Virus [Part 04]

I'm Your Man

 

Ji Young woke up to the sudden brightness of sunlight rays shining down on her. She squinted and rubbed her eyes sleepily as she rolled over to her left side. Plucking up the bedside clock, her eyes widened when she realised she had slept past 10am.

But...what exactly happened the night before?

She brought up her left hand slowly; her wedding ring gleaming beautifully back at her. She hadn’t even bothered to take it off before going to bed – given that she was too exhausted from the whole ceremony.

But did they...?

Just then the bedroom door creaked open slowly and Nichkhun’s head popped in unexpectedly. A wide grin appeared on his face when he saw that she was already awake.

“Good morning beautiful. You’re finally up.”

Ji Young forced out a smile at her newly married husband.

“I’m sorry. I was really tired I guess.”

“No, it’s okay,” he told her easily and stepped inside the room, letting the door close by itself behind him. “We had to entertain a lot of guests yesterday. It’s only understandable that you sleep in today. So, how are you feeling?”

Ji Young’s eyebrows furrowed together in confusion.

“I am. Why shouldn’t I be?”

“Well, I was just wondering. Anyway, why don’t you take a bath now and come down after you get dressed? I’ll have breakfast waiting for you downstairs.”

Nichkhun gave her one last warm smile before turning around to exit the room.

“Uh, Nichkhun-ssi...”

His hand paused on the doorknob as he turned back around to face her slowly.

Neh?”

“I...uh...last night...” Ji Young’s cheeks flushed in embarrassment as she tried to get her question together but it was clear from her stammering, she was having a hard time doing so.

Nichkhun chuckled softly at her innocent reaction. He knew what she was trying to say but the moment was too priceless for him to interrupt.

“What is it Ji Young-ah?” he asked back amusingly.

“Well...you know when we went to sleep...Ah! Forget it!” she cried out, covering her face with both of her hands.

Nichkhun couldn’t hold it back any longer. Teasing his wife was so much fun; he should save it for some other time too.

“Ji Young-ah, go and take a shower now. I’ll meet you downstairs okay?”

She remained still in her position, probably feeling too awkward to face him at the moment. He shook his head slightly and turned the doorknob once again.

But before he stepped out of the room, he called out to her over his shoulder.

“By the way, I slept on the floor yesterday.”

 

About half an hour later, Ji Young walked down the stairs cautiously, dressed in a simple white cotton dress which reached down right above her knees; showing off her long milky white legs.

Her wavy, light-brown middle length hair was left uncombed, making it look messily pretty somehow.

Nichkhun, who was busy laying down the plates on the table, glanced up expectantly when he heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

It took awhile for him to regain his composure as he stared at his new bride in awe.

Ji Young was breathtakingly beautiful even at her simplest moment.

“Oh good! You’re ready,” he clasped his hands together as she neared the dining table. “Have a seat first. I’ll bring the juice out.”

He pulled out a chair for her and motioned for her to sit down on it. Ji Young set herself down carefully while her eyes wandered over the dishes laid on the table.

It was a classic English breakfast but did he really make it all by himself?

He walked out of the kitchen a few minutes later, carrying a jug of orange juice in his right hand.

Picking up an empty glass with his free hand, he poured her a drink and set it down next to her plate on the table.

“Go ahead, dig in,” he told her as he put the jug down on the table and pulled out the chair next to her for him to sit down on. “Let me know what you think.”

“Aren’t you going to eat too?”

“It’s okay,” he smiled, urging her on. “I want to know what you think of my cooking first.”

Slowly, she picked up her fork and picked out a small part of her food. She cast another uncertain glance at Nichkhun who was still smiling, watching her as she took her first bite hesitantly.

He waited for her to chew on it patiently, leaning in close unintentionally.

Ji Young swallowed it down and a smile spread across her face delightfully.

“It’s really nice. I didn’t know you are able to cook.”

“Really?” he grinned happily, pleased with her sincere compliment. “Well, if you like, there’s a lot more dishes that I can cook for you next time.”

Ji Young’s eyes widened in surprised.

“But isn’t that...supposed to be my job?”

“Ey,” Nichkhun waved his hand in dismissal. “There’s no such rule for me. Who says a husband can’t cook for his wife? Come, try this now.”

Taking the fork from her, he cut off a piece of the perfectly cooked egg and brought it up to .

“Say ahh.”

Her cheeks reddened at his sudden gesture but she did as she was told and part her lips slightly for him to feed her the egg.

Just then, she heard the familiar sound of her ringtone blaring out loudly from the bedroom. She stood up abruptly to get it, almost knocking Nichkhun over in the process.

“Oh! I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. Go answer it. It must be something urgent. He’s been calling you since early in the morning.”

Ji Young froze on the spot at Nichkhun’s sudden calm explanation. So he knew?

“Go ahead Ji Young-ah,” he smiled genuinely at her. “Don’t keep him waiting anymore.”

She bit her lip guiltily, unsure if she should still accept Gi Kwang’s calls. It doesn’t feel right but at the same time, she still misses him.

Without wasting a second more, she threw one last apologetic look at Nichkhun and dashed up the stairs, praying that Gi Kwang hasn’t hung up on her yet.