Reality.

Coma. (Threequel to One Shot and Betrayal.)
Back at home, Himchan heard his mobile ring. The ID showed it was Yongguk and answered immediately.
 
“Yongguk? Everything okay?”
 
There wasn’t a reply at first, just silence. Then a heavy sob broke out. A soft, yet heavy hurting sob.
 
“Yongguk?! Yongguk, what’s wrong? Tell me what’s wrong, please!” Himchan was suddenly alarmed. Yongguk was crying. Their leader was crying.
 
“Bring everyone to the hospital.”
 
Himchan did not hesitate to assure him they’d all be there as soon as possible. Yongguk called Jongup’s family, Youngjun and Youngjae’s police team. His heart felt heavy, telling them all they had to come – no matter what.
 
Hana and Youngjun were the last ones to arrive because of distance, along with Jongup’s family. “Did Yongguk tell you to come too?” Miyoung asked, as they headed towards the entrance of the hospital. The pair nodded.
 

They all slowly realised what was happening, before even seeing what was going to happen.

 


The boys had arrived first, witnessing Yongguk and a doctor standing by the bed.
 
There laid Youngjae. In a coma, the person wouldn’t move because they were unconscious. But this time, it was different. He looked so pale and lifeless that it was alarming.
 
Daehyun was the first to speak. “W-What’s going on?”
 
Yongguk didn’t say anything, but his face broke into a soft sob again. “I-I don’t know. Youngjae he-“ but he couldn’t carry on. He choked on his words, refusing to look anymore.
 
The doctor who was also in the room spoke up at this point; “We did all we could. But he couldn’t make it. We’re really sorry.”
 
Every word hit them all in the heart. He didn’t make it… Youngjae didn’t make it. He was really gone. The doctor left the room, letting them know that if they needed anything, he would be right outside.
 
Haru turned away, burying her face right into her parents’ embrace. Miyoung and Minki had a hard time believing this too.
 
Hana looked over at Youngjun, as so did Jongup to Zelo. Tears stung their eyes at the reality. Himchan stood there frozen, not knowing what to do. He stood there, wondering if anything else could help.
 
Hyosung, Jieun and Sunhwa looked at JB, who couldn’t even keep his head up. Silently and angrily, he silently broke down to himself – feeling like he had let down everyone; especially his best friend that was now gone, Yoo Youngjae.
 
“N-No… This can’t be…” Daehyun whispered quietly. His breathing became sharper and heavier. “This can’t be…” he said again, refusing to believe Youngjae was gone.
 
A cry could be heard from Hana’s backpack. Youngjun reached into her bag and out crawled Ace. He was whining, as if he was hurt or upset by something. He quietly leaped on Youngjae’s bed and crawled up to his face, nuzzling his cheek against Youngjae’s neck.
 
“Ace, Youngjae isn’t going to wake up...” Hana managed to say through her stifled sobs. Ace refused to listen to her and carried on trying to grab Youngjae’s attention by his cheek affectionately. He barked quietly. “Shh...” Hana quietly cooed Ace, picking the crying puppy up and softly comforting him in her arms. “Ace, please calm down.” Her hands were shaking.
 
“Youngjae? I’m here….” Daehyun managed to choke out. The very name broke him heart, tore it apart and shredded it into a million pieces. “Youngjae, I’m here… So you’ve got to wake up.” his eyes were watery. He hesitated to touch Youngjae’s peaceful face, afraid to never see Youngjae open his eyes again. “Please?” he continued to whisper, not wanting to believe this was reality. That Youngjae was dead. “Please don’t leave me…” before he knew it, he was on his knees, because he couldn’t even say goodbye to the man he loved dearly. He covered his own face in disbelief, his sight was blurred with tears.
 
He thought about Youngjae’s smile, his laugh on happy days. Days when he would come home crying because someone he was attached to had passed away or he felt like he failed a mission to save someone. Days where he would visit children who were scarred from their past, just like he was. Despite all those days, Youngjae would always come home and Daehyun would be able to see him. And because of Youngjae, Daehyun could smile. He could love. He could be happy.
 
But it hurt to know that he would never see Youngjae come home again. He knew that nothing was ever going to be the same again. Because of Youngjae, he could no longer smile, no longer love and no longer be happy.
 
Eventually, Daehyun cried so loud that it hurt. He was crying his heart out. “Youngjae don’t leave me, please!” He wanted to see Youngjae again. To say sorry, to say that he loved him and that no matter what, he would always love him.
 
“Youngjae I-“ but Daehyun couldn’t carry on. He choked and sobbed endlessly. That night was the longest night in Daehyun’s life. The longest, and the most painful.
 
Don’t leave me. I beg you.
 

Daehyun’s sight was blurry, as he looked around slowly to become familiar with his surroundings. In a matter of time, he realised that he was at home. He forgot what day it was, and how long it had been since the night of Youngjae’s death. Even just thinking about that night stabbed him in the heart. He closed his eyes again. It reminded him why he liked sleeping so much. Sleeping helped him forget about Youngjae because when he woke up, Youngjae was all he thought about.
 
Out of all people, he despised Yongguk the most. Yongguk was the last person Youngjae saw before he died. Now their leader wasn’t even talking to them.
 
It had been in fact, 3 days since Youngjae died. Just 3 days. But to Daehyun, it felt like weeks. Months. Years. He felt himself ageing with every breath he took. He had stayed in his room for 3 days in bed, expecting Youngjae to walk through the door from work. He was still expecting everything to be a lie, a joke. That in fact, Youngjae was alive. But he would suddenly remember the night Youngjae was fatally stabbed and only two weeks later after falling into a coma, he died. His face crinkled again, at the thought of Youngjae gone forever, as more silent tears fell from his face.
 
He just wanted Youngjae back.
 
He wanted Youngjae in his arms, to hold him, to love him.
 
But instead, he spent his days and nights crying.
 
Everything he needed was taken away from him and everything he dreaded, truly haunted him.
 
Himchan, Jongup and Zelo were trying their hardest to get back into their daily routine again but it was so hard. They would try to wake up, eat, enjoy life… But how could they? They felt guilty if they did so. Because it would’ve meant they got over Youngjae’s death.
 
“Are you hungry?” Daehyun heard Himchan ask, gently as he usually does now. “Do you want to eat something?” But Daehyun didn’t need to reply. Himchan already knew what the answer was. “Let me know if you need something.”
 
Yongguk had locked himself in his studio room ever since he came back home. He refused to come out, completely. Out of all people, Daehyun wanted to talk to Yongguk the most. He wanted to know what Youngjae told him and his last words before he died. But the bastard didn’t utter a word the moment he got home and he refused to see anyone.
 
Daehyun sat up on his bed. Youngjae’s drawer was slightly open, with a photo sticking out, amongst many documents. Daehyun carefully took out the photo and saw it was his own family. He saw his mother smiling prettily and his father grinning proudly. Even Daehyun himself was giving the camera a cheeky smile. They were such good parents to him. Then his eyes landed on someone. His smiling brother who turned out to be sinister. His blood was boiling. He wanted to see one person and that one person only. That person who killed his parents. That person who killed Youngjae. That person who he vowed revenge against.
 
Without hesitation, he ripped the part of the photo that had his brother’s face on it, scrunching it up as tight as he could.
 

“Officer Jaebum, are you listening?”
 
“Sorry, what did you say Sir?” he snapped out immediately, almost forgetting for a second that he was still at work.
 
“You seem so distracted. Are you sure you don’t want to take a break? Get some rest with Team 0128. I can sort this out, don’t worry.”
 
“Sorry I just… I want to do this. I have to do this, Sir. For Youngjae. And for everyone I’ve betrayed.”
 
“Are you sure? I can get another department to help you out with this as well.”
 
“I would be grateful if you could.” Jaebum responded with dry lips. “Thank you Commissioner.”
 
His mind was lost in another place, reminiscing about his high school days with Youngjae and how he wanted them back. He missed those days and he just wanted to go back so badly.
 

Daehyun waited for the perfect moment to slip out when no one was going to check up on him for the rest of the night. Once he was out of there, he began his search for him. Even the slightest thought of him made his blood boil.
 
The streets were dark, the only source of light being the street lights and bright signs from shops that he would walk past. He saw the building not far away from him.
 
This was it.
 
This could be the night Daehyun would be killed.
 
He didn’t hesitate to carry on walking. A few steps away, he could already hear music and see two people hanging about outside. As soon as they saw Daehyun’s face, they stopped talking completely.
 
One of them scoffed in disbelief and amusement. “Jung Daehyun?”
 
“Tell me where Daewoon is.” Daehyun said bluntly. He laughed at his friend over how Daehyun was literally one against too many in this area but as he opened his mouth to respond, Daehyun took the scruffy young looking man into his grip and pointed a pen knife to his throat. Daehyun was aware that everyone knew what happened to Youngjae. News got around pretty fast. “You think I’m joking? Is this a ing joke to you?” Daehyun threatened, pressing the knife just a little deeper.
 
“Hey!” The man’s friend was about to make a move when Daehyun had caught him. He kicked the stranger in the knee, causing him to fall to the ground in pain.
 
“Don’t around, or you and your friend here ends up just like Youngjae.” the name sliced his heart, as he remembered for a slight second who and what Youngjae was to him. He realised he had to keep a stern face, or they would think he was easy. “Now where is Daewoon?”
 
“We don’t know. Daewoon headed out just 10 minutes ago but he didn’t say where he was going.” the guy under Daehyun’s grip tried to explain.
 
Daehyun removed his grip from this man and pushed him away. “Of course he wouldn’t.” Daehyun looked ahead and saw there was an apartment building nearby, with many alleyways and shortcuts. He turned his view back to the pair of troublemakers, who were now aware of Daehyun’s ability to hurt them. He wanted to say so many things to help them stay away from Daewoon. They only looked about 20 years. Daehyun had exceeded twice that age already. He wanted them to follow the right path – and the only way that would be possible would be to get rid of the cause that made all this happen in the first place.
 
Get rid of Jung Daewoon, his blood brother.
 
I can’t breathe living without you.
I don’t even want to think about it.
 

 
Just when I was about to post this chapter last month, the news about Ladies' Code's severe car accident gave me no choice but to postpone updating. It's frightening that EunB was only 22 years when she passed so suddenly and unexpectedly. Futhermore, it's spine-chilling how RiSe was in a coma and died a few days later, after I had posted the chapter that Youngjae died from his coma too. I felt that it was only right to leave for a month and come back when things are better, in respect for their families, their members and the people they've worked with, their friends and their fans. They will never be forgotten
 
Also! It's clear that you readers were shocked at the unexpected chapter where Youngjae goes. I've made you wait 10 chapters to find out what would happen to Youngjae and the fact that you guys have stuck with me for so long - I really applaud you for that. Your comments brought a smile to my face, despite the tragedy in this and I will work hard as your author to keep going. Thank you!