VIRUS [Part o8]

I'm Your Man

 

Nichkhun wasn't sure on what he was doing, or what he was about to do to be exact - but he still walked inside the small downtown cafe across the street, decked out in grey suit and black shades, his usual outfit when he has a meeting with a client. Only this time, it wasn't a business meeting he had set up or a potential client that he has to impress.
 
 
He was actually meeting his wife's lover, eye-to-eye, face-to-face - for the first time ever.
 
 
And there he was, already seated at the far end booth, drumming his fingers lightly on the wooden table while he waited for his lover's husband to join him. 
 
 
Nichkhun marched up towards where Gi Kwang was waiting for him with long, brisk footsteps. When he was about two feet away, the latter tore his gaze away from the glass panel and looked up at the taller man with an unreadable expression on his face.
 
 
"Sorry I'm late," Nichkhun apologised as he took a seat opposite of him and took off his shades. "Got held up in traffic."
 
 
"No problem," Gi Kwang replied coolly and reached out for his black coffee. "Nice ride by the way." He tilted his chin towards where Nichkhun had parked his white Jaguar. "The last time I had seen you, I don't remember seeing you with it."
 
 
Nichkhun let out a small laugh. 
 
 
"I just got a promotion. Thought it'd be a nice change, for Jiyoung too."
 
 
"I figured," Gi Kwang took a small sip of his drink. "Explains why she is still with you."
 
 
Nichkhun frowned slightly at the off-hand remark. "I'm not trying to buy her love, if that's what you mean. That's not how I do things."
 
 
Gi Kwang shrugged nonchalantly. "Sure, whatever you say. Why did you ask to meet me today, anyway?"
 
 
Nichkhun leaned forward in his seat and crossed his arms on the table. "I'll get straight to the point then."
 
 
"Better still."
 
 
"How badly do you love her, Gi Kwang?"
 
 
There was a moment of deafening silence. He held Nichkhun's gaze steadily, as he gently set his cup down back on the table and wrapped his two hands around it.
 
 
"Definitely a lot more, than you do - if you actually love her, that is," he added on after a second.
 
 
A small, knowing smile started to spread across Nichkhun's face slowly. 
 
 
"I knew you would say that. If you had the chance, will you take care of her well?"
 
 
Gi Kwang narrowed his two eyes into tiny slits. "That goes without saying. I'll make sure, she'll be much more happier with me, than she was ever with you."
 
 
Nichkhun nodded. "Thank you, Gi Kwang-ssi. That's all I needed to hear."
 
 
 
~
 
 
 
That night, Jiyoung was busy preparing dinner in the kitchen - for the first ever since she had gotten married; when she heard the front door being opened. She hurried to put on the finishing touches, and took off her apron to greet her husband back from work.
 
 
She approached him quietly from behind, and helped him with his coat - taking Nichkhun by surprise by her impromptu action.
 
 
"Oh, hey there," he said with a smile, as he turned around to face her. "What have you been up to?"
 
 
"Nothing much," Jiyoung returned his smile with one of her own and hung his coat on one of the hangers. "Just been doing some...experiment."
 
 
"I...see," he said slowly. "Well, it smells great, and I can't wait to taste it." Holding her face in both of his hands, he dropped a soft kiss on top of her head. "Just let me get out of these and take a shower, then we can test out your experiment, okay?"
 
 
"Sure," she grinned, and was about to retreat back to the kitchen but was stopped when Nichkhun held her back.
 
 
"Wait," he started. "You've...cut your hair."
 
 
"Yeah."
 
 
"I thought you love keeping it long?" he asked, a little confused.
 
 
Jiyoung look away guiltily. I do, but so does Gi Kwang. And he doesn't like short hair.
 
 
Forcing out a smile, she replied, "Just experimenting."
 
 
That caused Nichkhun to chuckle amusingly. "So, today's 'experiment day' huh?"
 
 
"You can say that."
 
 
 
~
 
 
 
"Thank you for dinner. I really enjoyed it. You should cook more often."
 
 
The two of them were sitting next to each other on the couch, enjoying some quality time while watching some random television shows.
 
 
Jiyoung blushed slightly at his compliment. "I'm glad you like it. And, I will."
 
 
Nichkhun side-eyed her, as he said his next few words carefully.
 
 
"I don't know if anyone's told you this before - but any man is lucky to have you by his side."
 
 
She didn't know what to say, or how she was supposed to react. She wasn't even sure on where the conversation was heading, but somehow, ironically - she was getting a very sick feeling about it. 
 
 
Nichkhun's tone was oddly serious, and she didn't like it one bit. She's never heard him used it before, and honestly, it was scaring her.
 
 
"And I feel like I'm the luckiest man in the world, right now."
 
 
She let him carry on talking, as though she hadn't heard him.
 
 
"At least, after this - I know that I had a chance with Kang Jiyoung, a life with you that it will always be a memorable part of my journey."
 
 
Quietly, he slipped his fingers in between hers and squeezed her hand gently.
 
 
"No matter what happens, I will always love you."