Chapter 14

Silver

You wince as he takes your hand, the bandaged part of it throbbing with slight pain.  His grip is strange—almost as if he was desperate to hold on to something.

“Sit beside me, Amara,” He says, refusing to meet your eyes as he sits up and swings his leg down off of the bench, providing space for you to sit.

Taking the seat beside him, your mouth opens in a soundless cry as he maintains his grip on your hand.  “Lu-Luhan,”

“Sorry! Sorry, I’m so sorry,” He loosens his grip but doesn’t let go.  “I’m sorry for treating you like that, last night, and I’m also sorry for this,” He sighs, still not meeting your eyes.

“It’s fine, really,” You top his hand with yours, peeking at his face.  “What is it?”

“It’s just—“ He lifts his head up and looks out the gazebo.  “It’s gonna get late soon,” He stands up and lets go of your hand abruptly.  “Let’s get going,”

“Wha—“

“It’s impressive that you managed to find the labyrinth’s center,” He laughs.  “First person to come into the gazebo besides me,”

“Mm,” You reply dismissively, standing up yourself.  “You do that a lot, don’t you,” Shaking your head, you jump off of the gazebo.  “Race you out,”

Knowing for sure that you two will be exiting the labyrinth at the same time, you go opposite ways with Luhan, to get a chance to look at his face when you meet him face to face.

You take the necessary turns, shortcuts, and all the other parts of the labyrinth that is now imprinted in your head like you’ve lived here your whole life. 

In 10 minutes, you come out at the edge and as you predicted, Luhan stepped out too and you successfully steal a glance at—most importantly—his eyes.

His excited glance, the one like a little boy, disappeared as he meets your eyes for a split second and he looks away as quick as possible. 

“Get those bandages changed, Amara,” He says curtly, stepping away quickly towards the castle.  “I will see you for dinner,”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” You reply bitterly, staring holes into his back.

Luhan stops in his tracks, hesitating, but decides against it and continues his stride into the castle without another look back.

You stomp up into your room and slam the door behind you, leaping onto the bed with a sigh.  You sit properly and take out the aid kit under your bed, setting out the equipments you’d need to change your bandages on your arm. 

Despite your frustration about not having Luhan tell you why he was like that, you understand why he is acting so.

Suddenly, a knock on your door comes.

“Excuse me, Miss Amara?”

You clear your throat and answer.  “Yes?”

“I’m Lara and the Prince has instructed me to help you with your bandages,”

Rolling your eyes, you let her in.

Lara is a woman older than you are, probably in her 30s or so.  Despite her age, her face is young, her frame slender and shorter than you. 

“Just Amara, please,” You smile at her.

“Amara,” She repeats your name.  “You have a pretty name.  It goes well with your hair and your eyes,”

“You flatter me too much,” You chuckle along with her.  “I was about to refuse getting help but it’s the Prince’s orders,” You accidentally spat out his title with distaste.

“You seem to be less fond of the Prince,” Lara says with an amused tone. 

“It’s not that I don’t like him,  he’s nice, he’s handsome, he fights really good, he’s gentle, but it’s just that he tries to hide too many things by himself.  He’s hurting himself and he should know that sharing it would help by a lot,” The words come out naturally. 

“What makes you think that he’s hiding it by himself? He may told a person or two before,” Lara says.

“He probably did, but I don’t know, it still isn’t enough.  If it were, he wouldn’t have that look on his face,” You trail off, remembering the look he had on his face and eyes when he came out of the labyrinth.

It was sad, secretive, hiding, and pained all at the same time.

Finished with your bandages without realizing it, you thank Lara.  “You’re a very easy person to talk to, Lara,”

“I’m glad I am, nobody talks to me very much, Amara.  Being a maid, nobody ever actually talks to me,” She chuckles.

Exiting your room, Lara looks at you once more.  “The Prince had a message for you, Amara.  I almost forgot,”

Your eyebrows shoot up and you tilt your head, inquiring.  “What is it?”

Lara’s expression changes every so slightly as she says, “He said: ‘You’re not the only one with secrets, Amara,’”