Chapter 5

Silver

You stroll through the throng of guests, slipping in between, grabbing a glass of water and savoring it, somehow.  You have the feeling that you should keep your head clear in a situation like this.

You know what expression to keep as men in the room eye you up and down, stopping particularly at your leg.  You keep up nonchalance, ignore their stares and smirks, something you do very well.

“Hello,”

Noticing the person’s presence a second before he speaks up, you turn towards him and smile in return.  “Hello,”

Your smile widens in pleasant surprise.

“What?” He asks, his eyes questioning through his silver mask.

“No, nothing,” You try but fail terribly to hide your grin.  “First man to not stare at my leg like an animal.  And I like your mask,” You draw close to his face and admire the intricate design of his mask, surprising him and making him draw back.  “I don’t bite,” You chuckle quietly.   “Although I am surprised; why, of all people, do you choose to grace me with your presence, Prince?”

“Cat’s out of the bag, then,” He chuckles handsomely.  “How did you know, though?”

“You have that twinkle, in your eyes,” You answer, but thinking twice, color rushes to your face.  “I mean, you know, in a way, in such a way that I can distinguish you, you know—“ You decide to shut up instead of further embarassing yourself.

“First person to make such a comment on my eyes,” He smiles sincerely at you.  “And first time I notice you lose your composition,”

“Ohh,” You return a playful smile.  “Then you’ve been paying attention, haven’t you,”

“I—err,“ The prince stutters and the both of you laugh, the atmosphere comfortable.

“Why aren’t you up there, by the way, Your Majesty?” You tilt your head in question.

“I’d like to enjoy the parties hosted by my mother.  It’s like respect—“

“—and rebellion itself,” You finish for him, nodding with understanding. 

“And yet nobody knows who I am, but you,” He offers his hand, noticing the change in music.  “Dance?”

“I don’t—Okay,” You couldn’t pull back as he took your hand with such eagerness onto the dance floor.

He gently places his hand on your waist and you place yours on his shoulder, the two of you falling into rhythm quickly.  Nobody has ever held you so close in so many years.

“You’re not so bad,” The Prince says, eyeing your footwork.

“You’re still better, Your Majesty,” You meet his eyes and smile.

“I like your eyes,” He says out of the blue. 

“Well, we both pay a lot of attention to eyes, don’t we,”

With the both of you chuckling, the music eventually quiets down to nothing and the guests applaud themselves.  The women curtsy and the men bow, returning to the food and drinks and chatter.

“Well, I can’t stay for long,” The Prince says.

“I do have a knack for being left alone,” You quietly mutter, enough to catch his ear.

“If you’re trying to make me feel bad, it’s working,” He clutches your hand, as if asking whether or not it was really okay.

“It’s fine, I was kidding, Your Majesty,” You smile, pulling away.  Not the kind of girl you think I am, Prince.

He suddenly takes your hand again and swiftly pulls you close, whispering at your ear.  “It’s Luhan,”

Then without a word, he turns and walks away, disappearing into the crowd.