Cake anybody?

A Time For Us

Chapter twelve

Nobody’s (mine) POV

**************************************************************

After dinner, the tables were cleared and after dinner tea was served. Hyun Joong once again leaned down to Young Saeng.

“How about we cut the cake you made, before I take you home..?” Young Saeng eyes widened as he had forgotten all about it till now. He nodded to Hyun Joong, as he scooted back, and going to get the cake.

“Young Saeng ssi… where are you going..?” Kyu Jong asked.

“I’m sorry I forgotten all about the cake that I brought; Hyun Joong ah thought it would go nice with the tea.” Young Saeng answered, before heading back to the sitting room, where the cake was at. Coming back into the dining room, he went back to the table; unwrapping the cake from the wrapping.

“Wahhhh… *Mujigaeddeok… Young Saeng ssi you made this..!” Kyu Jong asked excitedly; staring at the cake in wonder. Hyun Joong smiled as his family gushed over Young Saeng’s skills in baking; and it made him smile like no other to see his mother somewhat green with envy. For the life of him, Hyun Joong could not think of a time that his mother made a cake like this for any holiday, birthday, or special occasion. It has always been his grandmother that would make the cake, so for a boy, a young boy at that, show up with not only traditional rice cakes, but a cake as well; Hyun Joong knew his mother was now going to put up a fight with Young Saeng.

“Hyun Joong ah..! Hey are you listening to me..?” Hyun Joong looked at Young Saeng who seemed to be waiting for him to answer, whatever question or statement he has spoken, but Hyun Joong wasn’t sure what it was about.

“I’m sorry, what was it that you said?” Young Saeng scrunched up his face for a second, before he repeated himself.

“I was asking if you would like a piece.” Hyun Joong smiled and nodded.

“Yes I would please…” Young Saeng raised his eyebrow, as Hyun Joong had used extra formal speech to him. So, cutting him a piece, he turned his body completely towards Hyun Joong handing him the plate with both hands.

“Please enjoy it Kim Hyun Joong ssi…” Hyun Joong took the plate, and Young Saeng bowed 45 degrees, before turning back to the cake. Hyun Joong scoffed, rolling his eyes and setting the plate down.

It didn’t pass Hyun Joong’s mother how different her son was being; Hyun Joong has never been like this. The only person he has ever brought home was Uee when he brought her to meet them. Now, there was an unknown boy, which seemed to take all of his attention away from the family. Even now, the boy was clearly being rude to her very well brought up son, and all he was doing is being rude back; or what she thought others would see as ‘playful’. It was so unlike her son to be ’playful’, and it worried her to know end. He was going to be married soon, and the looks the young man was giving him, it made her shiver in disgust. It was as if he wanted to be the one her son was engaged to, like this visit was a meeting of family.

It suddenly dawned on her that this is what this was… This was a formal meeting. For some reason, that she did not understand, this young man thought that he will be able to have her son, but as soon as he was gone; she was going to have a talk with her son, maybe he will listen to her, like he always does.

***** Nobody’s POV *****

Dessert was finished and Young Saeng was sent off with Kyu Jong, as Hyun Joong’s mother asked Hyun Joong to stay behind so they could have a chat.

“I’m sorry I can’t take you home; my mother demands that I have a chat with her... But I am willing to say no, if you want me to take you home.” Young Saeng smiled, but shook his head.

“It’s okay; I am sure what you mother has to say is very important, so you should stay… besides I can take of myself.” Young Saeng said giving Hyun Joong a wink, before heading for the door where Kyu Jong was waiting for him; as they left through the door, Young Saeng turned around half way, giving him one last wave before letting the door close completely. Hyun Joong smiled widely, and turned away going back to the sitting room, where his mother and grandmother was sitting.

“So, what do you think? He is something else huh?” Hyun Joong said joyfully.

“Well I must say his baking is something to speak of to my friends at tea time. I haven’t eaten sweets like that since I was little, and my own grandmother used to make it. He must have done everything the old fashion way. Has he made other things?” Hyun Joong sat forward, and smiled widely.

“Yes he has… he’s made injeolmi, and the rice cakes with edible flowers on them. I told him that I like sweets that are not too sweet and more traditional Korean way; and ever since he has made them for me.” His grandmother sat forward eagerly.

“He can make injeolmi…  You have tasted it before?”

“De, halmoni… It tastes almost the same as you make it for *chuseok…” before Hyun Joong could go into detail his mother finally had, had enough of talking about Young Saeng, as she interrupted him in the middle of his sentence.

“I don’t like him…”

“What..? What do you mean that you don’t like him?” Hyun Joong questioned almost instantly.

“I mean… What is his class? And I never really got to ask him, how exactly you two met. Was it at work or was it somewhere else?” Hyun Joong froze; he knew this was going to come up, but he was hoping that he would have some time to think of something, but when his mother asked; now it seemed his grandmother wanted to know as well.

“Well… actually… he is a worker at the company… Well… he is a… janitor at my company. I meet him one night when I was staying late, we have been friends ever since; but I don’t see what that has to do with anything though.”

“Hyun Joong ah, you know better than to associate with people outside of you own status… What would the others think? What about Uee..? What do you think she would say if she knew you were friends with a day laborer? Besides it is not like you can just take him with you to formal places; He could never go to a party with us, or your wedding at that. Don’t you think that it is unfair to him..?”

“He still is a respectable person, and very polite; the only thing that is wrong with him is… is… well to be honest there is nothing wrong with him. Meeting him was one of the best moments in my life, and I am glad to have him as a friend. And I don’t care what others have to say about him; he is my friend, and if I wanted him at my wedding, then there is nothing they could say about it.” Hyun Joong stood up, trying not to let his anger get the best of him, and cause him to raise his voice to his mother. However, what his mother had to say next startled him.

“I think he is trying to make you his own..! There is something about him that makes me nervous Hyun Joong ah. I know you don’t want to hear it, or don’t want to admit it, but I think the only reason he is your friend is because he might want your money.” Hyun Joong just stood there staring at his mother in disbelief; it was a few minutes before he actually moved, and it was to the door grabbing his coat.

“I will forget that you ever said that eommonie, and I will see you next week for dinner.” Hyun Joong said as politely as he could, leaving the house before he lost his temper.

As soon as the door closed, Hyun Joong’s mother went towards the phone, and quickly dialed Uee’s number.

“Yeobosayo, Uee ssi… I need you come home… there is something wrong with Hyun Joong ah.”

******************************************************************************************

So what do you think? Not liking the mother so much huh? Well please leave me a comment and tell me what ya think.

*Chuseok: this is the name of the Korean Thanksgiving... Injeolmi is a dish that is sometimes nade for as a desert or snack *please see last chapter to know what injeolmi is XD

Till next time bye now. XD