Broken Promise [Part 03]

I'm Your Man

 

“Tell me your interests.”

She calmly took a sip of her iced latte as she flipped on to the next page of the book she was reading; totally ignoring the male figure sitting in front of her. Her eyes read every word written on the page mesmerizingly, and she smiled to herself when she found a line that cracked her up.

He smiled along with her without being asked to. He couldn’t help it. Her smile was contagious.

He leaned in forward in his seat and shoved his face directly in front of hers. Like it or not, she had no choice but to look up at him in annoyance.

“What?”

“Took you long enough to finally look at me,” Dong Woon joked lightly, the grin on his face getting wider. “Why are you ignoring me like this?”

Soo Young let out a soft frustrated sigh as she blew the bangs out of her face.

“I’m trying to do some reading here,” she shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. “And you were the one who came here, uninvited.”

“True enough,” Dong Woon nodded his head thoughtfully. “But you have to give me some credits for that. I’m just trying to know you better.”

“There’s nothing to know about me,” she replied simply and went back to reading her book.

Dong Woon just shook his head in amusement and started to take out the neatly wrapped present which he had cleverly hidden behind him.

“Soo Young-ah...”

She pretended not to hear him. He decided to try again.

“Soo Young-ah...” he cooed out cutely.

That got her attention.

“What is it now?” she sighed tiredly.

“Happy birthday!” he exclaimed, pushing the medium-sized box towards her.

Her eyes widened in surprise as she took in the scene before her. He watched her expression changes from shock to pleased and finally reluctance.

“I...I can’t accept this,” she said hesitantly and pushed the present back towards him. “Thanks...but no thanks.”

Dong Woon felt his heart sinking with disappointment. He had a hard time picking out the perfect one for her. Couldn’t she humour him just this once?

“Soo Young-ah...”

“I’m sorry,” she cut him off abruptly as she shut her book close and threw it into her sling bag. Taking the cup of latte in her right hand, she got up from her seat and gave him an apologetic look.

“The gesture was nice and all but...I really can’t. Sorry, but I have to go now.”

He started to stand up too and made a move to grab her hand.

“Soo Young, jamkkan man.”

She tried to wriggle her hand free out of his grasp but he held on tightly to her.

Hajima...” she said quietly. “Don’t do this.”

“Give me a chance Soo Young.”

Andwae,” she shook her head stubbornly. “I’m serious Dong Woon. Let me go.”

“What if I don’t want to?” he challenged her evenly.

Soo Young lifted up her head and stared into his deep set eyes disbelievingly. She’s tried so hard on her own part. Couldn’t he see that this was tearing her apart badly?

Just then, she felt her phone vibrating from inside of her bag. She took the chance to yank her hand away from his grip and took it out hastily. She nearly cried out of happiness when she saw who the text message was from.

Jagiya, saengil chukha hamnida! I’m so sorry I can’t be there by your side to celebrate your 19th birthday with you. But...just wait a few more months for me Soo Youngie. I promise I’ll be back with a huge surprise for you. And after than, I’m never leaving you again. Saranghae-yo!”

She bit her bottom lip hard to stop herself from crying out loud. She couldn’t let her tears flow right there in front of Dong Woon.

God, she had missed Jun Ho so much. She just wanted to hug him right at that very moment; to hear him whispering soft words of encouragement into her ear. She just wanted to bury her face into his chest and pour everything out to him.

She wanted to say how sorry she was to him.

How sorry she was for even thinking about it.

“Soo Young...” his low voice interrupted her thoughts and made her snap back to reality.

She quickly wiped the tears away from the corner of her eye with her thumb. Sniffing a little, she straightened her posture and looked directly into his eyes bravely.

“I told you...I can’t. So stop, just stop this. I’m not going to leave him. Never.”

And with that, she her heels and walked out of the restaurant; walked away from him without another glance back.

Dong Woon dropped both hands to his sides dejectedly as he stared at the present left behind on the table. He picked it up sadly and clutched on to it tightly. The conversation he had with Doo Joon a few days ago came rushing back to him.

“Do yourself and her a favour – forget these feelings you have for her,” his hyung had advised him. “She’s already in love with someone else...someone whom she has planned a future with. Just take it that you guys aren’t meant to be. Move on Woonie.”

Dong Woon closed his eyes for a moment as he rubbed his temple tiredly. Doo Joon was right; Soo Young had every right to be mad at him.

But even so, he couldn’t let go of these feelings for her. He’s fallen for her hard. Something which he just couldn’t undo no matter how badly he wanted to.

He would just have to fight for her.

May the best man wins.