Ch. 49: The White Snow

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

            Two days later, Taecyeon is discharge from the hospital. The family and friends enter the Ok’s house. The moment Taecyeon take the first step into the house, he stop and looks at the frames of his mom and him when he was a little kid hanging on the wall. Yoona turn and looks up at him.

           “You still have these pictures?” Taecyeon asked he walks up to the first picture of his mom smiling in the garden they used to have in the back.

           “Yes. I keep them in a safe place.” Said Mr. Ok.

            Taecyeon gritted his teeth as he walks down the hall, looking at every pictures hanging on the walls. Yoona warmly smiles as she held his hand tightly.

             “I’m gonna drop the bag off in my room.” Said Taecyeon to her.

             Yoona nodded and he walks up the stairs to his room.

             “I’m going to prepare lunch. Everybody must be hungry by now.” Said Mrs. Im before she leaves to the kitchen.

             The door closed, everybody was in the living room watching TV and reading magazine. Yoona helps her mom prepares the foods while Suzy talks with her uncle over the phone. Yuri sat on the couch with Seulong and watches TV with him. 30 minutes have passed and Taecyeon is still not down from his room. Yoona watches her hands and walks up the stairs to his room. She grab the doorknob—twist it downward and push forward. She sees him sitting on the floor, facing his balcony—resting his back against the bed as he hold on to the frame. Yoona walks into the room—to the other side of the bed and sit beside him. Without saying a word, she rest her head on his should. The room was quite as both looks out the full length window to the beautiful blue sky. It was peaceful.

             Taecyeon reach his hand over for her, he hold it up to his lip and peck it softly. Yoona smiles as she looks at him. She traces her hands over his forehead—down his nose, and then to his cheeks. Uncontrollable tears of happiness glides down her cheek as she looks into his eyes. Taecyeon wipe the first tears away. He move closer and kiss the second teardrop.  He part away a little—take a moment to look into her eyes. He lower his head and capture her lips tenderly and passionately.

             “Taecyeon! Yoona! Mr. Ok want you two down there. We need to discuss about Taecyeon trip to Europe.” Said Seulong loudly as he walks up the stair and stop in front of Taecyeon. He eyes widen in shock with smiles across his face. “Oh mianhe.”

             Yoona break the kiss, and shyly looks away with the back of her head facing Seulong.

             “We’ll be down there in a minute.” Said Taecyeon

             “Okay.” Said Seulong before he leave with the excited smiles.

             Yoona chuckles a little with her hand at her lip. “Why do we always get caught in a moment like this?” She joking speak. “It seem as if he have telepathy and can hear what we are doing from downstairs.”

             “Maybe.” Taecyeon said as he put the frame on the nightstand. He turn and look at Yoona again—holding her hands, he help her up.

             They walks down to the living room together, hand-in-hand. The couple take a seat in the double couple by the fireplace.

             “I talk to my uncle already. He said he want you over there as soon as possible. I’ve told him you’re be over there as soon as possible. Mr. Ok have purchased a plane ticket for you.” Said Suzy.

             “Yes, you two will leave two days after today.” Said Mr. Ok.

             “How long will he be gone?” Yoona worriedly asked.

             “For at least half a year. After surgery, he will have him join a couple recovery activities to prevent it from coming back.” Suzy continues. “Therefore, he will need somebody to accompany him.”

             “I will.” Yoona immediately volunteer.

             “No she won’t.” Taecyeon object. Yoona looked at her, giving him the ‘Why?’ face. “You’re pregnant. It will be three months soon. It is not good for pregnant lady to travel. You should stay.”

             “I want to be with you.” Said Yoona. “I want to help you go through the process.”

             “I know you do. But, this process is very long and tiring.”

             “I can handle.”

             “I know you can, but the baby can’t. You need to stay, rest, eat well, and give birth to a healthy baby.” Taecyeon cup one side of her face. “Seulong will accompany through this treatment. If you come, I won’t be able to focus and be more worry about you than myself. Stay…for me.” He begged.

             Looking into his desperate and concern eyes, she hesitate for a second before she lightly nodded her head. Taecyeon smiles in relief before he hold both her hands up to her lips and kiss it lightly. “Kamsahamnida.”

“Okay everybody, lunch is ready.” Said Mrs. Im happily.

             Everybody get up and walks over to the dining table together. Sitting around the table, they eat and chat about the pass. Yoona was silent most of the time. Taecyeon notice it. He reach his left hand over to her and hold her hand as if he was pulling her back to Earth from heaven. Lunch continues with smiles on everybody face except Taecyeon and Yoona. Their silent is like a conversation, sending deep message to each other, and sharing how they really feels for each other. Taecyeon glance seeing her still like a statue, he knew she’s worries about him. He grab a piece of bulgogi and hold it front of . Yoona turn her head and look at him, he give her a soft smile before he nodded his head. Yoona obediently open and eat the meat delightedly. Yoona continues to eat again.

* * * *

Sitting on the couch in the living room with the TV on—comedy show playing at a low-medium volume; everybody have gone home and rest, Mrs Im and Mr. Ok is in their bedroom. The fireplace is on, wood is chirping. Taecyeon, in a dark heather grey beanie and black sweater zipper on the left side and classic rinse jean, turning his head to the window, he sees flakes falling from above. Yoona walked from the kitchen with two hot green tea cups in both hands to the living room. She placed the cups on the coffee table.

             “Is it hurting you?” Yoona asked in a soft concern tone as she held his hand.

             Taecyeon lightly shook his head. “No.” He gave a warm smile.

             Yoona sighed in relief. “I made hot creamy milk green tea.” She handed him his cup of tea.

             Taecyeon held it and take a small slow sip. A sweet rich creamy tasted sparkle in the back of his of his tongue. Yoona looked at him, waiting for his comment. “It’s good.” He said.

             Yoona warmly smiles as she looks dreamingly into his eyes. Her left hand raised and cupped the side of his face. Softly and lightly rub her thumb against his soft warm skin then run her thumb over his dry white lips. Taecyeon grabbed her hand—stopped her action—his eyes drop down for a second before he looks at her again. From the look in her eyes, he knew she was thinking about.

             “Stop thinking about it.” He calmly said.

             Yoona sadly looks away. “I can’t. It’s scares me to see you like this.” Her voice trembles as she speaks. “Why must every bad thing happen to you… to us?”

             Taecyeon let out a light smile, “Not every bad things happen to us. We’re together now. No one can separate us. Our parents approve us together. We don’t have to hide anymore.”

             A couple tears strolled down her cheeks seeing how positive he is. She wants to be like him, be positive, and be happy. But everything in front of her, everything that is happening, it is impossible for her to smiles happily knowing his chance of living is low.

             Yoona force a smile on her face as she stand before him. “I’ll be right back.” She said before she leaves the living room with light tears. Leaving him sitting there alone, he looked out the window, snows is still falling slowly and softly. He stands and walks to the glass doors. Sliding one of the door open, a cold breeze whispered against him; it was gently and soft. He take a step out of the house into the porch. Looking up at the blue sky, watching the cloud slowly moving, he inhale the cold fresh air. Exhale softly; he walks down the porch onto the grass field covered in snows. He stopped—takes off his shoes and sock—and walks in the snow barefoot. He feels the soft flakes melting under his feet as snows fall over him.

             Walking out of the bathroom to the living room, she does not see him anywhere in the room. Feeling a cold breeze, she looks to her right at the open glass door and sees him outside in the snow. Quickly, she runs outside in a frighten heartbeat and up to him.

             “Oppa!” Yoona frightfully shouted as she grabbed his arm and stopped in front of him. “What are you doing out here? It’s cold. You shouldn’t be out here.”

             “It’s fine. I needed some fresh air.” Taecyeon calmly said. He looks down at the snow on the ground. “Look at how beautiful the snow is. It’s been a long time since I walked barefoot on the snows. So long that I don’t remember how cold and soft it is.” He looks up at her, “When I was a kid, I used to love to walk in the snow barefoot. Omma always yelled at me, telling me to put on my shoes, but I never listened.”

             Carefully listening to him telling her about his past rose a feeling of sadness yet calm. She feels her heart beating back to normal as he grip loosen. “Still, it’s cold outside. You should wear at least a coat before walking out or wait for me.”

             “Would you let me go outside if I tell you I want to go outside?” He asked. Yoona hesitate to answer him. Through her eyes, he knew it would be a no. “You don’t have to answer me. I know the answer already. If omma was alive, she would have love you.”

             Yoona smiles as she pinch his cheek. “So you’re telling me that I’m more like your omma than your girlfriend?” She jokingly said.

“Anniyo.” Taecyeon quickly denied. “I mean you react the same way as my omma when I go barefoot in the snow.”

Yoona smiles as she tip toe and peck his left cheek.

             “I love you. I love you more than anything.” Said Taecyeon softly.

             “I know. And I love you forever.” Yoona replied.

             Taecyeon flash a soft and gentle smiles before he lower his head and capture her lips tenderly. The kiss was short as the two of them watches the snow falls over them. Wiggling his toes in the snow, he thinks of his mom. He remembers how his mom used to walk a short distant in the snow with him when he was young. He remembered how they were run in the snow, kick the snow, and making snow angel. He remembers it all and he missed her dearly. “I miss omma.” His voices melt as he looks at her. “I miss her so much.”

             “I know.” She cupped his face. “I know.” She repeated softly.

             Taecyeon misses her mom so much that he heart aches—legs weaken; he fall onto his knees as he shed tears.  Yoona bend down to her knees—cup his face, she wipes his tears away gently.

             “I wish she was here with me.” Taecyeon said in a soft tone.

             “If your mom was here, I think she’s be happy to see how you have turn out.” She said. “A handsome, brave, and caring man.”

             He chuckles lightly to her words. “I wouldn’t called myself brave. I can’t hear you on my right. I’m afraid of the hospital. I’m afraid of dying. I’m a coward.”

             “No you’re not.” Yoona denied. “You have a brave strong heart. You may not be able to hear me on your right, but you can still hear me on your left. You’re only afraid of the hospital because of your mom. But you’re actually brave. You’re fighting the cancer. You’re fighting for your life. And you’re doing everything you can.” She said.

             He smiles as he looked at the ground again. The smiles disappear as he think about the times he has left with her; it is getting shorter the by the second. His mind empty by the sound of his frighten heart beats. He looks into her eyes again.

             “Yoona.” He called in her a sad quite tone. Yoona looked at him. “Can you promise me something?” He asked.

             “What is it?”

             “You have to promise me first.”

             His strange tone and facial expression make her puzzle. She felt a heavy pressure over her heart. “I can’t promise you if you don’t tell me.” She insisted for his pledge first.

             Taecyeon paused for a moment before he speak again, “If I don’t come back promise me you will forget me.” He said.

             Yoona eyes widen as she felt her heart beating fast and pain at her chest. “Wh—what are you talking about? You will come back.”

             “If I don’t come back I want you to forget me. I want you to promise me you will move on and live happily with our child.” He said as he looks into her eyes.

             “Why are you saying all of this?” She cut him off.

             “Promise me you will take good care of yourself and our child.” He continues.  “Promise me you will find someone better, someone who love you and care for you as much as I do. This is my only wi—.”

             Yoona presses her lip over his, shutting him from finishing the sentence. Yoona slowly back but seeing him open his mouth again, she crashes her lip on his again—shutting from again. This kiss was longer than the previous. If she break the kiss now, he will make her promise him again. Just like this, she is able to stop him from making her promise the thing she do not want to do. Taecyeon glides his hands around her before the kiss break apart again.

             “Please stop.” She begged him. “We raise the baby together. I will wait for you to comeback even if it take days, months, or years. I will wait. So please stop making promise you something I don’t want to promise. If this were to happen to me and I ask you to promise me this, will you?”

             A soft wind blow against them as snowflakes continues to fall over them. It quiet between them, just pair of eyes looking at each other.

             “Then how do you expect me to promise you when you can’t do the same?”

             “Because I love you.” He replied.

             Yoona warmly smiles as she cup the left side of his face. “And I love you too.”

Taecyeon sighed as he hold her hands. “Have anybody ever tell you how stubborn and determine you are?”

Yoona nod. “Yes, my mom told me that I’m like my dad.”

             Taecyeon nod his head, surrender to her strong, confident, and persuasive self. He holds both her hand hands to his lips and kiss them. “No women have ever turn me this way but you. I must have done something bad in the previous to end up with a girl like you.”

             Yoona pout and playfully slap his chest. “Fine, go find yourself another woman that is sweet, gentle, and spoil.”

             Taecyeon grab her hand—stop her—and pull her to him, crashing his lip over hers.

             “Kamsahamnida.” He whispered in between the kiss.

 

To be continue………………………………