Emergency Aftermath

The Wallflower of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
22 Emergency Aftermath    

 

I stare at my reflection in the mirror. I just took my first bath since that night.  Seeing how physically and mentally miserable I am. I’m pale as sheet. Dark purple and bluish bruises decorated my face. I lift my shirt up with a grunt and see more bruises. I double check the bandage on my arm. I'm not sure if I was able to get all the broken glass that pierced me that night because It still hurt as hell and it still bleeds sometimes. I looked at myself straight in the eyes and I felt how tired I am with this situation I’m in. Tears fell, one after the other until I started to cry hard again. 

 

It’s Saturday and I missed two days in my university. My body hurts like hell, I can’t do much. I don’t have any penny left to ride a bus to go to some place just to get away from this black hole. There’s no food in the refrigerator. Water is all I’ve got for the past two days. Besides from all the pain I feel, I’m still grateful enough that my foster father hasn’t stepped his foot in this house since then. I can breathe freely. I rummaged my things in my room hoping that I could find a bill just to feed myself. I flipped every book possible because it became my thing to slip bills in books before and as if faith heard me. Few bills fell out as I flipped a book that I didn’t even bother to look at the title. 

 

It just so happens to be scorching hot outside. I am wearing a hoodie with a matching face mask to hide my face. I walked through the busy street going to where the food tents are. I felt my breath become shallow and I started to feel nauseous. I made a left turn at an alley to distance myself to the crowd. I feel cold sweats running down my forehead. Next thing I know everything turned black. 

 

 

Jaehyu was absent for two days and I'm more worried than ever. If only I know where she lives maybe I can drop by to see how she's  been doing. I just can’t help but think and worry about her. Kris hyung texted me yesterday. Asking what classes do I share with Jaehyu and my curiosity grew more. He even asked the time. Which made me reply half-heartedly. Thinking how close is he with Jaehyu and how did they even met?  I waited for Jaehyu to come to our Physical Science class, our last subject every Friday but she didn't come and right after our class I saw Kris’ outside our room.

 

“Hey, Jongin. Where’s Jaehyu?” 

“Oh, hyung. She’s still absent.” 

 

I informed him. My eyes went to the paper bag he was holding. It was from a café inside the campus. Did he bring those for Jaehyu???

 

“Still? Did she miss your first class too?”

“Yes. Actually, she’s been absent since yesterday.”

“Really? What could have happened to that girl?” He wondered worriedly. 

“Anyway, you can have this. I’ll go ahead now, I still need to drop by the company.”

 

He handed me the paper bag and walked out without hearing my goodbye. I looked at the paper bag only to be consumed by my thoughts again. He’s bringing Jaehyu food!? Are they really THAT close!?

 

So those thoughts had been bothering me since yesterday. I shrugged to stop myself from overthinking and just focused on walking. I drove my sister to her cafe to finalize everything for the opening day and here I am walking my way back to my car a few blocks away from the café. Since parking is very hectic because it's weekend. Suddenly I got a glimpse of a familiar figure walking towards me. Head hung low and I can't barely see her face with her face mask and hoodie but I knew exactly who the person was. Choi Jaehyu.

 

I stopped in my tracks, waiting for her to pass by me but she suddenly took a sharp turn to an ally and I quickly trailed her. I padded my way to her to greet her but she collapsed and I was able to catch her on time.

 

“Jaehyu!” 

 

I removed her hood from her head as I cradled her in my arms. But I was shocked to see a bluish bruise at  her cheek down to her jaw maybe. I removed her face mask too, only to see her other bruises and busted lips. 

 

“. Jaehyu? Jaehyu!”

 

I continued to call her as I lightly tapped her cheeks. She’s sweating cold too. Goddammit. I scooped her up and cautiously ran to my car. Once I reached my car, I laid her down in the back seat and hurriedly ran to the driver seat and drove straight to my parents’ hospital. I dial my mom's number while driving.


 

“Mom!”

“Jongin? Why did you call? I’m at the hospital--”

“C-can you wait for me at the ER?”

“Jongin, what happened!?” she asked as she sensed my nervousness.

“I-It’s my friend. S-she passed out and… and she has bruises. I don’t know what happened!”

“Okay, okay. I got this, honey. Just focused on driving.” 

“Thanks, mom.” 

 

Then I hung up and dropped my phone at the passenger seat. I glance at Jaehyu’s pale face. Just what the hell happened to you Jaehyu? My grip on steering wheel just went tighter with the thought that someone had hurted Jaehyu. I tried to focus on the road, waving all the negative scenarios in my head.

 

I pulled over at the driveway of the hospital’s ER when I saw my mom waiting with other nurses too. I got down in my car and went to the back seat to carry Jaehyu to a hospital bed that they had prepared.

 

“You have no idea what happened to her?” My mom asked as the nurses pushed the bed inside the ER.

“I have no idea, mom. It also just happened that I saw her before she collapsed.” 

 

I explained as they checked on Jaehyu. They took of Jaehyu’s hoodie which caused her t-shirt to ride up and I gasped as I caught a glimpse of her other bruises. She also have a bandage on her arm but it's bleeding. 

 

“You should wait at the waiting area, Jongin. ” My mom said as she looked at me concerned.

“B-but--”

“Informed her family too. Nurse Choi, can you guide him outside and please call Doctor Yu.”

 

The nurse bowed at my mom and lightly pushed me then she closed the curtain and I can longer see Jaehyu. 

 

“Here’s the waiting area, Sir.” 

 

She said before going somewhere else. I look around to get some clues on what to do next. I don’t know where she lives or even her house number. I ruffle my hair in frustration. I sat down to calm myself. I forcibly closed my eyes. How on earth did she get those bruises??? 

 

Minutes of waiting feels like an eternity for me.  After almost an hour, I felt a tap on my shoulder which made me look up. 

 

“Mom, how is she?” 

“She’s resting. She’s at the common ward. Did you call her parents already? So that we can transfer her to a private room.” By that I shook my head. 

“Guardian or any relatives?”

 

I shook my head again and saw my mom’s surprised reaction before sitting beside me. Few seconds of silence engulfed us and it actually made me anxious.

 

“Mom--”

“Is she in an abusive relationship?” she asked worriedly.

“What?” I asked without masking my bewilderment

“Just answer me, Jongin.”

“No, she’s not. As

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter