Six

We Can Make This Work

Attention, passengers: we are now preparing to land in Los Angelas. It is 8:45 in the morning and 82 degrees. I hope you enjoyed your flight. Please fasten your seatbelts.

The pilot's voice woke most of us up. I sat up straight from leaning on Jiyong and he sat up from having his head on the top of mine. I pulled my earbuds out of my ears, which were playing Seungri's Love Box.

I looked to my right and saw Vinny and Anika waking up. both of them in a similar position Jiyong and I had been in. Jiyong fixed his hat and glanced at my brother. "How's he doing?"

I looked, too. Vinny looked tired, of course, but he also looked... sad. His eyes were dark and there was a frown pasted onto his face. My heart ached just looking at him.

I shook my head. "I can tell not good..."

"Minzy was just being dramatic." Jiyong shook his head. "They'll get back together."

We landed, and we all got off the plane, our managers around us. The dancers were with us, too.

I stood next to Vinny as we made it through the terminal. He stayed silent, but had his phone in his hand. He was wearing a striped tank and pink shorts, a snapback on his head and sunglasses shielding his eyes. Our airport fashion was always comfortable but stylish without really trying. I was similar to him in a muscle t-shirt, lace fade-to-black-shorts, trucker hat, and sunglasses. My hair was still straight from performing, and i had that damn wrap on my ankle. I was also trying my best not to limp, but that was failing.

Outfits:

Jiyong and Anika definitely dressed up more than we did. Jiyong was in a plaid shirt, skinny jeans, and a hat, while Anika wore half plaid, half-dotted mini shorts, a black draped tank, jacket, scarf, and fedora.

Immediately, we got screams as security blocked us from crazy fans.

"Keep your heads down and go." our manager Kevin told Vinny and I as he helped block fans.

We did as we were told to get out as quickly and safely as possible, following Anika and GD. Fans shouted out to us as they took pictures and videos.

GD Oppa!

Nyka! I love you!

VINAT! Oh my God you're both so hot!

Vinny, I love you!

Natalia, you look so y!

We got to the van safely, and were immediately taken away as soon as we got in.

"Dude, I could really go for a burger right now." Vinny sighed, taking off his glasses.

Kevin immediately shook his head as he tapped on his tablet he constantly had with him. "Not a chance. You know how it is when you haven't had American food in a while. That would not be a good thing counting you have a busy day tomorrow. I don't know what Anika nad Jiyong are eating tonight, but you both are eating salads, only a tablespoon of dressing, and a bowl of rice."

Vinny and I both groaned. "But Kevin!"

"No buts!" Kevin held up one hand. He looked at the driver. "Can we stop at an In-and-Out, please?"

"Why?" I asked.

Kevin shrugged. "I don't have to go onstage tomorrow."

-----

As soon as we got to the hotel, we were split up, somehow so Anika and I shared a room, Vinny and Jiyong sharing another.

Anika and I got to our suite and I collapsed onto my bed as I dialed my phone. "I'm so freaking tired, man."

"It's noon, man." Anika mocked, sitting on her own bed. "We have the panel at five."

"I know." I groaned and put my phone to my ear. I let it ring until I finally heard a groggy answer.

"Took you long enough."

"Sorry." I immediately apologized. "Were you sleeping?"

"In and out. I was waiting for you to call." Seungri yawned. "So you're at the hotel?"

"Yeah. We have our panel at five. Then I'm not sure what we're doing. We perform tomorrow so we'll probably practice."

"How's your ankle?"

"It hurts." I sighed. "But I'm fine. I'll be fine."

"Good. Well I'm glad you're in LA safely. I'll call you tomorrow, okay? I'm really tired."

I giggled. "I can tell. Night."

"Night."

We both hung up, and I looked at Anika. "He sounded so tired."

"Maknae?" Anika asked, rumaging through her bag.

I nodded. "He waited for me to call. I was shocked."

"Maknae loves you." Anika teased.

Before she continued, there was a knock on the door. I groaned. "I swear if this is a crazy fan who got past the guards..."

I answered it, and was tackled in a hug, making me stumble back before I could react. I squealed when I realized I was being hugged by my cousin Madeline.

"Madeline!" I squealed, squeezing her back. I hadn't seen her in months. "Oh my God! Why are you here?"

"YG is having me and a few others from YG Chicago dance for you guys." Madeline beamed, lettting go of me.

"That's so great! I haven't seen you in forever!"

Madeline nodded. "I know! I haven't seen any of you!" she waved to Anika. "Hey, Anika."

"Hey, mini Little VIP." Anika waved back.

"I bet your sad Taeyang didn't come, right?" I knew she had been away from him as long as I had been away from her. Long distance relationships .

Madeline shrugged. "We Skype every day. I swear, though, if that boy doesn't bring his mowhawk back, I'm stowing away in your suitcase and forcing him to bring it back. Those braids, or that unruly mane..." Madeline shivered.

I laughed. "I agree with you, Mads."

----

"It's so hot!" I whined as Lola helped Anika and I get ready for the panel. I was looking at the forecast on my iPad, and it said it was 97 degrees outside. "You straightened my hair and I'm gonna sweat!"

"No you won't." Lola assured. "You're wearing a crop top and short shorts. You're going to be fine." She finished straightening Anikas hair. It was so hot, Anika was even sporting a tank top and shorts..

Outfits (Vinny, Nat, Anika):

:

We followed Lola to Vin and Jiyong's room, where the pair were getting ready with help from Jinae. Vinny was in a black and white outfit like me, and I winced when I saw she had him in black skinny jeans. "Dude, you're gonna roast."

"I know." Vinny sighed. "But the shorts weren't as good."

"Let me look." Lola walked over to the guys' wardrobe and rummaged through. Jiyong looked great in a white t shirt and jeans.

Lola came back with a pair of shorts. "These. Go change. You need to stay cool."

Vinny left to the bathroom, and I looked at Jiyong. "How is he?"

"I think he's tried calling or texting her." Jiyong told me. "He gets nothing back. He constantly checks ihis phone. I know he's not okay."

"Dude... what if they ask him about him and her?" I sighed.

"I know. I was wondering the same thing." Vinny interrupted when he came back out.

"Just act like everything's fine. Or be vague." Jiyong said.

I nodded. "You should be okay."

We were all ready to go, so our managers and body guards took us downstairs to the van. When we were going to K-Con, I quickly took a selca at an angle where Seungri could see me and my outfit. I texted him the picture and message:

off to the panel! it's so hot and im so nervous!

almost instantly, I got a text back:

omo, u look amazing! wish i could c u in person! :( have fun! ull do great!

I was so nervous for this, and I didn't know why. I did interviews all the time. I loved our fans. Something about this made it more... exciting.

We pulled up to K-Con, and we could already see it was packed with fans. We all put on our sunglasses, and got to the VIP entrance. From there, we all got out, bodygaurds around us. I kept close to Vinny when we got inside, which was busier than hell. People were all around, and Kevin stopped a staff member to ask what tent we were supposed to go to.

"I was actually waiting for you all. I'm Lee, your guide for tonight." Lee introduced, smiling at us. "Come on." He led us to our tent, and every once in a while fans would see us and scream or take pictures. It was definitely crazy.

The bright sun was brutal and I prayed to God that I wouldn't get nasty sweaty.

Luckily, some other staff members handed us water bottles.

Lee stopped us at a tent. "You guys are actually up next. Then there will be a fan signing."

I couldn't believe that as soon as we got here we had to go to the panel. It was a little bit overwhelming.

I heard someone announce us onstage. "You guys love them. They're hot. They're known as GD, VINAT, and NyKa. Please give a warm welcome to G-Dragon, Natalia, Vincent, and Anika!"

We heard screams, and we walked up the steps, the order being Jiyong, Me, Vinny, and Anika, like they announced. Fans were screaming, and we all smiled and waved before we took our seats.

Vinny and I both took off our sunglasses at the same time, and put them on the tops of our heads.

First off, the questions were general, asking us how it was working at YG, what we thought of our new albums, and stuff like that. Then, some audience members got to ask Jiyong questoins.

Then it was me and Vinny's turn.

Our first question was from a girl that looked to be about eighteen. "How does it feel to be K-Pop idols when you aren't even Korean?"

I looked at Vinny and spoke into my mic, looking back at the girl. "Well, I think I can say for both of us that we really don't count ourselves at K-Pop. We really just count our music style as electronic hip-hop."

"Yeah." Vinny agreed. "I mean, it's not like our songs are entirely in Korean. We have had to learn the language, though. So we're more Korean than we look." He chuckled, and the audience laughed.

Another fan got to ask a question, and it was another girl. "This question is for Natalia: you've kissed all the Big Bang members. I can't help but ask: who's the best kisser?"

We all laughed, and Vinny even let out a snort. "Really? I'm offended I didn't get asked this!"

I scoffed and pushed him, and looked at Jiyong. "We kissed? Why don't I remember this?"

Jiyong laughed. "It was the Beautiful Hangover video."

I gasped. "Oh, yeah! Sorry." I laughed, and felt my face get red. I put my water bottle to my cheeks. "Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?" The fans laughed, and I sighed and set my water bottle down. "Come on, you're really gonna make me choose? They're all Big Bang. But if I had to choose..."

I thought for a moment.

"Seungri. It'd have to be the maknae."

Everyone cheered, and I fanned my face.

Another fan asked a question. "This is for Vinny: Can you please say something to your fans in Italian?"

Vinny fixed his hat and gave the girl that lopsided smile our fans loved. "In Italian? Why in Italian?"

The girl giggled and covered before speaking. "Because you sound really y in Italian."

Vinny chuckled and thought for a moment. He spoke. "Grazie a tutti per amare VINAT. Facciamo tutto questo solo per voi ragazzi, e voi siete quelli che ci mantengono in cammino. Noi vi amiamo tutti! AMO i tuoi Amici!"

Fans screamed and cheered.

There was one more question for us. It was a guy. "My question is for either of you: What would your advice be for a person who isn't Korean, like me, to make it in the K-Pop business?"

I spoke first. "Try. Work hard. Seriously, if you have talent, make it grow. You have to love what you do. It takes so much dedication. I never thought I would be a dancer, let alone an idol. I still don't count myself as an idol. If we can do it, anyone can."

"I'm not kidding when I say we were just like you guys. I had posters of 2NE1. I had all the singles and albums. Nat had the life-size cardboard cutout of TOP. We-"

"You did?!?" A fan exclaimed.

I felt my face go red and I looked at Vinny. "Thanks!" I winced and put my head down dramatically. "Oh mio dio..."

Fans laughed. Vinny chuckled. "Yeah, she really did. It was creepy, walking into her room at night and that'd be right there. But, anyway, we were just K-Pop fans. When you have those opportunities, no matter how little they may be, take them. We did, and look where we're at now. We're on a panel at K-Con!" Vinny held out his arms. "I mean, come on! It's a dream!"

Everyone screamed and cheered.

--------

"Alright, let's practice." Jiyong said. We were all onstage for practice for the concert tomorrow. He clapped his hands. "It's VINAT first, then the trio of you and Anika, then Anika, and then me. After my songs, Missy and I do our duo, then we do Lose Control."

Kevin and the other managers were at the sound and stage management booth, and Vinny and I got into position onstage. We were doing a remix of Break it Down and Twins So Fly, so we had a lot more dancing in it. My ankle hurt really bad, and it made me nervous because VIP backstage fans got to watch the idols practice, so we had a small crowd.

I was getting warm under the lights, so I put my hair up into a high ponytail.

We started our remix, dancing in sync with our backup dancers. In the middle of the song, we had this dance duet where we did a lot of pop-and-locks, slides, and even an in the air flip in perfect sync.

We went into the duet, and I felt my body tense up when we got to the flip part. But, we did it. The only problem was my landing. I hobbled a bit while Vinny spun perfectly and went down into the splits like we choreographed.

The music stopped, and I groaned. "Sorry, sorry."

"Let's go again." Vinny nodded. "From the solo."

The music started, and we danced again. This time, I flipped, and freaked out at my landing, so I stumbled back into Young Don, who caught me.

I groaned. "Again."

The music set again, and we went through the steps again. I ignored the throbbing in my ankle, but when I landed from the flip, it gave out and I landed on my .

The music immediately stopped and Vinny crouched next to me. I could hear the fans murmering in the VIP section.

I fought back frustrated tears and pushed Vinny away. "I'm fine. I can do this."

"We need to stop practicing it or else you're going to destroy your ankle." Vinny sighed.

Kevin hurried over. "You alright, doll face?"

I nodded. "I'm fine. Just my damn ankle."

Vinny fixed his hat. "Let's go on to Acapella. We'll be fine with this tomorrow." Vinny helped me up, and we walked back to the center of the stage. We got into position, me crouched down in a "Park Bom stance" (squatting, my profile to the audience but my face facing them, hand on my hip), and Vinny put his hand in his pocket.

Anika walked onstage, and started singing Acapella.

We went through that just fine, and Vinny and I walked offstage as Anika sang her song.

Then it was Jiyong's turn. He was singing One Of a Kind, Crayon, Michigo, and his and Missy Elliot's song. I looked at Anika. "So have you practiced those moves I taught you for Lose Control?"

Anika groaned. "I don't dance. I especially don't dance like a ."

"It's not ty. It's flirty. A little hip rolling and chest popping never hurt anyone."

In Lose Control near the end, there was a part that Jiyong would rap while pointing to me, and I would dance. Then, Vinny would rap the lyrics after, and Anika would dance.

Anika shook her head. "I don't want to do it."

"You need to do it." I frowned. "Who else would Vinny point to to dance?"

"Himself." Anika snorted.

"I'm cocky, but I'm not that cocky." Vinny chuckled.

I felt my nerves getting the best of me as I watched Missy and Jiyong onstage. Could I really rock the stage with my inspiration?