Eleven

We Can Make This Work

"I can't believe we're here." I smiled brightly as we grabbed our bags from the overhead carriers.

"I know. Do you think we'll have enough time ot visit the famiglia?" Vinny asked.

We started off the plane. "I don't know. I hope so. Maybe you will. I have the photo shoot to do."

We walked through the terminal, and I felt butterflies in my stomach. Rome, Italy. We used to make this trip every two years. We'd go to Rome, Milan to visit my mom's side, and then Sicilly to my dad's. This was my home, even though we never officially lived here.

When we walked into the airport, we immediately heard screams. Vinny jumped, he was so shocked.

I didn't realize we had this many fans, either.

"Keep close." Kevin told us, ushering us to hurry up. Fans were being held back by security, a bar  barricading them from us.

Vinny and I waved to our fans as we made it through the airport. Some fans were crying, others jumping up and down while holding signs.

We made it through, and then stepped out into the bright Italian sky, even more fans waitng for us. Kevin immediately pushed us to the black SUV that was waiting for us.

"Come on, Kev." Vinny groaned. "We can't even enjoy the Italian sun as soon as we get here."

"You can enjoy it when we get to the hotel." Kevin said simply. "Which we have a drive ahead of us. We aren't staying in Rome. We're staying in Milan since that's where MTV is."

I groaned. "Kevin, that's like a five hour drive."

"I know, but we're going." Kevin sighed and tapped away on his tablet.

"Pizza and canollis, man. That's all I want." Vinny sighed and leaned back.

I got out my phone and dialed Seungri's number. He picked up on the second ring. "How's Italy?"

"I haven't seen much of it." I groaned. "We weere whisked off the plane and into a car. We have a five hour drive to Milan now."

"So where did you land?" Seungri asked.

"Rome." I sighed. "It . It's like we're so close to our family yet so far away. I want to visit them so badly."

"Your dad's family?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "They're basically clones of us but with darker hair and brown eyes."

"Are they the ones that own the vineyard?"

"Yes but please don't tell Top that-" I started but then I heard him in the distance.

"Natalia's family owns a vineyard?!? What?!?! Give me that phone!" I heard TOP's muffled voice, then a bit of a scuffle, and Seungri letting out a defeated "Hyung!"

"Why did I hear maknae say your parents own a vineyard?" TOP exclaimed quickly in Korean.

I sighed, not fully picking up what he said except the words maknae, parents, and vineyard. "English, please." I heard Seungri's painful whines in the background. "Did you knock Seungri off a couch?"

"Chair." TOP said quickly, switching to English. "Who in your family owns a vineyard? In Italy?"

"My family, and yes in Italy."

"We dated for over a year total and you never told me this?!?" TOP exclaimed. "You know my love for wine!"

"It's more like a ." I sighed. "My family in Sicilly. It's like, one of the best vineyards in Italy."

"We're going. You're taking me." TOP said instantly.

"What? No!" I scoffed. "We aren't going to have enough time."

"We will make time." TOP told me. "You are taking me and that's final."

"You don't even know that side of my family! I don't think it's necessary for you to meet them." I sighed and pushed my hair back. Vinny was now looking at me, confused.

"You never know. I could have to one day." TOP chuckled.

My heart stopped. "What do you mean? Don't even joke with that."

"You know what I mean." TOP chuckled.

"Don't." I said sternly. I really wanted to change the subject. "If we have time, we'll go out there, okay? Because me and Vinny really do want to see our family."

"Thank you thank you thank you!!!" TOP pretty much squealed so loudly, I had to pull my phone away from my ear.

"Okay, okay. Now give Ri back his phone."

"He knocked me off my chair." Seungri  whined when he got the phone back.

"I know. I'm sorry. You should never mention the W-word to him." I laughed.

"So are you taking him to the vineyard?"

"Not if you don't want me to." I said immediately. "I mean, I don't even know if we are going to have enough time to go. And it's not like I want him to come with."

"It's fine, Natalia." Seungri actually laughed. "You guys can go."

"Really?" I asked.

"I know you don't like him." Seungri explained after a brief pause and a door shutting. "And, besides, you wanted to take this slow, right?"

"Yeah...." I said slowly.

"And old-fashioned."

"Well, not entirely old-fashioned." I told him. "Like, if I'm ready for something, I'm gonna make it happen." I laughed.

Seungri chuckled. "My point is, I have officially asked you out. I mean, I've asked you to go on a date, but you don't become a couple after one date, you know? So we aren't officially together."

My forehead crinkled on instinct. "Uh... so we aren't together? Does that mean you've been stepping out on me

Seungri laughed again. "Of course not! When I like a girl, I focus on her even before I ask her out. You're the one who wanted this to be old-fashioned."

"Well, it's not like I'm gonna step out on you, either." I pointed out.

"Well, good." I could hear Seungri's smile. "And there's no harm in going out with a friend. I've gone out with the 2NE1 noonas and IU before and you don't get mad."

"Because I know you're just friends with them."

"And you're just friends with the hyungs."

I really wanted to argue the fact that I did date TOP at one point, but I kept my mouth shut. I sighed dramatically. "Okay... I feel like I'll be taking a child to the amusement part."

"With hyung and wine, you will be." Seungri laughed.

-----

"You guys check in." Kevin nodded to the front desk. "You both know Italian. More than what I know."

We walked over to the desk, and checked in. The worker handed us three room keys and explained the complimentary things the hotel had.

We handed Kevin his key. "Alright. We're good."

Vinny looked around as we started to the elevator. "You know what we could do?"

"What?" I asked.

"We could go visit Nonno Marconi since we're in Milan."

This was true. My mom's parents had divorced when my mom was a baby. My grandma was the one who moved the family to America, while my grandpa stayed in Italy. My mom was still close to her dad and all, she just only saw him once or twice a year. He was a really cool guy, though. He traveled a lot when he was younger, partly because he never remarried. He also owned his own bistro downtown, where he brewed his own coffee and drinks, and made things like pastries and pasta salads.

I looked at Kevin. "Can we? We don't have anything scheduled for tonight."

Kevin sighed. "I thought you two would be tired and want to pass out. That's why we didn't schedule anything."

We both pouted at him, and he groaned and batted his hand at us. "Fine, fine. We'll go. Let's just get settled in first."

---

A/N: Italian is in Italics

"It's right here." Vinny said before I could, stopping in front of the shop.

"Is he even going to recognize us?" I wondered out loud. "I mean, he hasn't seen us since..." I looked at him. "Since when?"

Vinny thought for a moment, and his eyes widened. "Since the summer we were trying to lose weight."

I gasped. "That is kind of long. I don't think he's going to know who we are."

"We send Christmas cards." Vinny shrugged. He opened the door to the bistro.

There was no one in the store except for an older couple, both sipping espresso. I didn't see anyone at the counter until someone popped up from leaning down.

Taller. Longer, grey hair that was slicked black. Fit body for an older man, covered by a long-sleeved black shirt, slacks, and an apron.

Eyes that matched me and Vinny's shockingly blue color.

My heart lept into my throat. There was my grandpa.

He saw us and nodded, a small smile on his face. "Hello. What can I help you with today?"

He doesn't recognize us.

Vinny and I both stepped forward and slid off our sunglasses. "Hello."

He looked at us for a moment as we approached the counter. His eyes widened. "It can't be! Natalia and Vincent?"

I let out a relieved laugh. "Hi, grandpa."

He smiled and quickly came around the counter. "Come here come here!" He exclaimed, pulling us both into his embrace.

He took me by my shoulders first and looked at me. "Natalia Nicoletta! You are the most beautiful girl I've ever seen!" He kissed both my cheeks. "You are so stunning!"

He took VInny next. "You've grown so tall! And you're built like an ox!" he chuckled and kissed both his cheeks. "You're a chip off the old block." He smirked and let go of him. He looked at both of us now. "Why are you here? I didn't know you were coming! Your parents didn't tell me!"

"We're here for our job." I explained. I nodded to Kevin. "This is our manager, Kevin."

"Ciao." Kevin chuckled in shaky Italian.

"Hello." My grandpa said in English. He shook Kevin's hand and then looked back at Vinny and I. "You two are big stars now. I am so proud of both of you." He hugged us again. "We must catch up! You two are too skinny! When's the last time you've had an Italian supper?" He clapped his hads together. "I am going to cook you a dinner tonight. My house. We can catch up then."

"Okay." Vinny and I both smiled.

--

Later that night, we went back to my grandpa's loft above his bistro. Kevin let Vinny and I go alone, too. It felt so nice to be with family.

Our grandpa's home was chic but homey in a way. He had family pictures hanging around, yet he had designer furniture.

"I have a lasagna in the oven. You two are of age right?" Grandpa asked as he opened a bottle of wine. "You're in Italy, anyway, it doesn't matter."

"We're of age." Vinny laughed.

"I still get the wine from your father's side. Nice people." Grandpa poured glasses and handed me and Vinny each a glass. "White is my favorite."

"Ours too." I admitted, taking a sip of the white wine. It tasted like home.

"I haven't seen either of you for years! Well, in person, anyways." He smiled and nodded to the hallway. "Follow me."

We followed him to his den, where he picked through a DVD and CD cabinet. He pulled out our first album CD. "Your parents sent one to me." He smiled. "I listened to it. I do not know the other language you spoke, but I know the Italian and some English. You two are very talented." He chuckled. "And here we thought Natalia was going to be the doctor and Vincent was going to be the sports trainer for some professional football team."

The timer went off for the lasagna, so we followed him back into the kitchen.

"Here. We can help." I told Grandpa Marconi as I grabbed the salad bowl and Vinny grabbed the freshly baked bread.

We set everything on the dining room table and sat. Before we ate, we said Grace, something we rarely did anymore. It was nice to do it again, though.

Grandpa immediately cut us out two large slices of lasagna, and as soon as I took the plate from him, I knew I wasn't going to be able to finish it.

"So, how are Trevor, Kyle, Brett, and Madeline?" Grandpa asked as we ate. Our Uncle Steve was his son. "Is Madeline with you? I heard she was doing what you guys do."

"She just does the dancing." I explained. "And they're all fine. I saw Madeline just this past week. We had to go to LA for a performance."

"You guys fly a lot, don't you?"

Vinny nodded. "This was our third flight within a few weeks. It's not the best, but, I mean, it works."

"Time change is what kills us." I admitted.

Grandpa nodded. "And is Madeline still dating that... oh, what was his name? Taeyang?"

I smiled and nodded. "She is. Well, kind of. Long distance is hard."

Grandpa smirked. "And you two?" He looked at me. "You were dating that Top right? Have you been with anyone since?"

I shook my head. "It was just him. I haven't been with anyone since he and I broke up."

Grandpa shook his head. "I don't know why a man would break your heart. You're too perfect for any of them. Stay in Italy, and I will find you the perfect Italian man." He looked and Vinny. "And you and your girl? How are things?"

Vinny finished chewing his food before uncomfortably keeping his eyes on his plate. "Minzy and I, uh... we broke up."

"Really? There was nothing in the news." Grandpa shook his head, surprised.

"It's recent." I explained.

"Well, you stay in Italy with your sister, and I'll find you a nice girl." Grandpa shook his head. "I really did think those people made you happy. I never would have thought you would break up with either of them."

"They broke up with us." Vinny and I both said.

"Oh?" Grandpa set down his glass. "For what reasons?"

"Paparrazzi was too much." I shrugged, not inlcluding the part that TOP had started to smoke and drink again.

"Same." Vinny said simply. "But at least Nat still talks to Top."

"Oh?" Grandpa looked at me. "Why do you still talk?"

I shrugged. "He's my friend."

"They're actually doing a photo shoot at the end of the week." Vinny explained.

"Really? Why would you want to do a photo shoot with your ex-boyfriend?"

"I didn't have a choice." I sighed. "Me and him got chosen to be models for Dolce&Gabanna."

"Oh, that's so cool! An Italian brand, eh?" My grandpa beamed and took a drink of wine. "I am proud of you. And you know what? You and that Top look good together. It's funny. Between you and Vincent and Angelina, you all look good with someone who is Asian. And I've seen pictures of Kyoki and Yuki. My great-grandchildren are gorgeous."

"At least we look good together." I sighed. "Because that's the only reason why we're doing this."

Grandpa shrugged. "When I saw you two, I could see the chemistry just from pictures. Maybe this could refresh something." He smiked and nudged me.

I sighed and shook my head. "Grandpa, you don't know what you're talking about."