Ch. 14: I don't like it (Taecyeon)

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

 Play the music (at the end of the chapter) before you read this chapter. :)  

            “Am I a nobody to you?” Yoona repeated.

            Sadly looking into his eyes, she hopes he would say no. Staring into each other eyes, feeling his hot-warm breaths splattered her face, unknowingly she think of their kiss under the tree, under the starry sky. Though the kiss was short, but it was warm and passionate. Embracing the moment, Yoona sees him moving his head lower and lower. His lips are only few centimeters away for hers. Feeling her cheek heating up as she close her eyes, ready to accept his lips. A light touch, Taecyeon nervously stop as if it was their first kiss even though it was not. The moment he capture her lips fully, he immediately back away a couple second later ion hearing Sooyoung shouting Yoona name as she barge into the room.

            “Yoona.” Sooyoung called her as she open the door and sees Taecyeon and Yoona standing in the center of the room.

            Yoona nervously held her hands together as she looks at the floor, hiding her red cheeks. Siwon walks up and stood behind Sooyoung, he looks at Taecyeon then the shy Yoona; from soft and gentle face, he expression turn unhappy and dark looking at Taecyeon.

            Seulong push the door wide open and excitedly enter the room. “How is your hand? What did the nurse said?” He asked.

            “Nothing.” Taecyeon lied.

            “Can you go back to class? Wait… if you go back now, Ms. Hyori will kill you with questions.” Said Seulong. “But seriously you were suppose to fake the fight, how did it become so realistic? I see his mouth moving. What did he say to you to make you angry?” He showered him with question.

            Seulong’s questions caught Yoona attention and inquisitively looks at Taecyeon. She also did see Thunder lips moving—saying something to Taecyeon, but the noise of from the other class have canceled the noise of Hyori’s class. Yoona take a step to Taecyeon but stop by Siwon.

            “Yoona.” Siwon called for her as he walks up to her. “Is everything okay now?” He smiles sweetly to her.

            Taecyeon angry glares at Siwon.

            “Everything is fine now.” Yoona awkwardly said.            

            “That’s good. I thought you would be mad at me.” Said Siwon jokingly.

            “Why would I? It’s not really your fault. I should be apologizing for making you worry.” Said Yoona.

            Taecyeon irritatedly looks away, annoyed to see how Yoona have been so sweet to Siwon, pretending he’s not visible at all.

            “There is something I want to ask you.” Said Siwon. Yoona cluelessly looks at him. “Are you free tonight? Do you want to have dinner with me?”

            Sooyoung eyes widen in surprise.” Oh my god, he’s asking you out on a date.” Sooyoung excited whispered to Yoona. “He’s finally making a move.”

            Siwon proposal left them surprise. Taecyeon ferociously looks at Yoona, hoping she would reject Siwon. Caught by surprise, Yoona glimpse at Taecyeon and sees his angry face. She nervously gulps as she looks at Siwon, who stand beside him and waiting for her answer. Yoona hesitate to give Siwon an answer, the anxious Taecyeon left the room, leaving Yoona confused as she watch him disappear from her eyes.

            “Taec!” Seulong shout for Taecyeon as he chases after him.

            With Taecyeon absent, a sudden courage struck her. “I have work tonight.” Yoona decline.

            “After work?” Siwon tried again.

            “I don’t think so. I get out late. Also tomorrow I have school and the show start. I have to be there.” Yoona decline again. “I’m sorry.” She apologized. Sooyoung shockingly looks at her.

            “It’s okay, maybe some other time.” Said Siwon. “How about the end of the weekend?” He tried again.

            “I—I don’t know.” Yoona hesitate.

            “She’s free.” Sooyoung answered for her.

            Yoona surprisingly look at Sooyoung, giving her the “What!” face.

            “Okay.” Siwon smiles. “Can I have your number?” He held his phone out in front of her.

            Unable to reject in front of Sooyoung or Suwon, Yoona grabbed his phone and punches her number into his phone before handing his phone back to him. Siwon save her number, suddenly his dad calls him, leaving a short message to come back to the hotel.

            “Sorry, I have to go.” Said Siwon. “Maybe I’ll see you at your show.” He smiles,

            Yoona uncomfortably smiles. “Okay.” She quietly said.

            “Alright then. Bye Yoona. Bye Sooyoung.” Siwon waves lightly at them before leaving the room.

            “Bye Siwon oppa.” Sooyoung happily wave at him then look back at Yoona with her arms cross, “What was that?” she asked.

            Yoona nervously looks away; worry that Sooyoung caught her and Taecyeon kissing in the room.

            “Why did you reject him? You never reject him.” Said Sooyoung shockingly.

            Yoona sighed in relief after Siwon was out of sight. “It’s because…..” She stopped when suddenly she think of Taecyeon. Her expression becomes sad and confuses as the more she thinks of Taecyeon and Siwon. “I don’t—I don’t know either.”

            “What’s wrong with you?” Sooyoung touches Yoona’s forehead, checking her temperature. “You’ve been acting weird since the day we reunite again. Did you say you won’t reject Siwon oppa if he ever ask you out?”

            Yoona take Sooyoung hand off her forehead and frustrated blinks. “I really don’t know. I don’t even know what I want right now.” She frustrated said.

            “Yoona, can I ask you a question?” Sooyoung asked. Yoona innocently looks at her. “Do you like Taecyeon?”

            Sooyoung surprises her. “Huh?” Yoona cluelessly looks at her.

            Sooyoung sighed before she repeats the question to Yoona. “Do you like Taecyeon-sshi more than just….”

            “Are you crazy?” Yoona cut her off.

            “What.” Sooyoung shrug her shoulders. “I’m just saying what I think. Yesterday, you cry for him and embrace him tightly. Today, the way you run up to him and push Siwon away tells me everything. The way you look at him. You care for him more than just a brother.” Sooyoung confidently stated. “Yoona, from my perspective, I think you like him.”

            Yoona was speechless not because she nothing to say, but because Sooyoung was right. She does care for him deeply. In her life, the only person she ever shed tears for was her deceased dad, but now also him. She have shed numerous tears for him.

            “Yoona, think carefully. You may think you don’t know what you want, but inside your heart, you already know who.” Sooyoung words made sense. She sighed as she patted Yoona shoulder lightly.  

            Yoona give a weak smile before she looks sadly looks at the floor.

* * *

            Staff busily walking back and forth in the grand room, setting up lights, walls, curtain, and many more. Yoona enter the room and walks up to the stage. She stopped and turned her body to the right and sees many bags and coats/jackets on the chair. A row behind is Taecyeon’s backpack. She put her purse a seat beside his back then takes the mini stair up to the grand stage. Holding Yoona’s proposal in his hand and standing in the center of the stage directing the staffs is Taecyeon. Seeing him in new dark blue long sleeves plaid shirt, she knew he have gone home to change or go buy another shirt at a store.

            “Yoona.” Lee Jin called her. “I need you over here. We need help with the colors for your theme.”

            Taecyeon stop when hearing Yoona name shout in the room, but did not turn to look at her. Inhale and exhale a couple times, he try to calm his mind from thinking about earlier in the medical room. Yoona glances at him before walking over to the design team. Taecyeon glance at her before helping other staffs pushes the rolling curve right stairs to the center then the left curves stair and connects it with the right. Taecyeon instruct staffs to pull the classics lighting up a little higher, yet he sees them struggles with the ropes. Taecyeon give his assistant the papers before walking over to the staffs and help them pull the lighting up. Seeing him near her side and helping the others, she worriedly watches him, fearing he will hurt himself again. She sighed in relief seeing them tying the rope secure to the metal hook.  By chance, he caught her looking him worriedly. Immediately he looks away and walks back to his assistant.

            “You’re really strong.” His assistant praised him. “Do you go work out often?”

            “I do. Only when I have free time.” Taecyeon answered him quietly.

            “Where? How many times a week?” His assistant asked. “By the look of your muscular, you must work out at least four to five days a week.”

            “No, only three days a week. I spent two to three hours at the CS Gym. I’ve been a member there for four years now.” Taecyeon shyly said.

            His assistant nodded his head lightly. “That’s good. Fewer days at the gym but more hours spend. You are really strong and good looking. You must have a lot of girls after you.” He a little. “You must have a beautiful girlfriend.”

            “I don’t.” Taecyeon gave a simple answered.

            “That’s sad.” Said his assistant. “Alright then, the next thing on the list is the curtain.”

            They resume back to work. Taecyeon still another glimpse at Yoona, caught by her, he quickly looks away. The hours continue with them secretly glancing each other, worried glance versus sad glances. They haven’t spoken a word to each other since this morning. Taecyeon have been trying his best to ignore her, distant himself from her as if she was invisible to him. Yoona was getting frustrated and troubled by his ignorance. Every time she tries to get close to him, wanting to talk to him. He would find ways to avoid her; it’s either pretending to keep himself occupied with the staffs or alone somewhere away from her. It is just Tom and Jerry, the cat is chasing the mouse; this games continues for the next three hours.

            Finally, it was time for every body to go home and rest for tomorrow-musical shows. Taecyeon does a double check-up, making sure everything is at its’ place while everybody put on their coats, women grabbed their purse, and making a few call. Yoona stood near the stage, waiting to speak to Taecyeon.

            “Bye Yoona, great work today. Great ideas.” Lee Jin praised.

            “Yeah. You did really well.” Another female staff praised her.

            “You really are talent.” 3rd female staff commented.

            “Thank you.” Yoona shyly bowed to them. “Good night.” She waves at them.

            They smiles and happily waves back at Yoona as they head toward the exit. One by one leaves the room. Taecyeon finished and turn the stage light off. Walking to the seats, he sees Yoona waiting below the stage. Looking down at the floor as he make his way to his backpack, Yoona steps in front of him, stopping him from proceeding. Upsetly looking at him, she waited for him to face her, but he didn’t.

            “Why are you avoiding me today? What did I do wrong?” Yoona asked. “You haven’t spoken a word to me. You hardly look at me. Tell me what’s wrong.” She continues.

            Taecyeon stay silent as he looks at the floor. He step to the right, Yoona to the right, blocking him. He step to the left, Yoona does the same, blocking him with her tiny body. Taecyeon annoyingly lift his head up and look at her.

            “I have nothing to say to you.” Taecyeon coldly said.

            “You do.” Yoona demanded. “A person do not avoid other without reasons. You are avoiding me and I want to know why?” She persistently asked for an answer.

Taecyeon sighed as he looked to the side. Yoona cup her face with her hands and turn it back to her. She upsetly pouts at him.

            “I don’t like it when you are like this. So tell me, what’s wrong?” Yoona asked again. She let go of his face.

            Unable to control him emotion anymore, “You say you don’t like this about me. You say you don’t like that about me. You don’t like anything about me.” Said Taecyeon expression his uncomfortable and jealousness to her. She dislike a lot of things about him, but he never told her what he don’t like to her. “Well, there are things I don’t like about you. I don’t like it when you are sweet to another man. I don’t like when you are so close to another man. I don’t like it when you hug another man in front me. I don’t like it when you smiles so warm and sweet to another man. I don’t like it at all.” He referred the ‘man’ to Siwon. Yoona was stiff shock as she looks at him. Taecyeon lightly hissed before he continues, “You know why? It’s because I like you. I gave you omma bracelet because I like you. I like you more than just sister, which frustrate me that I can’t be close to you. It troubles me so much that I couldn’t tell you how I feel because in law we are sibling. This is the reason why I couldn’t…fully open up to you… because I fear, I fear that once I do I will get hurt and everything would vanish in front of me.” Taecyeon inhale and exhale heavy as he fiercely looks at her.

            “The bracelet…..” Yoona stuttered nervously.

            “It’s my heart.” Taecyeon honestly answered her. “You ask why I gave the bracelet…then here is my answer... The bracelet was the only thing she had left from her parent. Omma gave it to me before she passed away.” Taecyeon sadly gulp as a tear escape his eyes and down his cheek. “It is the only way I can still connect my heart with hers. It was the only way I know she’s still with me.” He paused as the pain struck his chest. “Do you know how painful it is to live every day without her?... It’s really painful… so painful that I have to grabbed my shirt and press my fist against my chest, believing that my heart had died with her. I could not breathe…. my body was numb. I don’t even have the strength to stand, but only to kneel on my knees. I don’t have the courage…. the strength to face the world every day of my life without her. For the first three years after she passed away, I cried every night, holding a picture of her at my heart.” Tears continue tumbling down his cheeks. “It was the only way I can breath.... live every day of my life without pains.  The bracelet she passed down to me, in hope I can give it to the person I love, because this bracelet now represent my heart. So I gave it to you in hope she can protect you. That night under the shooting stars, I pray to omma, asking her to watch over you… to keep you safe every day, every minute.” Trying to control his tears from pouring down, he looks away. “I love you very much, I don’t know why or how this can happen so fast, but I love you. The question is, do you love back? Do you love me the way I love you?” He looks straight into her eyes again.

            Yoona was completely speechless and fills with tears. His confession, the bracelet, and the heart of his mom have all taken her breath away. All this time, she thought she have finally got him to like her as a sister, but she doesn’t know he likes her more than just sibling relationship. Now she understands why he refuse to open himself to her, to Mrs. Im and Mr. Ok, and to the world; it was all too painful for him. She feels her heart flutters in the same pain in him as she stand in front of him. Moving her right hand to his face—stopped a couple centimeters away from his tears—she looks into his sorrowful eyes for a moment before she move her hand again. Taecyeon grabbed her hand and stop her before she wipe a tear away from his upper cheek.  Silently they stand in front of each other, looking into each other eyes. Suddenly, Yoona’s cell phone rings. Taecyeon let go of her hand. She wipes her tears away before she take out her cellphone from her purse and sees "omma" flashing on home-screen.

            Sliding the green arrow across the screen, she answers her mom’s call.

            “Omma.” Yoona tried to keep her voice from breaking.

            “Are you still in the theater? Omma and appa have come to pick you up. Is Taecyeon with you?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “Yes I am and so is Taecyeon.” Yoona answered, she stole a quick glance at Taecyeon. “We’ll be there in a couple minutes.”

            “Okay.” Said Mrs. Im before she ended the call.

            Yoona put her phone back into her purse then look at Taecyeon. “Omma and appa is in the front waiting for us.” She softly said.

            “Go.” He said in sad tone. “I still have things to check.” He lied to her. The truth is, he wanted to be alone.

            “Taecyeon oppa…..”

            Taecyeon turned to his right and walks down the row, leaving Yoona standing there and watching him. Yoona grabbed onto her purse handle as she waited for him, hoping he would change his mind and come home with her. However, he keep walking further and further away from her, giving her no choice but to leave the room and head home with Mr. Ok and Mrs. Im.

            An hour have passed since Yoona have arrived home, shower, and change into her PJs. Sitting on her bed, resting her back against the bedhead with her knees bend and blanket over her, she looks and lightly touches the bracelet hanging around her right wrist. His voices echo in her head as she remains silent in her bedroom.

            “I don’t like it when you are so close with another man.”

            ‘”I don’t like it at all.”

            “I gave you the bracelet because I like you.”

            “It’s my heart.”

            “It’s really painful… I could not breathe, believing that it had died with her.”

            “The first three years, I cried every night.”

            “I gave it to you in hope she can protect you.”

            “…because it’s my heart.”

            His words repeat itself over and over inside her head as the clock tick and tack. But just thinking about him and her under the same roof as sister and brother hurts her. She holds her the bracelet at her heart, feeling his and his mom heartbeat.

            Back at the theater, Taecyeon sat in the front row in the dark with only a one light shinning down at him. Staring unconsciously at the floor as tears stroll slowly downs his cheeks, he thinks of his mom. He moves his right hand to his heart; resting it there, he feels his own heart beating against his palm.

            “Omma….” He whispered softly.

 

To be continue…………………….