Birthday

His and Her Circumstances

November 12th, Dara’s birthday. My heart’s racing, Jiyong thought. All of the preparations were done; he bought the tickets and picked the song. He looked into the mirror, okay, looking good. Ah, I’m so nervous, he thought checking himself over and over again. He was wearing a white button down shirt, dark blue cardigan, sunglasses, black jeans, and white high top sneakers. He fixed his hair, grabbed his phone, tickets, and wallet, then he left his room.

“Jiyong, where are you going?” his mother asked.

Jiyong stopped in his tracks… “Uh…I’m going to go hang out with some friends,” he said. Well, I mean, I am hanging out with a friend…girlfriend…yeah…whatever.

“Oh okay, have fun,” replied his mother.

He smiled and left.

They agreed to meet at the subway station at 9 am, he looked at his watch, It’s already 9:15, where is she? He thought worriedly.

“I’m so sorry! I accidently missed my bus and kept going the wrong way,” said Dara as she was running towards him. She stopped right in front of him trying to catch her breath, “I’m really sorry.”

Jiyong turned away from her and replied, “It’s okay, the amusement park won’t close down if we’re late.”

Is he mad? Thought Dara worriedly. This morning she accidently woke up late, and it took her a while to get ready even with CL’s help. CL had her wear another dress, but this time it was a dark blue casual dress. The top of the dress had thin straps and a V-neck, at the waist there was a thin black belt, and the bottom of the dress was just above her knees. She wore a white cardigan, black leggings, and white high tops with the dress. “I’m really sorry!” she apologized again as she grabbed his arm. She tugged on his arm only to reveal his blushing face.

She is breathtaking, even when she’s running through a subway. Perhaps even more so now because she’s running towards me. “It’s really fine, you look very pretty,” he said as the blush on his cheeks slowly disappeared.

She laughed out of nervousness, pretty? She fiddled with the butterfly necklace again, “Thank you…haha…we really do think alike. Look we’re in couple clothing even though we didn’t even plan it!”

Jiyong looked at his clothes then looked at her and smiled, “I guess we’re just meant to be together then,” he said with a wink. “And, happy 17th birthday Dara.”

Dara smiled brightly, “thank you…and don’t forget that you promised to pay for everything,” she said with her tongue stuck out.

His eyes fell onto the butterfly necklace…butterfly…he shook off the thought, “you’re wearing that necklace again, it must be special…”

Dara’s eyes widened then looked down at her shoes, “Yeah, someone really important gave it to me.”

“Oh,” he replied shortly. “Shall we go?”

“Yeah,” she said as she clutched her bag.

He took her hand and they were on their way.


Entering the amusement park they were immediately overwhelmed by all of the people and rides.

“Wah! I don’t know what to go one first!” said Dara, oooh roller coaster! “Let’s go on the roller coaster first!!”

Jiyong looked at her in horror, roller coaster???

Dara noticed the look of despair on his face, “You don’t like roller coasters?”

“No, that’s not it….” He said unconvincingly.

“We don’t have to go…” she said sadly, I can’t force him to go on something he doesn’t want to…plus it’s not fun if I’m the only one enjoying myself…

She looks so sad, Jiyong thought. He took a gulp of air, come on Kwon Jiyong, be a man! “No, let’s go. It’s your birthday, we’ll go on whatever you want,” he said with a grin.

“Yaaaay! Let’s go!” she said enthusiastically as she led the way.


“Pfft, your face is priceless,” laughed Dara. They had just finished riding and were looking at the photos from the ride. Dara had both of her hands up with a huge smile on her face. Jiyong, on the other hand, was gripping onto the safety bar and looking like he was about to cry in the picture. “haha, this is too good, I need to get a copy!” she said as she started to pull out her wallet.

Her happiness is the most important, right? Even if it’s at my own expense… “excuse, can I buy a copy of that picture?” Jiyong asked as he pulled out his wallet. Dara looked up at him in surprise, "I told you I'd pay for everything," Jiyong said with a wink.

“Right away sir,” replied the worker.

“Wah! So cute! Thank you. I’m definitely going to show everyone at school on Monday!” said Dara.

“You wouldn’t dare! Come here, I need to return that photo! Hey, don’t run away from me! Get back here,” teased Jiyong as he ran after Dara. Eventually he caught up to her, “Haha, I caught you,” he said as he hugged her from the back.

Dara clutched the photo to her chest, “Fine, I won’t show them this photo, but let me keep it!”

“Aigoo, fine” he said as he tussled her hair trying not to mess it up too much. I can’t win against her, plus…it’s not like I can actually return it now… “What do you want to go on now?”

Dara smiled and looked up at him, “I want to go on that one!” she said pointing to another ride.

“Haha, then let’s go,” he said unwrapping himself from her, he took her hand and this time he was the one leading. She didn’t even reject my hug. Progress!

They went on a couple more rides before Dara’s stomach gave in. Grrrr her stomach grumbled. She laughed nervously hoping he didn’t hear her.

He chucked, “Hungry? Let’s go eat,” he suggested as he started walking towards the food court. “What do you want to eat?”

Oh, right! Dara remembered, “I actually brought lunch for us…since you already spent so much money…sorry…so I made lunch boxes for us,” she said smiling as she pointed to her bag.

“So that’s why you had such a large bag,” Jiyong laughed. Homemade lunch? This is awesome!

They went to a patch of grass where Dara laid out a small blanket for them to sit on. From her bag she took out two lunch boxes. “Ah, this one is yours,” she said shyly. “I don’t cook very often, but I hope it tastes okay.” She handed him one of the boxes and a set of chopsticks.

Jiyong opened it. The lunch box was pretty simple. It contained a couple of rice balls and a few side dishes included rolled eggs, two types of kimchi, and a couple pieces of fried chicken. “This looks amazing, and I bet it tastes just as good. Jal meoggessseubnida,” he said as he dug in. Wah, this reminds me of my childhood. How does she know all of my favorite foods? Even the kimchi is my favorite types. “This is really good,” he sincerely said.

Dara smiled in relief, “That’s good.”

The two ate their lunch and continued on walking around the amusement park and riding rides. Next thing they knew it the sun was about to set, “there is one more ride that I want us to go on,” said Jiyong. He then pointed at the Ferris wheel.

“I guess I should let you pick at least one ride that we go on,” she said sarcastically. Ferris wheel? Where the two of us will be in an enclosed space together? What do I do?

When they were in the booth they couldn’t even look at each other. There they were, sitting three feet from each other in a glass capsule.  I’m getting really nervous, can I do this? Thought Jiyong. He couldn’t even look at her face, breathe! You’ve totally prepared for this, you can do this.

He took out his phone and played the instrumental track. Dara jumped at the sudden sound of a guitar and looked at him. He smiled and started singing:

It’s all about you, my butterfly

 

Every time I come close to you

(Every time I’m feeling you)

Feel like I’m gonna dream every time

(I get butterfly)

 

(check it) I inadvertently look at the sky like

It looks so similar to your smile

It’s exceptionally dazzling ooh baby

My day consists of our romantic drama

It makes me cry and smile (no, no, no)

I can’t fall asleep (I try calling your name)

You shyly turn your head away (No matter what)

I like you this way, but I don’t know how to start this off

(You don’t know how much I love you)

 

Every time I come close to you

(Every time I’m kissing you)

Feel like I’m gonna dream every time (hey girl)

(I get butterfly)

 

(Beautiful girl)

I inadvertently look at the ground like

Your name, those three letters

It makes me so flustered ooh baby

Your small wounds

I’ll heal them for you

(With) My love for you, oh (every time)

Yo, you’re like a butterfly

Flying around searching for flowers, like a child (With purity held in your eyes, no matter what)

(Yea) Your light gestures

The twinkle in your eyes

Look what’s happened to me (You’re the only one girl, one love, one life, yea)

 

(I got you)

 

Every time I come close to you

(Every time I’m holding you)

Feel like I’m gonna dream every time

(I get butterfly)

 

All your promises to yourself make me worried

Just another days, it’s all the same, why’s it so complicated?

Though you don’t trust guys (why?)

Love can be forever (right)

Why do you push and pull

Can’t you try to be more honest? (try)

Look into my eyes-you see my eyes, see my lips, you listen to my heart

(listen)

If you can hear me, answer me; kiss my cheek and heart, (it’s a) natural high

(Ooh-wee) Yea, that’s we, all I’m saying is

If we’re filled with excitement

(Then) We, never, ever will break up

Trust me I’ll make love with you

 

(Sing it)

 

Every time I come close to you

(Every time I’m feeling you)

Feel like I’m gonna dream every time

(I get butterfly)

 

Yea, you’re special to me

Butterfly

It’s your turn

(La la la, la la la la)

Yea, my butterfly

 

The song ended, and Jiyong smiled, “Happy Birthday Dara, this is my gift to you.”

Dara was in tears, “Darn it Jiyong, I’m ruining the makeup that CL did for me.”

He let out a light laugh, “You look beautiful with or without make up. Happy Birthday, my butterfly.”

This just made Dara cry even harder, 11 years later and he still calls me a butterfly. Stop, please Jiyong. I’m so close to falling in love with you again. Please, I don’t know if I can do this.

Jiyong kneeled in front her and gently removed her hands from her face and wiped her tears. “It’s your birthday, so please don’t cry,” Jiyong begged.

Hiccup. Dara looked into his eyes, “I’m just so happy, this is the best birthday in my life,” she said with a smile. Hiccup.

Jiyong smiled in relief, “Of course, you're my one and only girlfriend. How else would it have gone?”

Girlfriend…just because of contract. He’s only doing this because of a contract…I can’t be the only one falling, thought Dara sadly. “The song was beautiful, I loved it.”

“Haha, and that’s not the end of our birthday date. We need to go to one more place,” Jiyong said. They had reached the bottom of the wheel. He took her hand in his and helped her out of the capsule. They left the amusement park and headed towards the school. And no matter how many times she asked or how she asked him where they were going he wouldn’t tell her.

“Come on Jiyong, just tell me. Where are we going?” she asked while giving him puppy eyes.

“Nope, still not telling. It’s a surprised,” Jiyong smirked.

All of a sudden they stopped and Jiyong turned to here, “Do you trust me?”

Before she was even able to process what he said, she replied, “yes.”

“Okay, close your eyes,” he said. Once she followed what he asked, he moved behind her and covered her eyes with his hands, “I trust that you’ll keep your eyes closed, but just in case. Okay just keep walking forward.”

His hands are so warm, she thought as he felt his hands on her face. I don’t know what would happen if I lost this warmth…

After a few minutes they entered a shop, he sat her down in a chair. It smells really good in here. Where are we?

“Okay, you can open your eyes now,” he said.

Dara opened her eyes and saw a strawberry cake that had “Happy Birthday Dara.” Dara felt the tears coming to her eyes.

“Happy Birthday, remember this place?” Jiyong asked.

Dara looked away from the cute cake and looked around the shop. She gasped, “this is the cake shop we went to before.”

“Yeah,” Jiyong smiled, this is the first time we talked to each other about our relationship. The beginning of our relationship.

“I don’t know how I could ever top what you did for me,” Dara said in awe, “darn and it’ll be a while until your birthday passes.”

This surprised Jiyong, “You know when my birthday is?”

“Yeah, it’s on August 18th,” Dara said.

She even knows my birthday, Jiyong thought happily. Will we still be together when my birthday finally rolls around? “Yup, so are you going to blow out the candles or not?” he teased.

Dara laughed, I wish that maybe this time Jiyong will fall for me too. That I’ll at least be a girl in his eyes. She blew out the candles.

“What did you wish for?”

“Not telling, keke.”

He laughed, “let’s dig in then.” He took a fork and took a piece and held it in front of .

“You’re not feeding me, are you?”

“Yup, and you better enjoy it,” Jiyong replied.

“Hmph, only since it’s my favorite,” said Dara as she leaned forward and at the piece of cake. He’s so cheesy, but it’s so sweet. Wah, this cake is even better than how I remembered it.

"Aw, my ssantokki," said Jiyong as she watched Dara eat.

"Stop calling me ssantokki!" Dara pouted and Jiyong only laughed.

They continued to eat the cake until they were full. After they left the shop they started walking home. Well, to Dara’s house. Jiyong insisted on walking her until he saw that she made it safely home since it was already dark. They were a block away from her house when they stopped and looked at each other. For the entire way back they had been holding hands, and neither one of them wanted to let go.

“I…um…guess this is where we part,” Dara said still not letting go of his hand.

“Yeah,” Jiyong said sadly.

“I will never forget this birthday, ever,” she said as she looked up at him.

“You better not,” he teased. He let go of her hand. Man, I already miss the warmth of her hand.

No, the warmth is gone, she thought.

But then, he placed his hands on her shoulders and leaned forward.

Dara’s eyes widened, what is he doing? Ba-dump ba-dump ba-dump. Don’t tell me…is he going to kiss me?

Jiyong leaned forward and lightly kissed her forehead, I can’t do anything more than this…He stepped away and took his hands off of her. “I’ll see you at school,” he said with a smile.

Dara blinked a few times and saw him turned and walk away. She opened , “All you’ve been doing today is giving. Even though it’s my birthday, I should still give you something in return,” she said.

Jiyong turned around when he heard her talk, what? Next thing he knew he felt her hands on his cheeks. She looked him in the eyes before closing them and kissing him on his right cheek.

She stepped back in embarrassment of her bold move. That’s for all of those years ago.

Jiyong blushed, she kissed me? What?

“You said in your song, that if I could hear you that I answer with a kiss to your cheek, and so I did. My answer is ‘thank you for everything’.” Dara smiled.

That wasn’t supposed to be literal! “You’re welcome,” he replied coolly. “I’ll see you at school, you should head home. Bye.”

“Bye bye,” she waved as she turned and walked home. I’ll call CL later and let her know…well maybe not the kiss part…that’s too embarrassing.


On Monday at school the couple felt even more awkward. They kept remembering what happened on Saturday on their date. Her lips were so soft against my cheek, Jiyong kept thinking.

My forehead still remembers the warmth from his lips, thought Dara blushing.

Is Dara not telling me something??? Thought CL, she noticed that the two of them were different. Not necessarily a bad different, but they both kept blushing when they met the other’s eyes.

“Ahem,” Teacher Yang cleared his throat, “Class is starting now, get to your seats! We have a new student today. Maybe some of you know her, she used to live here about 10 years ago.”

Ten years ago?? Both Jiyong and Dara’s heads turned to the front of the classroom.

“This is Ahn Sohee, she’ll be transferring into our class today, please come in,” said Teacher Yang as he motioned for the girl to come into the classroom.

“Ah, hello, my name is Ahn Sohee, please take care of me,” the girl said with a bow.

Sohee is here?? Dara thought frantically.

Sohee stood up straight again and her eyes landed on Jiyong, “Ji!! It’s been so long since I’ve seen you! I missed you! Remember me?”

 

 

A/N: Hello! New Chapter! I am on a roll! Maybe because I don't want to think about school yet >.< Anyways thanks for reading, subscribing, and commenting. Hope you enjoy this chapter! :D

Ahn Sohee is back. Does Jiyong remember her? And will this change Dara and Jiyongs relationship? Until next time! :D