Chapter 36

Silver

‘Come back here, you little devil!’

You pant as you look back, a tall, big figure chasing you closely.  You yelp when he nearly grabs your clothes, facing foward and quickly running away again.

A row of people come to block the end of the corridor and you slide to a stop, frantically searching for an escape.  You hop onto the nearest chair and jump over the man’s head behind you, landing on your feet and going the other way.

‘I’m not a devil! Stop calling me a de-‘

You stumble to a stop and fall on your back, your nose aching as you hit someone’s chest.

You squint and look up to the unfamiliar face and back away in fear when you recognize him as one of the organization’s  leaders.  He was always there in important meetings, you recognize his statuesque face, strikingly handsome, but ice cold. 

‘Stop calling you a what?’ He asks you, his low voice resonating deeply.

You gape, unable to answer.

‘Well?’ He looks straight into your eyes, making you whimper.

‘D-devil,’ You manage to squeeze out.  ‘Stop calling me a devil,’

‘Carlton,’ The man calls the name of the man chasing you.

‘Yes, sir?’ Carlton answers, fear and respect in his voice.

‘I did not assign you to call the girl a devil, did I?’

‘N-no, sir.  But it’s what everybody-‘

‘I did not assign you to copy others, did I?’

‘N-no, sir.  She does not have a name.  I do not know her name,’

‘Have you ever bothered to ask her?’

‘N-no, sir.  My apologies,’

The man stands still and turns around, striding towards the other end of the hall.  ‘Those in this hall are dismissed.  Carlton, I will not accept any more of your foolish acts,’

‘Yes, sir,’ Everybody in the hall answers, clearing out rapidly.

‘You, girl,’ He glances over his shoulder, his hands locked behind his back.  ‘Come with me,’

You know better than to question him, so you stand to follow him, carefully watching your step behind him.

When the two of you leave the hall, the man speaks again, ‘Walk beside me,’

‘O-oh, s-sorry,’ You trot over to his side and sneak a glance at his face.  He doesn’t wear any expressions.

He suddenly stops in front of a door and turns to face you.  You keep your head lowered in respect, but listen as he begins talking.  ‘Silver,’

‘What?’

‘That is what you will be called,’ He states.  ‘You will answer with ‘Silver’ whenever anybody asks you for your name,’

‘O-okay,’

‘And whenever you need anything,’ The man pauses, making you look up to his face.  ‘Come knock at this door,’

You blink at his expression.  He was smiling.  He reaches out to pat your head.

‘I’m not a bad person,’ He says and he disappears behind the door.

You were 5.  And you had not known, that the man who gave you that name was your father.

“Hey,”

You snap out of your thoughts, meeting Kris’ eyes.

“I’m okay,” You stand up, dusting your pants.  “I’m fine,”

“You’re crying,” He states the obvious, and you wipe your eyes with your sleeve.

“I know,” You sigh, stepping out into the hall.  “I saw my father,”

“The boss, huh?” Kris chuckles fondly.  “He’s a good man,”

“Just when I can remember him, I see the truth that he is gone,” The sigh you let out is evidently melancholic.  “He was a good man indeed,”

Kris and the Queen looks at each other.  “Baekhyun?” The Queen speaks, addressing Baekhyun.

“Hm?” He turns around to face her, distracted from the paintings around him.

“I didn’t kill your father,” She says, surprising Baekhyun.

“Don’t lie to me again,” Baekhyun frowns at her.

“No, it’s the truth,” She begs.  “I was there, but I wasn’t the one who killed him.  Someone was sent from the Rebellion and I couldn’t do anything to stop it,” Her hand goes to her collar and she pulls it down, revealing a long scar running from the base of her neck to her shoulder.  “He ran his knife through my shoulder and told me to keep my mouth shut,” She lets go of her collar and stares at Baekhyun so apologetically.  “I’m sorry,”

Baekhyun stares at her incredulously, glancing at Kris and me, looking for the assurance that wasn’t there. 

“The higher-up that sent that assassin wasn’t your father, Amara,” The Queen soothes my worry.  “It was someone else under him, that got executed for action without command,”

“Your father was the one who called for the execution,” Kris says.  “A life for a life.  The man was never a good member of the Rebellion.  He embezzled money and killed people at his own account.  Your father’s a good man,”

“There’s so much to take in,” Baekhyun groans in frustration.  You reach out to squeeze his arm, throwing a grin at him.

“You don’t have to take it all by yourself,”

You look around and point at the end of the hall by your left.  “We went through that door and went up the stairs at the right.  It leads to my father’s chamber.  Can we go there?”

Kris glances at the Queen and they both smile.  “Yeah, we’re authorized enough for that,”