friends.

Kyuhyun has told him before how much he loved Sungmin when the younger decided to divulge the secret to Ryeowook, no longer able to hold it in. He saw the said love in Kyuhyun eyes as the dark orbs shone even at the name of Sungmin. It broke Ryeowook’s heart. But he has seen how Sungmin look at Kyuhyun too. How Sungmin’s doe eyes follow the younger even unknown to the elder. And how Sungmin always care for the younger. What surprised Ryeowook was that Sungmin has never shown the care in his eyes directly to the younger. Sungmin had the adoration written all over his face whenever the younger is not looking at him. But the moment he comes face to face, Sungmin’s face would go blank and composed. It looked as if the elder loved Kyuhyun from afar. Ryeowook didn’t know whether it was love or plain care Sungmin harboured for the younger. But what Ryeowook knew for sure was that they cared for each other to a level that nobody can even start to understand.

Therefore it was an understatement to say Ryeowook was surprised at Sungmin’s out of the blue offer. He needed to know the outcome of Kyuhyun’s confession to Sungmin. He wanted to make sure he wouldn’t be hurting his two friends by taking up what seemed to be an irrational offer.

Ryeowook stood up from where he sat at the sound of the doorbell and walked over to the door, bracing himself for the worst. What he didn’t expect was the tired face of Kyuhyun which held sunken eyes and huge dark circles that was prominent on the pale skin. He looked as if he aged ten years overnight.

“Kyuhyun-ah, what happened to you?”

Without a reply Kyuhyun hugged the confused Ryeowook. Ryeowook returned the hug as several scenarios played in his head. He broke the tight hug after a while and led Kyuhyun to the sofa and sat himself beside Kyuhyun who buried his face in his palms in distress.

“Do you want to talk about it? Is it about Sungmin hyung?” Ryeowook asked as he pat Kyuhyun’s back trying to comfort his friend.

Silence fell between them as Kyuhyun refused to say anything. After a while the younger let out a sigh, running his finger through his hair.

 At first Kyuhyun felt it was between him and Sungmin but then again he needed to empty out his heart to someone to escape the pain caused by the bitter memory. He bit his lip and turned to Ryeowook in resignation.

He recounted everything that happened day before. He had to swallow a sob and lowered his head as he told Ryeowook about Heechul. But Kyuhyun didn’t know it wasn’t only him suffering as he uttered his story. It pained for Ryeowook also to see the younger suffer over someone else.

“So…you….you didn’t confess to Sungmin hyung?” Ryeowook asked slowly.

“How can I Ryeowook-ah? He loves someone else. Not me.” Kyuhyun replied managing to hold back the tears. It was like déjà vu for Ryeowook as he remembered same exact words leaving his mouth during his conversation with Sungmin.

Ryeowook watched as Kyuhyun slumped himself against the couch’s backrest in utter defeat. The younger closed his eyes with his palms covering his face.

Ryeowook stood off from his seat and walked off to the kitchen, mumbling about making tea for both of them to relax.

 


 

Ryeowook plugged in the kettle and rested himself against the kitchen counter. He moved his gaze over to Kyuhyun who was still leaning against the couch almost lifelessly. He knew of the feelings the younger harboured for Sungmin. But he never believed it was strong enough to devastate his always calm, composed friend. But seeing the state of the younger apparently he was wrong. The heart broken look on Kyuhyun pricked at his own heart, knowing the tears of the younger was for someone else.

Ryeowook let his mind wander around the things the younger divulged just few minutes before. Sungmin already having a lover was a huge surprise for him. The thought of Sungmin brought back the memories of his phone conversation with the latter. ‘If you like him, you just have to confess your feelings.’

Right then and there he decided. He knew it was an impulsive decision but if he didn’t do this now he would never have the courage to do it again. Sungmin’s words pushed him more to take the next step. ‘You will never know what would happen unless you try.

Ryeowook pushed himself off the edge of the counter and walked over to Kyuhyun who still had his face in his palms. Ryeowook slowly lowered himself on the couch beside the younger and placed a tentative hand on his shoulder, to which Kyuhyun responded by turning to look at the smaller male.

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Ryeowook started slowly. “I know this is not the perfect moment but I need to get this out of my chest. So please don’t hate me.”

Kyuhyun forgot for a moment about his pain and stared at his best friend, wondering what he could possibly say to make him hate him.

“Can you forget about Sungmin?” Ryeowook asked, his voice barely audible. Kyuhyun watched his friend, trying to understand what the smaller man was trying to say.

Ryeowook looked at his friend’s surprised eyes and then he inhaled deeply before repeating more confidently because for him it was now or never.

“Can you forget Sungmin?”

Kyuhyun opened his mouth to protest but was interrupted by the smaller man.

“No let me finish.” Ryeowook said determinedly. “I want you to let go of Sungmin because it is hopeless for you to hold your feelings for him. And because there is someone else that care for you, someone that waited for you so long but never had the courage to say so.”

Ryeowook looked into Kyuhyun’s eyes before continuing. “I like you and I have been liking you for a long time.”

“Ryeowook-ah…” Kyuhyun started without knowing how to continue. It was an unexpected confession in an unexpected time. He didn’t know how to reply.

Ryeowook shook his head and interjected before Kyuhyun could say anything more. “I don’t want you to answer now. But please think about what I said. All I need is a chance. And I promise I won’t bother you by asking for an answer. You can think about it and then answer me when you’re ready.”

He let out a deep breath and looked at Kyuhyun with a small smile. “I’m sorry, but I can’t do our tutorial today. See you later?”

Kyuhyun nodded and walked out of his best friend’s place without another word.

 


 

A/N: 

Hi everyone! I'm back with another chapter! Enjoy! And please tell me what you think! <3