Love yourself

The Unrelated Family

“Amber wake up.” Victoria patted Amber’s head that was covered by the blanket. Seeing how Amber didn’t respond Victoria lift the blanket up revealing the hiding girl.

 

“Amber time to go to school.” Victoria pulled still sleepy head up and shaking her trying to shake the sleepiness away.

 

“Unnie I think I’m sick.” Amber muttered which is obviously a lie – Victoria could tell straight away.

 

“No excuse. You didn’t go yesterday. You cannot miss out another day of school.” Victoria dragged Amber out to the bathroom, pushing her to wash up and get ready.

 

Amber sighed and unwillingly start brushing her teeth and getting ready.

 

While Amber was getting dressed Soojung was quietly sitting and eating the delicious breakfast made by Victoria.

 

“Umma I want second.” Soojung raised her bowl showing her innocent bright smile. Victoria smiled and took the bowl giving a second to the still growing girl.

 

Amber finally done and walked out wearing her daily clothes – the two goes to a school which uniform is not required so they can wear anything they want. She ate the breakfast that Victoria prepared and afterward the both of them head off to school.

 

“Make sure Amber goes to school.” Victoria quietly whispered to Soojung when Amber was putting her sneakers on. Soojung gave Victoria a nod and smile before following the older girl out.

 

The school was not far from their place so they just walk there. Amber slowed down her walking pace since she didn’t want to go to school. Seeing how Amber is so behind Soojung turn around and held Amber’s hand dragging the older girl to walk faster.

 

“We’re going to be late if you walk this slowly.” Soojung muttered and used up her full strength to drag the older girl forward.

 

With the dragging and pulling they finally reached school. Right before they enter the school gate Amber stood still. It seem like her mind had a lot going through.

 

“Soojung go to class.” Amber patted the younger girl and pushing her forward.

 

“What about you?” She innocently asked.

 

“Just go.” Amber pushed Soojung harder that the little girl lost her balance and fell on the ground. Amber felt guilty but this was her chance to run away, so refraining herself from pulling the girl up Amber clenched her fist and running off to the opposite direction.

 

“UNNIE!” Soojung shouted and quickly push herself up to run after Amber.

 

Although Amber is quick but Soojung isn’t slow either. She didn’t give up although she was puffed out and continued to chase after the older girl. Turning a corner Soojung finally lost Amber. But Soojung didn’t give up she circled around the place and finally end up at the park where Amber once took her to after school. Then she finally found Amber sitting on the bench alone – crying.

 

“Unnie…” Soojung was beyond shocked at the tears covering her face. She never thought Amber has such a weak side despite her outer look. Soojung slowly motion towards Amber and sat next to her. Hearing the familiar voice Amber quickly wipes her tears away.

 

“Go away Soojung.” Amber muttered. But Soojung didn’t listen instead she sat closer.

 

Amber continued to sob while Soojung just sat there quietly until Amber finally breaks the silent.

 

“I hate school.” She confessed. “I thought its fun and that I’m going to meet lots of new friends but instead I just want to be alone.”

 

Soojung stay quiet. They go to the same school and she’s no stupid. She have already heard all the bad things other kids said about Amber – the way she looks, the way she dress and how she’s actually a boy. The boys would try to pull her pants down seeing if she is actually a boy and girls would avoid being near her.

 

“I hate myself.” Amber sobbed wiping the tears that’s flowing from her eyes.

 

Soojung jumps off the bench and stood right in front of Amber. She reaches her hands out and held them tightly.

 

“You’re not along. You have me.” She spoke softly surprising the crying girl.

 

Amber lifts her head up seeing a different expression on Soojung’s face.

 

“I will be by your side forever so that you’re not alone.” Soojung added and it really surprised Amber to hear such words from a little kid.

 

Those words gave Amber strength. Wiping the tears off her face Amber stood up and held Soojung’s little hand.

 

“Let’s go get something to eat.” Amber chuckled. After crying her eyes out she felt hungry.

 

The two didn’t end up going to school and just spend a day out together having fun. With Soojung beside Amber felt a lot better and it lifted her mood up. It was almost 7pm by the time the two came back home, stomach filled up and forgot about the adult waiting for them. They entered and saw a very angry Victoria, arms crossed, sitting at the dining table with dinner prepared.

 

“Where did you two go? The school called me and told me you two didn’t go to school today.” Victoria said without looking at her two kids.

 

The two kids froze on the spot, scared seeing an angry Victoria that they never seen before.

 

“Sorry. I promise I won’t miss school again.” Amber apologized. Her head drop low feeling very guilty.

 

Hearing Amber’s apology Victoria couldn’t be angry any longer. Although she was angry with the two kids but inside she was worried so much since it was getting late. She even panicked and wanting to randomly run around the neighborhood to search for them.

 

“Come and eat dinner.” Victoria commanded. Although the two are already full but they couldn’t possibly miss out on Victoria’s cooking.

 

Victoria didn’t scold them and was like usually treating them so nicely and motherly.

 

Amber lay on bed, her mind was filled up with thoughts, thoughts that probably she shouldn’t be thinking about at her age.

 

Amber woke up extra early and spent a longer time in the bathroom. She stood in front of the mirror and just staring at herself. She smiled before leaving the bathroom.

 

“Love yourself.”

 

She wrote on the mirror invisibly with water.

 

It seems she sorted everything out last night and now she is a new Amber.

 

“Good morning Umma.” Amber greeted the busy adult that was cooking up breakfast.

 

Victoria quickly turned around and showed a surprised expression. She thought she heard it wrong, yesterday the girl was still calling her Unnie and today it’s Umma, just like how Soojung calls her. Victoria didn’t question why and just smiled loving what she heard in the early morning.

 

A/N: Shake That Brass is amazing! 👍 👍 👍