Ch. 48: Home Again

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

           The clock continues to tick-tack as Yoona continues to wait for Taecyeon to come. One hour almost pass, only ten minutes till 10P.M. A car pull up on the side of the street, Siwon step out of the car and walks up to the café shop. Seeing him here, Yoona turn and looks at the Sooyoung who immediately looks away from her glare.

             “You ask him to come here?” Yoona asked.

             “Well, we can keep waiting here for Taecyeon to come. What if he never come?” Said Sooyoung.

             “He will come. I know he will.” Said Yoona confidently.

             Quickly looking around the shop, Siwon spotted Yoona and Sooyoung in the front by the windows. He walks over to them with a sweet and charming smile.

             “Hi.” He greeted them.

             “What are you doing here?” Yoona asked.

             “I heard that you are here, so I came to get you.” He said.

             “I’m waiting for someone.” Yoona replied.

             Siwon was a little disappointed by her words, but manage to keep himself smiling. “It’s getting late. You two shouldn’t be here. The café is going to close in an hour.”

             “Yoona, how long are you planning to wait for him? Another hour? The whole entire night outside in the cold?” Said Sooyoung. “You have to think about the baby.”

             Sooyoung words shock him. From disappointment to pain at his heart. Siwon was completely shattered yet still standing with smiles across his face.

             Siwon kneel on his right knee in front of her and hold her hands as he looks up at her. “I know you’re waiting for him. But the clock is ticking and he nowhere near. The café shop will close soon and the night is getting colder. You need to go home and rest…for the baby and him. You can look for him tomorrow….So can I take you home?”

             Yoona sadly looks outside again as she places her right hand at her stomach. She lightly nodded her head. Siwon stand back on his feet again. The three of them exit the café shop, but suddenly, Yoona stop and looks to her left. It was empty. No footstep. No sound. They resume again.

             Strolling as fast as he could to the Street Café with the pain increasing and torturing him, Taecyeon make a right turn and walks up the lane to the café. Twenty feet away from the café, he sees Yoona leaving with Sooyoung and Siwon.

             “Yoona.” Taecyeon called her name.

             Yoona immediately stop and look to her left. There, she sees Taecyeon with his left hand pressing on the right side of his hip, standing not too far from her.

             “Yoona…” He inhale and exhale heavily as he called out her name again. Looking at her with his agonizing and weak eyes; he fall onto the ground.

             “Oppa!” Yoona frightfully shouted as she rush to him. Holding his upper body up in her arms, she clean the snows off him. “Oppa!” Her voice trembles in terror as she tries to wake him up. “Oppa, please open your eyes. Taecyeon oppa.” She shakes him lightly.

             Taecyeon lay unconscious and painfully in her arms. “Yoona….Yoona…” He murmurs her name.

             “His shaking? He’s sweating too?” Siwon confusedly speak as he observe Taecyeon.

Yoona quickly searches his pocket for his medicine, but it’s not with him. Siwon carries him onto his back and hurriedly to his car. The girls hurriedly follow behind him. Everyone buckle up; Siwon steps on the gas pedal. Driving as fast as he could and safely at same time, he was able to get to the hospital with in twenty-five minutes. Siwon parked in front of the emergency department and hastily carries Taecyeon inside.

             “Nurse! Doctor!” Yoona shouted.

             Nurses come running with a hospital cot. Siwon put Taecyeon onto the cot, and within second, the nurses takes him into an operation room.

             “I’m going to call Seulong and let him know about this.” Said Sooyoung. Yoona immediately nodded.

             Sooyoung leave for a moment while Yoona waited by the door with her hands cups together praying to god for Taecyeon’s sake. Siwon watches Yoona from a short distant; seeing how frighten she is when she sees Taecyeon on the ground, seeing how much she cares about him on the way to the hospital. Siwon soar in sadness as he walks to the chair by the wall and take a seat.  

“Oppa, please be alright. You can’t leave me yet. Please.” Yoona whispered quietly to herself.

* * * *

Four hours later……

       Awake from his unconscious with pain at his hip, he looks around the unfamiliar room. From left to right, he sees no one, but technologies around him. He is in the hospital, in a private room with a lobby and a bedroom. The only place he hates the most. The only he never wanted to be at. The pain in him increases. He looks around the place for his medicine and finds it sitting on the coffee table by the wall about 20 feet away from the bed. With no one in the room to him, he lifts his upper up and pulls the blanket off him and sees himself dress in hospital pant and short sleeve top. He takes a few needles out of him, shut the heart reader monitor off, and moves his legs to the end of the bed with difficulty. He feels his body powerless as if he was no different than a handicap man. Inhaling and exhaling heavily he stands up on his feet. The next step he tries to take a step forward. He succeeds but he feels pains at his hip and fall, pushing the table down with him. Taecyeon tries to get back on his knees, but his body won’t listen to him. The pain in inside continues to burn—torturing him. He hopeless chuckles at himself then punches the floor repeatedly. Yoona is on her way back from the cafeteria and heard a loud noise coming out from Taecyeon’s room. She immediately run into the room—up to his bedroom—stop at the doorway and sees him on the floor by the coffee table, broken piece of glass vase and flowers beside him. She sees him excruciatingly trying to get back on his feet.

         “Oppa!” Yoona worriedly and frightfully shout as she tries to run to him.

         Heard her voice, sees her running to him, trying to help him stand, Taecyeon knew he was useless now. He is no different than a useless paralyze man on the floor. He upset, he swings his arm away from, pushing her away from him.

          “Get out!” He shouted.

          “Oppa…” Yoona tries to get to him again.

          “I don’t need your help! Get out!” He grits his teeth, trying to fight the pain.

           Her eyes become watery just watching him trying to get back on his feet. “Oppa, let me help you.” Yoona voices trembles as she pleaded him to let her help.

           “Get out!” Taecyeon insist her leaving the room. He does not want her to see him like, a useless and powerless man trying to get his medicine but fail. “I don’t need you here. I don’t need you.”

            His words were like knife piercing through her heart. She knew he didn’t want her to see him like this. She knew he was trying to be strong in front of her. However, it only hurt her more seeing him so cold to her. It only hurt her more knowing he want to fight this pain alone. “Stop being so stubborn oppa!” Yoona shouted in tears.

            Taecyeon inhales and exhales heavily, he give himself one last push back on his feet. Gritting his teeth, bearing the pain, he grabs her left arm and drag her out of the room. He immediately close the door on her before he falls back to the floor.

             “Oppa!” Yoona banging her hands on the door. “Oppa, please open the door. “ She begged as she continues hitting her hands on the door. “Oppa, open the door.” Taecyeon lift his upper body up and lean against the door, resting his head against the door as he rest his right hand at his hip.

             “Oppa, open the door please.” Yoona continues to beg as she weakly hit her hand on the door.

             “Please leave.” Taecyeon uttered in pain, tears begins to whelm his eyes. “Leave Yoona.”

             “No, I want to be with you. I want to be by your side.”

             “I don’t…” Taecyeon gulp at his pain suffocated him. “I don’t want you here.” He lied with tears. “Just leave.”

             “Taecyeon oppa……” Yoona sobs.

             “I’m not the same Taecyeon anymore…. I’m not the same Taecyeon you once knew and love.” Tears comes streaming down his cheeks as he presses his right hand on his hip, hoping it will subside the pain. “I want to die. I can’t take this pain anymore.”

             “No, you’re still the same Taecyeon. You are still my Taecyeon.” Yoona continues to sobs. “You can’t give up….Please don’t give up.”

             “No, Yoona. Don’t you see?” Taecyeon gasps for air as his continue to press hand down his hip. “I’m useless now… I can’t even walk properly… I can’t even get to my medicine on my own.”

             “Stop oppa. Stop saying that. I’m begging you, please.” Yoona hopelessly falls to her knees.

             “It’s the truth… I’m useless now. Just like my omma,  will have to die.” Taecyeon shut his eyes, trying to hold back his tears as much as possible, but fail.

             “You can’t give up. You must fight oppa. You must.” She pleaded.

             “I don’t have the energy to fight any longer, Yoona. I’m really tired….” Taecyeon said hopelessly as he looks up the ceiling in tears.

             “No oppa….” Yoona heavily cry, pleading to stop, begging him to never give up. “You can’t leave me. You can’t leave me and our baby. You can’t do this to me… please open the door and let me help you. I want to get through this with you. I want to be with you.” 

             “Mianhe Yoona….” He said as he looks at the broken glass vase on the floor, not too far from him.

             A silent between them as they let the tears speaking for them. Seulong, Mr. Ok, Mrs. Im, and the rest arrive at the room and sees Yoona on her knees with her right palm on the door. Just like that, they knew what was going on. Taecyeon have locked himself again, fighting his own world by himself.

             “Yoona?” Mrs. Im runs to her. She got on her knees, and cups her face, and wipes away the tears. 

             “Omma… please help me…. help us….” Yoona begged.

             Seeing her daughter cries hurts her. She really wishes it was her that’s going through this painful moment, but the only answer she can give her is nods.

             Mr. Ok and Seulong rush up to them and was about to tackles the door until Yoona stop them.

             “Don’t. He’s against the door. He’s in pain.” Yoona said in tears.

             Seulong walks to a 50” width by 70” length window on the right and sees Taecyeon crawling to the broken glass.

             “Hurry! He’s going to cut himself!” Seulong shouted in shocked.

             Yoona eyes jolt wide in dread. Siwon steps back away from the door a couple steps and grips his fists tightly. Seulong join along with him. The two of them make a run toward the door and tackles the door with their left shoulder. They successfully barge into the room just in time. Seulong runs up to him and takes away the broken glass off his hand. The dreaded Yoona sees Taecyeon trying to get another piece from the floor. She angrily storms to him, take that other broken piece from him and put it at her neck.

             “Yoona!” Everybody shouted as they shockingly sees Yoona trying to commit suicide in front of them. 

             “No!” Taecyeon begged as he tries to get back on his feet.

             “You want to die. Fine, I’ll die with you.” Said Yoona boldly. She pressed the sharp at her neck.

             “Don’t… don’t Yoona.” Taecyeon grunts in pain as he manages to get on his knees. “Please don’t.” 

             “You promise me… you promise me you live for me. You can’t break that promise… You can’t.”  Yoona sobs. “I don’t want to live without you. It’s pointless for me to spend a day without you…. I need you oppa…. I need you in my life…I really do.”

             “Yoona…” Taecyeon sobs. “I promise.... I promise.”

             Yoona lower the broken piece—she let go of it, and walks up to him. She bends to her knees—cups his face. “Please let me help you… I really want to get through this with you… I want to fight with you.”

             He places his right hand over her hand as he looks into her eyes. “Yoona…” Overpower by the pain, Taecyeon weakly falls backward. Yoona immediately catches him, holding his upper body in her arms, and embracing him tightly.

             “Yoona…” He murmured weakly.

             The doctor rushes into the room with a needle in his hand after Suzy and Sooyoung report to him. He went up to the weak Taecyeon inject a painkiller and then a sleeping medicine in him.

             Slowly Taecyeon loses his conscious again. Within second his vision went blur and black.

* * * *

             Three hours later, in another private room where everyone is waiting for him to wake up from his coma. Yoona have been by his side, holding onto his hand tightly as if she let go of him, he will do something to harm himself again. Taecyeon slightly move his fingers, waking Yoona up from her nap.

             She lift her upper body up and looks at him, “Oppa.” She whispered softly.

             Hearing her voice, Taecyeon open his eyes and turn his head to the side; he looks at her weakly. He sees her angelic smiles as she gently glide her left hand across his forehead and stop at the bruises on the side of his face.

             “How are you feeling?” Yoona asked.

             Taecyeon gulp before he answer her. “Better.” He weakly replied.

             She looks at the red-almost a cut on his face on his face, “What happen?” Yoona concernly asked. “The marks on your face and back. You didn’t bring your medicine with you?”

             Taecyeon hesitate to tell the truth as he looks into her beautiful sparkling eyes. “It was an accident at work. I lost my medicine. I’m sorry I was late.” Taecyeon cups the side of her face.

             Yoona tearfully smiles as she place her hand over his. “It’s okay. As long as you’re alright….” She said in a grateful tone.

             Seulong heard noises and wakes up from his nap follow by Yuri, Suzy, and then the rest. Seulong walks up to Taecyeon, stand at the end of the bed.

             “Did Thunder go looking for you?” Seulong asked. “He threw away your medicine and cruelly beat you.”

             Taecyeon surprisingly looks at him.

             “One of your coworker that I exchange phone number and ask him to watch over you gave me a called and told me everything.” Said Seulong. “Is that why you act up on us earlier?”

             Yoona smiles disappeared as she tearfully looks at Taecyeon and holding his hand tightly.

             “Thunder came to work place?” Suzy jolt to her feet. “Did he do that to you?” She asked.

             “Oppa….” She said in a soft tone. “Why couldn’t you just tell me the truth? I really wish you weren’t so secretive….hiding everything from everybody.”

             “Mianhe.” He apologized to her.

             “You’re coming home with us.” Said Mr. Ok.

             “I don’t—“ Taecyeon want to object but was cut off by Yoona.

             “Oppa, the doctor said you condition is getting serious. The medicine will eventually become useless. I don’t want the same thing to happen again. You need to do the surgery.” Yoona begged. “Please.”

             Mr. Ok kneels on his knees, “Taecyeon-ah, I know I was wrong. I’m deeply sorry. I know I have let your mom go. I know I didn’t cherish her well…but you’re my son. The only son I grateful for. The only thing I have of her by my side. I need to you live. I know omma wouldn’t want you to give up like this. She have fought to live… she fought because of you…So you can’t give up. I’m begging you, please do the surgery.” He begs in tears.

             Taecyeon close his eyes as he trap the tears inside. The image of his mom smiling before she leave this world emerge in his head. The room soon fills with tears as the father and son have a heart-to-heart talk.

             “If only you knew back then…..” Said Taecyeon in tears. He open his eyes and look at his father,  “But I’m afraid….I’m afraid it will fail…. I’m very scare appa. I’m scare that once do the surgery, something happen and I die.” He turn and looks at the teary Yoona. “I’m scare I won’t get to see you again.” He truthfully said.

             “I’m not going anywhere. I right here next to you.” Said Yoona as she place her hand at his heart. “I will always stay by your side.”

             “I promise you, this time will be different. I won’t let anything happen to you.” Said Mr. Ok with confident.

             Taecyeon gulp as he pause for a moment. “…Fine. I will do the surgery.” He accept. “I’ll come home.”

             Yoona smiles through the tears as she hold his hand against her side of her face. “Kamsahamnida.”

             “Kamsahamnida.” Mr. Ok said with gratefulness.

 

To be continue……………………………..