Broken Promise [Part o9]

I'm Your Man

 

Among the midst of the bustling crowd, a lone figure sat by himself near the passengers’ waiting area. His neck was bent, head hung low as he traced his fingers over his passport’s cover.

 

As he flipped open the cover slowly, a thin piece of photograph fell out and dropped to the ground by his feet.

 

Junho bent down and reached out his hand to pick it up.

 

Almost immediately, he could feel his breath getting caught in his throat as he stared down at the smiling face of the girl inside the picture. She was blowing a kiss towards the camera, eyes crinkling at the sides and showing him the eye-smile he adored the most.

 

Junho clenched his jaw hard, trying to stop himself from crying out loud in public. He’s been doing too much of it lately and it made him emotionally drained out. It was hard, getting stuck in between like this – unsure if he should give them another chance or just simply let her go.

 

He can’t do neither. He’s just unable to do so.

 

Hence, he had taken the easiest way out of running away. He’s going to leave everything behind, every single memory that they have made together. It may seem like as if he’s letting Dong Woon go easy, but he’s just too disappointed by Soo Young’s betrayal to even put up a fight.

 

Yes, he’s weak. Yes, he should’ve fought for her. Yes, he shouldn’t just leave her for the second time without any explanation.

 

But to him, it seems like she’s made her choice clear.

 

And Junho just couldn’t bear to risk the chance again.

 

He let out a resigned sigh and checked the time on his wrist watch. His flight is going to take off soon, so he should get going already.

 

He stood up slowly, heart still heavy about leaving everything behind – leaving Soo Young behind.

 

But it’s for the best; he’s convinced that it is.

 

Just as he was about to take a step forward, he felt the vibration coming from his jeans front pocket. He hastily took his phone out and his heart sank when he saw Doo Joon’s name flashing on the screen.

 

He really didn’t want to, but somehow, his fingers just lightly brushed the answer icon and before he knew it, the phone was already pressed against his ear.

 

“Hello,” he said quietly.

 

He listened intently to what the person on the other end has to say. From a blank expression, Junho’s eyes widened and his face was now contoured with fear and anxiety.

 

“I’ll be right over.”

 

~

 

He reached Seoul National Hospital about 15 minutes later (and that was because he had told the cab driver to drive over speed limit). His heart was racing furiously as he hurried down the hallway, following the instructions Doo Joon had given him over the phone earlier.

 

He skidded to a stop when he finally reached the specific room. Instead of going in, Junho paused outside the door as he took a peek inside.

 

He saw Doo Joon pacing around the room restlessly, on one thumb while the other guy in the room (which was clearly Dong Woon, judging by the back figure), was seated by the bedside, the patient’s hair tenderly.

 

Unknowingly, his fists had already been balled up by his sides as he tried to calm himself down. He was here for Soo Young.

 

He had come by for her – for the only girl he would ever love.

 

Doo Joon, finally realising his presence, walked over towards him and pulled him in for a hug.

 

“I’m glad you haven’t left yet. Thank you, for coming.”

 

He saw Dong Woon whirling around in surprise, probably expecting for him not to have dropped by.

 

“What happened?” Junho asked grimly, totally ignoring his rival’s existence in the room. “What happened to Soo Young?”

 

“Come here,” Doo Joon said, gesturing for him to come in. At the same time, he shot Dong Woon a look, which caused the latter to unwillingly stand up and stepped aside for Junho.

 

“I don’t exactly know what happened,” Doo Joon continued. “I got a call, saying my little cousin had gotten into an accident. Soo Young is a careful driver. Something must’ve distracted her so badly.”

 

Junho swallowed hard, knowing he was the distraction that caused her to be lying down on the hospital bed, with all the wires attached to her hand, arms and nose. It broke his heart, seeing her in that kind of depressing situation. He knows just how much she hates getting injections and her blood drawn out.

 

And now, she must be in so much pain – just that she wasn’t awake to complain.

 

He trudged over slowly, before dropping down on the chair in a dejected manner. For a moment, he did nothing but just stared. He just simply looked at her, all different kinds of emotions crawling up to him.

 

But as he took her fragile hand in his, he pushed away all the angry and disappointed thoughts. And all that was left – was his love for her.

 

His undying love for her.

 

“She was awake for a brief second earlier and mumbled your name, before slipping into unconsciousness once again,” he heard Dong Woon speaking up quietly from behind.

 

Junho didn’t say anything.

 

Instead, he brought up her hand and pressed it against his lips gently.

 

“I’m here,” he said in a cracked voice. “I’m here, Soo Young. Open up your eyes and look at me, please.”

 

“I’m so sorry,” he whimpered, as a tear slid down his face and dripped onto her hand. “I’m sorry for not listening, I’m sorry for pushing you away, I’m sorry for being so weak...”