Ch. 2: A Beginning

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

            Arrived at the theatre 20 minutes ahead. Behind the stage, staffs run back and forth, preparing and checking before the show starts. Yoona follow Taecyeon closely, watching, listening, and observing everything around her. Mr. and Mrs. Im arrive 10 minutes later. They see Yoona cluelessly examine backstage while Taecyeon direct others. They stroll to her.

            “Learning anything new?” Mr. Ok asked.

            Yoona nervously smiles. “A little.”

            “You should have just stayed at one place.” Said Mrs. Im.

            “It’s okay. Let her wander. It’s the best way to learn thing faster.” Said Mr. Ok. He looked at Yoona, “Do you want to be a part of the theater?” He asked. Yoona happily nodded. He claps his hand loudly, catching everybody attention. Everybody walk up to Mr. Ok. “Hi everybody. Sorry for the interruption, but I really need to announce something important.” He put his hand behind Mrs. Im back. “This is Mrs. Im. She just arrive today from Tokyo and the young pretty that have been following Taecyeon is his new sister, Yoona.” He introduced them to everybody.

            “Annyoung.” They all greet Mrs. Im and Yoona.

            “Your daughter and wife are very pretty.” A female staff praised them.

            “How old are you?” A 2nd female staff asked Yoona.

            “I’m 19.” Yoona answered with smiles.

            “Vey pretty. How long have you lived in Tokyo? Is it beautiful?” The 3rd female staff asked.

            Yoona nodded. “Very beautiful. I’ve stay there for 9 years.”

            “Wow, you manage to still speak Korean fluently. You must be very smart.” A male praised.

            Yoona shyly smiles. Taecyeon silent leave the crowded.

            “She will come and help me now. Since we are short hand in the design station. She will be in the design group, 2nd co-chief.” Said Mr. Ok. “Okay, everybody back to work.” The employees bowed to Mr. and Mrs. Im and Yoona. “Lee Jin-sshi, can you arrange me a private balcony seats?  Can you get Yoona a staff card and a stage pass for me?”

            “Yes Mr. Ok.” Lee Jin answered. “Would you like to come with me now or do to want me to hand you the location later?”

            Mr. Ok looked at Mrs. Im, “I’ll just go with her.” Mrs. Im said.

            “Okay, I joined you shortly after to check everything out first.” Said Mr. Ok.

            Mrs. Im happily nodded and left with Lee Jin. Mr. Ok watched her leave for a moment before he direct his attention to Yoona. “Since I have put you in the design, you job is to design stage themes that with fit with the music atmosphere. You also need to report to the Taecyeon, if something when wrong or you feel that there a need of change at the last moment or before.” Mr. Ok briefly explained her duties in the designing group. “If you have any question you can ask Taecyeon, or me, or anybody here.”

            Yoona nodded. “I understand appa.”

            “Good, since tonight is your first night, just relax.” Mr. Ok smiles. He looked passed her, looking for Taecyeon. “Where is Taecyeon? He was just in the crowded a moment ago. He was supposed to give you a tour.”

            Mr. Ok words caught her attention. She turned and quickly examines the place. She and Mr. Ok could not spot him anywhere.

            “He’s probably checking on something. It’s okay appa, I think I know the place by now.”

            Mr. Ok nodded. “Okay, I have to talk to the musician. I’ll see you later.”

            “Okay, appa.” Yoona wave at Mr. Ok and watch him leave. 

            Yoona exhale deeply as staffs are everywhere while she just stood cluelessly. Suddenly, she spotted entered the room again, walking up to the center and looking up at the ceiling. Yoona delighted walks up to him, a few step before she could tap on his shoulder. Unexpectedly, he turned around, she bump into him. Only an inch away from each other, she felt his warm breaths brushing her face. Nervous written all over their face, his apple drop then rise as he constantly stare into her beautiful round eyes. Their lips nearly touch. Yoona quickly take a step back and blush. Taecyeon emotionlessly looked at her for a short second then turn and walked to left side of behind the stage. Yoona place her hand at her chest, feeling her heart beating fiercely fast against her palm. She takes a couple breaths before she decided to go join her mom at the private balcony.

            “Done already?” Mrs. Im asked.

            Yoona nervously nodded. “Yeah. There a lot to learn.” She said as she looked down at the stage.

            “You can start with Taecyeon.” Said Mrs. Im.

            Yoona looked at her confusedly. “What?”

            “You father, he told me everything about Taecyeon.” Said Mrs. Im with a smile. “ You lost your biological father at an early age, so you don’t have much memories of him. But Taecyeon, he lost his mom on his 14th birthday. Appa say since then he stopped celebrating his birthday. Taecyeon is very close with his mom, so his memories of his mom in uncountable.” Yoona watches Taecyeon from the private balcony as she listened to Mrs. Im. “The bond is unbreakable. I don’t think I can ever replace his mom position in his heart, but it will not stop me from seeing him as my son and doing my best to make him happy. The look in his eyes today explains it all. The loneliness and sadness blocks him from seeing the beautiful world. He won’t accept any women in his life but his mom. So you, Yoona, should start with him. I want you to get close to him, make him happy, show the beautiful world.”

            “Okay omma. I’ll try.” Yoona softly said.

            Mrs. Im nodded. The doors to the theatre open, people start entering and walking to the seat after conforming their ticket to the staff. Lee Jin walks into the private balcony spots and up to Yoona. “Here is your staff card Miss Yoona.” She handed her the card. Yoona pleasantly take the cards. “Is there anything I can get for you?” She asked both of them. They shook their head with smiles. Lee Jin left the room.

            The grand theatre fills with noise and laughter as they wait for the show to start. Yoona scan her eyes around room. Many people dress in rich clothes—scarf that worth hundreds and thousands of Korean won—shoes that are very shiny shoes and watches. For sure are all high-class people at the theatre tonight. Yoona sighed and looked up the fourth level where she spotted Taecyeon with others staffs standing behind the technology.

            Taecyeon bend down a little to the microphone, “Ladies and Gentlemen, our show is about to start, please be seated and turn off all yours electronic device.” Taecyeon spoke in English. “Thank you and enjoy the show.”

            “Wow, his English is clear as crystal.” Mrs. Im praised. “I wonder what other languages does he speak.”

            Yoona stay silent as she continues to watch him from the third level. Taecyeon signal the staffs to pull the thick rope. The red heavy curtain is lift off the floors.  Musician artists are in their seat in the back with a music master in the center and the dancers dancing around in front of the stage. The staffs tied the rope on the metal wheel before heading back to the monitor and help Taecyeon manage the lights and sounds system. Mr. Ok stays at the bottom, behind the stages, arranging and pre-check the things before sending it out to the stage. Music is loud and clear in the theater. Mrs. Im pay full attention at the stage while Yoona continues looking around, observing everything in her eyes. Almost half way through the show, Yoona notice the red curtain moving slowly at first. The red curtain start to drop a feet and then another, she looked up the fourth floors and see Taecyeon running to the rope. He grabbed onto the rope firmly from letting the red curtain falls. Grinning his teeth as he pulled the rope back, he feels the hot friction the rope is making against his skin as it’s slowly repulse from his grips. Yoona covered in shock when she caught him holding the rope, though she could not see his face clearly, but she could feel the same pain he’s in. One of the staff rush over to help him while the other take over his place in the lights.

            “Are you okay?” The staff concernly asked Taecyeon.

            “I’m fine.” Taecyeon hid his painful face from the staffs.

            Securely tying the rope onto the metal wheel, checking it one last time before they head back to the monitors. Yoona was awe by his strength. That curtain could have weight at least 100kg to 150kg, yet he still manages to hold tightly onto the rope. The orchestra continues to process successfully through the night.

            “He’s really strong.” Yoona whispered inside her head as she watch him from her seat. “But even a strong man gets hurt.”

            Two hours later, the audiences take turns leaving the room. The staff immediately cleans the stage, organization the things into my one room and wipe the stage floor with brooms. Yoona and Mrs. Im help out with folding customs and brushing the floors. Within thirty to forty-five minutes, the whole theatre was clean and the powers are off. Everybody leave the theatre, Mr. Ok lock the doors before walking to his car with Mrs. Im and Yoona. Yoona notice Taecyeon absent, she sees him walking alone. Mr. Ok and Mrs. Im were in the car. Yoona run to him, link her arm around his as they walked to the car, making sure he’s not planning to walk home alone. Luckily, he didn’t. The whole family was in the car. Mr. Ok begins to drive to his house. Sitting in the SUV, only Mr. Ok and Mrs. Im is talking while Taecyeon looked out the window and Yoona just silent sighed of boredom. She secretly glanced at Taecyeon after she remembers her mom words at the theatre. Seeing his sharp lonely eyes through the reflect window, it question her, curious her. 

            “Are you okay?” Yoona quietly asked him in concern.

            Taecyeon did not respond to her, pretending he’s death as he kept his eyes out the window. Yoona pouts at him. She grabbed her seatbelt and looked out the window. “Trying to get to know you better and be your friend, but you choose to be a loner! This stupid Ok Taecyeon.”  Yoona complained in her head. Taecyeon suddenly sneeze. Yoona secretly let out a smile as she looks out the window. The back seats are silent like dead fish for the next 20 minutes of the rides. Once the SUV is in the garage and the engine is off. Taecyeon step out and walk to the back of the SUV, waiting for the trunk to be open. Once the trunk door open, Taecyeon grabbed Yoona and Mrs. Im bags and silently carry it into the house. Mrs. Im and Yoona just blankly watch him. Mr. Ok just smiles as he waited at the door for them.

            “Come on in.” Said Mr. Ok with smiles. Mrs. Im and Yoona enter the house through the garage door.

            Walking in the small hallway to the living, Yoona stopped. Amaze by the house, her eyes sparkles as she spin herself around. Mr. Ok and Mrs. Im smiles knowing she likes the house.

imagereadmed20113947991.jpg301860.jpgmodern-zen-kitchen-design.jpg

            “This is our house.” Said Mr. Ok. “You and your mom will be staying here from now on.”

            “This is beautiful.” Yoona commented.

            Mr. Ok looked at Taecyeon, who is waiting for his order. “Can you take Yoona to her bedroom first? You can leave your mom bag on the couch.” He said. Taecyeon did as he was told, leaving Mrs. Im luggage on the couch. “Your room will be up stair on the second floor with Taecyeon. Your mom will be down here.”

            Yoona nodded. Taecyeon walk to the stairs, Yoona followed him. Checking out the house as she followed him, she forgot she’s still wearing Taecyeon coat. Taecyeon entered the room on the right and place her luggage on the bed then leave the room before Yoona can say a word. He walks to his room on far left and lay on his bed with his right arm on his forehead. He exhales deeply and rest. Knock. Knock. He opened his eyes when he heard someone knocking on his door. Sitting up, he sees Yoona with a clear box in her hands and a black coat hanging on her right arm. Yoona smiles as she walks up to him. Grabbed a roll chair at the desk and pull it to his bed, she sat face to face with him. Taecyeon cluelessly looked at her.

            “I came to return your coat and to treat the bruise on your arm.” Said Yoona. She placed his coat on his bed.

            “I don’t have any bruise.” Taecyeon coldly said.

            Yoona sighed and put down the box on her lap and reach for his right hand. She stretches his arm out and pulled the long sleeve up, revealing a big dark and long red marks twine around his right arm. “Then what do you call this?” She asked.

            Taecyeon withdraw his arm back, “It’s nothing.” He said without looking at her.

            Yoona grabbed his right arm again and stretch it out with her left hand. She uses her right hand to open the first-aid box.

            “I said it’s nothing.” He repeated in the same tone.

            Yoona hold tightly onto his hand, not letting it go. “How can you say there’s nothing, when in fact, there is something. Don’t mistreat yourself.” Said Yoona as she begins to treat his red mark. Taecyeon silently watches her. “I may not understand why you are like this, but I do know that there are people in this world that loves and cares about you. You shouldn’t lose hope—don’t gave up, and be so cold and lonely.” Looking up at him with smiles, “You have me.” Her voices were soft and sweet. “I care about you.”

            Her words made his heart skip many beats as he unconsciously stares at her. He really want to ask her why, why is she treating him like this? Why can’t she just ignore him like he tries to ignore her? He’s trying his best to be so cold towards her, but to her it’s like nothing happen at all. Constantly watching her soft and caring side, he felt warmness again as if she have been by his side for years, even though they just met today.

            “Why?” He asked in a low tone.

            “Why what?” She asked without taking her eyes off his arm.

            “Why do you care about me? We only met today.” He looked at her with lonely and hopeless eyes.

            “Because oppa have become a part of my life.” Said Yoona with smiles. “It doesn’t matter if we only met today, to me it feel like we’ve met for a long time.” She stop and looks up at him, “Taecyeon oppa, do you believe in first love? Do you believe that there’s this strong connection when two people met for the first time?” She asked.

            Taecyeon dully looked at her. He does not know how to answer her, because even himself feels something strange. Whether it’s good or bad, he knew it has something to do with her.

            Yoona resume treating his arm, knowing that she have ask a silly question. “Nevermind. How can a person like oppa, who have lock yourself from the world for decade, to know the answer. Just pretend I didn’t say anything.” She said as she carefully massage his right arm, un-clotting the blood knots before wrapping the gauzes over the long red marks. “There.” She finished it by drawing a happy face and the words “I love you” with a heart on the gauzes.

            “Thank you.” He voice was nearly a whispered.

            Yoona happily smiles. Her smiles shortly disappear when she sees a picture frame on the nightstand, a picture of him and his mom together with smiles. She looks at him—picture—then back at him. “Can you smile for me?” She asked politely, hoping he will.

            Taecyeon stonily looked away. He knew she saw the picture of him and his mom happy together, quickly he fold the frame down. His action saddens her. He grabbed the coat and walks over to his closet and hang his coat.  Yoona sighed before she stand and smiles at him. “Well, I’ll see you tomorrow. Good night.” She looked at him. Without turning around to look at her, I listen to the sound of her feet stepping on the floor out of his room. Taecyeon closed his eyes and exhale in relief.

 

To be continues…………………………