For the Family

Living Paradise

I watch as my umma takes a sip of her tea. The steam waves away, she takes a good look at me as she sets her tea cup down. “Hyunseung-ah how do you feel about going on a blind date?” she pauses. “My friend's daughter is upcoming business women and might inherit the family business. It's good for the family as you already know” she finishes reminding me of the real purpose of a blind date.

 

I don't know how to respond. My umma hasn't even brought this up since I became a teacher and I haven't gave it much thought since. “I don't think I'm ready since Sung Areum” I tell her using Sung Areum as an excuse. I can see her soften a bit.

 

"Hyunseung-ah, I respect your thinking but I must tell you. Even your sister is looking at marriage currently” she says lightly but it goes deep. Wow! I didn't even know Geurim-ah had caved into umma.

 

"Since when?” I ask her. She thinks for a bit.

"It's been a month or so. Geurim-ah been dating the son of the director at Foreign Language school” she informs. Geurim-ah didn't even mention it last time I saw her.

 

"It's good reputation and I want grandchild soon” she reminds me of another reasonfor the blind date. She gets up and doesn't even let me answer.

 

"Think about it. I'll send you a picture of her”. Suddenly a maid appears picking up the tray of tea. That's new. Umma has already benefited from Geurim-ah's dating, she expects the same from me. “Sumi-ssi please take care of my son. I'm going to the department store with some friends” Sumi-ssi bows as my umma leaves.

 

She just leaves me sitting there with this heavy decision. It's something that has been waiting to happen. But the timing is completely off. My thoughts are interrupted by a ding, it's my phone. It's a message from my umma. I open and find a picture of a very pretty girl. “Her name is Park Hee Young and she just arrived from America” it reads.

 

I sigh profoundly. Sooner or later I knew I was gonna receive my punishment for sleeping with my student and I have a feeling this just the beginning.  


Happy New Years! To all my readers. A bit late but it's the thought that counts. EnjoyXD