Chapter 22

Silver

“She was killed for something she did, and the Rebellion didn’t like it,” You explain, drinking the warm tea Luhan had gotten for you.  The chocolate cookie that came with it (the one Baekhyun took) went well with the drink, as it slowly calmed your nerves down and eased the headache.

The two scrambled outside in turns when they saw you in pain, fussing over you with concern.  Luhan had a defensive stance at all times, knowing that these kinds of flashbacks can make you lose control of yourself.  You didn’t though, you held it back, no matter how much you’d like to lunge at something.

But questions nag at the back of your mind; why that particular night? Why does it always seem unfinished? Why do you feel like there’s something else you know, but can’t remember?

Are there more?

You grip the cup’s handle harder, keeping your head low and at an utter loss of what to do; push them away, or accept them with open arms.

“Her case is a page long.  A quarter’s page long,” Baekhyun frowns and shakes his head in confusion.  “All that’s written here is her name, the cause of death and murder weapon, and—“

“And she was listed with no children.  Her husband died due to a heart attack while he was working,” Luhan finishes up.

“I was under the bed.  She hid me on purpose,” You curse yourself for being so small and helpless at the time.  You could have thrown a knife at that man’s heart and killed him for goo—

“Amara, no,” Luhan meets your eyes with his hard ones, shaking his head firmly.

“There’s something wrong with me,” You slam your fist on the table, causing your cup of tea to rattle.  “I can’t manage to take control of my own self.  Every single time I have a flashback, or I remember something from my past,”

Luhan approaches you quietly, touching your arm.  “Ama—“

“Don’t,” You step away from his touch as you stand up from your chair.  “Both of you, stay away from me in the time being.  We’ll do this separately,” You eye the two of them, stopping them from counterattacking your decision.  “It’s not only because I don’t have control over myself, I—I need some time alone, please,”

“Alright,” Baekhyun sighs.

“We’ll stay away,” Luhan goes back to his seat.

You stride towards the door and glance at the two of them before leaving.  They had their heads buried in the files, focused.  “Sorry, guys,”

You close the door behind you and go to the one place you consider calming to yourself.

Returning to your room first, you take out a black fitted tank top and black leggings, carrying with you your bag of weapons and tying your hair into a ponytail that got rid of all the hair from your face.  You slip your arms into the khaki jacket and step out into the garden, making your way towards the Training Dome.

The doors required codes and you punch in the numbers and letters, a code that changed every hour  using some complicated encryption system Baekhyun introduced to you the other day. 

The bag you brought had your knife straps in it, and you proceed to strapping them onto your bare arms after taking off your jacket.  You slip knives into your boots and utility belt and press the button that showed you  the weapons room.

You take out the bow and its arrows, two handguns, a sword, and weights.  The weights go to your legs and arms, weighing you down and slowing you down, but you needed that much distraction to get your mind off your mother’s case.

The handguns were a first to you, so you pushed a button that said ‘Target Practice’ and followed the gun instructions, filling it with bullets and holding it with both arms, straight and supported before you pull the trigger and let a bullet loose. 

It did two things; hurt your ears and missed.

“Not.  Fun.” You fire another two and hit the target with the third bullet.  You keep at it, firing and firing, until you’re used to the sound and used to the recoil of your arms.  After the 10th bullet, you constantly hit the target’s center with another 5 bullets, and that’s when it ran out. 

You try again, this time with one hand.  5th try got you what you want and you try with both arms and both guns.  Only the last pair of bullets hit the target and you throw them down into the disposing basket beside you, bored of the barely amusing weapon. 

The bow and arrows come next, as you set the arrow on the bow and aim at the targets that are everywhere, all of them long range.  Somehow, you missed nothing.  You hit them square in the bull’s eye; the hung ones, the moving ones, the ones that stay still, any kind of target.  What you like the most is that the smoother the shooting transitions, the less sound the arrows make.  That’s why you take arrow by arrow, hit target by target, at a constant, smooth speed, eventually barely making any sound at all until you run out of arrows.

Disposing the weapon as you did with the gun, you revert to another field and find trampolines, trapeze, balancing ropes, and things you’re only supposed to find in circuses.  The weight made you grunt more than a lot of times as you went from trick to trick, swinging from trapezes, walking on ropes, challenging height with trampolines, all with weights on each limb.

Changing to the last field you want, you press the button you want, the field giving you the obstacles like the one you went through with Baekhyun.  Only now, you crank up the difficulty and find most obstacles moving, swinging, shooting fire even faster and more inconstantly.  The timer at the other end of the field starts with a buzz and you leap at the obstacles, discarding the weight for improved speed.

You throw your knives, slash and stab at dummies, avoid fire, avoid swinging blades, jump over a pit trap, swung over an area full of thumb tacks, all the while thinking of one single question;

“Who am I?”

The timer buzzes to a stop as you realize that you’ve slammed your fist on the red button, ending the obstacle.  You’re panting hard, your chest heaving up and down and your knives are gone except for the one between your teeth and each in your hands.  Shouting out in frustration, you throw all your knives at once and hit three separate targets that are still in view.

“I don’t recall Silvia being this good with knives,”

You froze as someone spoke.

“Not gonna ask who I am?”

“Shut up,” You say through gritted teeth.  “Don’t say her name so casually,” You’re glad you’re unarmed, because if you were, you’d turn at your heel and throw anything you can at him.

But the fields did their job.  Your head is clear and calm, although you’re still panting from exertion.

“You’re Amara,” The voice says again, deep and resonating in the silence.

The way he said your name struck something in your head.  “Shut up,”

“Amara, Amara, living in the castle so peacefully,” He spoke on, a taunting smile in his voice.  “I wonder how your dear brother is doing.  Who was his name? Chanyeol?”

“Shut up!!” You grab the nearest knife you can find and whirl it from the voice’s direction and grab another when you hear it hit the wall with a clunk.  “Shut up, shut up, shut up!!” Another knife goes flying, and another, and another.

“You’re close, but you’re not there yet, Amara,” He chuckles, saying your name as if it was something strange.

“Don’t touch my brother,” You growl, at a loss of where he is, unable to catch anything at the shadows of the Dome’s edges.

“I hate how we meet in like this all the time,” He says, clucking his tongue, pity in his voice.  “I should go, shouldn’t I? Maybe I should, after I do this though,”

All of a sudden, the Dome’s lights are switched off with a loud bang and you can’t differentiate between closing your eyes and opening them, because what you see is the same; darkness.

A hand pulls your hair band off and lets your hair tumble down your back so quickly you didn’t have time to register it.  “Bye bye, Amara.  We’ll meet again,”

You’re frozen in place as the voice disappears.

A million things come into your mind as you replay his words.  What did he mean? Why was he saying those words? Why did he say your name like that?

“Amara!!” You flinch as someone calls your name from afar.  It’s Baekhyun and Luhan.  The familiarity of their voice brought tears to your eyes as the lights come back on.

But the relief doesn’t stay for long, because one name comes into your mind along with fear. 

“Chanyeol,”