Broken Promise [Part 04]

I'm Your Man

 

“Excuse me!”

She bowed down her head apologetically and tried to bustle her way through the unusually packed crowd near the airport’s entrance. Clutching her sling bag tightly, Soo Young gave one final shove and heaved a huge sigh of relief when she eventually finds herself in the clear opening once again.

Rolling up the sleeves of her white dress shirt, her eyes wandered across the huge screen checking for the timings written on it. A smile spread across her face when she saw what she was searching for and excitedly, she starts to make her way towards the arriving hall.

A soft buzzing sound interrupted her thoughts. She reached down into her bag and pulled out her white iPhone gingerly.

Yah oppa,” she answered when she saw Doo Joon’s name flashing on the screen. “What is it?”

“Soo Young-ah,” Doo Joon’s distressed voice came over the phone. “I know you’re excited that Jun Ho’s coming home today. But couldn’t you have wait for me? We could’ve gone and pick him up together.”

“Ah, gwenchana,” she beamed happily, skipping lightly in her steps at the same time. “I’m already here. And he’s coming out in a few minutes time.”

“I doubt you’ll be this excited if it was me,” Doo Joon mumbled incoherently but she pretended not to have heard him. Nothing was going to ruin her mood. Jun Ho was finally coming home after 2 long years of waiting for him. The day that she has been waiting for since forever.

“Okay fine, just text me your location okay. I’m heading there soon.”

Arrasso. I’ll see you later,” she replied before ending the call. Sending a quick text to him, she slipped the phone back into her bag.

Soo Young blend herself in with the other families waiting for their loved ones to come out from the gates. She had to tiptoe and craned her neck just to make sure that she doesn’t miss Jun Ho.

Passengers started exiting one by one, greeted by their relatives warmly. Soo Young was starting to get anxious. Jun Ho was nowhere in sight. Could she have gotten the timing wrong?

Just then, she felt someone’s arm snaking around her waist from behind and a very familiar soothing voice whispering into her ear,

“Miss me?”

She whirled around in surprise and her face broke into a huge grin when she saw him standing there right in front of her. Throwing her arms around his neck, she hugged him as tightly as she could – causing Jun Ho to struggle trying to keep his balance.

“You’re here!” she breathed, tears of happiness b in her eyes. “You’re finally here.”

She heard him chuckling softly in her left ear.

“Yes, I’m here Soo Young-ah. And if you hug me any tighter, I think I’m going to have some difficulty breathing,” he joked.

She ignored his last statement and just continued to stand there, pulling Jun Ho even closer to her. She took in the fresh scent of his cologne; as though trying to really make sure it was really Jun Ho that she was holding in her arms. the back of his neck tenderly, she rested her chin on top of his shoulder and let out a small sigh.

“I’ve missed you so much Jun Ho-yah.”

Likewise, Jun Ho tightened his grip around her waist and held her firmly in his embrace. He pulled away slightly and placed a soft kiss on her forehead, letting his lips linger there for a few moments. Soo Young shut her eyes closed. It was really Jun Ho.

He has really come back.

“I’ve missed you too. A lot.”

 

“Both of you, too much PDA here!”

Both Soo Young and Jun Ho broke away from their moment and look up just in time to see Doo Joon walking towards them with a wide grin on his face.

He stretched out his arms towards Jun Ho and said, “Welcome back man. It’s good to have you back here again.”

Jun Ho smiled warmly as the elder guy pulled him in for a man to man hug.

“Thanks Doo Joon hyung. I’m definitely excited to be home again. Feels like I’ve been away for too long.”

Soo Young smiled to herself watching the short interaction happening between her boyfriend and her favourite cousin. As the two man pulled away from each other, only then did she noticed another tall figure standing quietly behind Doo Joon.

And it made her heart beat faster.

What was he doing here?

Doo Joon’s eyes fell on her faltered expression and he glanced over his shoulder knowingly. Sighing silently to himself, Doo Joon reached over and gave Dong Woon a gentle push.

“Jun Ho, there’s someone I’d like you to meet,” he began.

Oppa,” Soo Young cut him off quickly. “Is it really...?” her voice trailed off as she gave Doo Joon a sharp knowing look. The latter just shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. He didn’t really see any harm on letting the two men get to know each other.

Besides, he cared for both Jun Ho and Dong Woon equally; just like how he loves his little cousin. He wanted all of them to get along well and be comfortable with each other.

“This is Dong Woon, a very close friend of mine. He too, just like you, have finally returned to Seoul after pursuing his studies overseas. But he came back on the day you left. Dong Woon-ah, this is Jun Ho – the one that I’ve been telling you about,” Doo Joon turned towards the taller of the two and gave him a pointed look.

Dong Woon was quick to catch on as he plastered a friendly smile on his face while extending out his arm towards Jun Ho.

“Nice to finally meet you. Doo Joon hyung and Soo Younghas told me so much about you.”

Jun Ho took his hand and gave it a firm shake.

Jinjja? Soo Youngie,” he turned towards his girlfriend who was trying her best to keep her expression neutral. “You too? Did you bad-mouth me while I was away?”

A-anye!” Soo Young was quick to protest. “Why would I do that?”

Jun Ho let out a small laugh as he slung an arm casually across her shoulder.

Ara. I know you wouldn’t do that. Anyway, should we get going now? Maybe grab something to eat while we catch up with each other?”

“I have a better suggestion,” Doo Joon started, his eyes twinkling mischievously. “Why don’t we all go back to my house and have Soo Young cook for us dinner tonight?”

“Really? Soo Young-ah, I don’t want to get a stomach ache on my first day back here,” Jun Ho teased his girlfriend who in return shot him a murderous look.

“Okay! Alright, I’ll trust you,” Jun Ho held up his hands in surrender. “I’m sure whatever you’re going to cook will come out delicious anyway.”

“So it’s settled then,” Doo Joon clasped his hands happily. “Woonie, you’re coming along right?”

“Uh...I...” his eyes darted back and forth from Soo Young to Doo Joon hesitantly. “I don’t think...”

“Oh come on. It’ll be fun. And you should tell me some things about you too, since you’ve heard a lot about me,” Jun Ho punched him lightly on the arm.

Dong Woon look at Soo Young helplessly, knowing that her answer was the one that matters the most. If she wanted him to be there...

“Jun Ho’s right,” she said finally and gave him a small smile. “You should come along. There are going to be a lot of food anyway. It’ll be a waste if we can’t finish it right?”

“Okay, it’s decided then,” Doo Joon interrupted before either Dong Woon or Soo Young could change their minds. “Let’s get going now. Come Jun Ho, I’ll carry your suitcase for you.”

“Ah, it’s okay hyung. I can manage on my own.”

“No, let me. You just hold on to Soo Young’s hand and make sure she doesn’t wander elsewhere.”

 

*I have a feeling Broken Promise is the least supported story in this sixthology. But I just wanna say, this is actually my favourite sub-story out of the six. So, I might be kind of biased in updating. As for Amnesia & Going Crazy, I know they only have one chaps each. But it's harder getting inspirations for both of them :(