Broken Promise [Part 02]

I'm Your Man

 

“Why did you have to drag me all the way here in this kind of weather?” Soo Young grumbled unhappily as Doo Joon continued tugging at her arm; pulling her along towards a well-renowned cafe in the area. Skidding to a stop, she pulled her arm away from his grasp and wrapped the well-padded jacket around her tightly.

Yah, oppa! Who is this friend of yours that is so important for me to meet? Couldn’t you have just gone by yourself?”

Scratching the back of his head sheepishly, Doo Joon placed one hand on his hip and stared at her in disbelief.

“Didn’t you agree to this yourself? You said you would accompany me!”

“Well yes. But I had no idea it would be far out here,” Soo Young complained as her teeth continued to chatter miserably. “I’m going home right now oppa. I’m sorry but I’m just not in the mood suddenly.”

“Soo Young-ah! Hajima,” Doo Joon protested and started to take a step closer towards her. “Where are you going? Come back here.”

Shaking her head stubbornly, she backed a few steps away from him; determined to get away as soon as possible.

“I’ll see you at home later, okay?” she raised her voice slightly so that she could be heard above the gush of wind. “Have fun!”

“Wait! Stop right there Soo Young!”

“Huh?” but before she could ask anything else, she felt herself bumping into someone hard from behind. Really hard, that it made her think back about the previous incident which had happened about a week ago.

It was like déjà vu and everything happened in an instant.

Soo Young felt herself tumbling backwards as she lost her footing, her arms flailing wildly as she tried to balance herself. She saw Doo Joon rushing forward to catch her but someone else had already beaten him to it.

His built arm s around her waist impulsively, safely guarding her before she could hit the ground. As a result, both of them fell at the same time; but her weight was cushioned by the stranger’s body.

Never in her life, had Soo Young felt anymore embarrassed than how she was feeling right at that moment. Her cheeks flushed a deep shade of red as she scrambled to get up on her two feet. Doo Joon came forward and offered his hand out to her. She grabbed it gratefully as he pulled her up carefully.

“I told you to wait didn’t I?” he chided her lightly, shaking his head amusingly at her.

Dusting off the dirt from the hem of her jacket, Soo Young quickly straightened down her clothes and rubbed the back of her pants for any other excess of dust.

“Well, you could’ve given me a better warning.”

Doo Joon couldn’t help the grin which had already started to spread across his face. Soo Young on the other hand, was not pleased being laughed at when she had just experienced one of her most humiliating moments ever.

“Yah oppa! What is so funny?” she asked, smacking him lightly on the arm.

“I should’ve taken a picture of that and send it to Jun Ho later. He would get a really good laugh out of this.”

That earned him a harder smack on the shoulder from the mortified girl.

“Don’t you dare.”

He held up his hands in defeat and burst out laughing immediately.

“Okay, I won’t. Soo Young-ah, you should’ve seen your face.”

She narrowed her eyes disapprovingly at him and gritted her teeth in anger.

“Not funny oppa.”

Someone cleared his throat uncomfortably from behind and only then did both of them realised there was another presence there with them. In fact, Doo Joon’s smile widened when he saw who the stranger Soo Young had ‘bumped’ into was.

“It’s a good thing you crashed into him. He’s probably one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet and he won’t bear a grudge. Isn’t that right Woonie?”

The tall figure let out a soft chuckle as he nodded his head in agreement.

“Of course I won’t Doo Joon hyung. And anyway, this wasn’t the first time too.”

Soo Young’s anger was washed away momentarily when she heard the stranger spoke. Her hand which was inches away from pinching Doo Joon on the arm hard, froze in midair. It was only that one time but was it possible she remembered how his voice sounded like all the same?

Turning around slowly in her spot, she prayed that it wouldn’t be who she thought it was. But when she came eye to eye with that insanely gorgeous foreign face, she felt her heart beating twice its normal speed. It was crazy but it was real.

Annyeong!” he greeted her cheerfully and raised his right hand up to give her a small wave. “I see that we’ve met again.”

Doo Joon’s head whipped back and forth from his friend to his cousin with a confused look on his face.

“Wait, you guys know each other?”

The younger guy laughed a little at Doo Joon’s bewilderment and he just shrugged casually. Shoving his two hands into his faded jeans pockets, he let out a small sigh with his gaze still fixed on Soo Young’s perplexed expression.

“Well, kind of but not really. We met last week, when I’ve just arrived here in Seoul at the airport. And the way we met was actually same as today. She wasn’t watching where she was walking and literally knocked into me who was wandering around aimlessly.”

“Ah,” Doo Joon nodded in understament. “I see it now. Yah Soo Youngie, I’ve always told you to be careful right?”

When she didn’t even blink her eyes in response, Doo Joon snapped his two fingers in front of her face to get her attention.

“I think she’s still too shocked seeing a handsome man like me for the second time,” the guy whom Doo Joon had called ‘Woonie’ joked lightly, taking a step closer towards the pair of them.

At the last resort, Doo Joon gave his cousin a hard shove, causing Soo Young to snap back to her reality.

“W-what is it oppa?” she asked in surprised. When she realised the other guy had suddenly stood closer to them, the distinctive blush crept up on her face once again.

“Here, let me introduce you to my good friend who has finally returned back to Seoul,” Doo Joon told her and gave her a light push forward. Her face was now just a few inches away from the guy’s chest and Soo Young made a mental note to kill Doo Joon when they get home later.

“Dong Woon-ah, this is my little cousin, Park Soo Young. Dongsaeng-ah, this is my good friend, Son Dong Woon. Now I know you guys have met in the most awkward situation ever, but I want you to start afresh right here right now.”

“Hello,” he greeted her again, this time in a slightly lower voice than before; which sounded a little too deep for her. And weirdly, it was making her kind of uncomfortable.

Soo Young forced herself to lift her head up and looked at him straight in the eye. And his eyes, those deep-set eyes; they were almost hypnotizing.

“Uh..a-annyeong,” she managed to squeak the words out finally. “S-sorry about that by the way.”

Gwenchana,” he said softly, smiling down at her. “I actually love bumping into you.”