Chapter 21

Silver

Constantly progressing discussions are continuously held between the three of you.  In your hands are the files of the Rebellion’s cases, from the whole 15 years back.  They’re the best, you can guarantee that, because you have that much record and you still can’t figure out where they are actually hiding, where their hideouts are.

The only thing you can sum up was the fact that all the things they did pissed the castle, the city, and irked the Kingdom, because it created quite the spark that always showed wildfire potential.  It put the Kingdom in constant work, periodicaly, regularly, in a some sort of scheduled way, for specific acts, similar, in one way or another.

And the sum of that, is—

“These guys are good,” You groan, dropping your head on the table.

“Yeah, they are,” Baekhyun frowns. 

Even Baekhyun’s having trouble with it.  The Q.

“They don’t even have names,” Luhan flips through the files.

“Names, names, na—“ You sit back upright and your eyes bulge as you remember something.  “They do.  They do!”

“They do?” Baekhyun makes a face at you.

“No, I mean, I do,”

What?

“I mean, I have a name in mind!” You put your palms on the table and pace along the floor.  “Back then, when the Queen was taken away, I, erm, accidentally encountered one in a closed space,” You shudder at the memory.  “I stabbed him with a drugged needle but he recovers so darn quickly I was tempted to test the drug on myself to see if it actually works,” You stop.  “And he was the one coming down from the roof to get the Queen, not forgetting to stab me with a poisoned dagger,” You curse yourself for being too slow back then.  You jabbed him with a needle and he threw a knife onto your palm.  What kind of fairplay is that?

“Whoa,” Luhan grimaces.

“I know,” You quickly push your pen through the bun you made with your hair and take Luhan’s pen.  On a piece of paper, you spell out the name, in capital letters and underlined them for emphasis. 

“Kris?”

“Yes, Kris,” You nod, returning the pen. 

“You’d really think we’ll find a name here?” Baekhyun takes out the case from 11 to 15 years ago onto the table and tapped it with his fingers.

“Well, we’ll never know until we try,” Luhan sighs, grabbing the file on top.

Taking the folder that had the 13 year old case in it, you slowly flip through the pages, reading case by case, searching for a single ‘Kris’.  Continuously, though, you encounter murder cases.  More than theft or kidnapping for ransom.  Assassination, mass murders, but never a single clue left.  They work clean.  They always set something on the crime location though.  Something they put there on purpose to show people that they were the one who did it.  They have cards.  Black colored cards with their logo’s watermark on it; a sword through a crown.  Every case file had a card attached to it, and they’re all the same, some worn with age.

You’re almost at the end of the file when a murder case catches your eye.  It was the only file without a card.  And the only information written on it was—

“Leave us alone!”

You hear a woman shout and flinch as a door slams open, two people coming in.  They were facing each other and you couldn’t make out any of their faces in the dark.

“Leave you alone? You think we can do that after what you did to us?” One of them says.  Male.

The other, moving backwards still facing the former, hits the wall with a quiet thump and says through gritted teeth.  “You deserved it.  Every single one of you bastards!”.   Female.

A strangled cry comes forth as you hear the unsheathing of a sharp blade.

“And so do you,” The man pulls his knife out of the woman’s, and lets her fall onto the ground.

What you saw rattled you to your core, and as hard as you can, you keep in your sobs, watching, as the man goes around the room, oblivious to your presence.  He returns to the woman’s body, and took something from her neck before completely leaving the room.

“Amara, Amara,” The woman grunts quietly, and you crawl towards her, realizing that all along, you were under a bed.  “I’m sorry, “ She fumbles with her nightgown, quietly lifting her head with much effort and pulls something out of a pocket sewn into it.  “I love you, my dear.  So much,”

You take the ring she gives you and gasp as you look into her eyes.

They were silver.

And as her head limply drops onto the floor again, a strand of hair comes loose. 

A strand of hair whose color doesn’t belong in her brown locks.

Her hair was silver.

You clutch at your head as it pounded with pain and swallowed a great lump in your throat as you try to choke back a sob.

“Amara?” Baekhyun calls out from across the table with worry.  “Are you okay?”

So that’s why you had those nightmares, those headaches, those sleepless nights.

You were trying to erase the memory from your mind.

But now, it’s all coming back to you.

“What is it?” Luhan looks over as Baekhyun does, taking a look at the file you’re on. 

“Silvia,” You whisper, tears b in your eyes, blurring your vision after a very, very, very long time. 

That man’s voice.  You never forget a voice.  Deep, cold, and heartless.

You grab your own hair, trying to fight the pain, the tears running down your cheeks. 

“Kris was the one who killed my mother,”