Family Picture

Living Paradise

We all sit around talking and laughing early in the morning. Kim Byung stories make my stomach ache from the laughter. For the first time in a while I find a like a normal student not The Kim Hyuna who is everyone is intimidated by.

 

As Byung starts telling us about a time when he rode his bike into a flagpole when talking to a girl. I notice that Misun isn't sitting among my clique of “friends” I look around looking for the kid and for the first time I notice Mr. Jang. But I am more shocked to see Misun talking to him partially all over him. She is one of her “happy” moods that I slightly cringe at.

 

At this moment all the jokes or stories Byung tells don't interest me but Mr. Jang and Misun. I watch them as attentive as a hawk watches it's prey.

 

When the bells rings. She doesn't make any signs of moving. What is she playing? Mr. Jang basically has to drag her back to her seat, not even looking at me. I feel a slight tightness in my stomach that I have never had.

 

He goes on about how we have an assignment due every Friday that's worth 30 points or something? I don't care at the moment that is. I feel myself getting more angry at him when he doesn't look at me.

 

As I write I break the lend of my pencil so many times, I all together I give up on writing. As class goes on, I sent him dirty mean look. Why? I'm not completely sure. Maybe because I feel rejected? I scoff at the thought. That can't be possible.

 

The bell rings, I gather up my things and quickly exit the room to wait for Misun to come out. People stated filing out and Misun didn't come out. I grow frustrated. The halls clear, most of the student body has class downstairs 2nd period. After a couple of second I hear someone erasing something and squeaking of maker. f I can't confront her I'll just do it to him. I already have him wrapped around my finger.

 

As I move closer to the door, the squeaking stops. Then I hear voices. “Mr. Jang I was wondering” I instantly recognize Misun's cheery voice. I stand in the doorway. I look at them so close. Him looking down at her smiling face.

 

“If you would have lunch with me?” she says making me grit my teeth. I yelled out outrages. “What?!” I say stomping my foot angrily on the floor.

 

Both Misun and Mr. Jang turn to face me. Misun looks glad to see me while Mr. Jang lack that same feeling and merely looks away.

 

Misun approaches me and hugs me. I stare at her astonished. “Unnie I am so glad you joined us. I was just asking Mr. Jang if he would have lunch with me so i an finish telling him about my weekend. And since you didn't get a chance to hear it in the morning why don't you join us” she says look up at me with smile. She lets go and I feel more calm. Mr. Jang stands cautions His eyes quite alert.

 

“Now will you come?” Mr. Jang asks into my eyes. “No I have somewhere I have to be” I reply lying. He lifts up his eyebrow suspiciously.

 

“You two should get to class or you will be late” he says as he students starts to pour in. As we walk out Misun says goodbye to me. As I walk to my next class I wonder what I was feeling earlier.

 

XXX

When I enter my key into the keyhole I feel an eerie silence. I am closing the door behind me when I notice my umma sitting on the couch looking quite stern.

 

“Sit down Hyun Ah” she says barely moving a muscle. I make my way to sit across from her, unsure of the recurrent situation. Her black eyes watch me as I sit down.

 

“Where were you yesterday?” she says her lips barely moving.

 

“Where I told you I'd be at Ji Yoon's house” I say. She gets up and start walking in front of me. Her heels clicking on the cold floor. As my umma walks back and forth I see her tight bun at the tightest I ever seen it.

 

“And this morning?” she says standing away from me looking at the grandfather clock.

 

“At Misun house” I say not lying. She turn to face me. Her eyes wild. “Don't lie to me. Her mother called me and she said that you barely came to her house at around 7” she says coldly. Her eyes have a glint of disappoint that is if she ever felt proud of me

 

“Now” she says sitting next to me. Instantly making my body cold. “I am going to ask you this once again. Where were you this morning?” she says the last part so slow and careful.

 

At that moment I hear eveything I couldn't hear the clock's steady tick-tock. The sound of the “calming” water of the fish aquarium. I take a deep breath and breathe out.

 

“At Ji Yoon's house” I say. “Don't lie to me!” she screeches. “I know where you were out” she says standing up and pulling me up with her. I stand facing her. Her height almost to mine. She glares deep into my eyes. “I did not raise a !” her face tightens. She raises her hand. I brae myself for the embrace of years.

 

Her hand smacks my face sending my head to the side. And sending me a familiar feeling back. Tears don't stream down my face unlike in my childhood

 

I hear whimpering. “Umma!” a small cry. I place my hand on my check and turn to face my sister standing at the door, crying softly.

 

I close my eyes, taking the opportunity. I race up the stairs and lock my door. Knowing that my mother would run to Subin to try to cover up what she saw. Moments later I hear running up the stairs and pounding on my door.

 

“Unnie please come out!” I hear the poor sobs of my younger sister. I open my closet and start looking for my suitcase. I find it. And start taking my clothes up the hanger. I roughly shove my belongings inside of it. The frantic screaming goes on but I try blocking it out of my head.

A

When I am done I look around my room searching for something. By my nightstand there is a picture of me and Subin. I glance at it and shove it in my suitcase. I zip it ip and brace myself for the door. I relax my mind and breathe. I open the door.

 

I see Subin crying hysterically on the floor next to my door. She looks up. “Unnie?” she says but I painfully ignore her. I start walking down the stairs. Her calls attacking my mind. My vision begins to blur as I reach the front door. I call hear my mother asking me “Where do you think you are going” but I ignore it was a second thought.

 

I hear my name being yelled at me. The cold night air greets me. The pleading voice of Subin echo into my mind. I start “running” up the street. With my suitcase rolling up behind me.

 

At the top of the hill I stand looking down. My sister still struggling in my mothers arms and her silent cries. I close my eyes not wanting to remember this way. I turn around and go back to walking. Going to the place that might be my true home that is tore from Subin.


A/N

I have less then a month till school. So i am really have to get to writing. Wish me Luck. I hope you notices a couple things in this chapter. P.S it's more fun to party on Sundays forreal anyways enjoy life.