Virus [Part 02]

I'm Your Man

 

“That’s not a very nice joke to pull on me Ji Youngie,” Gi Kwang forced out a humourless laugh from the opposite side of where Ji Young was sitting. His two arms were propped up on the wooden table and he started to lean forward in his seat. The conversation has taken a very interesting turn all of a sudden.

Ji Young just stared back at him with expressionless eyes; keeping a straight face as she tried to show him how serious the whole situation was.

Again, he gave off that awkward chuckle.

“Yah Ji Youngie. You know I just joked about this with Yo Seob the other day. And he told me there’s no way...” but his voice trailed off when Ji Young let out an exasperated sigh.

“You’re serious...aren’t you?” he squeaked the words out, a lump forming in his throat. Slowly, he started to retreat back in his seat, bit by bit.

“Kwangie...” Ji Young called out to him softly, reaching out her hand to touch him but he yanked away before she could make contact.

“I’m so sorry. I really am. If there was any other way out of this...you know I would take it,” she said quietly, in her most regretful voice.

After what it seemed like eternity, Gi Kwang finally lifted up his head just to see her pleading eyes looking back at him; begging for his forgiveness and understanding.

But how could he? How could he make himself understand the fact that the love of his life was going to get married to another man in just a few weeks time?

“You can’t do this to me...” he whispered hoarsely, fighting back the tears which were already stinging in his eyes. “You cannot leave me behind like this.”

“Gi Kwang...”

Andwae!” he protested, putting much force into that one word; even surprising Ji Young at his sudden outburst. He had always been this patient, calm-headed guy; someone who has never raises his voice at anyone. Someone who never gets angry easily...

Ji Young took a deep shaky breath before she finally opened again.

Jebal, Kwang-ah...If we don’t do this...if I don’t do this today...I...I don’t want anything bad to happen to you...”

Without saying anything else, he bored his eyes right into hers; challenging her with the most intense stare he has ever given anyone. Ji Young held his gaze steadily, with much pain portrayed in her two childlike eyes. The moment of deafening silence between them was undeniable...until a familiar song blared out from her phone; interrupting the awkward stillness.

Ji Young took it out hastily from her bag and her heart sank when she saw the name flashing on the screen. Stealing a quick glance at Gi Kwang, who had a blank expression on his face, she slid the accept call icon.

“Hello?”

Uh, hello Ji Young. I....it’s me.”

Neh, Nichkhun-ssi,” she answered quietly and she saw Gi Kwang eyeing her curiously when she said the caller’s name. “What can I do for you?”

Did you forget that we’re supposed to meet today? We have the wedding photo-shoot scheduled today, remember?”

Ji Young gave herself a mental slap as she checked the time on her wrist watch hastily.

“You’re right. It totally slipped my mind. I’ll get going now.”

Wait. Where are you now? I’ll come and pick you up.”

She watches her unhappy boyfriend guiltily and cringed silently inside.

“I don’t think it’s necessary Nichkhun-ssi. I’ll just meet you there, okay?”

Alright then. I’ll wait for you here.”

“Arrasso,” she said before ending the call uncomfortably. her lips nervously, she racked her brain trying to find the perfect excuse for her to leave.

“Was that him?”

Startled, Ji Young gave him a confused look when realisation hits her.

“Oh, yes. That...that was him. Kwang-ah, I...I have to go now.”

“Where is he taking you?” he continued to ask her in a serious tone; something which Ji Young has hardly heard him use before this.

“I was supposed to meet him today...to settle some things. I’ll call you later okay?”

“You’re not going to come back Ji Young.”

Ji Young, who had started to stand up, froze halfway at Gi Kwang’s out-of-the-blue statement.

“Once you leave this place today, it’s as good as we’re never going to meet again.”

Gi Kwang’s sorrowful words drove a dagger right into her heart and twisted it painfully; so painfully until she felt as if she couldn’t breath anymore. She gripped the edge of the table to stop herself from falling over. Her knees felt weak suddenly and her mind was whirling around wildly.

Don’t say that please...”

He just stared back at her through those pair of distraught eyes; the hurt already enough to say the words that needn’t be spoken out at all.

 

 

Why are most of you silent readers? :(