Chapter 22

Tomorrow May Or May Never Come

The following few days were spent as Sungmin had to go through few medical check-ups before the surgery.

Kyuhyun sat in the hallway of the radiology department of the hospital while Sungmin was ushered in to get a CT scan. Hundreds of thoughts on the upcoming surgery were running through his mind. He wanted to be positive but with the chance of surviving being 50 percent he had no choice but to keep faith on Sungmin to be strong enough to pull through.

Now Kyuhyun understood why Sungmin didn’t want him to fall in love with him. Why Sungmin tried to push him away. Loving a dying man was like he was dying himself. He was suffering just by thinking of the future without Sungmin. He was suffering seeing the one he love get weak day by day, getting closer to the death. He had no choice but to watch the other struggle to hold on to life. He had to watch Sungmin go through hundred different tests, getting his blood drawn out of him, getting needles inserted in him. He could only offer empty words in an attempt to sooth the pain.

It was painful to love a dying person. But if Kyuhyun could go back in time, he would do things the same all over. If he could, he would make his move earlier so he could have more time with Sungmin. He never regretted his love.

His stream of thoughts were interrupted as he heard the sound of footsteps. He raised his head from his hand to see Heechul walking towards him from the scanning room.

“Hello Kyuhyun.” The doctor greeted with a bright smile.

Kyuhyun opened his mouth to return the greeting but was interrupted by Sungmin who poked his head out of a nearby room, still in the hospital gown he wore for the scanning session. “Hey Kyu, give me a minute.” He disappeared back into the room to get changed to his clothes.

Heechul watched as the younger’s face light up just by seeing his lover. He pitied the both of them for being in this situation. He silently vowed to himself that he would do anything he can to make Sungmin better.

“I just now took a look at his reports. Looks like he has a high chance to go through this.” He said wanting to assure the younger.

Kyuhyun let out a relieved sigh. The doctor didn’t mean that it was hundred percent but the news was worth enough to hold on to.

“Hey, I’m bit busy today. So I got to go. Sungmin will come out soon. See you later.” The doctor added cheerily and turned to leave.

Kyuhyun grabbed the doctor’s arm preventing him walking away. An idea has suddenly struck Kyuhyun. “Can’t he do the transplant at the last moment? I mean when he’s…” If Sungmin could live longer without taking the risk of a failed transplant, that was what Kyuhyun wanted.

“When he’s about to die?” Heechul finished the sentence for Kyuhyun who’s refusing to say the d-word. “We have actually considered that. But waiting until the last minute will cause damage to his internal organs as organs will have to work under limited oxygen conditions if his heart starts to fail. Since oxygen is critical for the survival of cells, lack of oxygen will cause tissue damage. So no, we can’t wait until the last moment.”

Heechul smiled kindly at the younger who looked defeated at the answer he got. “Look, don’t worry. He has a very high chance of surviving.” He patted the worried younger’s arm affectionately and turned to walked away but he stopped in his track as he heard a loud gasp followed by dreading thud from the closed room where Sungmin was in.

Heechul barely registered the terrified look on Kyuhyun’s face as both of them ran to the closed door.

Kyuhyun reached the door first and yanked the door open to reveal Sungmin lying on the floor, clutching at his chest. Apparently he could only managed to pull on his pants before the pain attacked him and made him fall to the ground.

Kyuhyun rushed forward and knelt beside his lover while Heechul pushed the emergency button to alert the hospital staff.

Soft gasps escaped Sungmin’s lips as he tried to hold the pain shot through his chest starting from where his heart was. His breathing was erratic and the pain was unbearable. He barely registered the petrified look on Kyuhyun’s face as the younger knelt beside him looking utterly helpless. He tried not to show his pain for the sake of Kyuhyun who looked as if he’s suffering alongside Sungmin.

Kyuhyun visibly flinched every time Sungmin let out involuntary gasps. He gently squeezed the elder’s hand. A small gesture to show that he is right beside him.

And that was more than enough for Sungmin. He was happy the younger didn’t abandon him.

His breathing started to become steady as the pain slowly subsidised.

Heechul grabbed his stethoscope and listened to Sungmin’s heartbeats as the latter seemed to become more stable. Kyuhyun watched as the doctor’s face turned from surprise to utter defeat.

“Heechul-ssi, what is it?” Kyuhyun’s voice came out feeble.

The hospital staff barged in just as Heechul opened his mouth to reply. “I don’t know why suddenly but he just survived a mini . I don’t think he can go through the rest of the tests before he stabilises. It’s better if he can get admitted today since it’s safer to stay under-” But his words were cut off as Sungmin’s face scrunched up again as another wave of pain hit him. His breathing became more frantic while digging his nails into the younger’s hand he was holding, trying to bear the pain.

“Oh my god, Sungmin-ah,” Heechul yelped. He recognised the symptoms and he knew this was it. All the tests weren’t complete but he had no choice but to proceed with the surgery. It was the last straw.

The nurses mounted a writhing Sungmin on a stretcher and rolled him off to the operation theatre with a dazed Kyuhyun and a worried Heechul following.

Kyuhyun didn’t say a word as his boyfriend was pushed into the operating room. He didn’t understood all the medical stuff Heechul said to him before the doctor went into the operating theatre. All he knew was this time it wasn’t simple check-up. It was what’s going to decide the life or the death of his beloved.

A lone tear escaped his eyes when the realisation hit him like lead bearing. He put his hands together and sank to his knees.

“Please save him. Please bring him back to me.”

He prayed that day as never before.

 


 

A/N: 

Oh my god guys please forgive me for this late late update!

I was jet lagged and didn't really get time to write after I got back here. So this may not be a good update too. T^T

Please give me your comments! It always motivates me. Thanks lovelies~~~

Sungmin's new blog update was smashing btw. (couldn't resist, sorry not sorry)

140302_sungminnaverblog7.jpg