Ch. 20: Missing You

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

           After that evening, Yoona have not seen Taecyeon since then. She stayed up all night, waiting for him to come home, but no sound of door clicking or creaking. No sound of footstep or wood cracking. The house was mute as the quiet room that isolated mental people from others. It frustrates her, troubles her, and worries her not hearing or seeing him home.  Just sitting hopefully on her bed, praying for him to come her, she thinks of the words she had said to him, words the have hurt him. She nerve-rackingly pulls her right thumb as she thinks of him. “Taecyeon oppa,” whispered in her head repeatly, “Come home.”  She curses herself quietly inside her head, regretting everything she had said to him. If only time can rewind itself then she would learn to control herself more.

            Eighteen hours have passed, she lye on her bed with her eyes close—resting a bit. Her cellphone alarm goes on, beeping repeatly, waking her up from her little nap.  She reach over to turn it off then got out of bed and walked out of her room to Taecyeon’s room. Reaching her right hand to the doorknob, twisting it, and pushes forward a little, she peeks inside. The blanket is still neatly fold, pillows sheet are still straighten. Everything is still at its’ place. Nothing was touch.

            “Oppa…..” Yoona whispered regretfully.

            “Yoona.” Mr. Ok called her as he walks up the stairs.

            “Appa.” Yoona startled by him.

            “What’s wrong?” Mr. Ok strangely asked.

            “I—I was going to ask Taecyeon oppa to let me borrow some notes from Theater class.” Yoona stuttered nervously.

            “Oh, I was going to check on him to see if he came home or not. I want to talk to him about the next show.” Said Mr. Ok. “He rarely leave home for more than a day without calling home.” His tone was doubtful with his head tilt to the side a little. 

            His words made her guiltier for telling him to disappear in her life. She couldn’t lift her head up.

            “Alright then, if you need something, just go ahead and go into his room, but make sure you neatly put everything back in its’ place. He hates disorganizing things.” Mr. Ok smiles before he walks down the stairs. 

            Yoona released the doorknob and walked into the bathroom. The door shut and she looks at herself in the mirror. Her eyes shut closed, press her right hand—his mother bracelet—at her chest as his voices replayed the words that torn and frightenly not only her but also him, inside her head.

            “It was only me that loves you… It was only I.”

            “If you say you don’t love me, I won’t pursue you anymore.”

            “If you don’t want to see me anymore…I’ll disappear in front of you.”

            “Mianhe Yoona.”

            Closed her eyes tightly, trapping tears inside. “Mianhe oppa, please come home.” Yoona heartbreakingly whispered.

* * *

             Standing in front of her locker, she glances over where Taecyeon’s locker is, hoping to see him show up soon. But he was no were seen, not even in the crowded hall. Seulong is present, but is alone.

            “Who are you looking for?” Sooyoung asked as she looks at the same direction as Yoona is.

            “Someone.” Yoona quietly reply.

            “And that someone is....?” Sooyoung continues. Placing her right index finger at her chin, she put on her thinking mode. “Taecyeon?” Sooyoung guessed. Yoona’s heart flustered yet achingly as her eyes fell down to the floor.  “Yup, I got it right.” She smiles. “Did something happen between you and him?” She asked. Yoona stay silent as she looks at her inside her locker. “Okay then, how did your date with Siwon oppa go? Did he make the final moves?”

            No words left Yoona mouth as she tried to recall everything that happens yesterday, but only to vividly remember what happen between Taecyeon and her after her date.

            “Silent is not an answer.” Said Sooyoung with her arms crossed.

            “No.” Yoona briefly answered.

            “Wow, that’s shocking.” Sooyoung release her arms apart.

            She unfocusedly walked to her class and sat in the left side of the room, Yoona stare at the door. Waiting for him to show up, waiting to see him, but only to be disappointed. Shortly after Seulong enter the room, Hyori walks in and up to her desk. Class begins with Hyori role calling. One by one raise his or her hand in the air. Eyes glue to the door, Sooyoung elbow her arm lightly to get her attention. Hyori repeat Yoona name again, Yoona raise her right hand in the air. Her right long sleeve shirt slides down, revealing Mrs. Ok’s bracelet clearly to Yuri. Shocked by it, Yuri tightly grip onto her lead pencil.

            “How could Taecyeon oppa give Yoona ahjumma’s bracelet?” Yuri was fiercely as she questioned herself over and over, hoping to find an answer. “This can’t be right. I asked for it once, he got angry, and wouldn’t let me come near it, but now Yoona have it.

            The more she think about, the more furious she becomes.

            “Ok Taecyeon.” Hyori called. “Ok Taecyeon.” Lifting her head up and look to the opposite side of the room, she only sees Seulong by himself. “ So where is Ok Taecyeon?” She asked Seulong. “Ditching again?”

            “No.” Seulong answered. “I actually don’t know where he is.” He honestly answered. “But I promise that there must be a reason why he is absent today.”

            Hyori disappointedly shook her head. “Same old, same old.”

            Seulong quickly take out his phone and dial Taecyeon’s numbers, but no answer. He try again with the same result, he slide his phone back into his pant pocket. Suzy glares over at Yoona, blaming her for Taecyeon absent. His absent drive Yoona insane; she is frustratedly and miserably missing him as she stares at her notebook. Hyori continues with her class by giving lectures. Empty mind and distracted with Taecyeon in her head, she could not focused in class. No notes were written into her notebook, only doodles around every corner of the page. Noticing the doodles on her page rather than letters or words, Sooyoung knew she was distracted. Even further, she knew it has something to do with Taecyeon.

            When class ended, Yoona rush to Seulong and stop him before he can’t leave the room.

            “Seulong, do you know where Taecyeon oppa is?” Yoona asked.

            Seulong shook his head. “No. He could be anywhere. He’s never stationary.”

            “Have you talked to him?”

            Seulong shook his head again. “No. I texted and called him many time on yesterday. We—well, actually I was suppose to meet him at the gym, but he never showed up.”

            “Yoona, is something wrong?” Sooyoung concernly asked.

            “I… I can’t explained to you now.” Yoona could get the words out of probably. “I need to find him.” She eagerly said.

            Seulong picks up a few clues after Sooyoung question her. “I get it now. I know why he is absent.” Seulong lightly smirk with confident. “You really know how to hur—….”

            Yuri grabs Yoona right wrist and turn her body around. Holding Yoona right hand high enough, she pulls her sleeve down a little.

            “Taecyeon oppa give you this?” Yuri jealously asked.

            Suzy, Gyuri, Sooyoung, and Seulong confusedly watch.

            “Did he?” Yuri asked again.

            “Yes. That night under the tree.” Yoona truthfully said as she daringly looks into Yuri fury eyes.

            Yuri remembers that night she went looking for them and spotted them sitting under the tree.

            “What’s wrong Yuri?” Gyuri asked.

            “This bracelet belongs to Taecyeon oppa’s mom. He does not give it to anyone nor let anymore touch it. But she has it.” Said Yuri jealously.

            Seulong’s eye widen after he remember the bracelet. Sooyoung was just a little confused as she stood beside Yoona. Suzy eyes with filled with rage and jealousy that is about to burst out at any moment soon. Yoona uncomfortably pulls her hand back and pulls her sleeve down.

            “How did you get him to give it to you?” Yuri asked.

            Yoona pulls her hand back and awkwardly looks away. She could not honestly tell them that they love each other. To them it is if she speaks, they won’t understand.

            “Lets go.” Said Suzy coldly. She walks out of the class.

            Gyuri follow closely behind.

            “Okay, that was awkward.” Said Sooyoung.

            Yoona was speechless as she felt Yuri could know something, however, she is surprise that Yuri did not say it. Yuri left the room silent yet troublesome by her thoughts. Sooyoung and Seulong were just puzzled as they watched the group of girls leave and stared back at Yoona.

            In her next class, she somehow drew a picture of Taecyeon in her notebook. Putting her lead pencil down, she lightly airbrushes her fingers over her drawing of her.

            “ I don’t love you.”

            “I want you gone. I wish you never exist in my life.”

            Her chest rise up and down heavy as her words repeats in her head. The pain strives her. Eyes closed, trapping her tears, but one teardrop successfully escapes and slides down her right cheek.

            “Taecyeon oppa….” She whispered worriedly.

* * *

            Another day have passed. Taecyeon is unknown, gone MIA—missing in action. Yoona went to the nearest cemetery by the house. From the ground to the next—one level to the next—she could not find him anywhere, but she did find his mom stone. Kneeling down in front of it, she places her right hand over the Stone. A cold wind gusted through her, making her shiver lightly. All of a sudden, she feels a strong connection. She sensed Taecyeon present. “Omma…” She heard him whispering inside her head, pleading for help. “I can’t breath anymore. Please help me… my heart… it’s in pain…it hurts a lot.” Grabbing her chest, breathing heavily as his pleading voice trembles her. He was here, have stayed here overnight in the cold with his mom. She can sense it all. Quickly, Yoona takes out her phone and dial Taecyeon’s number. First attempt; fail. Second attempt; fail. Third attempt; fail again. This time, she left a message for him.

            “Taecyeon oppa, where are you? Why haven’t you answers my calls? Why didn’t you come home?” Yoona tackles the message box with questions first before moving into the main reason why she call him. “I’m sorry. I didn’t really mean what I say to you on yesterday. I was confused…I was not myself. Please come home. I’m really worry about you.” Lowering her phone, she hangs up and sighed.

            With all many fail attempts, Yoona decided to go home. Dinner was lonely. Yoona keep staring at Taecyeon empty spot.

            Mr. Ok notice Yoona’s absent mind. “Yoona, are you okay?” He concernly asked. “Is there something wrong?”

            Yoona quietly shook her head and paused for moment before she parted her lips. “Appa, have Taecyeon oppa called you?”

            “No.” Mr. Ok simply answered. “By the way, where is he?” He became curious.

            “He didn’t at all.” Mrs. Im said.

            “This is not like him. Disappearing without a word.” Said Mr. Ok. “I still need to talk to him about the next show and your mom and I trip to France.”

            “Maybe, he wanted to be alone. Maybe he wants to be gone for his birthday.” Mrs. Im guessed.

            “His birthday already passed. He hates celebrating his birthday.” Mr. Ok clarified. “There must something going on.”

            “Maybe you should call him later.” Mrs. Im suggested.

            “You should appa. I tried calling him, but he wouldn’t answer. Seulong also did too, we could not reach him.” Said Yoona.

            “Really? Even Seulong?” Mr. Ok asked, assuring he heard it correctly. Yoona nodded her head. “That’s strange. Let me give it a try.” Taking out his phone, he dials Taecyeon’s number. Listen to the ringing as he waits patiently.

            “Yeoboseyo?” Taecyeon answer.

            “Taecyeon-ah, where are you?” Mr. Ok asked  .

            Yoona was surprised that Mr. Ok can get to him.

            “I’m at Seulong’s house.” Taecyeon lied. “I’m spending the night there. We have a big project due in two days.”

            “Seulong’s house?”

            “Yes, at his house. Is there something else you need to talk to me about?”

            “Yes, I need to know if you can help me on the next show?”

            “When it is?”

            “Date are not yet set, but it is assure to happen three weeks from now.”

            “I might. Is there anything else?”

            “I’m going to France with omma this Friday. I need you to take care of Yoona for us? It’s only going to be a week.”

            It silent him upon hearing her name mention through the phone.

            “Taecyeon-ah?”

            “Annyoung appa.” Avoiding the subject and end the called.

            “Taecyeon-ah? Taecyeon.” Mr. Ok called him repeatly but only to hear the low pitch run-ons sound in the phone. “Aishi, this boy. He seriously can’t change his personality.”

            “What happen? What did he say?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “He hung up.” Said Mr. Ok. “He said maybe on helping me, but didn’t answered about taking care of Yoona.”

            Yoona distraughtly yet sadly grips her chopstick tightly.

            “Is he coming home tonight?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “No.” Mr. Ok simply answered.

            Mrs. Im calmly sighed and resume eating with Mr. Ok. Yoona put her utility and bowl down on the table.

            “I’m done. I’ll be in my room.” Said Yoona in a gloomy voice with her head facing the floor.

            “Are you okay?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “I’m just tired. Goodnight omma, appa.” Yoona faintly smiles before she dismissed herself. 

            Desolately walking to her room, she closed the door behind her, and walks over to her bed. Pulling the blanket over her, she closed her eyes, trapping the tears from escaping. It’s clear that Taecyeon is avoiding—taking her words seriously. He has shut him again—closing the door to the open world.

 

To be continue……………………………