Chapter 16

Tomorrow May Or May Never Come

Sungmin came down to the living room after a shower. It was nearly four a clock in the evening. His mother was making an evening snack when he walked into the kitchen. He grabbed the hot chocolate his mother has made for him and walked towards the couch near the window. He could hear the rain spluttering against the window. He lowered himself to the couch and gathered himself in a comfortable position. Slowly his mind wandered to the conversation he had with Ryeowook previous night.

He likes you hyung.

Sungmin felt warmth flood through his body tingling every cell of his being. The word happiness doesn’t even begin to express what he felt.

            Kyuhyun likes you.

His heart skipped a beat as those three words echoed in his head. He knew he should feel sorry for Ryeowook. And this was exactly what he wanted to avoid. He didn’t want Kyuhyun to fall for him. He already tried to control his heart and swipe the feelings away. It didn’t listen and he accepted his heart’s decision. He will love Kyuhyun. But he didn’t know other was reciprocating the feelings. He didn’t want him to. Because it would be at the expense of Kyuhyun being hurt at the end.  

The sound of the doorbell pulled him out of his reverie. He got up from the couch wondering who would visit him at this hour.

“I’ll get it.” He shouted to inform his mother and walked to the door.

Kyuhyun was standing at the door holding a bouquet of roses and a shopping bag in one hand and an umbrella to protect himself from the increasing rain.

“Kyuhyun-ah…” Sungmin trailed off as he eyed the roses.

“Can I come in? It’s pretty bad out here.” Asked Kyuhyun wearing his rare genuine smile that always managed to weaken Sungmin’s knees.

“Yes, of course come in.” Sungmin stepped away letting Kyuhyun in. “Take a seat. I’ll ask mom to make something.”

“Oh no, it’s alright.” Kyuhyun folded the umbrella and placed it in the hallway and followed Sungmin to the living room.

“Kyu, why are you wet even with the umbrella?” Asked Sungmin eyeing Kyuhyun who was now sitting with tiny water droplets glistening on his hair. “I’ll get you a towel.” Sungmin walked away before Kyuhyun could reply.

Sungmin went into the bathroom to grab a dry towel. He let out a breath he didn’t know was holding as soon as he reached the bathroom. He somehow knew why Kyuhyun was here with a bunch of roses. He felt his heart flutter as his stomach did somersaults. But he tried to reason with his disobeying heart. He knew he can’t deny how much he loved the younger. He has fallen for the younger so hard. But he knew he should do the right thing for the sake of Kyuhyun.

He let out a deep breath and grabbed a towel and walked his way down to Kyuhyun.

“Kyuhyun-ah, here’s the tow-” Sungmin’s words trailed off as he landed his eyes on the younger.

Sungmin saw that Kyuhyun was looking at a small picture frame on the small cabinet beside the chair he was sitting on. Sungmin knew what was in that picture. It was a picture of Sungmin and another man with arms around each other’s shoulders and smiling happily to the camera.

Sungmin’s eyes moved up to the younger’s face who was still observing the picture. Sungmin’s heart clenched at the obvious dread that was painted on that handsome face. This is exactly what he wanted to avoid; giving hopes to the younger and breaking them. He never wanted to hurt the one he loves.

Sungmin decided it was the time to let the younger know.

“Hyung, who is this?” Kyuhyun asked pointing to the picture, trying not to show the obvious curiosity.

“Ah, that’s Heechul.” Replied Sungmin casually handing the towel to the younger. Kyuhyun looked at him expectedly for a further explanation.

“He is my boyfriend.”

Sungmin saw how Kyuhyun froze in his place clutching the towel, face drained of colour. Eyes widened with shock. Denial and disbelief flashed across Kyuhyun’s face and finally realisation settled in. Sungmin knew what he said hurt the younger. But he knew he didn’t have a choice.

“Ah, I- I didn’t know you have a boyfriend hyung.” Kyuhyun said trying not to show the disappointment he felt. His grip on the towel tightened as if his life depended on it.

“It didn’t come up.” Sungmin shrugged.  “We were together for three years already” Was Sungmin’s reply. His voice was void of any emotion whatsoever. “So Kyuhyun-ah, why did you come here? And who are the flowers for?”

“I- I…came to give your clothes back from the other day and the flowers are for Mrs. Lee. I’ll come back later, it’s nothing important.”

Sungmin watched Kyuhyun as he mumbled incoherently, his eyes red and b with tears which he stubbornly held on without letting them fall. He felt an immense pain clawed at his heart as he watched the disappointed broken down expression on the younger’s face. Kyuhyun mumbled a throaty, almost inaudible good bye as he walked out the door, the umbrella left forgotten. Sungmin felt his heart break into several little pieces as he watched the younger dashed into the rain. He let out a sob as a wet hot tear tricked down his own cheek. 

 


 

A/N:

Hi and sorry guys it took so long to update. I had to go to the hospital for a surgery in my toe. :(

Alright, here goes the next chapter! Enjoy! 

Would totally love to know what ya'll think!