Lab Partners

Living Paradise

 

We both don't break eye contact, we both take a sip from our cups. I see him smirk and some of the liquid off of his begging lips. I wonder what is he thinking about?

 

For the next hour or so we just stand around and talk, eating the mini breakfast Misun brought. The whole time I can't take my eyes off of my teacher. He can but I know it's only so I won't think I got him wrapped around my finger. I do but not tight yet.

 

When the bells rings to announce the beginning of the school day. Everyone who doesn't belong here this hour disappears out the door. Most of them dismiss themselves to me. Even my rival not so rival because I am more beloved Park Tae Su said bye to me. I smile at that thought she knows who's best.

 

XXX

“Since we haven't done any real work, only discussed I want all of you to turn in a minimum of 7 paragraphs on why you prefer an ereader to an actually book or vise-verse.” Mr. Jang says. Groans are heard from several students.

 

“Now for those who chose not to do it will have to present to the class. On any topic I chose and possible detention.” Mr. Jang warns. I can see him looking directly at me now. Almost begging to me to challenge him. When I step up he continues.

 

“It will be due on Tuesday, that gives you 5 days including today.” he finishes off we all quietly waiting for the bell to ring. When it rings, I walk out not looking back.

 

My next class is science probably my worst subject because Mrs. Kim is such a bore and her voice is so monotone that I fall asleep in her class almost everyday. Unfortunately Misun isn't in this class with so I have to borrow Woo Ji notes and I hate to do that.

 

I take my seat at my lab table behind a girl that never stops taking unless I yank her hair so I can sleep. Poor Mrs. Kim never notices, she is so damn short that that she can't see past some students heads account of their heights and she is ancient so she rarely walks around. Even when we do labs and I think she should because anything can happen. Someone might just blow up this damn school. I grin now that is a thought.

 

The moment the bell rings to start this dragging period she starts writing something on the overhead. Someone dims the light so we can see.

 

It reads “Lab Partners: then she numbers it from 1 to 15. Someone cheers. Even I sit up slightly, we get to choose our lab partners.

 

“Now everyone as you already know I am Mrs. Kim in case you missed yesterday or you have never been to this school.” she pauses looking around for new faces.

 

“As you see I have written the words Lab Partners on the overhead. Now all you think that you will get to chose your partners right?” she says.

 

“Yes” the class choruses happily, “It's true in fact” she pauses once more because people cheer. “You do but not on the way you think” she goes on. This everyone is quite. Confused. Her voice is no longer boring or monotone.

 

She moves behind her desk and we hear her open a drawer. She pulls put a black hat. We all are confused at these point for sure.

 

“Now I will put all your names in this hat and someone will pick who two souls will be partners for a year of chemistry.” she looks around at all of our faces. Waiting for someone to object.

 

“Shin can you please pull the first two names?” she asks Shin. He gets up and walks towards the hat.

 

We all hold our breathes as he pulls the first two names. “Simon and Jin Young” he calls.

 

“Now write your names on the overhead and seat together at the first table” Mrs. Kim directs them. They get up and so the people at the first table to do to sit in their old seats. Simon and Jin Young write their names on the board and sit back down. At them moment I panic. I don't want to end up with certain people. I look around for the first time. Then I see who I don't want to see. I grit my teeth if she is my partner then I might just die.

 

XXX

As the period goes on and my name doesn't get called my on edge behavior tights. Even more when her name isn't called.

Another two names are called leaving only six names left. Song Joo goes up and picks the two necks names. His moments are so slow, as if I were watching in slow-mo. He picks up one slip of paper then he reaches in for another. He unfolds the slips carefully and read the first name.

 

“Tae Su” he announces. I bite my lower lip. Then he picks up the second lip. He takes what seems eternality to read this one.

 

“And Hyuna” he says almost in a whisper. Everyone doesn't move, the small chatter that filled the room dissolves. Even the air is still. I look at Mrs. Kim she isn't responding. Woo Ji who is still sitting next to me doesn't even tell me to go up. I stay as still as a marble statue. I can't breathe or think properly. My mind is going crazy. I glance at Tae Su who is sitting to the row next to mine, two tables up. She is shocked even worst then me.

 

I pull myself together and almost like a robot I get up. I take a step then another until I reach the overhead. No one speaks. I bend my head down to look at the number 13. I print my name on the space and I go back to my new table to sit.

 

Tae Su as in trance as myself also gets up and does the same. Then soundless she sits down next to me. For the rest of the period we sit there. No one dares makes any kind of sound. No texting even. It's so quite we can the define tik-tock of the clock.

 

The bells ring comes and goes. We don't do anything. I sit there so does the rest of the class unmoved by the sound. As the halls quite down we hear a loud knock on the door a making all of is jump. Then the door opens. I student walks into curious then another and so forth.

 

We all slowly get up and walk to our next class, not saying a single word, when I enter my next class I don't know how many minutes late the teacher doesn't ask. I just sit down and remain dead silent. I pull out of journal to joint my feelings down. It's advisory anyways. It's like a free period but where we discuss certain things. Really anything.

 

I look at the back of the head if the guy in front of me. I take a deep breath.

 

“Park Tae Su is my partner” I say into his head, breaking the silence.


A/N

Guess what? other people think my Hyuna's advise to her sister is on point. Girl's Day did think so with Female President. who would guess this would go with their song. which i saw just today. anywyas i love them. hey does anyone want to talk to me i want to make new friends? im really plesant and remarkable.