Sixteen

We Can Make This Work

"Why do we keep doing this?" I sighed as I laid back against the matress. I crossed one arm over my comforter-covered bare body. I used my other hand to wipe my sweaty hair away from my face. It was the day before TOP's movie premiere, and coming over for a glass of wine had, of course, turned into something more.

"Because it's fun." TOP replied simply with a groan, flopping back onto the bed as well.

I thought for a moment. "I know, but, still... We aren't together." I turned my head to look at him. "Should we be doing this even though we aren't together?"

TOP looked at me, then his side so he could face me. I could see drops of sweat on his bare chest. "Is it really bothering you that much? I don't see anything wrong with it. Why should dating be a factor?"

I groaned and covered my face with my hands. "I don't know! I just feel like this is wrong because we aren't dating and people who hook up should date but we don't want to get back together and that's good with me but what if there's someone else and-"

"Hey," TOP chuckled and stopped me. "Come here." He sat up so he could put his arm around me and pull me closed to him.  "We have a different relationship from anyone else. You can't deny it, either. Anyone who dates for over a year has some sort of connection. Yeah, we aren't dating, but who cares? Okay? I don't care. You shouldn't either."

I sighed and looked at TOP. We never really laid like this after hooking up. When we were dating, yeah, but now...

I finally put my hand on his chest, something I always used to do. 

TOP yawned. "You know... You can stay the night if you want to."

I shrugged. "I don't know... With Vinny in the state he's in, I don't want to leave him alone."

"He still unstable?"

I nodded. "He's messed up, dude. His sleeping patterns are out of wack. He'll wake up in the middle of the night and shower. Shower. When he does he says he woke up from a dream of Minzy, so he's trying to scrub away any memories." I shook my head. "It's messed up. She really did screw him up." I looked at TOP. "He's worse than how I was when we broke up."

TOP sighed. "Just... Make sure he doesn't drink, okay? He doesn't need to do what I did . He doesn't need to.... To hurt her. I don't want it to come to that."

I shook my head. "He isn't going to hurt Minzy. He loves her too much to even think about doing that."

"And you don't think I loved you as much? Alcohol does bad things to you, Natalia."

"I know, but-"

My phone started ringing, but I didn't know where it was. "Where did my jeans go?" I sighed, rolling over to the side of the bed.

"It's over here." TOP reached over on the other side. He handed me my phone. "It's Minzy."

I looked at the time. Why was Minzy calling me at one in the morning? "Hello?"

"Can you come get your brother?" Minzy sighed , sounding groggy. "He's been pounding on our door for the last hour ."

I sat up and clutched the sheets to my chest with one hand. "What? Why?"

"I don't know." Minzy sighed again. "He sounds drunk. The doorman must've let him up. CL and Bom tried talking to him but he won't listen."

"Have you tried talking to him?"

"I.... I can't see him, Natalia. Please come get him, okay?"

"Okay." I replied.  "I'm on my way." I hung up and found my bra and underwear on the floor. I quickly slid them on before getting up.

"Where are you going?" TOP asked me as I walked around his room, looking for my clothes.

"Vinny's drunk and pounding on Minzy's door I guess. I need to go get him." I found my shirt, but groaned when I saw that most of the buttons were ripped away. I held it up to show TOP. "Nice. Get me one of yours."

TOP found his own boxers, put them on, then walked over to his closet. He found a white button up shirt and tossed it to me.

I frowned. "White shirt and a black bra. Gee, thanks." I put it on and buttoned it up.

"You aren't going alone." TOP told me as he got dressed.

I looked at him. "I think I can handle it."

"Come on, Nat. Vin drunk? That's pretty much over 200 pounds of deadweight. You can't carry that on your own."

"Fine, but we're taking my SUV."

---

"Do you hear that?" I asked TOP as we made it down the hall to 2NE1's apartment. It sounded like Vinny, but...

God he was a horrible singer when he was drunk.

We turned down the right hall, and saw Vinny leaned forward against 2NE1's appartment door, every once in a while pounding on the door.

"Uri jeongmal saranghaetjanha. Dwi dolrilsun eoptneun geongayo" Vinny sang sadly as he pounded on the door once more, with less force.

"Is he singing It Hurts by 2NE1?" TOP asked quietly.

I frowned and nodded, watching my brother. "Neomu apa apa apa." He continued. He hit the door again. "Minzy, baby... please. I'm nothing without you, can't you see that? Haru jongil geudae moseup jakku tteo-olla. Onjongil olliji ahneun jeonhwagiman tto jyeodabwa." He hit the door again before falling to the ground. "I love you." he sang 2NE1's song I Love You, his voice cracking.

"Okay, let's get him." I sighed and ran over to my brother, TOP following close behind.

"Vinny." I said quietly, crouching down to my crying, drunk brother. "Hey. It's Natalia."

"I-I'm fine." Vinny insisted. He nodded to the door. "I'm just trying to talk to Minzy. She still loves me, you know."

"I know, buddy, but right now, she doesn't want to talk, okay?" TOP crouched down on his other side.

Vinny looked at TOP and whined. "You're here, too? God, I'm trying to get my girl back and the -buddies try and rescue me? Just leave me alone."

"Nope." I shook my head. I took the green bottle from his hand. "You've downed I-don't-know-how-many bottles of soju tonight. It's midnight. The girls are trying to sleep. You need to, too." I grabbed his arm and put it on top of my shoulders.

He stood with me really unsteadily, and as TOP reached out to help me, Vinny went practically limp, his head rolling, hitting my nose really hard.

"." I cursed, pushing his head away with my other hand, then clutching my own nose.

TOP took Vinny from me, then knocked on 2NE1's door. "Okay, Minzy, CL, Bom, or Dara. now we need in. Vinny just clocked Natalia in the nose with his head."

"I'm fine." I said through my bloody nose and hand.

The door opened, CL on the other side. Her face was bare from any makeup, and she looked so tired. "Come on." She croaked, stepping aside.

We stepped in, and Bom grabbed my arm and took me to the kitchen. We passed Minzy, and I did a double take when I saw her. "Minzy, did-"

"What's up with the bandage on your nose, babe?" Vinny slurred. I looked back when Bom and I stopped, and saw Vinny standing unsteadily, looking at Minzy. "Did you get your nose done? You were beautiful without getting it done."

"Now's not the time to discuss that." TOP said quietly, taking Vinny over to the couch.

"Did she get her nose done?" I asked Bom quietly as she handed me a wet wash cloth.

Bom nodded quietly. "That's why we haven't been doing anything this week. She needs a week of recovery." She looked at me. "Are you wearing one of Top's shirts?"

I ignored her and looked over at Vinny and Minzy. Vinny was passed out again, Minzy standing quietly next to CL.

"Is he okay?" CL asked TOP.

TOP sighed and nodded, looking at my brother. "Just really drunk." TOP looked at me. "I don't know if we can get him to your car, Nat. Hwang put more muscle on him so he weighs more."

"H-have him sleep here." Minzy said quietly.

We all looked at her. "W-what?" I asked after Bom handed me a bag of ice. 

Minzy nodded and timidly walked over to Vinny passed out on the couch. She looked back at me. "I did this to him, didn't I?"

I nodded without saying a word.

Minzy took a breath, then sat down. She looked at him. "Omo... did he drive here?"

TOP nodded. "I saw his car in the parking garage."

"He could have gotten hurt." Minzy mumbled. She looked at me. "I still care about him, you know. I still love him. I just can't take him going out with other girls."

"He's going to work on that, Minzy. But, right now, look at him. You made him into a wreck. I think one little issue didn't need you two to break up." I told Minzy.

Minzy looked at Vinny again, then pushed his sweaty hair back gently. Vinny immediately leaned into her touch. He let out some sort of grumble, then positioned himself to lay down on the couch, eyes still closed, his head in Minzy's lap. Instead of flinching away, Minzy kept her hand on the top of his head, his hair gently. She looked at me and TOP. "You guys can go. I-I can deal with this."

"You sure?" I asked, handing the bag of ice back to Bom.

Minzy looked down at Vinny and nodded. "I need to talk with him in the morning anyways."

TOP looked at me, then back at Vinny. "He's going to have a nasty hangover tomorrow."

"I've dealt with him getting drunk once before." Minzy smiled weakly. She looked at CL. "Can you bring the waste basket over here just in case? And some water and ibuprofen."

CL walked into the kitchen. I walked back over to TOP. "You sure you're okay, Minzy?"

She nodded. "Thank you both."

We said goodnight, then left. I sighed. "She really does love him."

TOP nodded in agreement. "I'm glad." He looked at me. "So you can stay the night now, right?"

I shrugged. "It kind of defeats the purpose now."

"What do you mean?"

I grabbed my keys out of my pocket and glanced at him. I sighed loudly. "Well, now since we have clothes on, it's pointless to take them all off. If we have clothes on, there's no way we can have morning ."

TOP laughed, then slipped his hand into my back pocket. "Oh, who said we were going to be clothed when we get back to my house?"