Silver

Sounds

 

Hyukjae finished his performance; he smiled and waved at the source of claps. The stage was so familiar to him, that he knew where to lead his steps.

“You’re great as ever! Silver.”

Hyukjae turned to the woman, or where he guessed she was. The thing he did perfection with the years was to know where the people that talked to him was.

“Thanks, you’re wonderful too.”

Hyukjae replied with a fluent english to his co-worker, she beamed and tried to hug him when was stopped, she sighed watching Minhwan and pouted walking off.

Hyukjae felt a hand, those warm fingers laced with his ones and he smiled. Minhwan didn’t say anything, just lead him to the dresser room, there Hyukjae took out his contact lenses, a routine he mastered with the years, and Minhwan felt pain, seeing the fake bright brown eyes were laying there over the boudoir.

Hyukjae didn’t see his dull eyes staring at the mirror. Minwhan did and he passed him the shades.

“Curious, how sunglasses are my mark, everybody thinks is cool I wear them even at night.”

Minhwan was there, always. Hyukjae ears told him.

“You look handsome, reporters wrote you’re daring, a fashionist even at night.”

Hyukjae reached his fingers, feeling the wood, make up containers until he touched the mirror.

“My eyes… you remember them?”

Minhwan hugged Hyukjae by the back, and kissed his cheek. The latter didn’t allow the tears fell, he just touched the hands holding him and smiled.

Hyukjae cried for his eyes, he shut himself from rehabilitation, he didn’t want to live, what could a useless dancer can do? Sadistically he answered; nothing. When he couldn’t difference one thing from other he shouted and broke anything nearby.

Once he tried to kill his own self. Minhwan told him “If you die, I’ll die with you.” Hyukjae remembered how from his trembling finger slipped the razor in hands and how the nurse disinfected his wounded neck, good thing the cut wasn’t deep.

Now, those eyes were mysterious to people, laughable.

“When we leave to Seoul?”

Hyukjae asked feeling the soothing moves on his arms and Minhwan sighed pulling off.

“Tomorrow at seven in morning, the day after we land there, we’ll meet the staff.”

Hyukjae nodded, he didn’t know with whom he would work, he told the producer he wanted to kept it as a secret until he landed on Korea, the true, he knew he couldn’t see the papers, so he just ask where and he signed.

“It would be nice if one of the boys is recognized it as the best from Korea, don’t you think?”

“Yes. I heard there would be just the best. From producers, to the casting, don’t worry, you’re already the bestest here, that’s why they asked for you.”

Hyukjae chuckled and bitterly said “They asked for someone that doesn’t exist, not some blind dancer.”

Minhwan wanted to refute when Hyukjae asked “Did you call them, maybe they aren’t korean but I want them there.”   

“They already agreed.”

 

 

Kyuhyun frowned when he saw the whole staff “I can’t find anything else from this Silver, asides he is the best rapper in Broadway, isn’t it funny, a mere korean?”

The producer, Mr. Park coughed and smiled.

“You’re korean, Mr. Cho.”

“Touché.”

Donghae just grinned and his excitement made Kyuhyun smile, he forgot about the whole staff, his mind traveling to his dream in second year of college, if Hyukjae never cheated on him with Minhwan, now… forget it. That is the past, maybe Hyukjae wasn’t now with Minhwan, maybe he was so selfish to even achieve his dream, serves him.

“Even when you’re a great composer, the one who came with Silver is one of the best, he and Silver traveled to England, Italy and China in the past three years, you were just in Germany for four years, so don’t feel offended and work with them.”

Kyuhyun felt his pride a little hurt and grimace but sighed, he haven’t work for real anyway and nodded at Mr. Park.

“I understand, I’ll learn from the best. By the way what is this composer’s name?”

Mr. Park opened his lips when the door was opened. He stood taking a cellphone and nodded.

“Oh, so you’ll be here tomorrow, I thought you arrived yesterday, I see, his performance just allowed him to land today. Those two, get it.”

Mr. Park sighed and turned to Kyuhyun and Donghae.

“Silver isn’t gonna come, he just came, please understand.”

Donghae nodded not minding, after all, this dancer was well renowned.

“Then we’ll come tomorrow, oh!” Donghae stopped at the door “Can I suggest some dancers, the ones here are good, still I want to call my old team from College, they’re great.”

“If Mr. Donghae says so, I’ll believe it, go on, and…” Mr. Park evoked the call and snapped his fingers “I almost forgot, Silver will be here and two more dancers, personally I don’t know them, they aren’t even korean, I just pass this because he said they’re good.”

 

 

Hyukjae breathed the air and smiled.

“I told them you couldn’t make it today, wanna have a tour?”

Hyukjae shook his head and smirked, Minhwan always at his side, taking his hand.

“What about if we go and check the stage, I was told the performance is going to be in Seoul widest theatre.”

Minhwan nodded and talked remembering Hyukjae couldn’t see.

“Let’s go then, you must check the stage today, so when we start nobody will notice you’re blind.”

Hyukjae didn’t flinch at the words, the only thing he couldn’t get over was people looking down at him because his sight, so he lied, it was hard, really complicated, some noticed but say nothing, others just thought at his lack of attention at things not as someone blind but as his coldness, he was glad for that. Minhwan was the only one he allowed to call him blind, because was his reality.

“Sorry, it’s harder for you than me. Every time I’m gonna mess up, you’re there.”

“No, I enjoy being with you, our compositions are the best. And I even study dancing, so I could help you with the description of the choreographies and knowing when they were wrong and when right.”

Hyukjae was grateful for having such friend.

When they were inside the theatre, he heard the silence, his steps and Minhwan’s; the air the offstage, and the rustle of fabric.

“How large is it?”

Hyukjae asked, Minhwan helped him to memorize the number of stairs, the count of steps to the front, how to climb up and down.

“Is a square, around twenty per twenty, really wide.”

Minhwan told Hyukjae where the edge was and he memorized the sound of the wood and his steps over, he touched the fake wall and reconstructed in his mind the whole thing.

“I like it.”

Minhwan tried to see the way Hyukjae did, with his heart and ears, he gave up.

“You could perform nicely here, but this time you’re as a rap composer, just that.”

Hyukjae chuckled.

“I wouldn’t ask for more. Those are the times I want to see, yet I’ll tell you a secret, the pictures in my mind make this stage perfect, I just need you to describe the stage once the scenery is on and the whole thing will be engraved in my mind.”

Minhwan was proud of Hyukjae, even when people told him dumb in university, Minhwan new Hyukjae was a amazing memorizing music, steps and the stage.

It was a must, so he could perform, he couldn’t see but he could felt, heard and learn by heart.

The next day, Hyukjae took a deep breath, Minhwan at his side and he stopped at the electric door of the building, by Minhwan’s words, it was a small building, a dance academic for practicing.

Hyukjae tightened his grip over Minhwan’s hand, the latter smiled softly; he knew Hyukjae was nervous.

“Is okay, there is nothing, just turn confidently to left, follow me.”

Minhwan always whispered at Hyukjae’s ear and held his hand, that’s why everybody always thought they were a couple and of course, they didn’t tell that statement was false. Just agreed to it.

Hyukjae stopped when he heard music, it was fame, and he smiled, he knew it by heart, tattooed on his body and he walked to it.

“How wide is the place?”

“Around five x five, two big speakers at the sides in the front, they take around half meter with wires, there are five people essaying, two girls and three boys, the steps lacks power, the bents are incomplete, her legs doesn’t use her all force and they doesn’t use they stomachs to make the car wheels.”

Hyukjae nodded.

“If you take two steps, you’ll be in, the men are at your left and the woman at your front, don’t, you can make a car wheel if you walked five steps to the front and ten to the right, they really need to know what they’re lacking.”

Minhwan explained and Hyukjae stepped inside, clapping his hands to gain attention, following Minhwan’s words and they raised they brows while Minhwan trailed for few steps behind Hyukjae.

“Who are you?”

One of them asked curiously and Hyukjae smiled, it was weird for them that the man in front of them was wearing shades.

“I see you lack in this dance, wanna a demonstration, for free.”

They rolled their eyes and Hyukjae knew it when he heard slight hisses.

“I bet five dollars I can make a perfect car wheel, you’re in?”

The male dancers nodded, and scoffed when Hyukjae went to the right and inhaled and exhaled. He tried to imagine the place as he his lips; he forgot his sun glasses as he made the twirl in the air and landed perfectly. Minhwan quickly picked the shades and gave them to Hyukjae, who set them over his bridge nose and turned smirking.

“How do you make it? We have been here since yesterday and can’t do it!”

Hyukjae smiled sincerely, remembering the boys he left years ago.

“Put pressure on the pitch of your stomachs, don’t tense, feel the movement and have confidence, it wouldn’t be easy but neither hard.”

They nodded and took out their wallets.

“No need, better treat me dinner next time.”

Hyukjae took Minhwan’s hand and he leaned to the composer, he breathed slowly, relaxing.

“I’m nervous.”

Minhwan chuckled, “I didn’t see it when you were in the practice room minutes ago.”

“Funny.” Hyukjae scoffed, he opened the door and, of course, it was nothing, silence welcomed him and he didn’t utter a word when he heard three different breathes in the room, he just pressed Minhwan’s hand.

“I’m so glad you’re here, now I will introduce you to the composer and choreographer.”

Hyukjae was excited; he frowned when he heard a scoff.

“I guess you’re wrong Mr. Park, we’re waiting for Silver not this…”

Hyukjae tried to remember the voice and he spoke calm, he didn’t want to show his surprise, he didn’t want them to know he was blind.

“Donghae? You have changed if it is you.”

Donghae frowned feeling Hyukjae was mocking him. Kyuhyun glared at Minhwan’s hand without noticing.

“I see, you two are still together, you look good, one cheater for another.”

Minhwan frowned and Hyukjae was stunned in place, that voice… his lips uttered the name he hadn’t say for years.

“Kyuhyun…?”

The named felt that foreign feeling inside him, and he felt his bowels revolving, he wanted to throw up.

“You already forgot me? I see…”

Kyuhyun said bitterly, feeling anger inside.

“What are you doing here?” Kyuhyun turned to Mr. Park “Where is Silver? I need to hurry so I can start the composition.”

Mr. Park felt tension and quickly said.

“This is Silver, and the co-composer is Mr. Minhwan, the two are the best korean people in Broadway, you’ll be working with them.”

Donghae widened his eyes “What!!”

Kyuhyun turned quickly to Hyukjae.

“Silver?”

Hyukjae couldn’t see but his ears were perfectly hearing as he smirked, he wasn’t gonna show any weakness.

“Silver is my stage name, I’m Lee Hyukjae, nice to see you again. Kyuhyun-ssi, Donghae-ssi.”

Minhwan closed his eyes, feeling the acid tune in Hyukjae’s voice and he smiled sadly at Kyuhyun before pulling himself strong.

“As you see, Hyukjae and me are gonna be working with you. You can ask us anything, don’t feel shy, also don’t bother Hyukjae with meaningless questions or task, I’ll do them.”

Minhwan turned to Mr. Park, he felt Hyukjae’s tight hold and sighed.

“We want to introduce two more persons, but they’re…”

Donghae stood “I’m gonna introduce some people too, you already know them though.”

The door opened and Hyukjae turned don’t knowing who were there.

“H-Hyukjae sunbae?”

Hyukjae couldn’t recognize the voice as he nodded and felt a tight hug, he felt tears over his shoulders and hugged back when he heard.

“I miss you. I knew you would come back.”

“Oh, sorry, maybe you don’t remember me, I’m Taemin.”

Hyukjae smiled warmly and tilted his head.

“I miss you too Taemin, you’ll be working here?”

“Yes.”

Hyukjae frowned when he heard a cold “Look, it isn’t the treachery of sunbaenim? Life treats you well after dropping us, right?”

“Jongin?”

“At least you remember my name, you know how much I wanted you back and you never even sent a message, I would be fine with just a ‘hi’, I never thought you would be as rumors say, I’m so disappointed, sunbae.”

Hyukjae sighed and when Taemin pulled off him, he scoffed.

“Am I your mom? Dad? I have my life too, you don’t need to worry about anything else, just dance as you know and shut that mouth, I never texted you, because you wouldn’t felt that as enough, so quit that useless reclamation. Since you don’t respect me as sunbae anymore, let’s work coolly and finish this.”

Jongup gasped, he felt this wasn’t Hyukjae. Taemin widened his eyes, and felt worthless when he saw Jongin expression and he knew, Hyukjae was there but not with them anymore. Changjo held his sardonic smile.

“I see… sorry, I never thought I was less than nothing to you.”

Kyuhyun who was silent clenched his fist, he never knew Hyukjae could be like this and he was mad, didn’t knowing why, suddenly from the door, between the boys stepped confidently two shapes.

“Oh, Hyuk! We’re late, traffic is horrible!”

Hyukjae smiled as if nothing happened and the boys felt more betrayed when he turned to Mr. Park with a wide grin.

“Let me introduce you, these two are the best dancers I know, they can perform as main character.”

The youngest smirked and Jongin felt that Hyukjae’s grin wasn’t for him anymore, his years practicing for having his sunbae attention crumbled in the moment Hyukjae introduce that young man.

“This is Wu Yin Fan, call him Kris, it’s half korean, he is perfect for the lead role, and him, he can take a main role but since he is older than the current casting, he can be a perfect choreographer.”

The man stepped with a nice smile and Mr. Park bowed.

“He is Hangeng. He is the best, and is half korean as well, please considering them as part of the casting.”

Mr. Park was utter delighted as he nodded.

“Hyung?”

Taemin uttered with rounded eyes. Hyukjae turned to him and smiled sadly, before turning to where he knew the door was.

“If you want to show me I’m wrong; then stop worrying about useless things and win over those two, they’re recognized by me, not as you.”

Hangeng shrugged and Kris smirked. Hyukjae didn't think the boys would be there but was fine, that way they can improve, Kris and Hangen could bring out their best and he grinned, maybe this wasn't too bad.

"I still hate you."

Hyukjae flinched, taking Minhwan's hand and walking out of the room. His heart pounding in pain and Kyuhyun grimaced feeling anger boiling inside him.