Chapter 2

Silver

“Amara, is that you?”

You close the door behind you and answer your brother.  “Yep, here I am,”

“Took you a long time.  Did you get the paper and the milk?’ He says.

“Yep, both of them,” You gulp down his glass of water and sit across the table from him.

“Well?” He raises an eyebrow at you.

“What, Chanyeol?”

“Where’s the rest of the money?” He asks again. 

“I’m older than you, okay,” You roll your eyes and slap the money on the table.  “I’m the boss here,”

Chanyeol eyes you from behind the paper and shakes his head.  “Only by a minute,”

“Still am,” You stick your tongue out at him.

Chanyeol is your one-minute younger brother.  He’s the only family you’ve got.  Unlike you, though, his hair is normal; brown.  Dark brown in color, matching his eyes.  Nobody has ever bothered to explain to you why your hair color is silver.  It’s not silver like the kind old people have, it’s silver silver.  Your eyes, too.  Piercing gray, cat-eye style.  Chanyeol’s eyes are big.  Makes you wonder how you guys are siblings when the two of you are so different.

Chanyeol doesn’t know what you do everyday.  The only people that do, actually, is only the Kingdom (because Q is totally a blabber mouth) and a few of the big bad guys whose several members you’ve terminated after all these 4 years.  But to them, you’re Silver.  Not Amara.  You dilslike exposing your personal life to people outside your house.  Thus the wig and the thirty steps.  You’ve learnt that both are efficient in hiding Silver.  Within thirty steps after an encounter, the person would be out of hearing range and seeing range. 

Chanyeol works as a farmer, tending to the field your parents left behind for you.  The crops he produces are one of the main resources for the castle, so you don’t have to struggle that much for a living. 

“You and Chen and Kyungsoo working tomorrow?” You ask, mentioning the names of his friends.

“No!” He replies a bit to chirpily, grinning while he sets the papers down.  “Guess what!”

“What?”

“Guess!”

“Uh, you’re, uh, in for a break?”

“No,”

“Going on a vacation?”

“Sis, you ,”

“Well, sorry!”

“We’re invited to the banquet,”

“Oh—Whoa!” Your eyes bulge in surprise.  “Whoa, whoa, whoa! Really?”

“Yeah!” He giddily grins.  “There were 4 envelopes, but one that came in the mail for you was silver, instead of golden,” He scrunches his nose at the silver envelope he took out.

He hands you the envelope and you turn it in your hands, seeing nothing written on the surface but for your name, “Amara” in tidy, looped letters. 

You stand up from the table and walk towards your room. “Gotta pick out a dress! You too, Chanyeol, properly pick something decent to wear,” You chuckle at his ‘Hey!’.

Your smile disappears as you quickly open the seal of the envelope and read its contents.  The seal had the Kingdom’s mark on it. 

Hello, Sil. 

Yeah, I know where you live and everything else.  Sorry, didn’t mean to intrude on your privacy but even you know the level of caution we’re taking for this banquet; this much until a personal letter from the Kingdom to you.  Your identity and information is only between me and The Lady, though, you have our words on keeping it an absolute secret so don’t worry.  You’re invited to the banquet.  As you read this letter, another mail will come.  Everything is arranged and prepared beforehand.  Your brother and his friends will be safe.

Regards, Q.

Sorry again.’

Below Q’s signature is a sad face, drawn with the of the same pen he used to write the letter.  You know the Kingdom’s capability, so although you wished to punch Q in the mask, you know that you’re safe.  And true enough, as you closed the envelope, the mailman announced the incoming mail in front of your house.

“I’ll get it!” You rush out of your room and onto the front door before Chanyeol could make a move.  You take out the surprisingly large package from the man and thank him, running back in the house and in your room to look at its contents. 

“Stop running around, sis.  You’ll get hurt,” Chanyeol says through the door.

You chuckle at his worried tone and yell back, “I’m the sister!”

Quietly, you rip the package’s wrapping and can’t help but gasp at the contents .  In it, comes a black dress, its body sequined with silver beads, running diagonally down the torso and down the edge of the split side.  A red lipstick and dark eyeshadow palette is also in the package, a message with Q’s writing stuck on it, saying ‘Looks good with your hair and eyes,’ You wonder, since when did Q start paying attention to your eyes?

But under the dress, a small black purse is seen and you pull out its contents, presenting your eyes with a full body, black leotard, complete with its built in boots, the thigh and waist occupied with a practical toolbelt.  It had useful equipments in it, something you’re excited about using.  You notice, too, that on the underside of the sleeves, several straps can be seen, something you see a perfect fit as for your knives.  “How the heck did this fit into this?”

With a surprise, you can also tuck the suit back into the purse.  The silver heels at the bottom sparkles beatifully, and you shake your head, wondering, again, about how much money they spent for this package.   

Looking at the bottom of the box, you notice another note.  Pulling it out, you read what’s written on it.

Be careful,’